2006 Ford Freestyle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 132010

While idling in park with A/C on, put vehicle in reverse or drive and vehicle began to quickly accelerate without pressing the accelerator pedal. Had to quickly press the brake pedal to avoid running into people/vehicle. Even with brake pedal being applied, vehicle tends to lurch in reverse or drive. This began occasionally at around 70,000 miles but now happens continually. Ford dealer said it is a common problem on this model and is caused by a part that is on back order for months. Vehicle is unsafe to operate.

- Murrieta, CA, USA

Sep 092010

2006 Ford Freestyle surging when brake is on. Problem is worse when the ac is running. This is a very dangerous issue. It happens when you do not want to go such as tight parking spaces, school parking lots, drive thru fast food places, etc. The car will also have a big surge and then lose power. Happened to me in a busy intersection. Awesome car but the safety is being compromised and needs to be addressed.

- Hollidaysburg, PA, USA

Jan 052008

Sunroof/moonroof leak: Possibly allows water inside vehicle every time it gets wet. Brought the vehicle to the selling dealer approximately 16 mos. Into warranty. I thought it was a windshield leak at first and the service rep told me I would have to go to a glass company. I explained that I had not had any glass replaced on the vehicle and that it was a Ford problem, to which they responded that they would check it out. When I returned to pick up the vehicle they told me that they could not find the leak. I asked if they had put water on the car roof and they said they had not to which I questioned how can you find a water leak without water? I refused to pick up the car and they said they would try water. The next day they called to say the leak was repaired, that there was a service bulletin about the moonroof leak, and that they had rerouted the drains to fix the problem. I believed them. I forgot about the problem until March 09 at which time I was out of warranty and was told by a customer service rep in dearborn that I would have to have it evaluated at a Ford dealer at my expense.I declined roughly one year later it is back again and I have concerns that it probably will lead to mold, if it hasn't already, and that because the water stays above the headliner, the wiring for my rear brakelights as well as the side curtain airbags could possibly be compromised, in addition to leading to premature rust through or rot where the water eventually comes out.also I feel betrayed by Ford because I have copies of other tsb's which pertain to my vehicle but were not taken care of because I did not complain of those symptoms at the time of service and now that I've realised I have those problems it's too late for them to be covered. I believe every new vehicle owner should receive notice from the manufacturer about every problem concerning their vehicle and that every time a dealer services a product under warranty, that all tsb's are checked and acted upon.

- Rockland, MA, USA

Jun 212009

Vehicle will surge forward while at a full stop or while braking/decelerating with no warning. Usually happens when A/C is running on full fan. Wrench light will go on when it occurs and car will run very sluggish until car is turned off. At restart, (if air is off) wrench light is off and car runs ok. Ford service dept in 2007 and 2008 said if they can't duplicate problem, can't help. This is the third summer it has occurred and is occurring more frequently. Finally brought it to service dept for repair. They said they hadn't heard about this although I am finding several reports of exact same issue online and at NHTSA. They replaced the electronic throttle and a "computer" part.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Feb 082009

At the beginning of February, my kids wanted to watch a dvd in the car while I was cleaning the driveway. I put the keys in the ignition (I did not start the engine) for the dvd to work, put on the dvd and start cleaning the driveway. Few minutes later I have seen a big smoke coming from the outside passenger side mirror. I have checked the mirror and it was in flames. I took the kids out of the car, took the keys out of ignition, remove the back cover of the mirror and put out the fire which was coming from a bundle of wires inside the mirror assembly.

- Commerce, MI, USA

Aug 182008

I was driving 65 miles an hour on the New York state thruway when without the warning the recently and continually maintained vehicle stopped running. After 4 dealers contacted found one who would look at car that week I was 3 hrs from home on vacation. It was determined to be a broken wire in a harness that runs the crank shaft? no explanation how this could possibly happen from Ford but not covered on any warranty. Cannot ever even check this harness as it is enclosed. Seems to be an awfully dangerous defect......

- Babylon, NY, USA

Nov 112007

Freestyle 4-cyl

I have had nothing but issue after issue. It started with my brakes failing like several others that I have read. It now surrounds my 6 cd player that either melts or won't play. I have had it into the Ford dealership a few times to no avail. On 03-12-08 the electrical panel only lights up partially, and after shaking the front dash board a few time all lights popped on. I have talked to service managers and they have done what they have the ability to do. This vehicle is a 2006 Ford Freestyle and I would not recommend it to anyone for purchase.

- Battle Ground, WA, USA