2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 6 of 17)

Dec 032012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was sitting in the drive-thru at mcdonald's when the car suddenly lunged forward almost hitting a pedestrian who was crossing in front of me to go into the store. My foot was on the break the whole time. The car lunges sporadically for no rhyme or reason.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 312007

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic stop light with the brakes depressed, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The engine exhibited a loud, racing and clicking noise as the RPM reading increased. In addition, the throttle warning light illuminated. The parked and powered the vehicle off. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed however, the technician was unable to locate a failure. The dealer replaced the throttle body twice however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to exhibit incidents of suddenly acceleration. The failure mileage was 21,049 and the current mileage was 80,000. Updated 02/26/13 the consumer stated Ford was contacted and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle has needed other repairs including two axles, one water pump, and brake repairs. On 12/20/2012 the vehicle was exhibiting unintended surging. Updated 3/4/2013

- Haubstadt, IN, USA

Nov 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle purchased in June of 2011, returned to used veh dealer twice for various indicators on the dash. In November of 2011 the transmission went out and was replaced with a Ford transmission that was replaced in mid December of 2011. In September of 2012 this transmission went out and caused an axle bearing to be defective and the axle has to be replaced due to the bad transmission that is under warranty. It is January 16, 2013 and Ford still does not have a transmission to replace their bad one. Received word from the dealer that has it we are behind someone else who has been waiting since August for a transmission. Have been on the phone almost weekly and sometimes more than that to get something done. In the mean time we have been without the veh since mid September and no loaner as it is long term and Ford is not helping at all. Even suggested they buy it back and replace with a 2008 Taurus X. we would give them money for the exchange but they are not interested. Were told it could be 6 months before a transmission is available.

- Rhinelander, WI, USA

Dec 212012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled while the contact was driving 30 mph. The vehicle would not accelerate over 10 mph. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer for a diagnostic test and the contact was advised that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 59,500.

- East Orange , NJ, USA

Dec 192012

This is a follow up complaint from earlier. I had to replace the transmission a month after buying my Freestyle. Almost $4000! I have videos of the cars rpms surging as I am driving it. Not a safe car - how many complaints before a Ford recall is made? please tell me someone does not have to get hurt or die first!

- Wilmington, NC, USA

May 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl Diesel

The car will randomly surge when stopped or at low speeds and beginning to accelerate. It seems like it just wants to go from an even idle to floored sometimes, just momentarily. Could happen when you are getting into or out of a parking space, pulling out of an intersection...doesn't seem to be any particular conditions. Lately has started to shudder at mid speeds (15-40 mph) and surge ahead as if you were moving the accelerator pedal, even though your foot is stock still. Getting to be a little uneasy having my wife drive the car.

- Macon, GA, USA

Dec 302009

Freestyle 6-cyl

Throttle body failed twice. Had repaired because vehicle lunged and almost hit a lady at kroger grocery store. Foot was firm on brake. Very dangerous in my opinion. I'm a Ford Motor Company employee and I've heard this problem from friends at work.also engine races sometimes.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Oct 312012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph uphill, the engine rpms began to increase rapidly. In addition, there was no engine power with an illumination of the check engine warning indicator. In addition, the transmission began jerking violently. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where they informed the contact that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 89,000.

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Nov 142012

This has happened twice. After driving on the interstate for about 60 miles@80 mph the wrench light started flashing and care would shut down. Transmission fluid was spewing out the vent tube. I had the transmission replaced and 2 months latter it has happened again. I have been following up on this issue and it seems a lot of people are experiencing similar problems!!!

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Sep 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Can be driving any speed or stopped and lose ability to accelerate. Have to pull over turn ignition off and restart the car, problem fixed for a little while, frequently while merging to an E way, or hilly areas, Ford mechanics have looked at car and cant tell us what is wrong, people who engineered car have looked at it and cant give an answer. Due to problems with car we owe more than it is worth now and cant trade in with recurring problem. Ford needs to step up and handle this problem.

