2006 Ford Freestyle drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 9 of 17)

Jul 082012

Freestyle

Air temperature was 100 and my 2006 Freestyle was idling. Then, when stopped in city traffic, car surged unexpectedly requiring me to press hard on the brakes, then stalled. This happened twice. After sitting and cooling for 2+ hours, the car ran fine. However, check engine light remained on. Because I am on vacation, I took the car to a dealer. The service department determined the problem was related to the throttle assembly, which he said was pretty common. Replaced the assembly for $1300 for fear the problem could happen again on the highway.

- Vienna, WV, USA

Jul 012008

Freestyle

We bought a used Ford Freestyle in 2008. Since that time, we have had recurring problems stemming from a defective throttle body. It has been in-and-out of the shop, while various mechanics tried to figure out the problem. Finally, approximately two years ago, I did my own research (discovered the countless reports of problems with the Freestyle) and specifically requested that the mechanic replace the throttle body. This was after having surges in rpms and lurching of the car (while sitting in traffic with no foot on the accelerator), and also dead stalls in the middle of intersections and oncoming traffic when attempting to accelerate. This fixed the problem until several months later. Next, we replaced the entire transmission last spring (the vehicle would shift down to first gear at cruising speed, e.g., on the interstate, then go into "limp" mode). In addition, apparently there is also a systemic issue with the design of the Ford's scroll compressor, which began showing symptoms this past spring. Thankfully my (new) mechanic replaced a $40 valve in the compressor, instead of the entire $1000 compressor (which the Ford folks recommended). Approximately two years later, we are replacing the throttle body for a second time today (it is currently in the shop) because of issues with surges in acceleration and stalling in traffic and loss of power. The mechanic just told me, "as a friend, I'm telling you: As soon as this car is fixed, you need to sell it. You will continue to have recurring problems with it." We bought this vehicle for around $10,000, and I'd estimate we have spent nearly that much in repairs over the past four years. I'm just thankful that my wife and children were not seriously injured in the meantime. How can Ford sell such an unsafe vehicle with no recourse? as soon as I can afford another vehicle, I'm selling this Freestyle.

- Auburn, AL, USA

Jul 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car suddenly accelerates on its own. Happens in very hot weather, A/C on, in idle, no contact is being made with accelerator pedal, car stalls, when restarted engine light and wrench lights are on and car does not run properly. Feels like it is in first gear and doesn't go above 60mph.

- Millington, MD, USA

Jul 032012

Freestyle

Engine surges while in gear at low speed causing the car to lurch unexpectedly forward or backward.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jun 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Cvt transmission bad and has to be replaced. There is a recall on the torch converter on the cvt trans but replacing it doesnt really fix the problem even though it was the cause of the original problem. Once it goes bad you have bits and pieces of metal floating around all over everywhere else and the transmission just goes regardless. Useless recall. Also, the ac only blows cold at high speeds....when driving slow in town it blows warm and I'm having electrical problems with the windows....goes down when I pull up or wont go at all.

- Boise, ID, USA

Jun 302012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle for over a year has lunged forward or backward depending on gear it is in. This only takes place when the A/C is on in the vehicle. This is inconsistent but happens more often than not. The lunge is drastic enough that it is a hazard and has caused several issues in the past. The problem has continued to worsen. Dealer has not been contacted at this point but was on the list to been seen next week. All required maintenance has taken place up to this point. Today was the worst part of the issue. While traveling 75 on the interstate, the "wrench" icon on the information panel came on. At this point all acceleration was disabled and could not keep up with the flow of traffic. The vehicle could not get above 60 in order to find a safe place to park and created a significantly hazardous situation. In researching the issue, I have found over 242 filed complaints on the same problem. We will be dropping the vehicle off at the dealer asap. How many reported incidents does it take before something is done about this issue" or will it take a loss of human life to take notice of the numerous filed complaints"

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Apr 232012

Freestyle 6-cyl

After purchasing (as a used car) for my daughter, vehicle began rapid acceleration and 'lurching' unexpectedly when shifting into forward or reverse. After several days, this was compounded by occurring when starting and stopping in traffic during brake application. I had the filters replaced (air and gas) and the problem seemed to have gone away. I asked my dealership, during my first inspection after it's purchase, wether there was a tsb in regard to this issue and would they please check it out. They alleged that they had no record of any defect regarding this issue and no tsb had been issued. They did however refuse to complete the inspection until I allowed them to overhaul the rear brakes w/new rotors for quite a kingly sum! (so much for a promotional 'free inspection'.) last night I had to Venture out and retrieve the vehicle from my little girl after the car kept 'lurching' everytime she used the brake. While she was waiting in an intersection attempting to make a left turn, the car 'lurched' and stalled in front of oncoming traffic. After restarting the car an engine light and a 'wrench' was now visible on the dash, and the car had absolutely no accelerator! due to our flat terrain I was able to bring the car home on an idle at a speed no greater than 10 M.P.H. once safely home I tried a trick that used to work on the fleet busses I once worked on. That was rapidly turning the ignition switch on-off, on-off repeatedly about 10 (ten) times, then leave switch on and start it. This seemed to have cleared the 'wrench' and the accelerator was restored. The engine light did not clear. I've put tires, struts, strut mounts etc. Into this car to make it safe for my daughter to drive, yet I can't allow her to use it. 4 of 5 cars I own are Ford, 2 being 2006 Freestyles, and this is the only one that I have had a problem with. What recourse do I have now?

- N. Merrick, NY, USA

Apr 032012

Freestyle

I was parked outside my apartment, went to put my vehicle in reverse and it lunged backward and then the vehicle shutoff. Once I got my car to start again I went to drive off and it lunged forward. This is an everyday occurrence with my vehicle.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Jun 252011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Ford Freestyle 2006 lunged backward approximately 2 to 4 feet while the transmission was in reverse, my foot was fully applied to the brake, and the vehicle was not moving. This has occurred many times in the same manner, and in similar situations over the past year. The temperature outside is usually in the 90's or above, I usually have the air-conditioning running, and the car will start to loose power with the tachometer visibly dipping down to zero. The car will then suddenly race to 2000 rpms, and the car will lunge backward (or forward) while my foot is on the brake. When this happens in reverse, it is impossible to apply the brake hard enough to stop movement. When this happens in drive, it is possible to apply the brake hard enough to stop movement, and the car engine will die.

- Gothenburg, NE, USA

Apr 142012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford freestar. The contact stated while driving 70 mph the vehicle stalled without warning. The rpms increased and the gears locked. The contact was able to coast the vehicle onto the emergency lane. The vehicle was towed to a dealer a diagnostic testing which located the failure within the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 120,000.

- Saint Augustine, FL, USA

Mar 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Same as others. Car lunges forward and/or backward when slowing to park, or just moving slow or idiling. Almost ended up over a berm at sam's club because of this problem. Very scary! taking car in to dealership on Monday. Vehicle surges when idling or going slow. Accelerates at times like parking or moving through parking lots or when stopped at stoplights.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 212012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that she shifted into reverse in an attempt to reverse from a parking space when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The check engine light was illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and proceed without the failure recurring. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 90,000.....updated 08-24-12 the consumer stated the brake pedal was depressed when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The vehicle was taken to dealer and was told the throttle body and top motor mount needed to be replaced. Updated 08/29/2012

- Lawrenceburg , KY, USA

Jun 122012

Freestyle 6-cyl

On multiple occasions the vehicle has lurched forward or backward without having my foot on the accelerator. Applying the brake has stopped the car. The rear bumper was damaged when it hit a light pole. It seems to happen more frequently when it's warmer outside and when running the air conditioning. I'm very concerne someone might get injured. My wife has also had this happen to her on multiple occasion. I've read a number of similar complaints on the internet. I believe this vehicle should be recalled. I'm a mechanical engineer by degree and can state with certainty that this is a dangerous condition especially in a parking lot where it most frequently happens. I won't even attempt to backup the vehicle if someone is nearby in case it has one of these fits. Please keep me posted on any recall updates. Do the right thing, force the manufacturer to own up to the problem and take care of it. I took it in to have it fixed, but nobody seems to know or is willing to say what's wrong. They just offer to change out a lot of parts in the hopes of hitting upon the problem. That's too expensive of an approach. Does Ford know the source of the problem" will they share that information with their dealerships or the consumers"

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Jun 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My issue started almost a about a year ago. I was in a parking lot waiting for my son and had air conditioner on and we sat for about 30 min. As soon as I pushed brake in and about to put in D we lunged a couple of times and I was able to stop with brake. I tried again and we lunged again. I put in R and we bolted out of spot. Luckily no one was behind us. Finally was able to get in D and then we stalled. I've had the transmission cleaned and fluids replaced, but we have been having the same issue over this past year.the latest episode was when I finally got the car to drive and I was barely moving. I was on a busy road trying to go past 10mph. I am seeing tons of complaints about this same issue and am wondering why this hasn't been solved"???" it is obviously a defect. Why wait till someone gets killed and then sues.

- Watauga, TX, USA

Jul 022010

Freestyle

Vehicle suddenly lurches forward without pressing the accelerator. Seems to happen when just starting to move or sometimes while coming to a stop.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Jan 042012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The transmission went out in my 2006 Ford Freestyle, my extended warranty ran out at 60000 mile. It cost me $7000 out of pocket to make the repair. This really put a burden on me financially.

- Fort Worth , TX, USA

Mar 132012

Freestyle

Vehicle suddenly accelerates at low speed both when moving forward and when backing up. This sometimes results in a stall. Vehicle also lost low end power.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Dec 092009

Freestyle

I purchased my 2006 Ford Freestyle in June of 2007. Initially I fell in love with the comfort, size, and gas mileage of my new car. Around 2 1/2 yrs later I started noticing when moving from park to reverse my car would sometimes stall or lunge backwards. It was only occasionally and at the time I was told I probably didn't have it in gear all the way before reversing. I had to switch from park to reverse very slowly and always be ready to hit the brake in case it decided to lunge on its own. This problem has almost completely gone away except now I have problems accelerating. Almost always on the highway now my car will loose power and the wrench light will come on. Once I pull over and restart it, it seems to temporarily solve the problem. This is however beyond dangerous. Several times this has happened in places on busy highways where there is no shoulder. I have to travel in the slow lane now 100% of the time and I try to avoid major interstate at all costs. I have invested a great deal of money into several different things that have turned out to not be the problem. I feel like this car should have been recalled by now, before it ends up killing someone. I bought this car because it seemed like a great family car but now I am scared to death to even let children ride with me. I am also very upset that after paying down over a 20K loan to 5K that I will have to buy another car. I planned on having this car for years and years. I attempted in 2009 and in 2011 to trade the car in for a new car and the $ value of trade in is very low. The dealerships are well aware of the problems and offer a very small amount for a 7 passenger 2006 with only 85K miles on and it gets great gas mileage compared to most SUVS or vans that seat 7.

- Columbus , GA, USA

Jan 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While stopped at a traffic light, parking lot (not in park) or drive through the vehicle frequently lunges forward (or backward if in reverse). Applying brakes stops this, but we never know when it's going to lunge and we've had several close calls where we almost hit other vehicles.

- Anna, OH, USA

May 312012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Experienced an engine surge and lunge while waiting at a traffic light with my foot on the brake. Panel lamp (wrench) came on. Then when trying to accelerate through intersection could not increase velocity, as if I was sort of stuck in "low gear." I pulled off of roadway and stopped the engine. After restart, problem seemed to be recurring but began to function more normally. On the next restart (trying to drive to repair shop) there was another episode of lunging when trying to stop (foot on brake, not accelerator.) pretty scary. My shop found codes, did research, and subsequently replaced throttle-body and a broken upper engine mount. They also re-flashed the computer. 1 month ago they had replaced the battery. Drove home ok, and no issues in last few days, but have read anecdotes that these problems continue once they start. Don't know what % of Freestyles do this, but it is a real and dangerous problem on those that do. I'm afraid to put my wife back into this vehicle!

- Cumming, GA, USA