2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jul 032012

Engine surges while in gear at low speed causing the car to lurch unexpectedly forward or backward.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jun 292012

After filing a complaint on or about 6/28/12 (ODI number 10463545) in regard to another 2006 Ford Freestyle I own and operate, I now have to report the identical defect with my other 2006 Freestyle. After parking my first Freestyle until repairs can be made, this Freestyle (now being reported) has become the major transportation vehicle of the household. Now this vehicle has begun surging in rpms and 'lunging' whenever the brake is released. This occurrence was in 95 degree weather with the air conditioner running. I don't know if the outside temperature plays a role in the defect occurring but both vehicles were at maximum operating temperatures, had been running for a length of time whereas a higher 'cold engine' idle would have no bearing on the occurrences. Since I haven't an extended warranty on the first vehicle I reported on 6/28/12 (a recent purchase), I have ordered an electronic throttle body w/tps (non-heated which is obviously a Ford supercession) and will attempt to replace it myself as a cost savings measure. Since filing my issue I've found via the internet that others with the same problem have paid upward of $1,200 to have this work performed. After ordering my parts I have discovered that this particular throttle body was installed on 2005-2007 Ford Freestyles as well as their Ford five hundred (of which I also own a 2007 model year of with approx 20K miles). Is there any truth to the rumor that bad luck always comes in three's? I certainly hope not!! as of earlier this morning (7/01/12), with a cool temperature of 75 degrees F., this defect did not re-occur, but my other vehicle also began to 'act up' as an intermittent problem that eventually wouldn't go away.

- N. Merrick, NY, USA

Apr 232012

Freestyle 6-cyl

After purchasing (as a used car) for my daughter, vehicle began rapid acceleration and 'lurching' unexpectedly when shifting into forward or reverse. After several days, this was compounded by occurring when starting and stopping in traffic during brake application. I had the filters replaced (air and gas) and the problem seemed to have gone away. I asked my dealership, during my first inspection after it's purchase, wether there was a tsb in regard to this issue and would they please check it out. They alleged that they had no record of any defect regarding this issue and no tsb had been issued. They did however refuse to complete the inspection until I allowed them to overhaul the rear brakes w/new rotors for quite a kingly sum! (so much for a promotional 'free inspection'.) last night I had to Venture out and retrieve the vehicle from my little girl after the car kept 'lurching' everytime she used the brake. While she was waiting in an intersection attempting to make a left turn, the car 'lurched' and stalled in front of oncoming traffic. After restarting the car an engine light and a 'wrench' was now visible on the dash, and the car had absolutely no accelerator! due to our flat terrain I was able to bring the car home on an idle at a speed no greater than 10 M.P.H. once safely home I tried a trick that used to work on the fleet busses I once worked on. That was rapidly turning the ignition switch on-off, on-off repeatedly about 10 (ten) times, then leave switch on and start it. This seemed to have cleared the 'wrench' and the accelerator was restored. The engine light did not clear. I've put tires, struts, strut mounts etc. Into this car to make it safe for my daughter to drive, yet I can't allow her to use it. 4 of 5 cars I own are Ford, 2 being 2006 Freestyles, and this is the only one that I have had a problem with. What recourse do I have now?

- N. Merrick, NY, USA

Jun 252011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Ford Freestyle 2006 lunged backward approximately 2 to 4 feet while the transmission was in reverse, my foot was fully applied to the brake, and the vehicle was not moving. This has occurred many times in the same manner, and in similar situations over the past year. The temperature outside is usually in the 90's or above, I usually have the air-conditioning running, and the car will start to loose power with the tachometer visibly dipping down to zero. The car will then suddenly race to 2000 rpms, and the car will lunge backward (or forward) while my foot is on the brake. When this happens in reverse, it is impossible to apply the brake hard enough to stop movement. When this happens in drive, it is possible to apply the brake hard enough to stop movement, and the car engine will die.

- Gothenburg, NE, USA

Jun 182012

Freestyle 6-cyl

We were in line at a fast food drive thru and the vehicle suddenly lunged forward, the tach RPM went from about 800 RPM (idle) to about 2600 RPM. Foot was on the brake at the time so it only moved about 6 inches. We parked in the parking lot and were ready to go and it did it again. An engine lite came on that indicated something from the transmission to the throttle was amiss. We shut the car off and waited a few minutes and restarted the car and the engine lite was off. So far we have not had another incidence and its been a week and about 300 miles since the occurrence.

- Kent, OH, USA

Jun 212012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving the Ford revs up and down, while it is doing this it lurches forward and I lose all dashboard instruments, I cannot use the air conditioning because it makes the problem worse.the scary part is I have my family in the car when all this happens. On Thursday June 21 I was driving down the highway at 50miles an hour when suddenly the car RPM revved up and down on its own the speedometer went out, the lights all flashed. The car was lurching forward, and it was worse when I was attempting to slow down. My daughter stated"I am scared" I cannot believe that this has not been recalled, when we were at the Ford dealership we bought the car from we told them what was happening, they didn't even offer to look at the car or seem to care. The problem is very unpredictable, one day it runs good then all of the sudden it freaks out.

- Oak Harbor, WA, USA

Jun 142011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Ford Freestyle has had engine surging issues for approximately a year know. Today 6/21/2012 my car started surging at every stop light so severely if we weren't holding down the brake we would of hit the car in front of us. The problem became so severe we had to put the car in neutral at every intersection to keep car from trying to jump into the intersection and stall. Today's temp was in the high nineties and we were using the air conditioning. Today's incident was the worst its been. Went on line and search the symptoms and found that a lot of Freestyle owners are having the same issue. With the safety of the car owner and pedestrians that could be near the car in jeopardy. Ford should be recalling these cars and trying to find a permanent solution to fix this rather then charging the owners high dollars to replace a defective designed part with the same defective part.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Sep 102009

Freestyle 6-cyl

When coasting or idling car suddenly lurches forward.

- Bethalto, IL, USA

Mar 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Same as others. Car lunges forward and/or backward when slowing to park, or just moving slow or idiling. Almost ended up over a berm at sam's club because of this problem. Very scary! taking car in to dealership on Monday. Vehicle surges when idling or going slow. Accelerates at times like parking or moving through parking lots or when stopped at stoplights.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Jun 212012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that she shifted into reverse in an attempt to reverse from a parking space when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The check engine light was illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle and proceed without the failure recurring. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 90,000.....updated 08-24-12 the consumer stated the brake pedal was depressed when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The vehicle was taken to dealer and was told the throttle body and top motor mount needed to be replaced. Updated 08/29/2012

- Lawrenceburg , KY, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while reversing, the vehicle lunged forward abnormally and stalled. The contact stated that the lunging occurred while the air conditioner was activated. The contact did not take the vehicle to a local dealer for a diagnostic test. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Malden, MA, USA

Mar 202012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that after accelerating from a stop light, the vehicle jerked forward and then stalled. After restarting the engine, the vehicle continued to jerk and decelerate. The vehicle would not accelerate beyond 10 mph. The check engine light constantly illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was notified and stated that there were no recalls or warranties covering the failure. They offered no other assistance. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- Hopewell, VA, USA

Jun 142012

The car idled high while in a drive through line with a foot on the brake, it did this twice. After it idled back down and my wife removed her foot from the brake, the car lunged forward. Luckily, there was enough distance between the cars to avoid an accident. She slammed her foot back on the brake, the car idled a little longer then died.

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Jun 102012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car was sitting, parked in a lot, idling for about 10 minutes with the air conditioner running. When I put it in drive and let my foot off the brake, the car lunged forward as the RPM's first revved and then dropped. The car did this a few times, but once I got turned around toward the exit of the lot, it stopped doing it. About 20 minutes later, in a grocery store parking space, it did the same thing as I was backing out to leave. The car had sat running for another 10 minutes or so with the air on. This time however, the car idled up and then down, lunged in reverse, and then idled so low it died. Once I restarted it and finished backing out of the space, I turned the air down to low fan speed and the car was fine the rest of the trip back home.

- Holland , MI, USA

Jun 102012

Sitting at a light with my foot on the brake and my car starts lunging forward.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

May 312012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Experienced an engine surge and lunge while waiting at a traffic light with my foot on the brake. Panel lamp (wrench) came on. Then when trying to accelerate through intersection could not increase velocity, as if I was sort of stuck in "low gear." I pulled off of roadway and stopped the engine. After restart, problem seemed to be recurring but began to function more normally. On the next restart (trying to drive to repair shop) there was another episode of lunging when trying to stop (foot on brake, not accelerator.) pretty scary. My shop found codes, did research, and subsequently replaced throttle-body and a broken upper engine mount. They also re-flashed the computer. 1 month ago they had replaced the battery. Drove home ok, and no issues in last few days, but have read anecdotes that these problems continue once they start. Don't know what % of Freestyles do this, but it is a real and dangerous problem on those that do. I'm afraid to put my wife back into this vehicle!

- Cumming, GA, USA

May 132012

Motor surge, leaching out of control.

- Independence, MO, USA