2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 15 of 17)

Jun 142010

2006 Ford Freestyle lunges and engine dies. Does this when putting car in reverse or drive, and also when turning wheel tightly to get into parking spaces. It doesn't do this every time, but enough to make us concerned with the safety of the car. It will lunge forward or backward, and will go about 2 or 3 feet and you have to be sure to have your foot on the brake or you will hit something.

- Trussville, AL, USA

Aug 232010

I purchased this vehicle because I have five kids I drop off and pick up from school. About 8 months ago while waiting in the school line during stop and go traffic, I took my vehicle out of park and into drive when my car lunged forward. I pressed down on my brakes even harder because the car felt as if it was going to take off. Then I put it in park. The wrench and emissions light came on and the car stalled. I turned the engine off and on again and it started back up, but it happened to me four more times that day before I could make it home. When I took it into the dealer they said the part I needed was not available. The best they could do is clean out the part it needed. They charged me $300 gave me a warranty for 6 months and told me to use a fuel cleaner every other tank. Now 9 months later it is doing the exact same thing. Only this time my A/C is also going bad. The passenger and rear cabin are blowing out hot air, and the drivers side is blowing out cold air only when driving.

- Pharr, TX, USA

Aug 242010

We own a 2006 Ford Freestyle with 34,540 miles. We are experiencing the car lunge forward automatically without depressing the gas. This is happening while @ a stop (in drive), shifting from park to drive, and we have also experienced this when shifting from park to reverse. When the car has lunged - the brakes are then applied - the car has stalled. I have talked with the norco ca Ford dealership service department - they acknowledged this is a common issue with Freestyles and requires a $900+ throttlbody part replacement. They said their is no recall on this part.

- Corona, CA, USA

Jun 232010

Our 2006 Ford Freestyle has been giving us problems for the last two summers. It seems that when we run the A/C the car will sometimes surge forward when pulling into a parking space or coming to rest at a stoplight/drive-thru. There have been a couple close calls with hitting other vehicles in front of us. It has also stalled and the transmission light has come on numerous times. It seems that we must turn the car off to rest and then start it back up for the issue to be fixed. We are now very careful when we run the A/C because this seems to affect it somewhat. We recently took our car to the dealership and they told us we needed to replace the throttle body which would be $500 for the part without labor. We simply cannot afford to fix the problem now and are praying for safety. We will no longer buy a Ford and when contacting Ford we were told there was nothing they could do about the problem.

- Waynesboro, VA, USA

Aug 182010

My 2006 Ford Freestyle, jumps forward and backwards. It sputters as if it wants to shut down. I have taken it to the dealer several times after it started but they said it didn't do it with them, of course not. This is dangerous! when I am stopped at traffic lights I am holding brakes because it lounges forward with such a force. It also happens when I put car in reverse. There needs to be a recall on this throttle immediately.

- Helena, AL, USA

Aug 072010

The engine on my 2006 Ford Freestyle revs up on its own at low idling parking lot speeds. The wrench light then illuminates on the instrument display and the engine stalls. Upon restarting the engine the wrench light stays lit and the vehicle accelerates sluggishly. This problem has happened when backing out of parking spots and when driving in stop and go traffic.

- Belle Chasse, LA, USA

Jul 102010

Put vehicle in reverse and it accelerated backwards. Almost hit a car, but luckily me vehicle shut off before we hit. (foot was on brake when I switched gears, but still accelerated) accelerated in bank drive thru and then cut off again. Went to gas station after and put it in reverse with foot on brake and it accelerated back. I put it back in drive and drove home praying. Per Ford throttle body was cleaned and has been better, but still accelerates in drive and reverse. Ford should fix this problem before someone is killed. We should not have to pay to fix a problem they had dealings with. The car owner's never did and some of us can not afford their mistake.

- Florence, SC, USA

Aug 102010

2006 Ford Freestyle - sudden acceleration in reverse and drive without driver intent. Has happened 12-24 times in 2010. After research it is caused by throttle body failure (presumably). Seems to be a common defect in this Ford. Very disturbing!

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jul 162010

My 2006 Ford Freestyle (with approximately 60K miles) accelerates suddenly on its own when transitioning from a parked position and while idling. Even when my foot is on the brakes, it dangerously jumps and proceeds with an extreme amount of speed. This causes difficulty when it occurs while parallel parking. Additionally, the car stalls suddenly, without warning and the wrench light comes on. Went to Ford dealer and they charged me $108 to check the car and tell me that the throttle body and mass airflow sensor needed to be replaced. The Ford service person indicated that the part was on back order for about 3 weeks as this is a common problem with this vehicle. Three weeks has passed and they still do not have the part. I now understand the part cannot be located in any other city and that it may be atleast another 2 - 3 months before the part is available anywhere in the United States. No one offered a loaner car or anything. For this to be such a common problem where the part is on back order indicates to me that Ford should be fixing the problem and/or compensating consumers who need vehicles (while awaiting this part and repair) that work safely. When parts are on back order indicating a demand, Ford must be aware of the problem. Yet the expected wait time on the part has increased which means they are doing nothing to stand by their product or make certain that safe vehicles are on the road.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 082010

2006 Ford Freestyle wants to go on it's own (meaning accelerate)when pulling in or backing out of a parking space. Then when you hit the brakes real quick to get the car to stop it will stall out. So far I have not hit anything from these events that have taken place, but fear it is only a matter of time. The situation seems to be getting worse. I believe this is good enough to be considered for a safety recall. This is the only family vehicle I have, I have 3 children.

- Newport News , VA, USA

Aug 022010

Throttle body failure occurred at 40,400 miles during family vacation w/4 passengers. Symptoms began while crossing the hoover dam. Vehicle lunged/surged forward in 1st gear (had to hold brake tight and slip into neutral to avoid impact with car). The following day the vehicle lunged in reverse (nearly striking pedestrian in parking lot). Vehicle began stalling and continued lunging/surging over the next 30 mins until arrived at dealership. Powertrain and engine warning lights were lit. My complaint is not related to the cost and the availability of the part, but the safety factor. I was aware of this problem (from online info) and knew what to do quickly enough to avoid an accident. The average consumer (driver) would not understand what is happening and have the ability to think quick enough to slip into neutral. Additional info: Throttle body issues occurred in high temp (110 range), low elevation and humidity. Anti-twist engine mount (dogbone) was replaced 4 days prior. From internet search, I located one other throttle body complaint of Freestyle just having upper engine mount replaced (engine mount may require removal of throttle body).

- Oro Valley, AZ, USA

Aug 042010

I have a Ford Freestyle 2006 with about 110,000 miles on it and I was in a parking lot and put my car in reverse and the car accelerated full throttle and I almost wrecked the car and then drove another mile and it stopped doing anything and I let it drive to the side of the road. It had a wrench light illuminated. I then waited about 10 minutes and then my car was able to start up and drive myself home. I had 3 small children in the car and was scared it would accelerate again but made it 40 miles home and now I sit here reading this and waiting till Ford opens so I can call and report this issue. My throttle body has been replaced when the car had only 50000 miles on it and also had the transmission replaced at 90000. I am wanting to get my car fixed but this is the same thing that happened when throttle body got replaced before and now I see they are on backorder. This is awful this car should be on national recall. I spent a lot of money on this car and it should last this long!

- Phil Campbell , AL, USA

Aug 012010

2006 Ford Freestyle P2106 throttle actuator control (tac) system - forced limited power I believe you know the problems, etc. From the many other complaints!

- Campbellsburg, KY, USA

Jul 282010

It just started lurching when you let off the brake, I have almost hit the car in front of me because of this. I have been told this problem is caused by the throttle body assembly. It happens in my drive way, at fast food drive thrus, the bank. I have yet to fix it because the part is on back order through Ford. I have tried to locate one on the internet. This part is about $500. It happens sporadically so you never know when it'll lurch. It scares me and who ever is with me.

- Andrews, NC, USA

Jul 272010

The vehicle surges in forward and reverse without warning. This occurs randomly; typically at least hourly when driving in-town. I have read that Ford says the problem is the throttle body.

- Delaware, OH, USA

Jul 252010

The throttle body in my 2006 Ford Freestyle was causing my car to either stall or lunge out of control. Trying to pull into traffic, the car stalled in front of oncoming traffic. Then began working as normal. A few days later the car began to lunge forward or backward when the transmission was shifted. Would lunge when in drive and stopped. Took to dealer, and they replaced with a new throttle body. I do not have the old one. Ford knows there is a problem. They have been backordered for most of 2009 and into 2010 on this part. They have changed the replacement part to a new one, with different part number. Thousands of cars have had this issue. Cars can stall at highway speeds, in traffic. Or can suddenly lunge forward even when the brake is depressed.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Jul 262010

2006 Ford Freestyle, throttle body assem. Sticking and lurching. Creates a very dangerous driving situation as the vehicle will rev unexpectanly, at lights-signs in parking lots etc., loss of power on a busy freeway!!!, throttle body backlog for up to 6 months so car owner is forced to either drive or park.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jun 082010

The throttle body in the 2006 Ford Freestyle. Unexpected acceleration, revving of the motor.

- New Windsor, NY, USA

Jul 012010

Vehicle accelerates went first put in gear (especially reverse). Sometimes dies after the acceleration. Recurrent problem. Dealer says throttle body needs to be replaced, parts on back order.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jun 232010

While driving the car it would ide up and the spit and sputter alittle after wards. Brake would hardly hold car from taking off. While on vacation it would either take off or die. Took to dealer and they had to replace the throttle body on it if ord knows of this problem then why are they not fixing it" is it like the brakes" (there is no problem with them either.......)

- Neville, OH, USA