2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 14 of 30)

Jun 162009

Freestyle

We initially experienced surging while maneuvering in & out of parking spaces. Later the car failed to accelerate beyond 15-20 mph while driving down the street. Ford replaced the throttle body on the date above (6/16/09) at 53,700 miles at a cost of $780, which solved the problem until recently. Two weeks ago (8/15/11) we began to experience the surging again while maneuvering in & out of parking spaces. We now have 90,000 miles on the car. (Ford also replaced an engine mount when they replaced the throttle body in 2009 at a cost of $428.)

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 202010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while the vehicle was in drive with the brake pedal depressed when the engine exhibited an abnormal increase in engine rpms. The vehicle then abnormally lunged forward. The failure would also occur in reverse. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who replaced the throttle body, but the failure persisted. The failure mileage was 61,190 and the current mileage was 76,000.

- Rockwall , TX, USA

Feb 012008

Freestyle 6-cyl

We have owned our 2006 Freestyle since Aug. 2007. After 6 months of purchasing the vehicle, we noticed an occasional unintended acceleration problem. The problem became more frequent over the last few months. Recently, my wife was trying to parallel park when the Freestyle suddenly lurched backward narrowly missing the car behind ours. The car stalled when she applied the brakes. She restarted the car, and again it lurched, this time dangerously close to the car in front of her. Again, the car stalled when she applied the brakes. Our children were as frightened as my wife. We took our Freestyle in on multiple occasions and the cause of the issue could not be diagnosed even after we explained what happened. We took our Freestyle to a Ford dealership who finally diagnosed (with "75% confidence") the unintended acceleration stemming from a defective throttle body. The cost to replace the throttle body is nearly $1000. Upon research of this issue with Ford Freestyles, we feel that the unintended acceleration problem is cause for Ford to recall and repair these vehicles at no cost to us before my family or other Freestyle owners are injured or killed.

- Oakland, CA, USA

Jul 012009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while reversing from a parking space, the vehicle lunged backward and stalled. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have the failure diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and referred the contact to the nearest dealer to have the vehicle inspected. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and current mileage was 101,000. Updated 11/03/11 updated 11/04/11

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle

Engine RPM will suddenly increase during low speed maneuvers such as parking or backing out of driveway. This sudden change can vary between 500 to 1000 RPM and seems more pronounced when the air conditioner is on and the vehicle is turning

- Casper, WY, USA

Freestyle

Car attempts to lunge while foot is firmly applied to the brake. This event sometimes results in an engine stall followed by the check engine light coming on. It has occurred frequently over the last 3 months. Most occurrences do not result in the check engine light coming on. Car failed vehicle inspection on 06/27/11 due to this event occurring while the inspector was testing the brake system. I don't plan to have the car worked on until this defect investigation is complete, so this car could serve as an example if needed.

- Denton, TX, USA

Aug 272011

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle accelerated in reverse when my foot was not engaging the gas pedal. It then lurched forward before stalling out. I have complained to the Ford dealership about unusual performance especially at parking lot speeds. They are never able to diagnose a problem. Today, it lunged in reverse while backing out of a parking space. It then stalled out. I finally got it to crank back up. Then it lunged forward out of control approximately 5 to 10 feet. I got it to drive, but it would not accelerate without having my foot all the way down. It would hardly make it up a hill and then lunge at the top of the hill acting like it was going to stall out again. I have lost all confidence in my car and fear for the safety of my children.

- Ga, GA, USA

Aug 252009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that whether the vehicle was in drive or reverse, it would exhibit a loud noise and stall. The dealer diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but denied any assistance with repairs. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 98,000 and the current mileage was 160,000. Updated 10/21/11 the consumer stated she can not drive or 25 mph, as the problems becomes worse. Updated 11/07/11

- Wenbell, NC, USA

Nov 232008

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle and I have had many problems with it. The most prevalent and frustrating issues are ones I've seen many complaints about...the car lunging forward or backward (happens more when A/C has been on), high rpms with pedal to floor and the car going nowhere (wrench light comes on). The first time the RPM issue happened I was on my way up to lancaster, ca driving up a very steep hill. I had my 2 year old son with me and the car would barely go. I was able to put on my hazards and get off the freeway and made it to a park-and-ride. After I shut the car off for awhile and started it again it was fine. This has happened quite a few times since then; the most recent was last month (July 2011). Also, mostly when getting on the freeway and having to accelerate into traffic, the car will rev at a very high RPM and not go down unless I pull over/get off freeway and try the acceleration a little slower. If the rpms stay high it sometimes causes the wrench light to come on and problem with the pedal to the floor and car going nowhere comes into play. I have not been able to have any work done on the car to try to relieve the problems due to financial issues. I know that a lot of other people have had these same problems and I just hope that something can be done before someone seriously gets hurt.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Feb 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car lurches forward or revs ups when under these conditions: Ac is on, car is idling such as in a parking lot, stop signs or intersections. This has been gradually worsening until I narrowly missed a person walking in the parking lot and took the car in for repairs. The local dealer replaced the throttle body.

