2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Jun 242010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine stalls out at highway speed. Happened when we first got the car several times in 2008, dealer fixed something after two tow-ins, 2 years later same thing. Dealer claims cannot find anything wrong, no service bulletins. I suggest the car is unreliable for my wife and disabled son, may need to get a more reliable car. They agree with me! they suggest throttle body could be bad but it is real expensive and may not fix the problem anyway. I do 10 minutes of internet research and find that Ford has a known throttle body problem with the exact symptoms we have had now for 3+ years and a major supplier problem (and long loaner car expenses while finding part!). first, why has Ford not recalled this problem? second, is it ethical to tell an owner to just keep driving the car even though it will break down, as they told me to do. This is a safety problem! (sudden deceleration with no power to engine, brakes and power steering as it did on I-45 last Thursday leaving my wife and disabled son stranded in the middle lane of the freeway). Third, is Ford going to make this right?

- Nassau Bay, TX, USA

Jun 062010

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle 85,000 miles. Car began lurching forward when in drive and backward when in reverse at about 70,000 miles. June 2010 car lunged forward in a parking lot and almost hit car in front of me. Took to dealership next day and for $920 they replaced the throttle body in one day. Never mentioned they were aware of the issue.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jun 032010

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle surges forward (or back) when taken out of park. Occurs more frequently when placed into reverse. Occasionally, the car will also stall after surging when the brakes are slammed to stop the car and a yellow wrench light will appear on dash. Brought to dealership and they can not replicate. No codes. Has happend about 20 times in the past year.

- West Lafayette, IN, USA

May 062010

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle 2wd suddenly loses power and shuts the engine off, while driving. This generally happens within the first mile or two and usually after a cold start, though sometimes it is only 20-30 minutes since the car last ran, so I'm not sure that qualifies as a cold start. Each time, I am able to put the car in park and the car starts back up immediately, on the first attempt, then doesn't fail again until another trip. It does not happen every time I drive the car, however, and so far I can discern no pattern or predict when the failure will happen. It is currently at a Ford dealer, who has been able to replicate the problem and is presently looking for a solution, as this is incredibly dangerous and could lead to a serious accident. I am quite upset, as I just purchased this car, and the problem was not at all evident during the test drive or the 90+ mile drive back to my house.

- Williamsburg, KY, USA

Aug 012009

Freestyle

My family's 2006 Ford Freestyle has surged from an idling position on two occasions: August 2009 and May 2010. Both problems occurred on hot days when doing a lot of stop/go driving and maneuvering/parking in tight spaces. On both occasions the "check engine" light stayed on but the dealer was unable to diagnose the problem. I am now very concerned that the car may be involved in an accident and am becoming aware that this is a persistent problem with this model car.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 012009

Freestyle

Surging of 2006 Ford Freestyle sel when going from idle. Vehicle will surge from 1000rmp to 2500rpm when going from a stop and not applying gas. This occurs after car has sat at idle for 2+ mins. This has happened since 5/2006.

- Graham, WA, USA

Aug 162009

Freestyle

On 4 occasions this summer I had my engine surge while I was maneuvering in a parking lot. The engine raced and luckily I had my foot on the brake each time so I was able to avoid smacking into something. On two other occasions the engine lost considerable power while I was driving on the road. The yellow wrench light came on. I pulled over and turned the car off then restarted it. At restart the vehicle ran normally again. I'm told that Ford is aware of the problem and the vehicle probably needs a new throttle body but the parts are on backorder.

- Spokane, WA, USA

Aug 182009

Freestyle

The engine of my 2006 Ford Freestyle suddenly revs up to 1500 to 2000 RPM from idle, with my foot on the brake firmly. This happens any time, but more often with the ac on. I had to shift to neutral to prevent hitting someone or something.

- Woodside, NY, USA

Jun 212009

Freestyle

Vehicle will surge forward while at a full stop or while braking/decelerating with no warning. Usually happens when A/C is running on full fan. Wrench light will go on when it occurs and car will run very sluggish until car is turned off. At restart, (if air is off) wrench light is off and car runs ok. Ford service dept in 2007 and 2008 said if they can't duplicate problem, can't help. This is the third summer it has occurred and is occurring more frequently. Finally brought it to service dept for repair. They said they hadn't heard about this although I am finding several reports of exact same issue online and at NHTSA. They replaced the electronic throttle and a "computer" part.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Sep 022008

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle stopped in gear unintended acceleration when foot lifted from brake.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Jun 052008

Freestyle

I experienced a sudden and unexpected surging or acceleration of my 2006 Ford Freestyle on several occasions back in December 2007. The car had other engine problems and the entire engine was replaced in may of 2008. However, over the last month I have experienced continuing sudden surging problems and at a gas station recently, I nearly rear ended the car in front of me due to the surging. It happens most often when it starts up or when it is idling and then I start to go and the accelerator surges. This could be extremely dangerous, especially if a person was near my car when it surges unexpectedly. Ford cannot seem to fix the problem. The surging is now happening daily.

- West Jordan, UT, USA

Jun 272008

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The vehicle jerked forward when the contact attempted to place it into gear. Afterwards, the engine sputtered and shut off. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and they stated that the throttle body unit was the cause of the failure. Since the vehicle was out of warranty, the dealer only charged her $142 for the repair. The contact asked the dealer if the vehicle was safe to drive and was informed that it may not start. Most recently, she was informed that the throttle could stick and she may be unable to stop the vehicle. The contact was also informed that there was no dealer in the United States that had the part required for the repair. The current and failure mileages were 36,935. Updated 09/16/08 updated 09/18/08.

- Duluth, GA, USA