2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 4 of 17)

Oct 112013

Freestyle 6-cyl

We are a California couple in our 70S, living on social security and a teachers pension. In 2012 we bought a 2006 Ford Freestyle for $11,000. It was in immaculate condition and had just 26,000 miles. After less than two years and an additional 20,000 miles, the transmission failed suddenly and completely. The total mileage of 46,000 is barely three-quarters of the way to the first recommended servicing, factory-set at 60,000 miles. We were told by a repair shop that there are no rebuilt units available for this transmission and a local transmission expert refuses to work on these units, a cvt (constant velocity transmission) and the only option is a new replacement that costs $5,000 for the part and $1,000 to install. A little research revealed many cases of early failure for these transmissions (used in the 2005 through 2007 model years), even very early failures for replacement transmissions. It also revealed a class-action lawsuit over failures of these transmissions. Such common failures seems to make it inadvisable to install a transmission salvaged from a wrecked car. How has Ford dealt with the problem" the local dealer has been friendly and helpful, but we did not buy the car from them, we are no¿T the original owners and the six-years of warranty had just expired¿ and it is no¿T a dealer issue, it is a matter of the poor quality of the manufacturer¿'s part. So how has the Ford corporate office dealt with the problem" they offered X-plan pricing and credit for two monthly payments if we would buy a new Ford. We met with a salesman, and he said he could make a better offer simply through the flexibility he has in pricing. Informed of this and given an offer to share in our loss by selling a replacement transmission for $1,500, a Ford corporate office representative said they would not budge.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Dec 162013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while attempting to accelerate, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test, who stated that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The contact did not have the transmission replaced. The failure mileage was 89,000. The VIN was not available.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 292013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Thursday, November 29,2013 I noticed a noise in my engine compartment. I took it to my mechanic he said it was the transmission and to call the dealer. We called the dealer they said to get a transmission it would be a remanufactured one using our old one for the core and would be about 48 hundred dollars however they can't get one. I now have a car I can't drive or sell.

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

Nov 052013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 68 mph, the cbt transmission caused the vehicle to accelerate without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the PCM transmission control had exceeded the current condition. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate mileage was 79,957. The consumer stated two days after the vehicle was purchased, the wrench light illuminated. When the wrench light illuminated, the vehicle sounded and acted like it was stuck in gear. So, the only way to alleviate the issue, was to pull over, turn the vehicle off and back on again.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Sep 172011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Driving at highway speeds, car did a small surge followed by loss of power. Wrench and engine light came on. Once car was turned off, it restarted with no wrench or engine light and seemed ok. It progressively got more frequent. Throttle body had been changed, now being told the transmission is shot and needs to be replaced.

- Comox, WA, USA

Aug 012013

Experienced a drop in throttle response going through a curve/intersection and reduced power...pulled to the side of the road...switched off ignition and restarted. Had experienced the same situation over the past three months and found a Ford recall to clean the throttle body and reprogram the controller. Dealership now tells me that the repair is to replace the throttle body at a cost of over $800

- York, PA, USA

Jul 222013

Freestyle 6-cyl

My car was making a strange noise in park, when put into drive the noise would stop. Sounded like a airplane while idling. When I asked to have it checked while having oil changed, was told it was transmission noise and due to cvt transmission and will not effect the performance of transmission until I feel it slipping gears. Have seen that Ford has had this problem with this vehicle and wonder why they haven't stood behind their product and repaired this issue. I am a widowed mom and don't have thousands of dollars lying around to have this fixed. Bought this vehicle for being able to help Transport my sons boy scout troop to their events and afraid to do so with concern of braking down this scouts in my car. Wish they would fix this issue so customers would not put out pocket to fix, they know the problem exists fix it.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Oct 072013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car wa sin for service at the dealership. When the technician was doing a test drive, the car shifted down and had issues. The Ford dealer is now stating the transmission is broken and it need a new one.

- Chattanooga, TN, USA

Oct 022013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was stopped and restarted and operated as designed. The vehicle was driven to a dealer for diagnosis where the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 75,000.

- Calistell, MT, USA

Sep 182013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I recently purchased a 2006 Ford Freestyle. Shortly thereafter, my vehicle was diagnosed with a growing problem with the cvt transmission. As I started inquiring about repairs, I found that most places, including some Ford dealerships, could not or would not do this repair. This was due to everything from having tried to repair these and the repairs not working (even when done by Ford's guidelines), parts not being available from Ford, and the list goes on. In doing more research, I discovered this is a very common issue with these Ford cvt transmissions, even to the point of Ford acknowledging the issue through tsb's. however, in all of Ford's recognition of the issue, there has been no recall to actually fix the issue. This has put me in the position of countless other owners, facing a steep repair of many thousands of dollars for an issue that Ford knows about but will not take responsibility for.

- Harrison, AR, USA

Mar 202013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the engine rpms increased and the warning lights illuminated as the vehicle began to jerk. The vehicle would also decelerate independently while the contact was driving highway speeds. The vehicle was taken to both a dealer and an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired but diagnosed with a transmission failure as well as an ECU failure. The manufacturer was note made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 133,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 112012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lunges and has poor gas mileage. We have almost been in several accidents and going thru brakes more than normal due to this issue. Ford issued a complimentary customer satisfaction service to clean the throttle body and I am continuing to have this problem. Ford was notified and we were told that its not a safety issue and any repair is my responsibility.

- Atchison, KS, USA

Jun 212012

Transmission went out at 50,000 miles apx. After googling I found this is common with this car. I also am currently dealing with what I think its a throttle body issue. I did a search on and found a 12 page thread of people have similar issues. The car with revved up and lurched backwards and also forwards which is very scary and dangerous. I've had issues with getting the car to go above a certain speed as well. I will put the car into reverse and ease my foot off the brake and not even touch the gas pedal and fly backwards. I am terrified that one of these days I will not be able to stop the car. I am going to have it fixed but from reading others experiences it only solves the problem for a year or two and then they are back to the start again. It seems even this website has over 5 pages of complaints don't you think it is time to do something?

- Pearl City, HI, USA

Aug 172013

As of this part Friday, I had the motor mount torque insert replaced. There was bad shifting, lunging & loss of gas mileage for the past few months. I have noticed that this was not happening in the cooler weather; just since it has gotten hotter & having to run the A/C on maximum. The car was lunging by itself in reverse & drive. Drove it home; did great. Ran alot of errands today & the emission/transmission light came on; vehicle stalled, no compression. A bit of whining (transmission issues) I will get it into the mechanic Monday a.M., but from previous comments from other owners, this is a common problem. Again, definitely not a good thing w/a 2 1/2 year old in the vehicle almost all the time. Checked to see if any recalls & Ford says nothing. Looks as though the last update was in the end of 2012. Maybe Ford is going to pull this together & take care of business. This is a great car other than that.

- Holt, MO, USA

Jun 222013

Freestyle 6-cyl

In ca for funeral, check engine (wrench) light came on. We brought the car to ken grody Ford in buena park. They at first said transmission could be fixed, but during next diagnostics, the transmission froze. Rebuilt trans ordered from Ford. Car left there, we rented one and came home. Our daughter drove the car home on 7/3/13, got 300 miles in to trip, transmission locked up, no power. Towed to berge Ford in mesa, AZ where we live. A second transmission put in. Several incidents of leakage, then picked car up on 8/1/13, got one mile on freeway, smoke coming out of back end. Very dangerous situation now twice for this transmission. It is now 8/6/13, car still not fixed.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jul 242013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle which I purchased in 2006. I have had some past experiences with what appeared to be the transmission slipping when mileage was around 50,000. The wrench light would come on, but then the car would resume as normal and the wrench light would go off. I was told by the dealership service department, that unless they were in the auto when it happened or the light was on, they could not run a code or determine the cause. My Freestyle now has 108,000 miles and this morning I was on the highway to work, the transmission slightly slipped and then when I accelerated, I had no power. I was able to roll to a side road for safety. I turned my auto off and then on, put it in drive and reverse and neither gears worked. My automobile would not move. I have talked to two Ford dealership service departments and they tell me it will be around $6000 (give or take) to replace the transmission. They said that no one will "repair it" due to the "cvt" transmission. I had to have it towed and missed work because of this. Ford should pay, not their customers. I want restitution. Ford needs to recall these automobiles and replace the transmission with one that they know is not faulty. They also need to pay for a rental auto while my transmission is being replaced with a new/reliable/safe one. I am very upset and would like to know where to go from here. I have taken great care of my automobile, regular maintenance done regularly and it looks new. Had I of been on the interstate, I could have been in a serious accident.

- Lebanon Junction, KY, USA

Jun 222013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle was idle while I was waiting to enter into traffic and it lunged forward multiple time. I shut the car off and when I started it again it did not respond when I placed it in drive or reversed. After that it seems to lunge forward whenever it wants to without any reason. I started to read about related issues on line and how owners were contact about this possible issue but I was not. This is a very big safety issue.

- Suncook, NH, USA

Aug 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Driving down the road, press on the gas pedal to accelerate - the traction control and wrench light come on, the engine revs, rpms go up, car decelerates and won't go over 40 mph. Traction control light goes off, wrench light stays on. Have to pull off the road to stop and restart the car - wrench light goes off. Happened 5 times when I was driving over the mountain on I-40 from Tennessee to North Carolina. Not a lot of room to be stopping on the side of the road. Puts everyone in a very dangerous situation. Have been living with this for over 2 years. Have seen many other Freestyle owners with the same problem. It is time for Ford to recall the car and fix the problem.

- Maryville, TN, USA

Apr 272013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The Freestyle cut out on the interstate. Luckily it was in the breakdown lane and no cars were coming. An 8 year old was in the car as well. After spending $1200 on repairs the Freestyle still leaks, and is having the same problems with cutting out, leaking into the car and all the lights coming on. We have spent over $1200 to fix, and the car still has the same problems. The dealership wants us to spend another $1000, and they can not guarantee that will fix the problem, as another Freestyle here in boone has had the same issues.

- Nc, NC, USA

Mar 012013

This car is absolute junk and extremely unsafe! yes, I've had the same throttle body issue as everyone else, and after I took it to Ford for the "warranty" it got worse! instead of surging at low speeds, now the entire vehicles pulses...lights, engine, instrument panel, etc. At 60mph the engine will randomly sputter an the RPM's will shoot way up - every light goes bright/dim, the engine idle goes up and down, the air conditioning pulses and eventually turns itself on and off - then suddenly the instrument cluster goes nuts with the speedometer going from my speed down to 0 and back up, wrench and all kinds of other lights flashing, charging system errors - it's insane. I took it back to Ford and they said it was a loose battery cable (!) and of course after I picked it up it did the exact same stuff going back home. Now it appears I need to replace all 6 coils and the computer for about $1500 - this thing is only worth $3500 at this point and I still owe $9000 - it's a nightmare. Also having the transmission issues - doesn't want to go when you first put it into gear and kind of hops at low speeds - I don't even know how much that will cost. I have two small kids and depend on this vehicle to get me to work and get my family where we need to go an I'm scared every time I get in the thing...with so many of these having the exact same problems I really don't understand how Ford execs can live with themselves and not replace these failing parts. Someone is going to get killed, if they haven't already - I'm desperately trying to find a way to unload this thing!

- Hull, GA, USA