9.3

$5,660.00

1. replace transmission or rebuild hard parts (11 reports)
2006 Ford Freestyle transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Freestyle:

2006 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments

Mar 072014

Freestyle V6

• CVT transmission

I purchased a 2006 Ford Freestyle 6 months ago and current have a car-note on it as well and the Transmission has failed on me. The car would not move and the indicators stated it was the transmission. I am pissed right not because I was told it would cost between 2250-5500 to fix this vehicle. When I purchased this car I was told that the extended warranty would cost to much and it was not necessary. I actually picked out another car but the car dealership knew this car was a piece of junk and was trying to get rid of it. I looked online and saw thousands of other consumers had the same issue with the stupid CVT transmissions Ford put in the 2005-2007 Ford Freestyle there need to be a recall for a poor stupid consumer that thought we were getting a good car. My car is currently sitting at a mechanic shop and I cannot pay for it. I need to know what I can do before they start charging storage fees too.

- , Rochester, NY, USA

Mar 012014

Freestyle 3.0lV6

• CVT transmission

I have looked for a used trans and I am finding out there is simply hundreds of these cars with bad transmissions for sale or being parted out because of the trans. For a dealership to replace it, it will cost basically the KBB value of the car!!!!!!!!!!!!! The transmissions go out at a early very low mileage on these vehicles!! I don't see how there hasn't been a recall on this CVT transmission yet. A re-manufactured trans without labor is about $ 4500. I want to know how I can force Ford into a recall for all of us that own this vehicle.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , glouster, Virginia, USA

Mar 072014

Freestyle SE 3.0L

• CVT transmission

ford CVT transmission good until goes out. had complete service job approx may 2013 transmission included, spent 1600.00 had regular service on vehicle. tranny goes out this march 2014 6200 to fix car worth less. owe 5000 on it. Ford should recall or replace if they knew it had problems will never buy from ford again. even if i trade in dealer give me 500 bullshit plus the thottle body went out on mine. recalled 2007 but not 2006 mine surged and surged until wrent light came on left me stranded, put more money in vehicle than its worth. stuck paying for car that cant be drives, such would not be a Ford executive, hell no.

- , Wichita, Kansas, USA

Jul 212012

Freestyle

• CVT transmission

Im a mechanic and recently acquired a Ford Free Style ,with trans problem,I changed the filter you know the one in the pan!,took me a bout two week to convince people that it had one,because of the cvt issue,one shop sold me something that looked like an in line fuel filter for a tractor,called it a high pressure return filter,right!,after all this work I jacked up the front put the car in gear and low and behold it took off,but when I put it back down not only did the vehicle not move I could not idle up the engine,pushed the pedal to the floor and nothing just sat there at curb idle,when I run my computer on it I get two codes ,one for the trans and one for the engine,the engine code is throttle body,but so is the trans code,so now Im wondering,is there some type of pump or sensor or vacuum line that has control over the transmission,I m afraid to replace it and have it happen again,I'm lost!

- , Castle Hayne, NC, canada

May 012012

Freestyle

• CVT transmission

I just want to say that I'm totally disappointed with Ford. My transmission went out and i took it the dealer and they want 6500.00 for another transmission .They are out of their ###@!!!!! mind !!!!!!!! i had to buy me a beater to transport my kids to school. It will be last Ford i buy that's for sure.

- , Hammond, Indiana, USA

Aug 012012

Freestyle Limited AWD V6

• CVT transmission

I owned a Japanese van and it gave me trouble since I bought it, so I recently traded it in for a 2006 FORD Freestyle after remembering how awesome it was to have previously owned 2 Windstars. I'm a struggling single mom of 6 kids and I saved up to pay cash for this used 2006 Ford Freestyle expecting it to be reliable and to last me for at least 6 years as I could never afford to fly with my family and have to rely on cars. I recently lost my job so this investment of $12,500 was extremely stressful for my whole family. We had to sell a lot of our stuff to come up with the money. At the time I thought I would rather spend more money on a reliable car than to buy another junk that will cost more in repairs. The body and interior was beautiful. But within a month, the car started to shake and tremble as I drove it and wouldn't let me go faster than 45 mph. Keeping the A/C made it worse. If I drove it for several miles, the speed would decrease to 25 mph. The service engine light and the transmission light (the wrench symbol) would light up. If I stopped even on a slight slope at a red light, the car won't move forward when the traffic light turned green. I have to put the car into neutral and roll it backward and then simply pray to God someone won't slam into me. The car wouldn't go into the reverse gear, so I had to avoid going backwards. I brought it into a mechanic and he said that he was unable to get the parts to fix it because Ford does not sell transmission parts to anyone. I had no choice but to bring it into Ford which cost $105 per hour for labor. They took 10 hours to take the transmission apart (that's $1,050 right there). Recommended I replace the entire transmission since it's a CVT transmission (all-in-one unit). Cost is $6500 for the transmission. I have no clue how much more hours it will take for labor to put the new transmission in. I absolutely have no money to invest into getting it fixed. Meanwhile,my kids and I are currently walking because Ford claimed my car was unsafe to drive and I have no money to fix it. I am so sorry I trusted Ford. I should have been more investigative and read up on the model on this site before making such an investment. I got burned. I never purchase another Ford again. Shame on them for selling cars that simply look good but lasts less than 100K miles! I noticed the 2005 Freestyles were the worst for transmission failure. Mine is a 2006. You would think they'd back up their customers and provide good after-service for their products. Being Japanese, I must say that Japanese car companies have pride in their product and work. I've never heard of any Toyota's transmission failing in less than 100K miles. I am very disappointed in my Ford. I don't recommend this car to anyone. It will truly be the worst mistake you'll ever make.

- , Longmont, CO, USA

Jan 052012

Freestyle Limited

I have a 2006 Ford Freestyle with just over 65.000 mile that is having transmission problems. It is presently at the Ford Service Center. They are quoting me a cost of $570.00 the disassemble the transmission to determine to problem. If I let them perform this action, and the transmission can't be repaired, it must be replaced. My warranty extended warranty expired a 60000 mile. The estimated cost to replace the transmission is $6000.00. I am still paying on a vehicle that can't be driven. Stuck with out a vehicle.

- , Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Feb 232011

Freestyle ES 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

MY CVT TRANSMISSION WENT OUT WHILE I WAS ON VACATION. I WAS WITHOUT A CAR FOR 6 WEEKS. I HQVE SINCE FOUND OUT THE CVT IS NOT RELIABLE AND CANNOT BE CHECKED FOR FLUID LEVELS. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN A FORD GUY. I HAVE LOST CONFIDENCE IN THIS CAR AND AM TRYING TO SELL IT.

- , Evansville, Indiana, USA

Mar 242011

Freestyle Limited 3.2L V6

• CVT transmission

Ford knows there is a problem with the 2006 Freestyle CVT transmission but won't do anything about it because there weren't enough cars with the problem to recall. Not my fault they discovered the problem so stopped making the car so kept the number low. I see many, many people that have had the problem. My biggest complaint is it stranded me one day but started running again a few hours later. The next morning I called the dealer and talked to the Service mgr about the problem. I wasn't sure if it was safe to drive and it was still covered under the extended warranty. The mgr told me since the wrench light went out it would be a waste of time to bring it in because if no light they can't detect a code. Continued to drive the car and was in traffic when it decided to just take off on its own. I was approaching a red light when this happened and was stomping the brakes trying to stop the car as the transmission tried to go full blast. Almost rear-ended a woman with three kids. Scared me to death! Now the transmission is out and the mileage is 400 out of warranty and I didn't get hurt or kill anybody so Ford says too bad for you!! The car is now worth $10k, I owe $12k and a new transmission is $8k. Think Ford will have to get this car back. Really mad. Realize they won't recall but should help people who have this same problem since hundreds have. Thought Ford being an American company would take care of their customers. Their customer service sucks! I found out they knew all of this when the salesman talked me into this great car! I got suckered into that one. This mistake will never be made again because I will NEVER purchase a Ford just for the principal of the thing. In the past years had a Chevy and an Oldsmobile that had problems out of warranty and luckily they took care of it and at least met me in the middle. I went to fix my Freestyle and could get parts from a friend who works for Ford at cost from the Ford warehouse. The dealer said they wouldn't accept them even though they came from the same place they would buy them from or they wouldn't give me a warranty. That was the last straw! Ford can keep their piece of crap!

- , Lillington, NC, USA

Jun 242009

Freestyle ES 3.0L

• CVT transmission

We only had our Fordfreestyle for 1 year and the factory warranty had just expired. We had no warning of any kind not even a check engine light! My husband and I were only about 5 minutes from our home when the transmission went out and stranded us along the road in the middle of summer with a car load of groceries! We called our local ford dealership to find out if there had been any recalls and low and behold no recalls of any kind and they proceeded to tell us it would cost us fifty dollars to run a test to detect the problem and afterward told us it needed a new transmission and it would cost us 5,500 to get a new transmission. This was very disturbing news because my husband and I live on a fixed income my husband is disabled! By luck we found a local transmission specialists who found a used transmission from another state but unfortunately it had 20,000 more miles then our vehicle . I am very upset with the ford company not standing behind there products! This was suppose to be a new style of transmissions and from what I can tell they are junk and causing alot of people money and hardships! This is very discouraging I don't think my family will be purchasing another ford vehicle anytime soon!!!!

- , McArthur, OH, USA

Aug 052008

Freestyle Limited

• CVT transmission

The first time the transmission problem started was approximately seven months after buying the car from Liberty Ford in Randallstown, MD. The dealership did replace the transmission, thankfully, but the issue with me is I only had the car for about SEVEN MONTHS!

Update from Jun 15, 2012: To update, I have since gotten rid of my car that I really loved. The transmission went up a second time and I was unable to afford the very expensive transmission for this car. I cannot remember at this time exactly when the transmission went up after the first time...but I've only had the car for a total period of two years or less.

- , Windsor Mill, MD, USA

Mar 082009

Freestyle SEL V6

we purchased the 2006 ford freestyle two years ago this past december. after putting only 30,000 miles on it, the transmission went without any warning. the wrench light came on about two miles from our home and before we made it home the transmission went while turning onto our street. we have gotten inside information from ford stating that there has been a technical service bulletin put out for this problem however ford thinks it's not necessary to inform their customers of this problem nor do they feel obligated to fix the damage that was known to exist. they now want $6000 to put in a new transmission or $8000 to rebuild the existing transmission by replacing the hard parts. the car is valued now at roughly $8000 to $9000 which has made the decision not to repair the vehicle a no brainer, however we now still owe $12,000 in a car loan for a vehicle that is absolutely of no use to us. so here we are a family of 5 with out a vehicle and three years for payments left. ford claims to be a family oriented company, obviously they weren't thinking of my family when they made that claim.

- , Round Hill, VA, USA