2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 11 of 30)

Mar 162012

Freestyle

I left my house with 2 of my children and was stopped at a red light when my car started to bounce back and forth. It was extremely scary and my kids were panicked. Then, it seemed as though my car wanted to stall out, but luckily I made it back home and had to have it towed to the dealer for repair.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Aug 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact was driving 5 mph when the vehicle increased acceleration unexpectedly despite the brakes being depressed. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 114,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Mar 012012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at low speeds, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The vehicle returned to normal when the brake was applied. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and the current mileage was 80,000.

- Gig Harbor, WA, USA

May 182011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. After starting the vehicle and shifting into reverse, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The vehicle was not diagnosed and no repairs were made to the vehicle. The current mileage was 124,000 and the failure mileage was 85,000.

- York, PA, USA

May 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Not sure on date when incident occurred, but the vehicle would start lunging even while brake pedal was engaged. Problem worsened over a short period of time to where it would cut off multiple times. Also problem would get worse while air condition was on. One day pulling into a parking spot one day the vehicle lunged forward causing me to hit a parking block. Damage was done to the front bumper only. Eventually it got to where we were unable to drive the vehicle. Has been parked for several months. Will crank up for a couple seconds and will cut off.

- Kannapolis, NC, USA

Oct 052011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving in reverse approximately 2 mph, the vehicle speed suddenly increased with the illumination of the wrench symbol. The contact was able to stop when the brake pedal was engaged. The failure was sporadic at various speeds. In addition, on separate occasions when at a complete stop, the vehicle lunged forward while pressure was applied to the brake pedal. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure. There was currently an open investigation under NHTSA action number PE11018 (vehicle speed control). The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 98000.

- Windham, NH, USA

Mar 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

This car started surging little by little getting progressively worse as the months went on. Hotter weather seemed to make it worse, stalling in drive thru's and lurching more. A few times cutting out all together, having to wait in parking lots to come back on. Then it began making a high pitched whining sound like the transmission was going to blow up if it got to "over worked" it seemed. Then wow "shock of all shocks" this lemon of a car simply died while finally sputtering it's last gasps sounding like a diesel engine mack truck and had a " catastrophic engine failure" as two different mechanics of ours diagnosed. Now we are faced with replacing the engine, used at a steal for about $3000 to $5000+ or taking a huge loss since we owe on it still. And gee what do we have to look forward to if we do replace the engine" a safe non-lurching ride? no. A future free from more costly repairs? no. New throttle body replacement and new transmission replacements" I can't wait!!! what a joke. I hate this car. Please recall something, anything to take this death trap off my hands!!! and yes I have a small child that has to ride in this bundle of safety too.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Dec 222011

Freestyle 6-cyl

When driving at low speeds the car will lunge forward on its own. It is usually when pulling out of a parking space or pulling up to a stop sign. This happens when you are not pressing on the gas at all but lunges forward on its own. When driving at a high speed it does the opposite and the emergency brake/parking brake tries to engage. For instance I was going 60 mph on the highway and the ABS and parking brake light came on, the speedometer dropped to 0, and the rpms revved up. My foot was on the gas the entire time yet the vehicle kept pulling back like it was trying to engage the brakes.

- Horizon City, TX, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle was placed the reverse position the vehicle lunged backwards despite the brakes being depressed and the vehicle stalled. The wrench safety mode light illuminated during the failure. The contact also mentioned that the failure only occurs when the air conditioning unit is activated. The vehicle restarted after the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired and the VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Dec 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle surges when idling or going slow. Accelerates at times like parking or moving through parking lots or when stopped at stoplights.

- Ararat, VA, USA

Dec 082011

Freestyle 6-cyl

When pulling out of my driveway the car would not accelerate, seemed to not have any power. Then when placing my foot on the brake at a stop sign it surged forward. It was really scary and had there been traffic, I would have been hit broad side, as I felt I couldn't control the car. The wrench light came on, and as I drove my son to school, the car continued to either have no power or was surging forward, I called my local dealer where I had just had the cvt transmission replaced in September, and asked to bring it in. They diagnosed it as a throttle body problem, and replaced it. I had asked about this when the transmission was replaced, and they had told me they didn't know about any problems. Oh please!!!!!! I've also had two very dangerous tire blow outs, and after some research see that unusual inside tire wear has also been a problem on Freestyles due to the sway bar links. Now tomorrow.... I am back at the dealer for the engine mount, yet another repeat problem that needs to be recalled. Please help us get these dangerous cars recalled and repaired!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 112009

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was transporting my children on a hot day. We were idling with the A/C on. The vehicle was not in motion. I had my foot pressed firmly on the brake. The vehicle then lunged forward several feet. There were no impacts or accidents, but as I began to accelerate, the vehicle acted as if it was going to stall. It was sputtering and kept lunging as if I had removed my foot from the clutch the check engine / wrench light came on and the vehicle died. I tried to restart the vehicle multiple times, and it did eventually turn back on, but the vehicle was sluggish and continued lunging. I brought the vehicle to our local Ford dealer, jackson Ford-Mercury tag #540, as it was still under warranty. They checked the air conditioner and found nothing wrong. I took the vehicle back to the same dealer a short time later for the same problem and again they could find no problems. As the season changed, the problem cleared up. We were no longer using the A/C. the following summer, same conditions, same problem. I took it to a different Ford dealership big valley Lincoln Ford Mercury ro # 625097 and explained the problem and provided the repair tag number. After performing a mult-ipoint inspection, not once, but twice, and a diagnostic HVAC system check, they also could find no problem to repair. Concerned that our warranty was getting ready to expire, we asked them to document the incident. We've taken the vehicle to many local mechanics as well. I am unsure of which parts are actually faulty because the vehicle has never been able to be diagnosed. We don't utilize the A/C because it causes the vehicle to stall and fails to cool the air properly anyway. I believe my vehicle is encountering the same defect as many of the others described up here and I think that Ford should repair the defect, as I and many other consumers purchased these vehicles in good faith.

- Valley Springs, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would surge abnormally while the brake was depressed. The failure recurred whether the vehicle was in drive or reverse, with the air conditioner activated. In addition, the vehicle would often stall without warning. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure, nor was the vehicle diagnosed or repaired. The current mileage was 131,457 and the failure mileage was 110,000.

- Holland, MI, USA

Aug 082011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car lunges. Example: Pulling into a parking space and almost hitting a parked car, slow down to to let someone cross in front of you in a parking lot and the car lunges almost hitting them, in reverse or drive, makes no difference.

- Hazelwood, MO, USA

May 172010

Freestyle 6-cyl

I first noticed our 2006 Ford Freestyle started lunging forward when I would be in line at the drive up window at a restaurant or the bank, numerous times, almost hitting the car in front of me. Also, when slowing down to enter the garage or a parking space and when backing out of the garage. It seemed to be worse when the air conditioning was on. I finally took it to the Ford dealership who charged $125 for the diagnostic to tell me it was the throttle body. Their estimate was almost $800. I had my own mechanic fix it for around $600 and have had no problems since. I am hoping you can do something about this as I was very concerned about it lunging forward and hitting someone.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Sep 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact was driving up an incline with the cruise control set at 70 mph. The contact applied the brakes to disengage the cruise control function but the engine rpms continued to increase and the vehicle did not respond. The engine had to be shut to correct the failure. The failure was experienced several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have a diagnostic performed nor repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 82,000. Updated 03/23/12 updated 04/09/12

- Carrollton , TX, USA

Jan 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle suddenly accelerated while the gear was placed in reverse. The vehicle also accelerated while in drive with the brakes depressed. The dealer advised the contact that there were no recalls for the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 75,000. Updated 01/03/12 the consumer stated the sudden acceleration only happened when the engine was cold. Updated 01/04/12

- West Seneca , NY, USA

Nov 182009

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle would surge while parked in reverse or forward. With the foot on the brake vehicle would actually lurch in movement several feet. One time almost hitting a pedestrian. The transmission failed due to a failed inlet shaft bearing which was caused by incorrect machining of the inlet shaft.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Sep 012007

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle surged forward abnormally while sitting at a complete stop with the brakes depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they advised her that the throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was approximately 85,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Jacksonville, OR, USA

May 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lunges and engine revs up at low speeds when stopping and at stopped. This seemed to happen at low RPM and when the A/C was on and cycling. Also notice this at times when stopped and the steering wheel was turned, and when backing up.

- La Follette, TN, USA