2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 12 of 30)

Sep 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

On several occasions while I was driving in route to work or the grocery store, my 06 Ford Freestyle seemed slow and sluggish to respond as I would be waiting at a red light for the green. When the light did turn green and I would press the gas pedal to go, the car would shut off. A few times there were close calls as the car behind me would be unaware I was having trouble and almost rear-end me. When the car would cut off, I would proceed to restart the car and then press the gas to go. The car seemed to respond extremely slow like I would have the gas pedal pressed to the floor and would only be able to go 20 - 25 mph. On other occasions, the car would seem to lurch forward or backward (depending on if I had the car in drive or reverse) the throttle body failure on my 2006 Ford Freestyle creates a very dangerous situation because the engine will accelerate without applying the gas pedaland will no accelerate at times when the gas pedal is pressed. After a little research I found this to be arecurring problem on 2006, and 2007 Ford Freestyle vehicles. Ford is or should be well aware the proble exist and has for some time and has done nothing about it, to add insult to injury my car has been at the Ford dealership for over a month because the parts needed to repair it [ throttlebody ] is not availiable and no one can tell me for sure when it will be people at Ford tell me that the company making the part went out of bussiness without notice, well needless to say this does not help my situation, I have notified my state and federal highway safety commishners of the problem and I would like to ask everyone with a similar problem to do the same.

- San Ysidro, CA, USA

Jun 152010

Freestyle

The 2006 Ford Freestyle that my wife and I bought in winter of 2008, was a great car for the first year. We noticed after the first 12-13 months that it was having a serious issue with the throttle, as in... the car would start revving while at idle... you could be stopped at a stoplight and it would lunge so hard that it would push itself half a car length into the intersection before you could stop it. If it were in reverse it would lunge even harder. We had taken it to the dealership a couple of times but the could never recreate the issue according to them. Then 1 month out of warranty they could all of the sudden recreate the issue and it cost us $825 for a new throttle body. We replaced it, and we have kept all receipts incase of a recall. The car was good again for another 12 months, then it starts doing it again... again the Ford dealership cannot seem to recreate the issue. Then today they can amazingly assess everything and tell us that will cost us $1300+ to fix yet another throttle control issue. Why is there no recall by the company here... there is already a class action lawsuit in California against Ford for 2005-2007 Freestyle. My wife is scared to death to drive this vehicle anymore. I know that there are thousands of other Freestyle owners with the exact issue here. Something really needs to be done to fix this.

- Morgantown, KY, USA

Oct 082009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car will suddenly surge even without my foot on the gas. Sometimes even when we are braking. Has not actually caused an accident yet but worried it could. Took it to the Ford dealer at one point (jones West Ford) but they said they had never heard of such a problem and were unable to find anything. The reset the computer on the car and thought that would maybe help but it still continues to this day and that has probably been close if not more than 2 years ago. I have read that people have experienced this similar type of problem although my sister who has a 1995 has not so it must not be in every one that was made.

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 282011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Good day, while driving my vehicle the vehicle stopped, pushed to the side and tried starting. It never fully recovered the speed, I was able to make it down to the gas station, where I talked to someone and I had to make it into the dealership. Even though this is my first time. There has been jerking in the past, pedal sticking, and acceleration of the vehicle. Now there are work issues and no one has the money to buy another car, and from searching this site and others, there are quite a few complaints. It would be wonderful if they would fix the problem, seeing as they stopped making the car after 2006, and there are very few parts. This van has some issues, and the dealership I took it too wants to charge me for experimentation on my car, throttle body, and they said if it was not the throttle body, then it was the transmission. I want to understand this because I thought all dealership are suppose to be honest and let people know what is really going on. They did not tell me any of this and they still want to charge me 8,000 dollars, and it is a rip-off. More people need to write in about this vehicle and the Ford and the transportation division needs to be held responsible, for taking great peoples hard earned money, have a great day.

- Southfield, Mi, MI, USA

Jun 082010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle surges at low speeds. The problem is worse with the air conditioning on.

- Wexford, PA, USA

Jun 042011

Freestyle

On several occasions while I was driving in route to work or the grocery store, my 06 Ford Freestyle seemed slow and sluggish to respond as I would be waiting at a red light for the green. When the light did turn green and I would press the gas pedal to go, the car would shut off. A few times there were close calls as the car behind me would be unaware I was having trouble and almost rear-end me. When the car would cut off, I would proceed to restart the car and then press the gas to go. The car seemed to respond extremely slow like I would have the gas pedal pressed to the floor and would only be able to go 20 - 25 mph. On other occasions, the car would seem to lurch forward or backward (depending on if I had the car in drive or reverse) as soon as I would take my foot off the brake. After the 3rd or 4th time this happened, I took the car to a local shop who had to refer me to my local Ford dealer. When I took the car to be looked at, Ford explained to me that the throttle body was bad and needed to be replaced as it was causing an electrical communication mishap in the car. So over $900 later, the car was fixed. I did do my research and found that several other 06 Ford Freestyles had the exact same problem. Even the service man at the Ford dealer who fixed my car said that he had just had his 06 Freestyle repaired for the same reason. This is a very serious and potentially dangerous problem. We should not have to wait until someone is seriously injured or dies to do something to fix the problem like a recall. There were times when I thought I was going to be rear-ended, in an accident, or possibly drive through my house. A recall would be being proactive instead of waiting to be reactive. Being proactive shows that the Ford cares for its consumers and appreciates them as well. Safety should be priority #1!!!

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Dec 132010

Freestyle

On multiple occasions my vehicle has lunged when in a stopped position. When backing out of a parking spot, while in reverse, but with the brake still applied the car has lunged feet backwards at a fast rate and nearly caused accidents. This is also true in regards to stopped at a light or stop sign. While in drive with the brake peddle depressed stopped behind another vehicle the car lunged forward a couple feet nearly hitting the car in front of me. I have four children and I feel unsafe in my own car. I don't know when it is going to happen so I have to be prepared for it at all times. Thank god that I haven't had any accidents when this happens. It is such a fast and unexpected movement that my children will scream. This needs to be taken seriously before someone has a serious accident.

- Parkersburg, WV, USA

Oct 012009

Freestyle 6-cyl

Our Freestyle has a repeated tendency to surge forward from stop with no application of the accelerator pedal. Last year when we took it in to the dealership they said they could find no problems with the car. The problem has since gotten repeatedly worse and we have surged into other cars when trying to leave a parking space. This problem is not consistent, but it occurs on a regular basis; several times a week.

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Sep 272011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was parked with car running for about 10 mins. When I went to back up the car, the car lunged backwards while my foot was still engaged on the brake. Car stalled but I was able to re-start car. Wrench and engine lights were on. I drove the car home but the fuel injection was labored and did not accelerate normally and would also accelerate unexpectedly while sitting at traffic light. I was able to get the car home, but check engine light was still lit after several days.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Aug 202011

Freestyle 6-cyl

For about 2 months I had been experiencing some minor surging when car was put into reverse but thought it might have been bad gas or needed a new fuel or air filter. First major incident was in August when I started my car and put in reverse to back out of parking space. Before I took my foot off the brake, the car accelerated backwards and then stalled suddenly. This happened at least 3 times while I was in the parking lot before the car finally began to work properly and I could drive it home again. Both wrench and check engine lights were on.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would surge forward and the wrench indicator light would illuminate. Also, the check engine warning light was also illuminated. The dealer advised the contact to continue to drive the vehicle with the failure until NHTSA action number: PE11018 was investigated. The manufacturer was not notified nor was the vehicle repaired. The current mileage was 67,000 and the approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Sep 302010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while her foot was on the brake pedal and she shifted into park or reverse the vehicle would lunged forward or backwards without any warnings. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 012010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would intermittently lunge forward and backward while driving at low speeds. In order to stop the failure, the contact would have to apply excessive pressure to the brake pedal or shift the vehicle into neutral. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and they could not diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Water Valley, MS, USA

Mar 102010

Freestyle 6-cyl

My vehicle experiences unexpected movement when the driver's foot is not on the accelerator. The vehicle brakes are effective in either preventing or stopping the movement, but in some cases the vehicle has moved as much as 10 feet if the brake is not applied, lightly applied or applied late. The movement resulting from the unexpected idle speed increase, often described as a "lunge, " generally of brief duration. What should I do, how can this be fixed?

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 262011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle lunged in drive and reverse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the throttle body at the owners expense for $700. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 65,344. Updated 10/12/11 updated 3/30/12

- Cameron, TX, USA

Jul 172010

Freestyle 6-cyl

One day our Ford Freestyle decided to lurch forward on it's own. It then lost power and had several more surges. It was under an extended warranty (which I paid for) at the time and was covered. Ford however was well aware of the problem and we had to wait 1 month for a replacement throttle body to be manufactured. We were however paying for insurance on the rental out of our own pocket. After getting the car back we have had several more of the same type of incidents over the past year all of which mysteriously went away after turning the car off and then back on again. Today it happened again this time it would not go away. I had an expert read the trouble codes from the cars computer. The results are all once again contained to the throttle body unit. Ford let me know the part was out of warranty after 12,000 miles and repairs will cost me an additional 800 dollars. My wife uses this car to get around with my 7 year old and infant baby. This is a serious problem that could potentially end up with a tragic outcome. It is unacceptable that Ford can act like this is not there fault and not be held accountable. My car is built on the Ford 500 chassis and that car too has the same issues along with a few others. Something should be done about this it immediately before someone gets killed if they haven't been already. I will pay again to have my car fixed again only because my family is in danger and I am being forced to. I have researched this extensively an know we are not alone. Please finish this investigation and hold Ford Motor Company accountable. Thank you for your services in helping keep american lives safe!

- Naperville, IL, USA

Sep 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while reversing, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The brake was depressed and the engine was turned off to stop the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated they needed to replace the throttle body. The manufacturer was notified of the failure who offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

May 122011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Upon starting the car and putting it in either reverse or forward, the engine would race and either lunge forward or backward. While driving, the engine would sputter and stall. This was more prevalent when the air conditioning was turned on. On starting the car, I had to place my foot with a lot of pressure on the brake pedal to ensure that the car did not lunge. This was a very dangerous problem as I have two small children in the car and they could be hurt if the car stalled in heavy traffic and was struck. The dealer said that this was not under warranty and that they understood the problem but Ford has not issued a recall on the part. It was rather expensive to replace this part. I am urging the government to issue a recall on this part before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. The part in question is the throttle body.

- Campbell, CA, USA

Aug 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lunged forward with foot firmly on the brake, this also happened when the car was in reverse. This lunging stopped when the brake was applied, this has happened several times since then.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Aug 022010

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have now had the diagnostic ran and the bad throttle body came in. I contacted Ford and filed a complaint and request for financial assistance. There are hundreds of blog entries with this same issue. It is dangerous and some people are buying new cars because of it. I do not have this luxury. The repair is going to cost around $750 which I cannot afford either. If Ford knows about this, and it is currently under investigation, then why is there no recall? this car is a danger on the roads. We are being put in harms way every day, and now to boot we are having to replace a defective part that owners have had issues with for the past 2 years. The posts I have read are from all across the country, with people having the exact same issues. We are being taken advantage of. Please make them do something about this. Sounds a lot like Toyota.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA