2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 16 of 17)

May 072010

My 2006 Ford Freestyle has 74575 miles and has recently started this same surge that everyone else is complaining about..once it starts to surge forward...even with foot on the brake... it will often not pick up speed just limps along..the limited power that everyone is complaining about. This only seems to happen with the A/C on and only if it is hot. Esp if sitting in traffic or idling. If foot is not firm on the brake it will jump ahead and sometimes the engine dies. Once it does that the wrench lights up on the dash and then there is very limited power..pressing the gas doesn't speed up the goes, just not fast. Turn it off for 5 minutes and it starts up and runs fine (??) the check engine light came on last week for 2 days and I took it to advance auto and they gave me these codes :P2106 (limited forced power) & P061B (torque converter control module) guy there said it was probably transmission and would need to be has the cvt transmission but the gas mileage has never been over 22 and usually is about 20. I read lots of folks get 26+ it shifts smoothly and I am driving it daily..but am fearful of running into someone.. if so many of us are having this issue why will Ford not do something about it"?"

- Bessemer City, NC, USA

Jun 052010

Freestyle 8-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle lunges forward. It was several weeks from the first time this occurred to the second time, but now it is doing it almost all of the time. When it is hot outside and the engine is warm the throttle has a mind of it's own. It seems to happen most frequently when parking such as shifting from park to drive, park to reverse, or drive to reverse, but have also had it happen when stopping at an intersection. The vehicle just tries to run away with itself, the limited power light comes on and a couple of times it has stalled when this occurred. The problem is the throttle body. Had the codes ran at the Ford service department at my local dealer and they said they have seen over 20 cases of this same issue. I live in a very rural area and I didn't even think there were that many Freestyle's in this area. I was told by the dealer to file a complaint, and they maybe they would recall the defective part. I believe this part needs recalled as a matter of safety. Last week I almost hit a man in a grocery store parking lot as I put the vehicle in reverse to back out of a parking spot. He was walking behind the vehicle and I had my foot on the brakes but when the car decided to throttle by itself the braked did give a little and the man proceeded to use vulgar language and some sign language.

- Park Hills, MO, USA

Jul 092010

Our 2006 Ford Freestyle lunges/surges when going from park to drive or park to reverse. It is occurringgg more frequently and with greater surges. This has also happened when driving at slow speeds such as pulling the car into the garage or a parking space. The vehicle has been doing this for at least 1 year and has approximately 84,000 miles on it. We have replaced the brakes pads and rotors with better than oem parts on the advice from our non-dealer mechanic so our brakes hold the vehicle pretty well when these surges occur. However it still lunges or surges and we feel that it is becoming increasingly unsafe to operate.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jun 242010

After starting, and shifting into reverse, car surges backwards without acceleration. Increasing frequency and severity (speed). Dealer is replacing throttle body.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jun 282010

When pulling into parking spaces, or out of the driveway, and/or reducing speed to stop, my 2006 Ford Freestyle 58K will suddenly lunge forward. When you prevent the sudden acceleration by applying the brake, the wrench light will come on and sometimes it will stall. The Ford dealer stated that it was carbon build-up and told me to put a can or two of sea foam in the gas tank. After running two tanks of gas, problem still persists. Major safety issue. Ford needs to support their customers and recall/fix the defect.

- Durham, NC, USA

May 022010

The problems started when I was backing out of a parking space. The car surges whether it is in drive or reverse...will continue to accelerate even when brake is applied. I have had to shut the car off completely to get it to stop. Other times it will surge, then stall completely. In addition to this happening after restarting, the car won't accelerate normally. This happened while trying to get through an intersection. Not safe.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jun 132010

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle had surging problem in reverse -- revved-up from 900 to nearly 2500 RPM of its own Accord, shot backward, then cut out -- happened with increasing frequency and severity -- on date below it happened in a parking lot and caused the car to hit a pole -- on a previous date it cut out while backing out onto a street from a parking space, endangering my passengers -- the dealer had to replace throttle body -- he said it was a "known issue" -- why isn't this a safety recall?

- Indianola, MS, USA

Jun 032010

My 2006 Ford Freestyle surges forward (or back) when taken out of park. Occurs more frequently when placed into reverse. Occasionally, the car will also stall after surging when the brakes are slammed to stop the car and a yellow wrench light will appear on dash. Brought to dealership and they can not replicate. No codes. Has happend about 20 times in the past year.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

May 282010

No crashes, but very concerned that the car lunges forward often. It also has experienced power failure on 4 occasions in the 4 years I have had it. For example, often when I am in a parking lot and put the vehicle into either drive or reverse it lunges. I always keep my foot very firmly on the brake and it groans sometimes under the strain. When I pull into my garage slowly, with foot on brake I go to put into park and it will try to lurch forward when coming to a stop. It is like it does not want to stop. I am very careful and have not hit anything but am worried as this seems to be happening more regularly. I took it into the dealer in August of 2009 and they said they could not find the problem or duplicate it. I took it in again today June 3, and they could not find in their records where I had it in last year. I showed them my receipt as proof. I have been told it is a throttle body problem, but they will not just clean it, they say it needs to be replaced at a cost of $700 to me and is not covered under my warranty. (said it is injection system, not my powertrain). I have only 44,000 miles on this vehicle, and it was doing this at 34000 last year (actually even before that it did it, but that is the first time I took it in for this problem). The problem happens more commonly as time goes by. I am listing as the 'incidence date' the most recent one, but its happened for two years now. Last week it stalled out at a drive through window.

- Clemmons, NC, USA

May 152010

Sudden acceleration when putting car into drive or reverse. Seems to happen most often when running the ac. Parking and pulling out of parking spaces is very dangerous as acceleration happens at slow speeds when usually in close proximity to other cars and people. 2006 Ford Freestyle with 60,000 miles.

- Monticello, AR, USA

Apr 162010

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle it has a problem in surging and lurching most in reverse you have to hit the brake to stop and then it stalls and a warning light with a symbol of a wrench comes on my wife took it in and was told it was the battery"?" which we had put in... but it still did this is a real issue.. this has been happening for about 10 months now. I cleaned the throttle body butterfly the other day so not sure if that will help.

- Lehigh Acres, FL, USA

Aug 132009

2005 Ford Freestyle car attempted to accelerate while changing from reverse to drive in parking lot got car to go after driving a few blocks car failed to accelerate from a red light. An investigation will reveal this to be a recurring problem with this vehicle with no corrective action from Ford.

- Stonewall, LA, USA

Aug 252009

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle with approx. 69000 miles. The vehicle has started to surge in reverse or drive when my foot is on the brake. I have taken my car in for service and was told that the problem is with the throttle body. I was also told that the part is not available and may not be in until late September. This vehicle is my only means of transportation and I fear having an accident do to the sudden surging. I have also found many complaints on-line about this vehicle with the very same problem.

- Etlan, VA, USA

Aug 172008

2006 Ford Freestyle has 64,000 miles on it and was told that the throttle body is bad. After looking into this on line I see that the majority of owners of the 2005 and 2006 are having the same problem. This ais a safety issue because when waiting to go and move the care will lunge forward and could hit another car or yet a person.

- Chester, VA, USA

Aug 012009

2006 Ford Freestyle loss of the ability to accelerate on highway during traffic. Have to pull over and restart to reset. Happens randomly every time I drive the car. Ford says it is a throttle body unit failure, but can do nothing since the part is back ordered for 6 months and has been for over a year. Two tsb's over the course of two years, but no recall on a part they cannot even keep in stock for over two years due to the constant failure. Now my wife and family are in danger every time they drive the car until the part is available which is always changing and never a firm date.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jun 212009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly began to lose power and decrease in speed. The vehicle would not gain speed when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The throttle control transmission light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop and the mechanic stated that this was a common failure. A diagnostic test was performed and the failure ceased when the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was not repaired and the contact drove to her residence. The dealer stated that a diagnostic could not be performed unless the failure was present. They assumed that the failure was due to the throttle body of the engine. The failure recurred a month later while the vehicle was idling. The contact placed the vehicle into reverse and then back into drive. The vehicle accelerated and quickly stalled. The emission system light illuminated and the failure occurred three times in one day. The following day, the light remained illuminated, but there was no failure. They took the vehicle to the Ford dealer for diagnostic testing, which confirmed the throttle body failure. Through research, the contact verified that this was a common failure with her make and model vehicle. The manufacturer stated that they would not be responsible for the repairs. The vehicle is currently at the contact's residence waiting to be repaired. The failure mileage was 70,000 and current mileage was 71,000. Updated 09/14/09. Updated 09/14/09 updated 09/16/09.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 122009

This complaint is in addition to complaint #10277570. After writing my initial complaint as explained I have found out that Ford quit using the initial manufacture of the throttle control unit that failed. They just recently came out with a replacement part that requires modification of the system and we understand that they are quickly running out of this part. Even our service reps feels this should be a recall item. Especially if they cannot keep the parts on the shelf.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 152009

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle that needs a throttle body replaced. I cannot get the part because of a national backorder for this part. I have heard from several local dealers that this part is needed very often of this vehicle. I am waiting for this part and hope that my car will continue running. If this part has to be replaced so often, why is it not on a national recall?

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 112009

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle. A light came on indicating a problem with the drive train. The car would not shift or accell. I took it in to the dealer and found it needed a new throttle assembly. We were told it was on back order for 6 months, then after complaining they said that part had been discontinued and a new part with an adapter kit was available. It seems that the dealers that had the part did not want to part with them and we got the impression that this part which is a safety issue was failing on a lot of the cars. We were told that the original part manufacture was no longer doing business with Ford and that is when they had to find someone to make a replacement. The original part had a cooling tube to it and the new one does not. It seems from what I have been hearing that this should be a recall item, especially since it is due to the safety of the car. We had purchased an extended warranty on this vehicle and when we took it in we were told that this specific part was excluded which made me wonder why unless there have been other cases like this.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 012009

When we drive our 2006 Freestyle, many times it runs rather fast and it's like it will get away from us. It usually happens when we are backing up and turning to the right. This happened one time and it choked off. When this occurred another time, the "wrench" light appeared. It will run "fast" and we need to really get on the brakes to have the problem disappear. We will be taking it into our local Ford dealer to have the problem checked.

- Tucson, AZ, USA