2006 Ford Freestyle lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments

Jul 022013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The passenger side puddle light under the mirror was smoking. I'd had the driver side door and trunk open for just about three minutes when someone passing by brought it to my attention that the right side mirror was smoking. You could smell plastic burning and feel the heat when you touched the mirror. After a period of time it stopped smoking. The following day July 3rd it happened again. I decided not drive the car for a couple of days rather than chancing any additional damage. I took the car to the Lincoln dealer on Monday where they cut the wire for the puddle light and showed me the damage to the unit. I was told that to repair this I would have to replace the entire mirror assembly at a cost of $500. At this point I am undecided as to what I will do. Apparently this is a problem that Ford knows about, but I could not find any technical service bulletins. I did find numerous complaints about this particular problem with the puddle lights not just limited to the Freestyle.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Apr 262013

Freestyle 6-cyl

While the car was in are garage and after opening door the puddle light on the right side mirror started smoking and sparking. Fire department was call and checked car after disconnecting battery. Puddle light has burn area and wiring to it was burnt. Fuse did not blow, light stopped burning after wires brock. Ford dealer says to replay light you have to replace whole mirror unit aprox cost $300.

- Enon, OH, USA

Jun 152009

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2006 Ford Freestyle first started to surge a couple of years after we got it(approx 2009) I reset it (as was explained in the manual) no major issue-I thought. It surged mostly while the ac was on, when it was hot and sometimes in reverse. After awhile I made allowances for this issue. My car was taken to the mechanic periodically for maintenance w/ no other (new or major mechanical) issues over the next few years. This past summer-2012(it has continued to surge(worse than before)) it also stalled a couple of times. My car was taken in and the throttle body was cleaned(I continued to experience problems all through the summer). It is now December and since September, my car has now stalled out 4 times! the most recent was the day after it was checked by a mechanic. The panel light for the drivetrain illuminates for awhile as well as the check engine light. My car just got a new alternator this past week and stalled on the freeway. All these years I have taken the advice of the forums while communicating with my mechanic to rectify the annoying and dangerous issues. I have not written before because I didn't take this problem as seriously as I should have. I have two young children and do not like stalling out on the streets. If this problem is so prevalent, why doesn't Ford just recall it and take accountability for their faulty car?!

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Apr 132012

Freestyle

My daughter had a wreck, she rear-ended a truck who ran into another vehicle. The airbag on my vehicle did not deploy although the seatbelt did lock up. There had been no warning light stating that there was anything wrong with the airbag. I have written to Ford about this malfunction but they just say there is no recall on the airbags. I told them that unfortunately no one will know if there is a problem until they have an accident. I feel this is a very unsafe part and needs investigation.

- Onalaska, TX, USA

Jan 052012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Summary: I was putting gas in my car, as I entered the car after fueling, I was talking to my mother for a moment, and as I was about to place the key in the ignition, there was black smoke coming from the passenger mirror. I got out and ran over, and saw flames. I ripped the black cover with the mirror off, saw that there was an electrical fire. Burning myself, I put the fire out in time to keep it from getting out of control. With the fire safely out, I saw that it was from the led courtesy light assembly at the bottom of the passenger side mirror. It was completely melted and burned. I removed the part, (as well as the one from the driver side for safe measure), and took them to my local Ford dealership so they could report it as a faulty part. The part is the wagner part 71077. According to the driver side (I could not read the passenger side to see if it has the same part number, or if it is different for right and left.) the wire assembly, was burned near the base of the wires where they enter the assembly. Had I not been there to put out the fire, my car would have burnt to the ground!!! my hand is recovering at this time. Updated 09/19/13 the consumer sold the vehicle, a year ago. Updated 09/24/13

- Ottawa, KS, USA