2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 26 of 30)

Aug 182010

Freestyle

I currently own a 2006 Ford Freestyle and we get sudden accelerator surges when parking or just having a foot on the brake which almost lunges the vehicle into an intersection when stopped at a light. This happens frequently say 50% of the time that you are just holding the brake. I have contacted the dealer and even with a 100K mile warranty they say this is not covered. This should be fixed even without a warranty it is a serious safety issue. I am currently a general manager at an independent automotive test lab and I know an issue that should be addressed and Ford is playing with fire on this problem. There are plenty of blogs in the internet covering this. Please investigate before someone gets killed.

- Grosse Ile, MI, USA

May 212009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would continuously surge forward when sitting idle with the brakes depressed. There was an abnormal increase in engine rpms seconds prior to the failure. The contact stated the failure would most occur in hot temperatures or once the engine became hot. The dealer replaced a sensor but the failure persisted. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 57,000 and the current mileage was 67,000.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While stopped at a traffic light, the vehicle began to abnormally surge forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. There were no prior warnings of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileage was 65,000.

- Watauga, TX, USA

Jun 232009

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact was attempting to reverse when the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact immediately engaged the brakes and the vehicle stalled. He then shifted into park and restarted the vehicle. The wrench symbol light was illuminated. The contact then shut off and restarted the vehicle. The wrench light was no longer illuminated. The failure would only occur when at a complete stop or when reversing. The dealer replaced the mass air flow sensor yet the failure recurred. The dealer then advised that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was left with the dealer where the contact was awaiting repairs. The failure mileage was 61,218 and the approximate current mileage was 90,000.

- Ellettsville, IN, USA

Apr 232010

Freestyle

How long are you going to look into the Ford Freestyle throttle body problem"?" it has been years...why are you waiting so long to recall these cars.. iam sure this problem will either hurt or kill somebody.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 122010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While stopped at a traffic light the contact noticed that the vehicle suddenly began to surge forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was informed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. There were no prior warnings. The vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileages were 62000.

- Batesville, AR, USA

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle - sudden acceleration in reverse and drive without driver intent. Has happened 12-24 times in 2010. After research it is caused by throttle body failure (presumably). Seems to be a common defect in this Ford. Very disturbing!

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Jul 162010

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle (with approximately 60K miles) accelerates suddenly on its own when transitioning from a parked position and while idling. Even when my foot is on the brakes, it dangerously jumps and proceeds with an extreme amount of speed. This causes difficulty when it occurs while parallel parking. Additionally, the car stalls suddenly, without warning and the wrench light comes on. Went to Ford dealer and they charged me $108 to check the car and tell me that the throttle body and mass airflow sensor needed to be replaced. The Ford service person indicated that the part was on back order for about 3 weeks as this is a common problem with this vehicle. Three weeks has passed and they still do not have the part. I now understand the part cannot be located in any other city and that it may be atleast another 2 - 3 months before the part is available anywhere in the United States. No one offered a loaner car or anything. For this to be such a common problem where the part is on back order indicates to me that Ford should be fixing the problem and/or compensating consumers who need vehicles (while awaiting this part and repair) that work safely. When parts are on back order indicating a demand, Ford must be aware of the problem. Yet the expected wait time on the part has increased which means they are doing nothing to stand by their product or make certain that safe vehicles are on the road.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 152009

Freestyle

I own a 2006 Ford Freestyle which had a throttle body issue. The issue caused the engine to accelerate when the transmission was engaged in drive or reverse and the brake is pressed. The acceleration also happened while driving on the highway on one occasion as I began to slowdown in traffic. As a result of the failure, one of the problem lights illuminated, it was the wrench shaped light indicating an issue. The issue occurred almost daily. The problem was remedied by replacing the throttle body, after a four-month" backordered" wait.

- Katy, TX, USA

Aug 112010

Freestyle

My 2006 Ford Freestyle seems to have throttle failure. My vehicle jumped forward even though I had my foot on the brakes. Will have it fixed tomorrow since it is unsafe to drive like this. Ford should fix this problem.

- Madisonville, TX, USA

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. While attempting to drive out of a parking lot with her foot on the brake the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The contact was not driving the vehicle when the failure occurred. She placed the gear into the park position and turned the vehicle off for a few minutes and then back on and it continued to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the throttle body control caused the failure to occur. The dealer repaired the vehicle. The failure and the current mileages were 87,264. Updated 12/22/10 updated 12/23/10

- Wilson , NC, USA

Freestyle

Acceleration while stopped - in both drive and reverse - I've had to hit the brakes right after I take my foot off the brake pedal, then the car stalls and sometimes afterwards will not accelerate. Sometimes I have to shut off my vehicle, let it sit, then restart it. Was an intermittent problem at first, now happening more & more often. This problem will cause me to have an accident or hit people in the future if not corrected. My check engine light is coming on more often when this problem occurs. I will have to take my vehicle in to get this problem fixed as it is a danger to myself and others.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Aug 062010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. Whenever he started the vehicle it lunged forward, stalled and suddenly began to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced, but the new parts were on back order until August 31, 2010. He was also told that the vehicle was unsafe to drive. The Ford manufacturer was called but they have not returned his call. The failure mileage was 48,000. Updated 11/05/10.

- Joshua, TX, USA

Aug 082010

Freestyle

2006 Ford Freestyle wants to go on it's own (meaning accelerate)when pulling in or backing out of a parking space. Then when you hit the brakes real quick to get the car to stop it will stall out. So far I have not hit anything from these events that have taken place, but fear it is only a matter of time. The situation seems to be getting worse. I believe this is good enough to be considered for a safety recall. This is the only family vehicle I have, I have 3 children.

- Newport News , VA, USA

Aug 062010

Freestyle

2007 Ford Freestyle - sudden acceleration at low speeds in reverse and forward. Car lurches suddenly. My son has exactly the same car and this problem is occurring with his car as well. There are small children in these cars all the time. Dealer called problem a throttle box problem. Said replacement parts are not available. I sent a letter to the NHTSA about a month ago and have had no response. This is a very serious safety issue. These occurrence happen every time we are in the car.

- Madison, GA, USA

Freestyle

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle with less than 60,000 miles. Several times it has lurched forward while my foot has been on the brake and the motor has cut off right after. On 2 occasions, there have been error codes that have shown up, and I took the vehicle to a local auto parts store to find out what the codes mean. On June 11, 2010, I took the vehicle to the local Ford dealership where I bought it from, and gave them the codes. They told me it could be something to do with the throttle and to bring it back in when the error codes come up again. They have not since the, but the vehicle is still having the same problems. The most recent incident was on 8/4/10 while I was at a stop sign. I had my foot on the brake and it lurched forward, and when I attempted to pull out from the stop sign, the vehicle's motor died. No error codes... I contacted the dealership's service department and have not gotten a response. I know that there are other Freestyle owners that are having the same problems. Can or will Ford Motor Company issue a recall?

- Russellville, AL, USA

Freestyle

I have a Ford Freestyle 2006 with about 110,000 miles on it and I was in a parking lot and put my car in reverse and the car accelerated full throttle and I almost wrecked the car and then drove another mile and it stopped doing anything and I let it drive to the side of the road. It had a wrench light illuminated. I then waited about 10 minutes and then my car was able to start up and drive myself home. I had 3 small children in the car and was scared it would accelerate again but made it 40 miles home and now I sit here reading this and waiting till Ford opens so I can call and report this issue. My throttle body has been replaced when the car had only 50000 miles on it and also had the transmission replaced at 90000. I am wanting to get my car fixed but this is the same thing that happened when throttle body got replaced before and now I see they are on backorder. This is awful this car should be on national recall. I spent a lot of money on this car and it should last this long!

- Phil Campbell , AL, USA

Jul 302010

Freestyle

I have two (2) 2006 Ford Freestyles. The first one has 85,000 miles when the dash cluster and throttle body needing replacing. The car would surge forward and accelerate beyond our control. Ford told us there were no known problems. The repairs cost $1700. The second vehicle, same year, has 105,000 miles and is now starting to show the same symptoms. The car accelerates and surges randomly. Again, Ford told me there are no known problems and there was nothing they were willing to do to help. The dealership told me the original manufacture of the throttle bodies went bankrupt and they are now sourcing the part from some other company. The parts will not be available for several weeks. In the mean time, my vehicle surges and accelerates beyond my control, causing several near collisions at low speeds and while parking.

- West Chicago, IL, USA

May 152010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated while in the reverse position with the brakes depressed, the vehicle abnormally accelerated. The contact was able to stop the vehicle. The failure would occur intermittently and most often when the air conditioning unit was activated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 45,000 and the current mileage was 51,217.

- Enid , OK, USA

Mar 012010

Freestyle

My vehicle has issues in unexpected acceleration when inching out of the driveway or parking place. It surges when the gears are shifted from park to reverse and visa versa. I was in line at a drive through at idle with my foot on the brake waiting for my turn to inch up to the order microphone. My 06 Ford Freestyle accelerated of its own Accord, almost causing a rear end collision. The vehicle then stalled out and the orange wrench on the dash lighted up.I drove to the closest dealer in limp mode. The dealer couldn't schedule a timely appointment and I decided to try to make it to a dealer across town. The vehicle then cranked and ran without incident. Upon inspection at the next dealership it was determined that the throttle body had failed and needed replaced. Prior to this incident of random acceleration this vehicle was involved in a crash that occurred when the vehicle accelerated and rear ended another car. Now that I reflect back to the crash, after the most recent random acceleration, I cannot determine that I was entirely at fault for the incident that resulted in a crash. I was stopped at a traffic light idling and waiting for it to change when I remember a sudden acceleration and desperate attempt to stop the vehicle, but without success before it crashed. The correction for the problem is to replace the throttle body. The dealer has said the repair part is on national backorder and no approximate date of acquisition is stated. Dealer also states that my vehicle is inoperable due to the failure of said part and is a safety risk, yet Ford customer service has not agreed nor offered any assistance other than putting the part request on expedited status. No recall for the widespread failure of this part has been issued by Ford. Ford should recall this vehicle as it is not safe to operate due to the failure of the throttle body.

- Muscle Shoals, AL, USA