2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 17 of 21)

Jan 082009

Freestyle 6-cyl

The engine surges when idling as well as lurches forward (while in drive thru lane) and it lurches in reverse. It is a major concern when parking and backing out of said location. It has already caused me to hit a concrete pillar in the parking garage!

- Dearborn, MI, USA

May 232011

Freestyle

Vehicle surges suddenly at idle speeds in parking lots. This seems to happen more in hot weather. It also loses power on the freeway and becomes very sluggish in acceleration. This is a dangerous situatioas the surges will casue the vehicle to jump forward or backward suddenly with pedestrians around.

- Clemmons, NC, USA

May 292011

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle wagon surges when I'm at low speeds, especially when I'm backing up or moving into a parking space. This has occurred the last 2 summers. I don't remember it happening in cool or cold weather. This happens almost every time I drive. We haven't done anything to fix it yet because we just found out that this is a common problem with this model.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

May 262011

Freestyle

Multiple incidents have occurred. While stopped with brake applied car surges and tries to move forward. Latest incident car happened while I was stopped waiting to make a right turn onto a street from a parking lot. Car surged and lunged forward stopping partially into the outside traffic lane where it died. Oncoming traffic was able to avoid my stalled car. I eventually got it started, backed up, and chose a different exit from another side of the same parking lot because there was lighter traffic on that side and I wasn't sure how the car would perform. Could easily have caused and accident.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 012010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle lunged forward abnormally while stopped at a traffic stop, with the brakes applied. The contact stated that the failure would also occur in reverse with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The contact would apply abrupt force to the brakes in order to stop the failure. The failure was experienced numerous times and the vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic that was unable to locate the failure. The dealer replaced the plastic air filter housing and a valve sensor but to no avail. The failure persisted and there were no further repairs. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 130,000 and the current mileage was 170,000.

- Overland Park , KS, USA

May 232010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when driving 5 mph or at a stop with the brakes depressed, the vehicle would surge forward without warning with an abnormal increase in engine rpms. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 76,947.

- Debary, FL, USA

Apr 162008

Freestyle

Car surges and "revs" when you put it in gear or when you change from reverse to drive, or drive to reverse. Lunges forward or backwards, have hit the front of the garage and had surges where have bumped other cars (not bad enough to file a claim). Seems like the engine just revs or surges all the time now. It has gotten worse over the years.

- Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

May 212011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I pulled into my driveway at a low rate of speed with the air conditioner running and my foot on the brake. The vehicle then lunged a foot forward with my foot still on the brake, completely out of my control. This is the most recent occurrence. My vehicle does this nearly every time I drive at low speeds, but it occurs much more frequently with the air on. To date no damage has been done and no injury had occurred, however my confidence in my vehicle and its safety is severely diminished. I brought my Freestyle to the Ford dealership to report and correct its lunging tendency. However, they were unable to find a cause, and subsequently a solution, for the problem.

- North Las Vegas, NV, USA

Aug 202010

Freestyle

On several occassions beginning on this date while driving under 10 miles per hour, the car would lung forward and then when the brakes were applied the car would stall. This "surging" problem would occur once you took your foot off of the brake after being stopped for a period of time but would happen before you pressed the acelerator. Because of the severity of the issue and after almost hitting another car while in a parking lot, we took the car to a Ford dealership. They diagnoised the problem and we had to have the throttle body replaced which was a significant cost. Since this issue is currently under investigation, we wanted to submit our experience to be considered and so that we would be notified in the case of recall.

- Dover, PA, USA

May 012008

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. When attempting to start the vehicle in warm temperatures, the contact stated that the vehicle would surge forward without warning. The dealer and manufacturer were not informed of the failure. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who was unable to duplicate the failure. No repairs were performed. The current mileage was approximately 79,000. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Lake Forest, CA, USA

May 092011

Freestyle

2007 Ford Freestyle- since I got my vehicle late 2007, when it is idling or driving slowly in drive or reverse a sudden increase in rpms and the car lunges forward or backwards depending on what gear it is in. It is more apparent when the air conditioning is on.

- Montrose, CO, USA

Feb 182008

Freestyle

The issue of "unintended acceleration" has been an issue with this vehicle when I first used the air conditioner in March of 2008. I ran into the back end of another car at a drive through fast food restaurant when the car surged and the brakes did not hold the vehicle back. There was no damage to either vehicle. I took it to a Ford dealer to check out the issue. They said there was nothing wrong. Over the years I have taken to other Ford dealers who also said their was nothing wrong - most recently 02/15/11. Over the years the vehicle has jumped over parking spaces concrete stops. The "unintended acceleration" happens dozens of times every day. I will not let anyone else in the family drive the vehicle. This vehicle is dangerous and Ford doesn't care!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 162010

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle crossover vehicle can lunge unexpectedly when driving at low speeds or idling. My Freestyle lunges up to 10 feet when the driver's foot is not on the accelerator or firmly on the brakes. Stepping on the brakes firmly stops the car from moving. The problem worsens when the air conditioning is on or the steering wheel is turned a lot. In both cases, the engine idle speed is increased to compensate for additional loads to run the air conditioning compressor or the power steering pump. The incidents of brief acceleration occur in both forward and reverse gears.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

May 172011

Freestyle

I am filling out a form regarding the investigation of the Ford Freestyle's 'lunging' problem. I had noticed this issue beginning a couple of years ago on my 2007 Freestyle limited fwd with cvt. It would be idling and then as I would put the car into gear whether it is forward or reverse, it would rev without my doing. I do not use my ac much at all so I doubt it was on when the revving happened but this problem happens about 2-3 times a month. Luckily, the issue has not caused any accidents, but if there is something that can be done to resolve the issue at no cost to me, I would surely appreciate it. I took my car to capitol Ford in raleigh, nc and after describing my problem, they told me I needed to spend $165 on a throttle body cleaning. A service I have never heard of in my life, though they say it is something that needs to be done every 30K miles. I love my car and want to keep it for as long as possible, and Ford has always been reliable when it comes to keeping me informed about things needing to be done to keep it running smoothly, but they have never before mentioned the throttle body cleaning until after I inquired about the recall investigation and the engine revving issue. I am wondering if this is the corporate line they are telling their people to tell us Freestyle owners in regards to spending money to get this problem fixed before you guys make it a free fix due to a recall. I certainly hope they are not trying to get money out of unsuspecting and loyal owners of their cars that put their family's lives in Ford's hands each and every day. If there is a known problem, don't make us pay for it, do the right thing and fix it!

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 162010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph in reverse, the vehicle would suddenly lunge forward without the contact applying the accelerator pedal. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 63,000. The consumer stated the sudden acceleration was noticed in slow speed situations; when pulling in/out of a parking space etc. Updated 08/01/11

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jun 172010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when first placing the vehicle in gear, it would lunge forward abnormally or in reverse. The dealer was contacted and they advised him that they were unaware of the failure. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or repaired for the failure. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was approximately 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Kittshill, OH, USA

Jul 042010

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped with the brakes engaged, there was an abnormal increase in engine rpms as the vehicle surged forward momentarily before stalling. Upon restart, the vehicle operated as normal. The failure recurred intermittently. The contact also stated that the failure recurred more often when the air conditioner was activated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 80,000. Updated 06/16/11 updated 07/08/11

- Hesperia, CA, USA

May 012010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when the vehicle was idled, it would surge forward with the brake pressed. The dealer did not offer any assistance and the manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The current and failure mileages were unknown.

- New Galilee, PA, USA

Oct 222010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when the vehicle was started during cold weather, the vehicle would abnormally accelerate without warning. The vehicle was not inspected for the failure. The contact stated that the failure would occur sporadically, at least three times per week. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 72,000.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

May 142011

Freestyle

Every time I put my vehicle in drive it accelerates and I have to immediately brake, its the same as going in reverse which is actually scary since it did this to me in a tight squeezed parking area and I almost hit another vehicle.

- Houston, TX, USA