2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 2 of 21)

Jul 272014

Freestyle

So I used to have problems with the RPM surge in my car then a customer satisfaction program (csp) came out and I had the throttle body deposits cleaned as per the csp12N03 in April of 2013. I have not had any issues until July 2014. Major issue- I was on the interstate on July 27th and my car began decelerating really quickly. The wrench light came on during this deceleration and I had to come to a stop in the V where cars are merging onto the interstate. I had to stop because my car slowed so drastically that I would have not made it to the shoulder of the road and would have gotten hit by another motorist. When I came to a stop my car was actually still running, I manually turned the car off. After I sat for a moment, I decided I would see if my car would crank. The car cranked and died and finally stayed cranked, I decided to try to move the car. The wrench light was no longer on and the car did exactly what a normal car would do. I was able to get up to speed and exit and drive the rest of the way home. I took it for diagnostics, the Ford dealership where I live say that it is the throttle body (the part that had a csp on it). I do not feel that I should have to pay 1000 dollars or more to have a faulty part replaced. Obviously something is wrong with this otherwise Ford would not have had the part cleaned. I would like for Ford to replace the part on my car and anyone else's vehicles that is having the throttle issues. Even though after some of the parts have been replaced, the issue starts again. I noticed that some of the investigations into Ford throttle issues include years 2009 and newer for that limp mode thing, however, my car is a 2007 and totally did the decelerating on the interstate. It was very frightening and I would like this issue to become a recall for a replacement. I called Ford and filed a complaint today, 9/15/2014.

- Crane Hill, AL, USA

Aug 012013

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. When the contact depressed the brake pedal, the vehicle would accelerate independently and cause the rpms to rev. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Cottageville, WV, USA

Feb 062014

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While driving 20 mph and approaching a stop, the contact depressed the brake pedal but the vehicle lunged forward and stalled. All of the warning indicators illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was able to be restarted after five seconds and resumed normal operation. The failure occurred regularly. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 58,500.

- Largo, FL, USA

Jul 162014

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 5 mph, the vehicle erroneously accelerated forward. On another occasion while driving various speeds, the vehicle would not accelerate over 35 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,914.

- Liberty, MO, USA

May 012014

Freestyle 6-cyl

The vehicle surges forward or backward -- has done for a while. Noticed a marked increase when running the ac when researching this - I also became aware that this has been an issue for many years with this vehicle as per previous NHTSA complaints. I will reference one PE11018.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Sep 072013

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would lunged forward. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who cleaned the throttle body housing and reset the computer but the failure recurred. Additionally, the contact stated that when driving the vehicle would decelerate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the throttle position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Farmington, MO, USA

Jun 262013

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have had my 2007 Ford Freestyle since 2008. This car has been a money pit. I have had to get a water pump, ac compressor, and throttle body, now it needs an expensive faulty transmission replaced called cvt transmission. The car is now parked for safety and to avoid further damage. The issue that I have experienced is while my foot completely on the break, the car has darted forward with out my ability to stop it. I have had this happen with people walking in front of me in the cross walk while at the stop light and my car has darted at them. Scary!! to say the least. I would not be surprised if anyone else has hit someone due to this problem. I don't drive the car anymore because it shut off on me while in traffic, unexpectedly, gratefully the person behind me was paying attention. I have fixed the ac compressor, throttle body, and water pump, I cannot possibly replace the transmission, I have 3 children and now without a car. I would not feel safe even after it is fixed. From reading other complaints this car is made faulty, and is going to fell me in some other expensive or dangerous way. To my knowledge Ford has discontinued making the Freestyle and is now making Taurus in its place. They should have recalled every single Ford Freestyle, this car is dangerous!!!!!!!!!!!! it has been made to fail, I hope Ford can restore my trust in them. I do not want any other Ford because of this.

