2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 18 of 30)

Jun 012011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving at approximately 10 mph, the vehicle suddenly lunged forward and stalled. The contact applied extreme force to the brake pedal to prevent the vehicle from crashing into the vehicle stopped directly in front of her. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The failure occurs intermittently. There was an investigation open under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 78,000.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Jul 202011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Unintended acceleration when moving transmission out of park. Car lurches and accelerates covering distances of 5-20 feet depending upon terrain. Movement can be arrested with braking, but is very sudden and intermittent so difficult to expect and control.

- Indianola, IA, USA

Jul 202011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Car lurches (in drive or reverse) when at low speeds. This issue is much more pronounced while air conditioning is on. Engine revs from 1,000 RPM to 2,500 RPM. On occasion the "fail-safe" will engage and the engine will shutdown completely when brakes are applied to stop the car from lurching. The only unusual light that comes on is "throttle system" light.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Jul 172010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Early July 2010 car would surge after started when placed into drive or reverse. July 17,2010 about 95 degrees ambient. Driving 55 mph car started to lose power and stall. Restarted and it went into limp mode with check engine light and occasional surges. I found a Ford dealer about 5 miles away. Diagnosis was a bad mass air flow sensor. Replaced and we were on our way again. Early June 2011 it was surging after starting when placed in drive or reverse. June 11,2011. Car stalled and went into limp mode again with check engine light on. Bought a new mass air flow sensor, installed it myself and cleared the code. July 5,2011 while driving to baltimore at 65 mph and 100 degree ambient, car stalled, restarted and it went into limp mode with check engine light on. I found a parking lot with shade and let it idle for about 20 minutes. Shut it off and restarted. Check engine light was off and it ran fine to baltimore. This appears to be an issue with the mass air flow circuit. NHTSA cannot ignore this flaw.

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

May 012011

The contact owns 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle surged forward, at idle speeds, when switching gears. The failure occurred, regardless of what gear he was in. The vehicle would only come to a complete stop, when he applied the brakes. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic or dealer for diagnostic testing. The VIN was unavailable. The contact reviewed defect investigation nhsta action number PE11018 (vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was 80,000. The current mileage was 82,000.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jul 012011

The vehicle has been accelerating all by itself and I have to quickly step on the brake to stop it. It has happened three times. The last time, I had 4 children in my vehicle on a very hot day and it happened as I was waiting to merge into traffic. Luckily I was able to stop it but it was very scary. I brought the vehicle to a local mechanic who indicated that it could be the throttle body or transmission, which he indicated could be very expensive. Upon researching the problem on the internet, I was shocked to see that a large number of other people are experiencing the same problem - some have even had accidents because of it.

- Feeding Hills, MA, USA

Jun 012010

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle lunged forward while driving in reverse or driving with the brake depressed. When the air conditioning was off or on the vehicle also lunged with greater force. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 65,000 and current mileage was 82,000 miles.

- Gerrardstown , WV, USA

Jul 162001

While putting car in reverse car surged backwards and the check engine wrench came on. Drove car home approx. Five blocks and shut car off because car was running rough. Started car back up and car ran smooth and the check engine wrench was off. I sat in parking lot for approx. Five minutes while my wife was shopping with car running and the air conditioning on. This is the second time in the last month that this car has done this. Both with the same issues. The car surges, then runs rough, then the check engine wrench comes on, then when you shut the car off and restart it the car runs smooth and the check engine wrench shuts off.

- Westland, MI, USA

Jul 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle over the past year my car has been accelerating and stalling for no reason. I have had to brake suddenly many times when pulling into a parking space and or backing up. Its really scary. Last week it accelerated so fast and I slammed on my brakes so hard that it quit, I started it, it quit and when I started it again, my engine light was on. I just spent over $1600 dollars to have the problem corrected at the local Ford dealership. I bought this car new and gave over $34,000 dollars for it and it has had many issues. I just paid it off in December and now I'm still spending so much money to keep it going. I am a teacher and can not afford this but I can't afford to trade it in and have car payments all over again. Please, isn't there anything you can do to help me?

- Bradyville, TN, USA

Jul 192011

Drove car about 10 miles, no problems. Sat in parking lot for about 10 minutes idling, outdoor temperature about 90 degrees. Put car in reverse, engine surged and car died. Took three tries to get car to start and the wrench light came on. Was able to begin driving, however the car did not seem to accelerate, even with pedal pushed to the floor. On the way home, engine would "herky/jerk" a little, but did begin to accelerate better and get up to speed. Turned off car in driveway and started a little later to take to garage to get checked. Car started easily this time, and the wrench light was off. Absolutely no issues on way to the garage. Will find out tomorrow what, if anything garage tells me. This problem seems to be similar to other issues described in internet search.

- Geneva, IL, USA

Jul 162011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I drive a 2006 Ford Freestyle. I would like to report that when the car has been running and it is a hot day when placed in reverse it will accelerate on it's own and then the motor will die causing the check engine light to come one. Typically if I turn it off and wait a few minutes it will come back on light free, but there has been two occasions when it has not. The first I took it for a diagnostics where I was told to take it to Ford that it seemed to be a transmission issue, Ford told me that they were not sure but they cleared out the sensor to give it a good wash if it happened again. It has happened again only this time the engine dying to acceleration ration has increased and a good car wash has not helped the issue. I am becoming very concerned before the acceleration was only in reverse now it is occurring in drive as well and happening more frequently. I have plans to take it to my local Ford dealership however I do not have high hopes for answers as they were not all that helpful the first time.

- Harrodsburg, KY, USA

Jun 232011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Have 2006 Ford Freestyle with 55,000 miles on it. It recently lunged forward while I was in driveway. And engine has been revving up for no reason what so ever.

- Woodinville, WA, USA

Apr 012011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While driving in reverse out of a parking space the contact stated the vehicle lunged forward and backwards. The contact had to apply excessive pressure to the brake pedal in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Henrietta, MO, USA

May 052011

Got in my car to go home one afternoon and it cranked but when I pressed the gas pedal it wouldn't move. Had to call a tow truck and have it towed to a shop. My car spent 2 weeks in the shop and it was determined it was the throttle body. I was told by my mechanic that this is a common problem on the Freestyle and is usually one of the first major repairs needed.

- Eunice, LA, USA

Jul 172011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Purchased a used 2006 Ford Freestyle in July of 2010. A few weeks after we bought it the car started lurching forward and backward when brakes were applied. It is really bad when the ac is running. At first I thought my wife was crazy but then it started to get really bad and I noticed that when backing out of the garage, after putting it in reverse and letting off the gas, that the car would just propel itself backwards. Took the car into the dealer today and was quoted $850 to fix the throttle body which is what they are saying is causing the problem. After reading about all of the other people having the same problems with this particular vehicle I was stunned to find out that Ford has not issued a recall on this. This is definitely a safety issue. If myself or my wife were to get in an accident due to this fault you could bet your bottom dollar I would file a lawsuit against Ford.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Jul 012011

2006 Ford Freestyle is experiencing sporadic lunging (engine racing) when shifting from park to reverse or park to drive. Has happened more frequently in the last month. 65500 miles on odometer.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Oct 172008

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car accelerates without any prompting or warning. There are different scenarios this is happening in. One situation that has happened numerous times is sitting in a line such as a drive thru and idling with my foot on the brake and the car lurches forward. Another scenario is putting the car in reverse and the car lurches backwards. Sitting at a red light or stop sign behind the line of a crosswalk and the car has lurched forward with foot on brake and narrowly missed a pedestrian. I tend to put it in park when at a light or in a drive thru. I have reported it to Ford and they discredited my claim saying it was an issue I needed to repair and did not constitute a recall. How when thousands of others have made complaints on this same issue since the purchase of their cars. This is not a system that wore out. It never worked properly in the first place. Maybe the issue is it is a cost repair in the thousands.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Jul 172011

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle which I love but, I am having a problem with the car accelerating when I move forward or back up. It has been on going for the last year. I have visited many mechanics who are unable to locate the problem. I felt the need to file a complaint because I have four children and this problem has almost caused an accident more than once.

- Kerrville, TX, USA

Jul 142011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle lunges occassionally when slowly pulling into the garage or parking space or when backing out of the garage or parking space. My foot is on the brake when this occurs.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Jul 012008

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle, which I purchased, used, in 2007. I have had two throttle body assemblies replaced. The first was in July, 2008 @ 40,203 miles and the second in August, 2010 @ 84,731 miles. The characteristics of the problem are: ¿when starting to move from a stopped position, the engine would surge, as if the accelerator had been depressed. 'sometimes when this surging occurred, the engine had no power ¿when the "no power" occurred, it could be corrected by turning off and restarting the engine, this condition occurs most often when trying to move in reverse. The condition has occurred in the summer both times

- Dequeen, AR, USA