2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 8 of 17)

Jun 012010

Freestyle

The car surges, jumps, sometimes acclerates and I put on the brakes and it will sometimes die. Mainly happens when I am in reverse/forward or the air conditioning is running. Also, does this when I am idling in a parking lot or at a traffic light. I have taken it to auto repair shops and they think it is the computer. Couldn't afford to do a new computer so thought I would hold out, since it doesn't do it all the time. Now it is starting to get worse. I turn the air off when starting out. My wrench light comes on and I don't have much power and my rpms get up to 4 when driving 50mph. Turn the car off and it is like it never happened. The car is dangerous to drive with my kids not knowing when it will happen in busy traffic, ,will it die and someone hit me" this isn't normal and I have found out my car isn't the only one doing this same thing. Will it really take someone getting very hurt for something to be done" what justice is that and knowing that this problems exist. First time buying a Ford and will probably be the last time. I don't trust them. You have a problem you fix it. That is integrity & trust. Love for someone from Ford to come with me for a day and ride in bumper to bumper traffic and see how our day goes.

- Fairfield, IA, USA

Aug 112012

Freestyle

Backing from driveway into the street, car surged but was able to stop it when brake applied. At that point the vehicle stalled. Able to restart and continue without incident but warning "wrench" light was on indicating throttle / transmission fault was detected and service required. After restarting later that day no problems noticed and no warning light. This was the most severe case so far but had noticed some small surging in prior weeks both in reverse and drive when starting out both from cold start and from restart conditions. Further research suggests this is a well know throttle body problem for Ford Freestyle / 500 / montego models from 2005 / 2006 timeframe. Safety risk is significant, cannot let other family members or any less experienced operators drive this vehicle until the problem is addressed. Replacement or at least maintenance for this known faulty system should be provided at no charge by the manufacturer.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 132010

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was stopped and in a line of vehicles in a parking lot with my foot on the brake and the engine surged. Fortunately, I had my foot on the brake with sufficient pressure to keep the car from lunging forward. This occurred several times while in the parking lot with the engine going into (limp mode) forced limited power mode. I drove the car directly to the Ford dealer where the car was purchased. The mechanics did not detect any diagnostic trouble codes and sent me on my way. Since then there have been probably six (6) more events without the engine going into forced limited power mode. In all events the engines surges to approximately between 1500rpm and 1800rpm with the car in drive and the foot securely on the brake. The event generally lasts less than 5 seconds. All events occurred during summer months. Last event was this past Wednesday when my son was driving the car. I witnessed the event as a passenger. The two codes that came up are P2106 and P061B. I purchased a tester to read the codes. Current mileage is 77995. Researching the potential cause of this problem led me to your site and prompted me to file a complaint.

- Wayne, NJ, USA

Jun 042009

Freestyle 6-cyl

First time it happened car lunged forward at shut down, died completely. 30 minutes later was able to turn it over. Mechanic said it needed throttle body but it was on national backorder until August 2009. So had to drive it home. Happened quite a bit throughout that time until I realized that it had a lot to do with having the A/C on. It happens even without the A/C on sometimes at lights, stop signs, and in parking lots, and also when in reverse it lunges in that direction as well; sometimes at very high rate which is scary. Have 3 children and cannot fathom why this car has not been recalled. I still owe money on it and now it is sitting in my mechanics garage because the cvt transmission went out.. 5 weeks now and I do not have transportation because I cannot afford to fix the cvt transmission that alot of other people are having the same problem with.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jun 112012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While backing up the car lunges when foot is still on the brake. Car will occasionally lunge forward when pulling out of a parking spot or when stopped at traffic light or stop sign. Very unsafe!!!!!! must make sure my foot is on the brake hard when stopped or be ready to quickly brake when backing up. The ac is sometimes on when this happens and the temperature is in the upper 80's. we live in Colorado springs, co and 80 degree temp are pretty hot here. Lately it has been in the 90 degree + range and the issue has been happening more. My wife mostly drives this car and our teenage daughter, new drive with a permit, is learning to drive, this is not safe!!!. please put pressure on Ford to fix this safety item. Seems like may others are having the same issue. Will it take for someone to be seriously hurt or killed before this gets looked at" how many accidents major or minor has this caused? how many insurance rates have increased because of these accidents" please do something about this!!!!!!!

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 062012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle surges mainly in reverse, but also does it in drive at times. The first time it surged I thought maybe my foot had hit the accelerator and dismissed it. I started driving this car in October of 2010 and had not experienced the problem until then, but now it happens frequently. I have no idea about previous owners or the car's history so I only know how it has been maintained since I have owned it. Also there are 2 technical service bulletins that are also wrong with my car. Tsb 07-1-8 and 06-11-4 I think that since Ford knows there are problems with this cvt transmission that they ought to recall the vehicles and repair them.

- Brookhaven, MS, USA

Mar 262010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car ahead of me had run off the freeway due to snow. I stopped to see if he was ok. Once I started up, I pushed down hard on the gas pedal to accelerate and be up to speed for the traffic coming up behind me. The pedal stuck to the floor and the car kept accelerating. Once it reached 75mph, I held down firmly on the brake and was able to stop the vehicle. I turned off the engine and then restarted. As soon as I put it in drive, the car took off again accelerating on its own. I quickly hit my foot to the gas pedal and was able to knock it loose and the car slowed down. The dealer said it was a faulty gas pedal and I had it replaced (at my cost). The problem still continues to this day. The dealer continues to tell me that there is no problem and there have been no complaints about the vehicle. After that first incident, there was one time that I had started the car in my garage and drove down the street. Once I turned the corner, the car accelerated on its own, lunging forward but I was able to stop it. At that time, I was told it was a transmission problem and the dealer did the repairs under warranty. Even after that work, I still have a problem with the gas pedal sticking.

- Franklin, WI, USA

Oct 032011

Freestyle

My car speeds up with out any warning when in reverse. So far I have been lucky and only scraped the front bumper on the garage door. Two different Ford dealers cannot find a reason for this problem.

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Jul 282012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Wife was driving on I540 near raleigh, nc and car "wrench" icon came on and car decelerated quickly causing a dangerous condition. Car was unable to be driven and required towing to a safe place. Appears that the throttle controller malfunctioned causing the car to be disabled temporarily. After the car cooled the throttle worked but we elected not to drive until a local mechanic could check out this condition / problem. We towed the vehicle on a trailer to local garage near our home.

- Tarboro, NC, USA

May 272012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While traveling home from holiday, my wrench light came on in the car and we could smell the engine beginning to overheat. My engine was trying to lunge forward even though I had the cruise control on. My vehicle then started to decelerate and I barely made it off from the highway via an exit ramp. Pulled over, turned off the car and opened the hood to let the engine cool off. I thought the problem may be gear or transmission related or perhaps bad gas. I tried a trick told to me by mechanic friend to back up the car and go forward approximately 40-50 feet, stop the vehicle and repeat the movement again to reset the transmission controls. I also added fuel injection cleaner and filled the tank again. After fuel injection and letting the car sit, it was okay for the rest of the trip. Had another incident just recently (July 2012). The same wrench light came on and my car once again lunged and decelerated and I had to pull off. Luckily, there was a gas station at exit again. And, luckily, I was able to maneuver through traffic when decelerating without harm to my family. I bought more fuel injection cleaner and filled the tank. I then let the car sit again. That seemed to help. We made it home after another rest stop for the car. Shortly after, my husband used throttle body cleaner to clean out my fuel injection pathway. He removed air connection and found the throttle body to be clogged with gunky material and sprayed a good dose of the cleaner into it while I gunned the engine to clear it out. I am now using fuel injection cleaner with every gas fillup to mitigate the problem. I know I probably need to replace the whole throttle body, but I am leary from what I've read on internet with others having same problem, replacing throttle body and then it having to do it again a year later. I am going to fix car and then probably sell it. Not safe anymore.

- Jackson, MI, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle

Car lunges at low speeds or when parking or backing out of parking spot.

- Lockport, KY, USA

Jun 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine speed will surge and vehicle will lunge forward or rearward, depending upon which gear the transmission is in, at unexpected times. Always noticeable near 0-2 mph with A/C on, foot on or off brake pedal, may or may not be turning. We have scared people in crosswalks and drive-thrus with this. It scares us as well.

- Council Bluffs, IA, USA

Jun 102010

Freestyle

The vehicle is in reversed gear or forward. It only happened when the brake pedal was pressed down the vehicle losses power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the failure was caused from the throttle box. The vehicle was repair the fist time. And for the second time the vehicle was fail with the previous problem and was taken to a private mechanic. The private mechanic diagnosed the failure was the throttle body box. The vehicle warning lights illuminated. The manufacture was not notified. The failure mileage was 71,000 and the current mileage was 91,000.

- Beenton, AR, USA

Jul 172012

Freestyle

My family was sitting in the car while it was parked in drive. It stalled out and made a strange sound that sounded like a problem with the transmission. I have noticed that when it is hot it seems to accelerate on its own. I have noticed that it usually happens at low speeds and reverse. I feel that this is very dangerous. I have researched this car online and have read that this has happened to quite a few of these cars. I wanted to make sure that this defect has been noted. Thank you for your time.

- Orlando, FL, USA

May 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle can make sudden acceleration when moving slowly. This has happened twice to both my wife and myself. When arriving into our driveway prior to get vehicle into garage with foot on the brakes and in "D" car has a sudden jolt or acceleration. Fortunately because the brakes stopped the car nothing happened but this could be a problem if brakes do not stop vehicle or if sudden acceleration occurs without warning.

- Fairfax Station, VA, USA

Jul 172012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Throttle surge upon backing up. Foot on brake, thank god, while backing when vehicle surged backwards.

- Akron, OH, USA

Jul 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Freestyle and it has the lunging problem with the air on and or the steering wheel being moved. Happens every time we back out of our driveway or parking spot, sometimes sitting in an intersection waiting to turn also. The car surges in both reverse and forward without warning. This hasn't caused a crash (yet) but I don't like my wife driving my three children in a car that does this!! and to be clear about the first date of occurrence, I put today's date because we have owned this car for a couple of years now and did not know there was an investigation into this. The surging/lunging problem happens every day and has been getting worse.

- Medina, OH, USA

May 192012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have had 8-9 instances where the car lunges forward in parking lot type situations. I had to make sure I didn't have half my foot on the brake and half on the gas. It was 100% on the brake, but felt like someone was pushing the gas at the same time. Back in may, I had a different issue. I drove to the local grocery store 3 miles away. On the way, it started running rough, acting like I was about to run out of gas (I had filled it earlier that day.) I pulled over. A wrench symbol appeared on the dash lights. I couldn't find anything wrong. I continued to the grocer. After shopping, when I backed out of the parking space, the car lunged, then stalled. It took a bit, but I was able to get it restarted. I drove home, but it wouldn't go faster than 20 mph. The next day, I was going to take the car to the dealership, but it was running perfectly. It's been 2 months now and the issue has not recurred, but I'm very leery of taking the car on a long drive. I don't want to get stranded far from home.

- Petoskey, MI, USA

Jul 022012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving at a low rate of speed the vehicle will lunge in forward and reverse.

- Glenpool, OK, USA

Mar 102009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car lunges while stopped or going in reverse. Has done this for a long time..my wife is driving this car now and has bumped into post/almost lunged into passing car when backing out of parking spot.

- Arvada, CO, USA