8.8

2. install new throttle body (3 reports)
  3. clean throttle body with cleaner (1 reports)
2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments

Jul 172013

Freestyle SEL 3.5L

• CVT transmission

2007 Freestyle would surge at low rpm, When backing up, had it surge and almost hit a car, even pulling out of a parking spot it would all of a sudden surge and I almost hit a person. Drove it to the repair, Canadian Tire, and the computer would limit the rpm, so could not go past 80 kph.

They did a tune up and $1000 later, still had the issue. Turned to the internet. The consensus was that the throttle body valve was sticking. Cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and never had the problem since.

- , Waterdown, ON, canada

Jul 162010

Freestyle SEL V6

• CVT transmission

I was stopped for a traffic light when the vehicle surged forward about 1-2 feet. The "wrench" light then came on. I took the vehicle to the dealership and was told the electronic throttle control assembly module needed to be replaced at a cost of about $750. The part was ordered in late July and it is now October 15 and it has not yet arrived. I was told there is a nationwide shortage of the part. I also see that many other people are having the same problems with their Freestyles. The part is not covered under warranty, of course. The problem has not happened again. The day it happened it was very hot and the a/c was on.

- , Exton, PA, USA

Jan 102007

Freestyle SEL 3.2L V6

Went to dealer didnt find a problem. just continues to get worst. Stop on brake release and my car lunges forward. Went back to dealer now they say they can fix for 900 dollars. I believe Ford needs to take care of this problem. Now it lunges forward and cuts off. Will it take a death for Ford to listen?

- , Spicewood, TX, USA

May 012011

Freestyle SEL

My 2007 Ford Freestyle is suging forward and stalling in traffic. This is a major safety issue it will surge forward in parking lots with pedestrians walking around. The car has surged forward and stalled in traffic with my children in the car. I am told that it will cost over $700 to fix the Throttle Body. Ford should step up and recall this error...This is a safety issue and a defective part. STEP UP FORD and replace our faith in your cars

- , Humble, TX, USA

May 082011

Freestyle Limited

when put in reverse - car surged backwards - about hit a child - when put in forward gear = car surged - jerked - had no rpms. at time of purchase i drilled the sales manager about the transmission and stated that I did not want the same problems as experienced with my Windstar. Was told different type of transmission, update - not gear driven - solved the problems = LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR at Fort Mill Ford in Fort Mill, SC.

FORD SHOULD BE FORCED TO RECALL AND REPLACE THE THROTTLES OR ARE THEY WAITING FOR SOMEONE TO GET KILLED. THAN I WILL YELL LAWSUIT, LAWSUIT - FORD NEEDS TO GET OBAMA OUT OF THEIR REAR AND SOLVE THIS ISSUE. WHY ARE OTHER MANUFACTURES FORCED TO DO A RECALL BUT FORD/OBAMA IS NOT.

- , Fort Mill, SC, USA

Jul 152010

Freestyle Limited 3.0L V6

Took to the dealership who could not find anything wrong, complaint persisted for the next couple of months and then subsided

- , Westlake Village, CA, USA

Aug 212010

Freestyle

WOW! I loved my ford freestyle when we first bought it. It was spacious and not as big as most SUV's. A couple of times I had problems with the car accelerating while driving AND while I was on the brake. When I turn the car off, the lights would go off and the car seemed okay again. I am a mother of a 3 year old and I am currently 6 months pregnant with our second child. Therefore, when the incident happened again today I cannot tell you how worried I have become. Apparently Ford knows about this problem and hasn't recalled the car!!!! What if I run into another car...or worse, hit someone? I'm responsible..not Ford!!! That is complete bull!!!! Ford really needs to fix this problem!!!!!

- , Dalzell, SC, USA

Aug 172010

Freestyle

I took my Freestyle into the dealer today to have it looked at because it was lurching and not getting enough power. It was diagnosed with guess what...BAD THROTTLE BODY...and the mechanic had the nerve to suggest that it only happens to cars that aren't maintained properly by the owners. I explained that mine is well maintained and I have records to show for it, then he gave me the wonderful news that it would only cost me $1,188.93 to fix. He acted like it was a real rarity for this to happen and that I was getting a huge deal. He even charged me $99 for the privilege of diagnosing the problem. When I refused to hand over the funds right away, he came back to me and warned me that I needed to get it done soon or "the engine could seize" if I continued driving. Unbelievable. He made sure to remind me that it's really not safe to drive, but he also said that the issue was my lack of care of the vehicle and nothing to do with Ford. I gotta say, I'm really disappointed in both my car, and the mechanic.

When I got home from the dealer, I got another call suggesting that they may be able to reduce the repair charge by maybe 10%, and then another warning not to drive it.

When I googled the word Freestyle I see that I'm not the only person in the world to have this issue. There's been a LOT of complaints about need to get a brand new throttle body with less than 50K miles on the vehicle, and YES, OBVIOUSLY this is a huge safety concern.

By the way, I'm a single woman and my car has only 47K on it. I'm feeling pretty confident that the increased cost was associated with my gender...So, what others were told would cost them about $700 or so, I was informed would be almost $1,200 - guess it's more expensive to fix the problem when a woman is the primary driver!!!

Thankfully, I have recruited a guy to help me navigate these waters, but I want to warn others. BE CAREFUL WITH FORD FREESTYLES and the be especially careful if you're a single woman who the mechanics hope to separate from your money.

Ask for info, bring a friend who knows cars, etc. Hopefully the dealership will actually do the right thing tomorrow when I call them and let them know that I'm on to the ruse.

- , Willow Spring, NC, USA