2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Jul 022012

Freestyle 6-cyl

On and off over the month of July 2012, when I put my car in reverse to pull out of a parking spot or driveway it surges/jumps without my foot touching the gas pedal. It happens only when I try and reverse. This keeps happening and I'm afraid one day I'm going to hit someone or something as I can't control the surges. Also on July 7, 2012 the engine just cut off on me while reversing out of a parking space. I was able to start it back up again after it died. In December 2011 I had a new transmission put in. Also in June 2011 I had to replace the ac compressor.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jul 202012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My car will lunge forward when my foot is not on the accelerator. I have to slam on the brake to stop the motion before hitting the car in front of me or a pedestrian in a parking lot. I did an internet search and found there is an open investigation on this and thought I should report it on my car. This is very scary to me and happens quite often in a drive through or when I am backing out of a parking space. I am not sure what I should do next.

- Schaumburg, IL, USA

Jun 062012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Parked in parking garage. When backing up, car lurched and ran into another vehicle that was backing up. I was in reverse when the other car backed up. Foot on brake and car lurched into other car. No personal injuries than goodness. Since that time, it has lurched in both forward and reverse. I originally thought that somehow my foot hit the gas pedal and could not figure out how I was doing this. I also thought that maybe the floor mat had somehow bound the gas pedal, but, I checked and it is not the problem. Sensor replaced on car as mechanic thought that this might be causing the problem. It was fine after that for about 1,500 miles and problem has started again. The problem seems to be made worse if the temperature is over 90 outside or if the car is sitting and idling or operating at low speeds. I have been lucky that no other property damage and/or personal injuries.

- Charleston, SC, USA

Jul 172008

Freestyle

Have multiple issue with my Ford Freestyle: Engine surges/lunges, then stalls at lights or driving at low speeds. After explaining this to Ford before the warranty expired they kept the vehicle for days and claim issue was not duplicated...when I came back to them a month later I replaced the (etc) at Ford's recommendation. They charged me for this. After about 3 years of having the vehicle, I had to replace the engine mount. The dash lights have been going out one by one. When the first one went, it happened before the warranty expired but, Ford claimed it wasn't covered and wanted to charge me over $200 to replace a.10 cent light bulb. I told them not too and they still charged me $50 for the inspection. Though the surging stopped for a year and a half after replacing the etc, the surging/lunging has returned. And since the warranty has long since expired and I am under-employed, I haven't had the money to replace this part again.

- Norcross, GA, USA

Jul 182012

Freestyle 6-cyl

In June 2011 I had to bring my vehicle in for service, I noticed prior to my vehicle breaking down the vehicle would lurch even thou my foot was not on the accelerator pedal (in forward or reverse). The temp outside was in the low 90's. I had bought this vehicle in the fall of 2010. Now today (18 July 2012) I am once again taking my car in for the same repairs (parts replacement). The temp yesterday was near 90, I had the air on and was backing into a parking spot when my vehicle lurched back instantly without my foot on the accelerator (I had to slam on the brakes) so I did not crash into the other vehicle in the stall behind the one I was baking into. All the sudden the engine stalled; I re-started the vehicle (and the check engine light came on and is now on constantly as it was back in 2011). When I left the parking slot I was in I attempted to go home; the vehicle lurched the whole time I was in the parking lot, once I was on the main road the vehicle would not accelerate normally; also the cruise control would not work. Again; these are the same problems I had in 2011. I crept my car to the superior Ford dealership where I had the work done before. I asked the service dept worker if she knew of any tech-issues or concerns and she said no....I was not buying it.

- New Hope, MN, USA

Jul 172012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have had the throttle replaced last year around June 2011 and lately (only a year later July 2012) the throttle is accelerating on its on own once again when I'm parking my vehicle and while backing out (reverse). Why isn't this on a recall list by now"?"

