2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 19 of 30)

Jul 012008

Freestyle 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle, which I purchased, used, in 2007. I have had two throttle body assemblies replaced. The first was in July, 2008 @ 40,203 miles and the second in August, 2010 @ 84,731 miles. The characteristics of the problem are: ¿when starting to move from a stopped position, the engine would surge, as if the accelerator had been depressed. 'sometimes when this surging occurred, the engine had no power ¿when the "no power" occurred, it could be corrected by turning off and restarting the engine, this condition occurs most often when trying to move in reverse. The condition has occurred in the summer both times

- Dequeen, AR, USA

Freestyle

When I put my car in reverse it accelerates on it's own. I have almost hit a few cars now while in parking lots. My car has also done this while going forward but it seems to be worse in reverse. There has been a couple of times, while in reverse, where I have my foot pressed hard on the brake and the car almost doesn't want to stop; it just keeps trying to move. What are we supposed to do about this?

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Jul 052011

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle wants lunges even when the brakes are depressed and also in reverse dealership is unable and unwilling to find, and fix problem...

- Yuma, AZ, USA

Mar 152011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while in reverse, the vehicle lunged backwards. The contact stated the failure reccured at various speeds while in reverse or drive. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The technician stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. There was an open investigation under NHTSA action number PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Needham, MA, USA

Jul 112011

Freestyle 6-cyl

After driving (2006 Ford Freestyle) approximately 80 miles on the interstate on a hot day, we stopped at a fast food drive through window. While at the window, with the car in drive (foot on brake) the car lunged forward. I first thought that it was my foot hitting the accelerator until it happened again and again. After getting our food the car lunged forward again as II released the brake and the vehicle lunged and lost power. We rolled forward luckily without causing an accident. This problem is very unsafe. Drove the car home and we have not used it since. Seems to likely be the throttle body assembly.

- Evans, GA, USA

Jun 012008

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle abnormally lunged forward with the brakes depressed. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who diagnosed that the throttle body and idler bypass were defective and needed replacing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 118,000.

- Troy , MO, USA

Aug 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a Ford Freestyle 2006. It has a throttle problem that causes it to lurch and sometimes shut off. It occurs only in hot weather generally over 90 degrees (at this time.) it is a safety issue due to the fact that the car accelerates quickly from idle and often in reverse or while sitting in idle at a stop light. I have to apply the brakes firmly to prevent an accident and sometimes this sudden braking causes the car to shut off. I have taken it to the local Ford dealership and they have not determined the problem, mainly because it does not cause the engine light to come on and help them diagnose the problem. I have not had the problem corrected due to the fact they say it has to be occuring when I bring it in and it never seems to do it for them. I have read of many others experiencing the same thing when I tried looking into the cause. It sounds like most people have had to replace the throttle control. Seems like a serious defect.

- Bullard, TX, USA

Jul 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle has surged at idle or very low speeds multiple times this and last summer. Seems to occur on extremely hot days with A/C running full blast, and when tires are turned. Has occurred in both forward and reverse gears. Surging lasts a few seconds and is only controlled by very forcefully depressing brake pedal. No accidents or injuries have occurred thus far, but this is a definite safety concern for our family! could easily cause a wreck or injury in a busy parking lot. Last summer the problem was lessened by having a mechanic cleaning the throttle body. Will be taking vehicle to mechanic this week to perform similar maintenance.

- Eudora, KS, USA

May 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle is having vehicle speed control issues as being investigated PE11018. When my car is shifted into reverse or drive, the car lunges forward or in reverse without warning. Rpms increase significantly even when brake pedal is pressed. It happens mainly while backing out of parking spaces. I have had to press extremely hard on brake pedal for fear that I will run into somebody or something. I had a mechanic at sewell auto woodlands, tx take a look at diagnostics and he determined that throttle sensor was bad.

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car has on numerous occasions lunged forward while in drive with a foot firmly on the brake. It was occurring somewhat intermittently; however, the problem seems to be occurring on a regular basis. The car used to only jump forward while in drive, but now also lunges backward while in reverse. It has also started to power off after lunging, which can make backing out of a parking space nearly impossible. We have also noticed that after the car dies (which can happen multiple times), it is nearly impossible to accelerate despite a foot being firmly planted on the gas pedal. The wrench light comes on, and sometimes all of the lights come on after dying while trying to start the car back up. The car has become increasingly dangerous and has nearly pulled into traffic while trying to exit a parking lot at points. This car has become a death trap very quickly.

Jul 092011

Freestyle 6-cyl

2006 Ford Freestyle experiencing "lunging" when parking at slow speeds. I see that a complaint file has been opened - PE11018. I would like to confirm that our Freestyle is experiencing the same issue. We have ~40K miles and it is getting progressively worse. We have had the issue checked out by the dealership 1 year ago but they "could not replicate" the issue. We would like to add our complaint to the 250+ complaints you have received on this issue.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jul 062011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Ford 2006 Freestyle is accelerating on it own in reverse and drive. I do not have my foot on the gas.the car lunges forward and then stalls.

- Robbinsville, NJ, USA

Jan 012009

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle with about 117,000 miles on it but their problems started at around 75,000. The little "wrench" light came on. I brought it to a dealer - put in the super duper computer and found it was a throttle body problem. I understand it could be dangerous. I do know my car started surging while at a stop and had a hard time stopping it - had to shut the car off. It was having to push half way down on the gas to go anywhere after I started it up. This has been a constant problem for about 3 years now. On top of that the brakes on the truck have also been giving me several problems. I understand that vehicles have their problems but then it puts me and my family in danger, that really upsets me. Especially since I have 6 children!!!!! I really do hope you all can help me out with this problem considering that I have read on the internet that several people are haven't the problems as I.

Mar 042011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated when the gears were shifted out of park to drive or from drive to park the vehicle would lunged forward or backwards. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Apr 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle surged forward on two occasions, resulting in two crashes. The failures occurred while driving at various speeds. Police reports were filed, but no injuries were reported. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer on both occasions where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 58,000 and the current mileage was 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle was accelerating when I had my foot on the brake at a stop sign. It does not gas when I have my foot on the gas pedal. It stalled a few times and when I have the car in reverse it accelerates without me even pressing on the gas. My wrench light was on in my dash as well. I took it to pepboys and was informed that my sensor was bad and I needed spark plugs and a vacuum hose..after spending $700, needless to say the problem with the accelerating still exists and there is also a humming noise while driving and the steering is very hard to maneuver. I took it back to pepboys and they said it is an electrical issue and I have to take it to Ford to get it fixed. Updated 03/23/12

- Norristown, PA, USA

Jul 062011

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle started accelerating on it's own (my foot not on the gas pedal) when in reverse about 6 months ago. Recently it has started accelerating on it's own in both the drive and reverse and it will lunge anywhere from 1 to 6 feet. Applying the brake does not always work immediately. I have to press the brake much more firmly than usual to get the acceleration to stop.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Jul 052011

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle has an issue where the RPM stays at 1500 allowing my vehicle to move at speeds of 25 - 30 mph with my foot off of the gas pedal. While stopped at a traffic light, the RPM was at 1500 then dropped all of a sudden causing the engine to almost stall. The rpms then jumped up again to avoid the engine stall causing my vehicle to move forward. In researching possible causes on the internet, I found that many Ford owners have experienced the same issue and had to replace the throttle body (throttle position sensor). I called Ford customer service and despite the numerous consumer complaints, there was no recall or no issue reported related to this serious acceleration issue. I was told to take the vehicle to my local dealer, have it repaired, and if Ford decided to put out a recall that I may be reimbursed for this issue. My concern with Ford's approach is that if every owner pays for this repair without anyone in the consumer safety board being made aware of this that there will be no recall. Someone could get injured or killed with such a serious vehicle defect.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Jan 052011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when at a stop and his foot depressed on the brake, he noticed that the vehicle's RPM's would rev to high numbers as if it wanted to take off. The vehicle was then taken and inspected by a independent mechanic and they advised him that the drive by wire may be the cause. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Kyles Ford, TN, USA

Jul 052010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while the gear was placed in drive the vehicle surged forward and stalled. The vehicle also surges backwards while it was in reverse. The rpms would also increase causing the vehicle to decelerate. The failure occurred intermittently and happened more often when the weather was hot. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technicians were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. There was an open investigation; NHTSA action number: PE10033 (vehicle speed control, power train:automatic transmission:control module (tcm, PCM)) that may be related to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Murray, KY, USA