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Apr 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle with approximately 80,000 miles began violently lurching forward from a parked position without the driver's foot being on the gas pedal (was actually on brake which prevented the car from going more than a couple of feet forward). This was a sudden and powerful lurch, that even the brake could not totally stop. Having air conditioning on exacerbated the problem. I researched the issue online and found many forums, comments and even a facebook page with Freestyle owners experiencing identical problems, all stemming from a throttle body problem. We cleaned accumulation out from flap leading into throttle body and the problem was resolved for a few weeks. Without warning, the vehicle now will not move as there is no response with foot on accelerator. The idle remains below 1,000 rpms and the car is sluggish to the point of not moving. Found out that replacing the throttle body at a cost of several hundred dollars is the only solution, but even that is not a permanent fix, according to many reports online. This is because the part is only manufactured by Ford and the item will continue to fail.

- Annapolis, MD, USA

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while driving in reverse, the vehicle accelerated at idle speeds unexpectedly. The vehicle stopped moving when the brakes were depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, but the manufacturer was not notified. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 98,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Maplesville, AL, USA

Jul 072011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I experienced an unexpected movement of the vehicle when I wasn't pushing the accelerator either moving forward or backwards. An increase in the rpms is evident in both but worse in reverse. When stopping at the light and gear is in "D", after a full stop, the engine increases the rpms. When you release the brakes to start moving again, the car abruptly moves without pushing the accelerator. In reverse, with brakes lightly applied, the engine increases the rpms more dramatically than in forward. It is even worse if you turn the steering wheel, in my case, to the left. You have to apply firmly the brakes to stop the car from moving without control but the rpms still running high. One of the times, even when applying firmly the brakes, the car still moved up to the point that it shut down the engine. That happened in a parking lot and almost hit another car. That's when I decided to take it to the dealer. This is very dangerous. We park the car inside our garage and it became unsafe to pull in and out as space is tight and you could hit the walls or my other car or the kids. You do not know when it will happen and how severe the sudden increase in speed will be. The dealer said it was the electronic throttle body that failed and changed it. I have a 2006 Freestyle SE.

- Watkinsville, GA, USA

Nov 232008

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle and I have had many problems with it. The most prevalent and frustrating issues are ones I've seen many complaints about. The car lunging forward or backward (happens more when A/C has been on), high rpms with pedal to floor and the car going nowhere (wrench light comes on). The first time the RPM issue happened I was on my way up to lancaster, ca driving up a very steep hill. I had my 2 year old son with me and the car would barely go. I was able to put on my hazards and get off the freeway and made it to a park-and-ride. After I shut the car off for awhile and started it again it was fine. This has happened quite a few times since then; the most recent was last month (July 2011). Also, mostly when getting on the freeway and having to accelerate into traffic, the car will rev at a very high RPM and not go down unless I pull over/get off freeway and try the acceleration a little slower. If the rpms stay high it sometimes causes the wrench light to come on and problem with the pedal to the floor and car going nowhere comes into play. I have not been able to have any work done on the car to try to aleve the problems due to financial issues. I know that a lot of other people have had these same problems and I just hope that something can be done before someone seriously gets hurt.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle lunges when reversing or going forward when the ac is on. This happens on a daily basis.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Dec 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Having issues with hard starting issues to the point it got to where it would not start. I have also had issues with acceleration fluctuation without me touching gas peddle. There was even a time where it fluctuated while I was driving. At the time I had the cruise on and it shut off the cruise when it did it. I have had mechanic clean out the throttle body and intake air sensor with electrical contact cleaner which seems to alleviate the problem temporarily. It lasts anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 months and needs cleaned again as it hangs up and my engine begins to self accelerate and is hard starting again. I am very worried that this will self accelerate while we are driving. This first began to give issues Dec. 2010.

- Elma, WA, USA

Mar 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while driving in reverse the vehicle would lunge backwards, when the accelerator pedal was not engaged. The vehicle would also lunged forward while the contacts foot was depressed on the brake. The dealer nor manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 56,000 and the current mileage was 60,000. Updated 12/05/11

- Conover, NC, USA

Aug 012011

Freestyle

Car lurched/lunged forward when shifting into reverse. Has since happened when at a stop with car in gear. On one occasion, the wrench light came on, car sputtered, and then died-did this twice in the same incidence.

- Portland, OR, USA

Sep 092009

Freestyle

Bought car used, certified, but noticed right away that car would lunge backwards when I would go to back up. Ford found no problem. Problem continued for numerous months and then at about 56,000 miles issue escalated. Now car lunges forward or reverse, moving anywhere from 2 to 8 feet. At times it feels like pressure is being pushed from the brake up, to my foot......pushing it off the brake. Problem is worse the more car is driven that day, and seems to happen mostly when ac is on. But in the early days of issue air was not always on. If someone walks in front or behind me when this happens they would certainly be injured.

- Inverness, FL, USA

May 152011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact was driving 50 mph when the vehicle lunged forward and accelerated abnormally. The check engine warning light illuminated immediately following the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 69,000 and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA