2007 Ford Freestyle electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 132016

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While driving at a low speed, the vehicle shook while making a turn and stalled. The failure usually occurred when the air conditioner was activated. The vehicle was able to restart and was taken to a mechanic who diagnosed that the electronic throttle body failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN and failure mileage were not available.... updated 08/23/16

- Harpwell, GA, USA

Feb 152016

The front passenger stretched his legs and managed to kick the exposed fuel shut off switch under the glove box and above the right side kick panel which disabled the car traffic and it would not restart. The driver was able to coast of the road and was picked up by aaa. Have there been any other reports of this event. The car was on the right side of an interstate. Had it been in the left lane there could have been a serious accident. Do you have any reports of such an event. I have not been able to locate any at this point.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 082014

I have two 2007 Ford one is a Freestyle and the other is a Sport Trac and they are having the same problem. The inside lights come on and off by themselves. They stay on for a few minutes then they click back off then back on and off again. The Freestyle does not have a auto switch for the lights but the Sport Trac does. It happens all the while that you are driving which in the state of Texas if the inside lights are on while driving you can get a ticket.

- Wylie, TX, USA

Nov 172015

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While driving at approximately 55 mph, the vehicle made a wobbling motion and the traction control warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Minneanpolis, MN, USA

Feb 042014

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the check engine warning lamp flashed several times and then went off. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who was not able to replicate and diagnose the failure. When the vehicle was in reverse, it independently surged backwards and the contact had to quickly apply the brake pedal each time the failure occurred. The contact also stated that the vehicle hesitated numerous times upon starting and then stalled. The contact had to apply the brake pedal while at a stop due to the vehicle independently moving forward. The vehicle was not inspected and diagnosed. The contact was not able to drive the vehicle for several months due to the intermittent failures. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 12,000.

- Olive Branch, MS, USA

Dec 302014

Helicopter noise started in December 2014. You hear the whirling sound in park neutral and reverse- sounds fine in drive. Driving fine. No loss of power this vehicle gets driven about 100 miles a day. Last week had dealer look and tell me the torque converter about to break. Can only fix it with complete new tranny install. $6300!!! took it to independent transmission guy and tells me same thing with lower price. 2 hours later after I stopped car and went into store and started car up and the wrench was lit up on dash. No power. Revving really high. Bucking and undriveable. Got a code reader and code P042-hydraulic pressure unit came up let car sit for 30 mins then turned car on and wrench display gone! moved car out of road to safety and there it sits. Should I be fixing a car that cannot be guaranteed to never do this again as all cvt transmissions do this" how can Ford be ok with this" my vehicle is amazing and roomy and safe and I hate to think its ready for the junkyard at 140K. So disappointed with Ford. Please join me in hopes that Ford will step up to the plate and acknowledge this.

- Sanbornville, NH, USA

Jan 012015

Freestyle 6-cyl

I got into my car, turned the key in the ignition and it started sounding like a helicopter. This noise happens while the vehicle is in park, neutral and while reversing. I have spoken with a transmission shop and have been told it is a known problem with the internal components of the transmission. It will cost around $6000 to fix. There is still plenty of life left in my car. No body or interior or damage/issues. I still have 2 years left on my loan. If Ford knows about this issue it should have been repaired. This is dangerous and now I am not able to drive my car for fear of getting hurt or being stranded.

- Biddeford, ME, USA

Jun 062014

While driving on highway my traction control, airbag, seat belt, ABS & parking brake lights came on. I was able to drive car home, but soon after my transmission was also affected.took car to dealer and a week later, they finally found the traction control motor is gone and needs to be replaced $ doesn't know if the traction controller needs to be replaced too, but will test that after loading new motor. If the controller needs to be replaced, then it's another $1,200 on top of everything else. Dealer originally thought it was an electrical problem which they never found and costing so much money and time.

- Naugatuck, CT, USA

Feb 192008

Owned vehicle for three years. 4-7 times while driving at highway speed only in cruise control the car would completely turn off. Switching the ignition off and then starting it again would result in normal function. Got so that I did not even have to pull to side of road as I could complete the switch off on in neutral and restart whole still in motion. Occurrence was random. Always weeks or months apart. Had dealer check system three times but no cause could be found.

- Decorah, IA, USA

Jan 202014

Freestyle 6-cyl

We went out to the garage to get in the car to leave. I opened the back of the car to put a bag in. My daughter went to the passenger side to get in and the mirror was smoking. We went to get a fire extinguisher but it burned out on its own. There was smoke and flames coming from behind the mirror glass. I unplugged the mirror to keep it from burning again. Now my windows don't work.

- Lagrange, KY, USA

Mar 272010

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was idling in a parking lot in my parking spot and the car surged so strong I almost drove into the building in front of me. The wrench warning light came on and the car drove poorly for a few miles. It was jumpy and not very much power. We called Ford and he recommended pulling the battery cable off the battery to reset it and bring it in as soon as we got back from our vacation. It seemed to do ok for a while then randomly it would surge while idling.( in 2011 maybe once a month. In 2012 probably every other day.) brought it to Ford a few times and they didn't know what to do because it didn't do it while they had it. Also the air conditioner will randomly shut off for a minute or two then suddenly come back on. The lights in the car will do the same thing. Also the dash warning lights sometimes all come on at once and then all go out for a while. ( I cant see my speed so I have to pull over). I was scared to let my daughter or strangers drive my car. I am afraid they will get hurt or hurt some one. I have to always hold my brake all the way down and quickly let off and put the brakes back on to pull into parking spaces so I don't run into the vehicle in front of me.

