2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 15 of 30)

Jul 012011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact attempted to place the vehicle into reverse when it surged forward without warning. Both the dealer and manufacturer were notified of the failure and the contact was awaiting a response. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The current and failure mileages were 96,000.

- Stamant, LA, USA

Mar 282008

Freestyle 6-cyl

1. there were no events leading to this failure. 2. the failure is that while driving and without notice my 2006 Freestyle goes into fail safe mode which causes the rpms to rapidly increase and the accelerator to not respond to my actions. This has been occurring since my Freestyle turned 50,000 miles. This failure happens everyday and multiple times per day. The consequences from this failure are near fatal accidents. 3. my vehicle was brought into the Ford dealership from which I purchased it. I was told multiple times they could find nothing wrong, but they could investigate the transmission at a cost of $1800. I did not have them do that. I did bring it to a transmission specialist at a cost of $1600. They would not warranty the work as the only parts available from Ford were reconditioned and Ford then required the replaced part be shipped back to them. I drove 1000 miles without an occurrence and the problem returned.

- Franksville, WI, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle will surge or lunge when trying to park vehicle or you are moving slowly (not accelerating) - perhaps when you are just using the idling power of the engine to move. Your foot is often over the brake, or maybe even braking slightly, using the vehicle's own power at idle to just move slowly or slightly into a parking spot or come to a stop. There have not been any accidents, as your foot is typically already over the brake and you can react quickly enough to stop the car. It started doing it 2 or 3 years ago, but just occasionally, so it wasn't a big concern. But it has become steadily more common, to the point that it is happening weekly or sometimes more often - every 2 or 3 days. The engine RPM seems to increase for just a second, and then subside. It is not clear to me if the air conditioning has any impact, as others have said. But the car runs fine and normally otherwise. We recently had a repair done to replace an egr tube, which was causing acceleration to be uncontrolled, which was at all speeds, and was unrelated to this surge or lunge condition. However, we hoped that it would improve or correct the lunge or surge, but it hasn't. the lunge or surge does not occur when you are touching the accelerator, only when you are already braking slightly and letting the idle speed of the engine creep the car along. It happens in both forward and reverse and is noticed when parking or when you are trying to park close to something, so you are creeping along with just idle speed into a parking position. We haven't had any other repairs performed, as it didn't happen often enough to duplicate for the dealer, but it is more often now that perhaps it could be duplicated with some attempts after a couple of days. I know that it has been discussed, and it seems to only affect cvt transmission equipped Freestyles and may be a function of the transmission that causes it.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Aug 072011

Freestyle 6-cyl

In hot weather, the car will rev like the gas pedal is being pressed, in cold weather, pressing the gas pedal does not give the car gas. The dash light and odb reader both say throttle body failure. In hot weather, it has caused two minor bumps (no damage). In a few weeks, I am going to be afraid to pick the kids up at school for fear of lunging.

- Conway, SC, USA

Dec 162009

When placed in reverse the auto would surge without warning, as if the fuel pedal were applied. This also did it when going from reverse to forward. Had to keep foot firmly on the brake at all times or risk an accident. Car became very difficult to drive when this occurred. At 80,472 miles. Engine check light stayed on after another surge problem that stalled the auto. Ray skillman Ford in greenwood, in determined it was the "throttle body". it was replaced and while the service man drove the car, the entire A/C unit went out. They put a new clutch & compressor. After calling several Ford dealerships, there has been a huge backorder of these throttle body's. capital city Ford is installing two a day the same with ray skillman Ford.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 202011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle lately has been having some problems with high rpms at a stop while in drive. With the high rpms it sometimes wants to lunge forward. About 80% of the time a wrench is displayed on the dash. Once the indicator wrench light is on the vehicle it will only accelerate to about 30 to 35 mph and the RPM go to about 3500. I know it is a cvt but the description is as if it does not want to change gears.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 232011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car was stopped at a red light, while releasing brake pedal, car surged forward on its own. This took place at three consecutive stoplights in one afternoon. One week later, backing car up in parking lot, when brake pedal was released, car surged backward on its own. When changing from reverse to forward, car engine died. Waited a few moments and car restarted. Wrench light on dash was then on. Took to dealership and they replaced etb electronic throttle body.

- Lovettsville, VA, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle would maintain that speed despite the brakes being depressed. As a result, the vehicle would coast to a complete stop. The vehicle was taken to the an authorized dealer, however the vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 48,000 and the current mileage was 48,600. Updated 10/12/11 the consumer stated when he removed his foot from the gas pedal brake pedal, the engine increased in RPM's. the consumer stated he had to apply extreme pressure to the brake pedal, in order to bring the vehicle to a stop. The engine continued to stay at its increased RPM's. the updated 10/24/11

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jul 222011

Trying to park my car in a crowded parking lot, the car suddenly surged forward and then stalled. I tried to restart the car and it would not start. I waited a minute, turned off the radio, A/C, etc and then was able to restart. I have had a similar problem on two other occasions since.

- Exeter, ME, USA

Aug 042011

My Ford Freestyle lunges at various points on my route. I notice it the most when my foot is on the brake. For instance, at times when I am backing out of my garage, my car would suddenly accelerate even though my foot was firmly on the brake. I have also been pulling up behind traffic, with my foot firmly on the brake, and the car has lunged forward. I just took my car to the mechanic. They have cleaned the throttle plate. The car now downshifts rapidly when my car is nearly stopped, like when I am stopping for a red light. The RPM's stay right at 1000 until I am 10-20 feet from the stopping point, then the car suddenly downshifts, causing the car to bow. This is a daily occurrence.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Jul 102010

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle, in 2010 issue w/lurching originally in reverse only & later in drive also. Extreme when shifting into gear & taking foot off brake. Reported to dealership, they told us they had not heard of this issue & were not able to replicate it. Researched on the internet & found others w/ similar issues. Throttle body identified as responsible for sudden lurching. Brought up the issue w/dealer prior to our being out of warranty. It was after the factory warranty expired, the part was finally changed. Dealer stated could not replicate issue even though we brought it to their attention several times. Only when occurring all the time - dealer acknowledged the issue. Ford denied any safety issue & said we needed to pay for a replacement of the throttle body. Cost between $1,000 - $2,000 including labor.Ford & dealership insisted not a safety issue & no recall.we appealed to our dealer, armed with info from the internet citing info was on various sites by hundreds of Ford Freestyle owners.local dealer partnered with us to replace the part for $100. We believe that they did this due to the fact they had serviced 100% of the work on the car since it was purchased. One year later & same lurching began again in both reverse and drive. We went back to the local dealership and they tested the car and found the part indeed has failed again & is lurching. The local dealership stated once again they have no formal notice of recall or problems with the ┐throttle body┐. Ford once again has denied that there are any issues with this part. Dealership partnered w/us & replaced part in July ┐11 for 2nd time. We have 2 invoices for both replacements..just this last weekend even though the part was just replaced a 2nd time, we noticed twice that the car lurched in reverse.

- Thornton, CO, USA

Aug 012011

Vehicle surges forward in low idle or when stopped. Will happen also in reverse. Seems worse on hot days or with A/C running. Service "wrench" light will come on and car will almost stop running and has stopped on some occasions.

- Gadsden, AL, USA

Jun 152011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Auto-up/down function is erratic. Battery warning light goes off and on. Sudden acceleration at any speed.

- Howell, MI, USA

Jul 182011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle would surge intermittently without warning. The contact did not inform the dealer or manufacturer of the failure nor was the failure diagnosed or repaired. The current and failure mileage was 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Mount Vernon, OH, USA

Jun 222011

Freestyle 6-cyl

We own a 2006 Ford Freestyle. In 2008, at 36,730 miles we had the throttle body replaced because the vehicle lurched & the wrench light came on. Problem fixed. However, 2011 @ 88,356 we had the car in again because it lurched and engine & wrench light would come on again, and it would lose power. If we turned the key off and back on, it would temporarily go away. They replaced an electronic sensor in the transmission. This was at a Ford dealer. They had to call their mechanic help line & work on it several days to figure out the problem. Apparently, that was not the problem, because it had to go back in two weeks later for the same issue. They claimed the new part was faulty and they replaced the sensor again. Fast forward 2.5 months. We are in June @ 92,744. Vehicle was again lurching, wrench & check engine light would come on and had a loss of power. This all seemed to happen when the engine was under strain/load: Ac on high, turning the wheel. It would happen in reverse or drive. I had a foot on/over the brake - so lurching never caused any incidents. This time, I took it to my mechanic. He didn't believe me - because as I said - if you turned the car off, it would all go away until the next random time it happened. So, after 2 days I picked the vehicle up from him. It happened again 2 days later. I took it to autozone and had them plug it in to get the codes out of it - before I turned it off. I took the vehicle and the codes to my mechanic. He had the car for a couple days and was able to get it to behave as I described to him. He replaced the throttle body and it seemed to fix it. We took it on a road trip for 6,000 miles and there was no problem. It is now just over 100,000 miles and the warranty has now expired. Until now - warranty has covered the bulk of the cost. About 2 weeks ago, there was one instance of surging but no other symptoms or lights. Not sure what I plan to do from here except perhaps wait until it is recalled?

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 162011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle. It has begun taking off while backing out of my driveway and lurching forward without pressing the accelerator. This is a safety issue of highest urgency. Upon research on the web, I see numerous recent complaints about this very same issue for this particular style, make & year. There is even a facebook page requesting throttle body recall on Ford Freestyles, with 214 likes to date. I have 2 children ages 7 & 5. I fear for the safety of my own children and others around as this is the "family" car & used for school and activity pick ups and drop offs. These surges occur at stop lights, parking, and easing out of parking. All of these times have the propensity to cause major accidents. If it does cause an accident, I will have my lawyers contact Ford. This is a well documented issue. I am assuming as a reputable car maker- Ford needs to be made aware of such issue in order to issue recall to correct. I hope this complaint speeds up the process.

- Derry, NH, USA

Aug 032009

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Freestyle. 2 years ago I had to have the throttle body replaced due to unintended acceleration that got to be dangerous. This fixed the problem, but now I am again having the exact same issues, especially when the air is on. I now have a teen driving and I am very concerned for her welfare. I already paid 800+ to repair something Ford should have repaired at their cost. Now I have the same issue. Does someone have to get hurt before Ford recalls this part?

- Canton, MI, USA

Aug 012010

There have been multiple engine or transmission related problems with this vehicle dating back to 1 year ago. Last August, the car started lunging when idle without the driver pressing the gas. This happened numerous times when we lived in California while idling at traffic lights or while driving slow in parking lots. We brought it in and had a part replaced for $800 and was told everything was fine. 3 weeks later the car was revving high and making a loud whur. We brought it back in and was told that the transmission had to be replaced and that this was a known defect with the Freestyle automatic transmission. It cost over $5000. We moved to Georgia in April and the lunging problem resurfaced. We had to spend another $1300 to fix this. Then low and behold, 6 weeks later, the transmission blew again. This car is a hazard and needs to be taken off the road by Ford.

- Dunwoody, GA, USA

Jul 282011

Vehicle surged forward while parking and backward while exiting parking space. Has continued to occur since.

- Moreno Valley, CA, USA

Apr 092010

Throttle body seem to make the vehicle lunge forward while setting in traffic. Almost struck vehicles in front of me on many occasions. I'm forced to put vehicle in park or neutral while stopped.

- Lenoir, NC, USA