- Allegan, MI, USA

May 302011

Freestyle 6-cyl

In the summer of 2011 our Freestyle began to surge as far as two feet while driven at low speeds and also while at a complete stop, surging forward or backward when in reverse, revving loudly and subsequently stalling. Concerned, we took the vehicle to our Ford service department. The Ford service department told us that the problem was uncommon (not true) and did not mention any service bulletins before reprogramming our Freestyles PCM and replacing the throttle body.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 262012

Freestyle 6-cyl

On September 26, 2012 at approximately 7:15 am, while driving approximately 55 miles per hour on a major highway, approaching an intersection of another major highway, our Ford Freestyle quickly lost acceleration. The gas pedal did not react to the driver, when depressed the only reaction from the car was revving of the engine (RPM¿'s). The vehicle was safely ¿¿glided¿¿ to the shoulder of the busy intersection. Our Freestyle had experienced a complete transmission failure. Ford was unable to repair our Freestyle due to no longer manufacturing the transmission - it was on back order and unable to be purchased by us to repair the car. It was sold for scrap at 55,600 miles and 27 days past the 6 year bumper to bumper warranty.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 032008

Had to replace transmission right after warranty ran out. Was major deal at the time but now have just been told we have to replace transmission again for the third time. After researching on the internet I have seen that this is fairly common problem. Looking for answers or assistance on this issue has put poor taste regarding future ownership of Ford vehicle, unless problem is only with C.V.T. transmission.

- Sebastian , FL, USA

Nov 152012

Lurching or sudden acceleration.

- Hudson, NH, USA

Oct 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle has a lurching problem and now it is getting more often than not, and extremely slow speeds, it wants to take off. I have had several near accidents regarding this and I can't seem to find out if Ford knows about this issue, are they doing anything about it, or is it easier to sue after the accident. Help me, please.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Oct 022012

Freestyle 6-cyl

For about 6 months prior to 10/02/12 I began to have intermittent problems with my Freestyle lunging forward in drive and your foot was on the brake, or lunging backwards at slow speeds in the same scenario. It had gotten so bad that troubles started bleeding over into the gears not catching when I put it in drive or reverse. It was throwing tons of codes, so I ended up having it towed to the dealership. They read the codes and said the throttle body needed to be replaced and hopefully after it's replaced the other codes will go away. So after a bill of $1038. The throttle body was fixed, or was it" my problems only continued, now we were into the cvt transmission. With my car still throwing tons of codes, it was determined that the tranny was bad. As I hung my head low, knowing what this involved, I kept trying to reset the codes and see how long she would go before she gave up again. 3 tows later and to a transmission shop, I ended up with a $3000 rebuilt transmission :-( the throttle body is a known issue, but yet Ford doesn't have a recall and is allowing its loyal customers to pay out the ying-yang for this thing. The tranny, the same thing, because it's a cvt 'very special and no one works on them' lol, tons of people have done the same thing and only had the option to replace the tranny. I am so upside down in my car and tried like hell to get into another one but to no avail, did I mention I only have 75,000 miles on my car"! this is a tragedy to me. I've been a loyal Ford owner for my entire life, and it saddens me to see so many customers that have the same car and are getting shafted because 'big money' doesn't want to address an obviously dangerous issue. Hoping that by stating my concerns and what I had to go through that something will be done. I have my receipts and that's great and all but I'm also out $4, this economy, that sucks for me.

- Lake Hughes, CA, USA

May 072011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I pulled into my garage, placed the car in park, turned it off, returned in 30 minutes, started right up, placed transmission in reverse, heard and felt a large bang, whining noise from engine, wrench light came on, that was the last time I drove it. I had it towed to a shop, replaced the computer, recoded, reflashed, nothing worked. I was told it needs a new transmission. New transmission estimate is $7000...Ford should be held accountable for a flawed design...I was fortunate in that my transmission failed in my garage, others were not so lucky. Please dont wait until someone's family is killed before you force a much needed recall on some seriously bad research and development.

- Pipersville , PA, USA

Oct 272012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving the car revved up. The wrench light came on.took to shop the next day had the following codes. P0871, P0961, P0701. Told I need a new transmission at the tune of $6000.

- Gorham, ME, USA

Oct 242012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light the contact attempted to accelerate but the vehicle failed to respond. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The mechanic stated the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Bartonville, IL, USA

Oct 162012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I went to put my car into park and my car accelerated had to jump on the brakes with both feet car stalled restarted it had no power and recently transmission was making noise had loss of power I would step on the gas and the car wouldn't move I would shut the car off and restarted it and it would be fine then one night I was driving it had my kids in the car and my car lost all drive gears no acceleration car would just not move left us stranded my car only has 77000 miles on it and its only 6 years old I should not be having these kind of problems with it I have been reading on line there's alot of people who owns the 2006 Ford Freestyle are having this same problem so with all these complaints why is there no recall on this car I got the car back in January from my father who passed away I finished paying it off for him he bought it brand new and now there's alot of expensive repairs that I cant afford I don't want to get rid of it has alot of sentimental value it belonged to my deceased father.

- Ticonderoga, NY, USA