- Lecanto, FL, USA

Jan 032011

While at a signal completely stopped, the vehicle motor revved and excelled acted forward. This caused the engine to die and all dash lights came on. The engine light stayed on after restarting. This has happened several time almost causing several accidents. We have had our transmission replaced because of it. The amount of times it happened and torque it produced caused damage in transmission. We have had several mechanics refuse to work on this issue because they say this model is know to do this and no one knows how to fix it. I am out $7000 and a unreliable car that is unsafe to put my wife and kids in. Ford has said they would look at it and would cost me another $5000, and we're not sure if they themselves could fix it. They are not sure what the issue is, but would be willing to research if I pay for it.

- Antioch, CA, USA

Aug 112011

Freestyle 6-cyl

While attempting to park the vehicle, it lunged forward. The failure also occurred while at a stop light. The vehicle stalled various times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the throttle body was cleaned; yet, the failure continued to occur. The vehicle was repaired the cvt transmission, but fix the problem.

- Morovis, PR, USA

Jul 012010

Freestyle 6-cyl

Not long after I purchased the 2007 Ford Freestyle, summer came and I was using the air conditioner a lot. I noticed that when the ac was running, especially at high, the car would "lurch" forward at low speeds (probably 5 mph or less ). when I was parking the car, rolling into a parking space, with my foot hovering over the brake pedal, as soon as I got to the proper spot, the car would "lurch". when I would back out of a parking space with my foot hovering above the brake, it would "lurch". this proved to be a scary situation many times as there were cars passing in the parking lot. Many times, I could have hit another car. Even in the drive through of fast food restaurants with other cars in line, many times I have almost hit the car in front of me. Many times, my car has "lurched" and stalled. The wrench light comes on, and if I don't turn the car all the way off in park, the car does not behave properly (as in no acceleration) nor does the wrench light go off. In the beginning, I thought it was something to do with the air conditioner being on high. The problem stopped in the winter when the ac wasn't being used. However, in the summer of 2011, it all started again. My ac went out, so I had it worked on. The problem continued. Today, the problem continues. I almost hit a child in a parking lot the other day because my car "lurched". I began searching and found that others are having the same scary problem with their Ford Freestyles. It sounds as if I am maybe lazy or not too concerned since I haven't had this checked earlier, but frankly, I don't have the money to spend on repairs, so I keep hoping it won't cause a disastrous situation. Please investigate this issue before it does become deadly.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Jun 062012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Parked in parking garage. When backing up, car lurched and ran into another vehicle that was backing up. I was in reverse when the other car backed up. Foot on brake and car lurched into other car. No personal injuries than goodness. Since that time, it has lurched in both forward and reverse. I originally thought that somehow my foot hit the gas pedal and could not figure out how I was doing this. I also thought that maybe the floor mat had somehow bound the gas pedal, but, I checked and it is not the problem. Sensor replaced on car as mechanic thought that this might be causing the problem. It was fine after that for about 1,500 miles and problem has started again. The problem seems to be made worse if the temperature is over 90 outside or if the car is sitting and idling or operating at low speeds. I have been lucky that no other property damage and/or personal injuries.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 162012

Freestyle 6-cyl

After several hours of sitting in the heat (90+ F) the car failed to start. The engine never turned over, or made any sound indicating the starter was even doing anything. After closing the drivers door and turning off the A/C, the engine started up as it would normally. This has happened on 3 separate occasions.

- Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Jul 082011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle surges forward whether the vehicle is in drive or reverse. I have had the throttle body replaced in 2011. I have had to replace brakes at 30,000 miles. The driver side back door will not lock with the key remote. On July 6 2012 with ac on driving slowly out of a parking lot car would not go. It started up and I went about 20ft and car just died. On July 10, 2012 took it to dealer in Virginia beach, va. On Tuesday, July 12, 2012 I was told it was something to do with the powertrain and the cost would be $1600. I went ballastic and asked to speak to manager and then asked for number to Ford company. I talked with someone there explained my financial situation and was given a claim number and said someone would get back to me in four (4) days about financial assistance, which is not what I was looking for. I told the Ford rep, that I had been looking on the internet about all the complaints about my 2007 Freestyle and asked why there was not a recall on this car. On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 dealer called and said the problem was not the $1600 deal but a pigtail (whatever that is) at the tune of $600. I am afraid of this car and I am looking to get rid of it as soon as possible.

- Portsmouth, VA, USA

May 012009

Freestyle 6-cyl

When attempting to enter a parking space, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and lurched forward necessitating a very quick change of foot position from gas pedal to brake pedal. After bringing vehicle to a complete stop and again attempting to move forward into a parking space, vehicle repeated lurching movements, and again necessitated rapid change of foot position to brake. Vehicle continues to exhibit problem, not only when moving forward, but also when vehicle is in reverse. It has been inspected several times at a certified Ford dealership, with no obvious defects detected. Online defects search lists numerous reports of similar problems with solution being to replace throttle body, a very costly repair.

- Ivins, UT, USA

Nov 302010

Freestyle 6-cyl

2007 Ford Freestyle. Consumer states vehicle had a burning smell and stopped running while driving the consumer stated the catalytic converter was replaced. A few days later, the burning smell returned and the vehicle stopped running. The dealer replaced the catalytic converter again. The consumer stated the catalytic converter was replaced three times. Also, the manifold, gasket and seals had to be replaced because they melted due to heat. Three months later. The oil light illuminated. The service mechanic informed the consumer there was no oil in the engine and he was unable to see any type of leak. The consumer was informed the entire exhaust system needed to be replaced as well as the ignition coil and fans, because the vehicle would probably overheat.

- Mendham, NJ, USA