- Charlotte , NC, USA

Jan 012012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that when shifting into drive, reverse or park, the transmission made a loud noise and caused the vehicle to jerk. The vehicle was taken to a transmission specialist, who performed a diagnostic and advised the contact that the cvt transmission was defective and would need to be replaced. The transmission was not replaced. Additionally, the vehicle abnormally accelerated several times. The throttle body was replaced and the failure was corrected. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 160,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 012014

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while traveling at various speeds, the malfunction indicator and engine lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic who stated that the throttle position sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000 and the current mileage was 105,134.

- Dover Plains , NY, USA

Mar 042014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Unexpected acceleration burst and some times I will be driving and the engine totally shuts off there is no check engine light on and Ford ran a diagnostic with no apparent problem.

- Middleboro, MA, USA

Mar 272014

Freestyle

Stopped at signal light, wrench light and engine light illuminated. When attempted to accelerate, vehicle RPM's moved erratically and vehicle would not drive above 35mph. Had vehicle towed to transmission shop and was told vehicle went into "fail safe mode" transmission is none repairable and needs to be replaced. Previously had car serviced under recall with throttle. One day prior, the car "surged/lunged" when put in reverse. Had recall done 12 months ago and just went over 12000 miles since work done.

- Keller, TX, USA

Nov 272013

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle independently surged while in idle. The failure caused the contact to crash into another vehicle. There were no injuries reported. The contact took her vehicle to dealer to be diagnosed. The dealer cleaned the throttle body under NHTSA action number: PE11018. However, the failure persisted. The manufacture was alerted to the failure and declined to repair the vehicle again under NHTSA action number: PE11018 again. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 87,000. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Feb 242014

Freestyle 6-cyl

My wife & I were visiting a friends house with my wife driving. She put the van into reverse to leave with her foot on the brake. It suddenly took off at a high rate of speed & would not stop even with both. Feet on the brake. We shot out the driveway at high speed & continued down the roadway until my wife lost control & crashed into a ditch; the only thing that stopped the van was hitting a large rock. This of course caused damage to the passenger side rear quarter panel. My wife suffered a small cut to her calf; I was uninjured. We were very lucky there were no other vehicles in the roadway at that time or it could have been very dangerous !! my wife is so shook up by this incident that she now refuses to drive her van.

- Magdalena, NM, USA

Jan 182014

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle will not operate over 1,000 RPM. It had the throttle body cleaned on 15 Aug 2013 under customer satisfaction recall 12N03. For the original complaint, the idling spiked where in this instance the car will not accelerate above 1,000 RPM. The codes associated with this incident are: P060B; P061B; P0122; P0155; P0222; P0316; P0480; P2104; P2110; P2122; P2127; P2132; P2135.

- Henry, IL, USA

Dec 022013

Freestyle 6-cyl

My car accelerates forward when I try to park it. This is very dangerous and lucky that it has only happened when I'm only going a couple of miles an hour as I am trying to park.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Feb 142011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While driving 55 mph, the contact stated that the vehicle began to surge and the rpms increased excessively which was displayed in the red markings. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the contact was informed that she needed a new throttle body. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Pennconning, MI, USA

Aug 012013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while at a complete stop, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The contact also mentioned that the vehicle intermittently stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the transmission needed to be replaced and the throttle needed to be flushed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage and VIN was not available....updated 12-24-13

- Wilson, NC, USA

Apr 072012

Freestyle

When you slow down to stop, vehicle sometimes lunged, or accelerates. When you back out of a parking spot, vehicle sometimes suddenly lunged or accelerates.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Oct 042013

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lunges back when reversing and lunges forward when stopped at a light and getting ready to accelerate. Odometer stopped working and ABS, brake and traction control lights came on.

- Sun Valley, NV, USA

May 082013

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while reversing out of a parking space, the vehicle lunged in reverse. The contact mentioned that the wrench, ABS, and check engine warning lamps illuminated and then the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 98,000 and the current mileage was 108,000. Updated 11/29/13

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA