2006 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 4 of 30)

Sep 142011

My 2006 Ford Freestyle has had this happen before and now it is happening again. The car will lunge forward at low speeds. When this occurred before the dealership replaced the throttle body and it cost about $700. Here almost two years later, it is doing it again. There is no way of knowing when it will do it, and is a major safety hazard. I cannot afford to pay to replace this part every other year. From reading online forums, it seems to be a major problem with this vehicle. Ford needs to take responsibility and find a fix that will not happen again. Yet Ford does nothing about it!!

- Gettysburg, PA, USA

Jun 262013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I turned left at the traffic light and the car was having trouble accelerating. Then I noticed the wrench symbol on the dash board light up. Although the car was moving forward it was not doing so as it would have normally. Went home and turned it off. I took it to the dealership and they have told me I need a new throttle body. This will be the second replacement of that part since we have owned the car( it was purchased new in April of 2006). So it will be the third throttle body in that car in seven years. Whether this is a part flaw or a design flaw on the part of Ford or it's manufacturing facilities something needs to be done about this. I have read so many complaints online about this problem it seems it would be time for the government to step in and make them pay for the repairs, as I'm sure there are many. It was nice of the tax payers to bail out the auto industry when they needed it, so what about us, the consumer, don't we count. We're the people that keep it in business in the first place.I'm hoping since this is my second report to you that perhaps a pattern is emerging enough, for something to be done about this problem for all of us.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Aug 152012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while in reverse with the brakes depressed, the engine rpms increased as the vehicle jerked in reverse. The same failure recurred while stopped at a light with the brakes depressed. The vehicle also decelerated while the contact was driving highway speeds. The contact noticed the failure occurred mostly when the weather was warm and when the air conditioner was activated. The manufacturer was made award of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 73,000.

- Glens Falls, NY, USA

Jun 192013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Affected part: Throttle body. Two yrs ago we had our car repaired for a throttle body issue our car was lunging forward aggressively and sometimes stalled. It was a terrible safety issue, B/C it was also happening when my foot was on the brake. There was no recall at that time when we took the car to one Ford dealership. They repaired the throttle body and the car ran for 2 yrs without the same problem. Unfortunately, here we are 2 yrs later, & our car is at another Ford dealership the throttle body needs to be replaced. We have spent so much already, and now we have to pay $1700 to fix the throttle body & also the alternator. There are so many Ford Freestyle owners who have had this same issue why hasn't a recall been issued? I just found out today that there was a customer service satisfaction program for just a cleaning back in Nov 2012. I did not receive this letter, but it will not help us anyway since the throttle body is no longer usable.

- Jupiter, FL, USA

Jun 162013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while at a complete stop with her foot on the brake, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under a manufacturer's recall for the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available. The VIN was not available.

- Lancaster, TX, USA

Apr 192012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle erroneously accelerated intermittently while driving at various speeds. The failure occurred in both drive and reverse. The contact also mentioned that the failure occurred whenever the air conditioning was active. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 64,000 and the current mileage was 137,000.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Sep 072011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased my 2006 Ford Freestyle as a used vehicle in 8/2011. I have had nothing but problem after problem with this vehicle. It started with ac issue in 9/2011. Then surging/braking issues off and on for almost a year. I couldn't get the dealership where I purchases it or an actual Ford dealership to repair the surging/braking issue because they couldn't get the problem to repeat when I brought it in. It wasn't until I received the service letter for this issue that my complaint was justified and the recommended repairs where done as per stated by the manufacturer letter. This repair wasn't done until 1/2013. During that time I have also had to replace the water pump and harmonize balancer. Now, 5/2013 my torque converter and/or cvt is going out. Basically, all the complaints that are out there on this vehicle I have the misfortune of being all in this one vehicle. I wish there was a recall on this vehicle because I desperately need out of this money trap and owe more on it than it's worth. Please help soon to be stranded single mom of 3.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 272013

Freestyle 6-cyl

A few weeks ago I was backing out of the driveway in the morning (it was cold & frosty). When I put the vehicle into reverse it started to back out but then wouldn't accelerate. I pushed harder on the accelerator and it revved and finally went. The car felt off' while driving (shaky & not fully under control-like riding a bicycle when the chain slips but isn't completely off). The wrench light turned on but once I'd arrived at the destination & stopped & restarted the vehicle it seemed fine and the wrench light turned off. Last week I was again backing out and the vehicle would not accelerate, I pushed down more on the accelerator and it skipped / lurched back (almost hitting another vehicle). This happened twice more, both scary but manageable once I was able to turn the vehicle off and on again. Then this morning it happened again with the revving noise and poor and jumpy acceleration but after restarting, the 'check engine' light came on and has continued to be lit. So far I have only encountered the lurching and lack of acceleration occurring while in reverse, though it's continued once going forward until I can pull over and restart the vehicle. Until I can restart the vehicle it feels shaky and on the verge of dying, especially when at idle in traffic or red lights. I did a lot of research before purchasing the Freestyle. I chose it because it was one of the highest rated and 'safest' SUVS with 3rd row seats - reviewed by the iihs, and other organizations. I would not have purchased a Freestyle if these problems were well known to me at the time. We will look at the throttle body as recommended by other owners on this and other sites and I only hope that solves the problem. In the meantime I am afraid of the lack of acceleration and lurching problem happening around other vehicles and people so I am driving backroads where possible.

- Charlesteon, SC, USA

Apr 032013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased a used 2007 Ford Freestyle w/ one previous owner about 6 months ago with 110K miles. Since then I may have added 5K miles or so, if not less. I took it in yesterday to the local Ford dealer because of some issues with the care not accelerating at times and wrench light coming on. I would also hear the care rev up unexpectedly while reversing and doing other odd things that made me uncomfortable. They said I need a new transmission. Parts alone would be $6K. This is unacceptable.

- Pittsboro, NC, USA

Mar 082013

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle is stalling out at low speeds and not responding to acceleration. The wrench warning icon comes on the dashboard when the worse problems are occurring. It is not the throttle bottle which has been replaced and been reprogrammed. The mechanic showed 4 error lights regarding the cvt transmission. The Ford dealership was unable to diagnose or fix the problem. Currently there is a mass class action lawsuit being filed in California, it is not a unique of isolated occurrence.

- South Riding, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Our vehicle has been making noises since August, 2012. It also lunges forward when in park and when going at low speed. Afraid it is going to lunge forward and cause an accident or hit someone in crosswalk. We have had work done on this vehicle and nobody can tell us what the issue is. We have contacted Ford as it appears they have had numerous complaints and no response.

- Potosi, MO, USA

Feb 072013

Freestyle 6-cyl

While sitting in driveway and putting vehicle into gear the vehicle lunges both forward and backwards unexpectedly and without notice.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Aug 312007

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic stop light with the brakes depressed, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. The engine exhibited a loud, racing and clicking noise as the RPM reading increased. In addition, the throttle warning light illuminated. The parked and powered the vehicle off. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer where a diagnostic was performed however, the technician was unable to locate a failure. The dealer replaced the throttle body twice however, the failure was not corrected. The vehicle continued to exhibit incidents of suddenly acceleration. The failure mileage was 21,049 and the current mileage was 80,000. Updated 02/26/13 the consumer stated Ford was contacted and did not offer any assistance. The vehicle has needed other repairs including two axles, one water pump, and brake repairs. On 12/20/2012 the vehicle was exhibiting unintended surging. Updated 3/4/2013

- Haubstadt, IN, USA

Jan 102013

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the service engine light illuminated and acceleration power decreased. The vehicle was not taken to a mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 136,000.

- Haw River, NC, USA

Oct 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 40 mph without warning. The contact would have to restart the vehicle in order for the vehicle to perform normally. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technicians advised her that the throttle body failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact stated that she experienced the same failure one year prior to the recent failure and the vehicle was repaired then for the throttle body. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 170,000. The current mileage was approximately 183,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

May 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My Freestyle started "lunging" or accelerating without any warning. This happens usually when trying to slow down or braking. Fear is that I will not be able to stop or that it will lung when in a parking lot.

- Owens Cross Roads, AL, USA

Dec 122012

I just got the vehicle in November 2012 and on 12/12/2012 I was driving home, the rpms started revving on it's own at speeds between 50-60 mph. I was not increasing it's gas. I made it home and stopped at the mailbox; as I let off the brake the vehicle lurched forward without me hitting the gas. Then on 12/13/2012 as I was driving to work it did the same lurching coming out of park in my driveway and also at stop lights and signs. It also did the same revving and halfway to work it decided not to go over 40 mph.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Dec 302009

Freestyle 6-cyl

Throttle body failed twice. Had repaired because vehicle lunged and almost hit a lady at kroger grocery store. Foot was firm on brake. Very dangerous in my opinion. I'm a Ford Motor Company employee and I've heard this problem from friends at work.also engine races sometimes.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Can be driving any speed or stopped and lose ability to accelerate. Have to pull over turn ignition off and restart the car, problem fixed for a little while, frequently while merging to an E way, or hilly areas, Ford mechanics have looked at car and cant tell us what is wrong, people who engineered car have looked at it and cant give an answer. Due to problems with car we owe more than it is worth now and cant trade in with recurring problem. Ford needs to step up and handle this problem.

- Allegan, MI, USA

Sep 012010

The vehicle lunges when in low gears going frontward and backward. Braking stops this, but brake has to be applied harder than usual. I have complained about this before to no avail. Because this does not happen all the time, my mechanic could not diagnose the problem. Usually this happens at very low speeds like at traffic lights, in parking lots, etc.

- Durango, CO, USA