- Bonita Springs, FL, USA

Jul 122012

Freestyle 6-cyl

While driving in 90 degree + temperatures, we have noticed that the car lurches while reversing from a parking spot, or at a stop. Braking does stop the unexpected acceleration, however it still feels unsafe. This has happened 3-6 times, and as recently as today (7/17/12). It is not driver error - again has happened enough that we are able to analyze that the foot is not on the gas. Check engine light comes on when this occurs.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Jul 012009

Freestyle

The vehicle routinely lurches forward while my foot is on the brake and the engine is idling. This began during the summer of 2009, and continues today. It is especially common during warm weather. Sometimes after this happens, the engine will stall after I take my foot off the brake and try to accelerate on my own.

- Huntington Woods, MI, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lunges when stopped. Check engine light goes off and comes on. Vehicle losses all power. When vehicle restarts it operates okay for awhile and then problem repeats itself.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

May 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle suddenly surges from stopped position without the accelerator being depressed, occurs in forward and reverse without warning, problem is intermittent.

- Swedesboro, NJ, USA

Jun 292012

Freestyle

Over the months, when driving the vehicle there were inconsistent occurrences of surging forward or backward at low speeds without accelerating. Typically this has occurred when parking or backing out of a parking spot/garage. It has increased lately and this past Friday, the vehicle surged greatly and then the engine stalled. This has happened after idling. The only "remedy" is shutting the vehicle down completely and then restarting.

- Scenery Hill, PA, USA

May 312012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car first started when I had it on cruise control going down the highway at 70mph. I had the air conditioning on and the tach went to 4,000 rpms and the car shut off while going down the highway. The car when sitting idle will idle up and down. When put into reverse or drive the car jumps forward or backwards and you can barely stop it by pressing the brakes. Now when the car is put into reverse and your backing out of a parking space the car will lunge and then turn off.

- Little River, SC, USA

Jun 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward abnormally before completely stalling. The contact was able to restart the vehicle but the failure recurred consistently especially when the air conditioning unit was activated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repair. The current mileage was 93,000. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Stephens City, VA, USA

Aug 052011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Engine surges at low speed, vehicle lunges. Issue is exacerbated when air conditioner is on.

- Mount Solon, VA, USA

Jun 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle has been lunging forward or backward when idling or at very low speeds, both in drive and reverse. For example, when pulling the car in or out of a parking space or when slowing at an intersection. It will lunge several feet sometimes, and I have nearly hit parked cars and once nearly hit a pedestrian. I have to slam on the brake to stop the car from hitting things! I have done some research and there are so many people experiencing this same exact problem with this vehicle. It is a safety hazard! this needs to be recalled and fixed by Ford, before many people get injured!

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Aug 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

If you have your A/C on and leave your car idling for just a few minutes then when you put it in reverse or drive, it surges a few feet like 4 to 5 ft unless you really hold the brake down. It really seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

- Hempstead, TX, USA

Jun 222012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle has a cvt transmission problem. When I arrived at the hotel, the valet parking driver almost hit the car on the front because of sudden accelerator of the transmission. I also almost hit another car after that.

- Tujunga, CA, USA

May 142012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When idling at an intersection or taking off from a parked position...the Freestyle will experience a quick surge of acceleration. I have been fortunate enough to apply the brake to stop the vehicle without incident. It seems to occur more when air conditioning is on. The most recent occurrence happened to my wife when she was out with the kids. She put on the gas, it lunged forward, she slammed the brakes and then the engine stalled...this happened twice. We parked the vehicle in a parking lot overnight. We were able to drive it the next morning to the Ford dealership for service. It's happening way too often and it isn't safe.

- Warsaw, IN, USA

Jun 012009

Freestyle 6-cyl

When I'm parked the engine revs up or when I try to reverse it speeds up, even with my foot on the brake. The car will stall out when I'm reversing or jump and lunge when I'm driving. It's terrifying because it's sped up on it's own so quickly that I've almost had several wrecks. I won't even let anyone else drive my car because it is unsafe and a liability.

- Wellington, FL, USA

Jun 132011

Freestyle

The contact owns 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact stated that the failure occurred moments after the vehicle surged forward. The contact stated that the check engine light illuminated once the vehicle was restarted. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 70,000 and the current mileage was 112,000.

- Collins, MS, USA