2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 4 of 21)

Nov 052012

Freestyle 6-cyl

At 49,660 miles we had to have the throttle body changed because the car lunged forward and stalled out. On June 19, 2012 our 2007 Ford Freestyle was serviced with a transmission flush and fluid change, and a multi-point inspection. Everything looked good. On Nov. 5, 2012 it would rev up when driving and would not accelerate. After researching, we found out that the cvt transmission that was put in the 2005-2007 Ford Freestyle is a defective design that poses numerous safety concerns. Ford does not even make the transmission any more, so our only choice is to pay over $5000 for a used/rebuilt one that may have the same problems. Our car is only 5 years old. We have taken good care of it. We need a reliable vehicle and do not have the money to fix this. Please have Ford recall these faulty cvt transmissions and have more concern for safety and customer satisfaction.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

May 272012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was doing a 3 point turn at my public storage facility. My foot was not on the accelerator nor on the brake. I was in drive. Suddenly my car sort of sped up or lunged forward as if my foot were on the gas pedal. Luckily I was far enough away from the storage unit in front of me so that I was able to stop the car without incident. I thought maybe it was a fluke or my imagination. However, it has happened a few more times since then so I will be taking it in to have it checked. I also decided to check for recalls for this issue and found that other Freestyle owners were having similar incidents. I live in a high-rise with underground parking. Our parking is tight with cars on all sides. So I now spend a lot more time pulling in and out because I am afraid the car might lunge me right into one of my garage neighbors' cars. It does not happen at any regular frequency from what I can tell. However, it has happened in drive and reverse (both with my foot not on a pedal).

- Wood Dale, IL, USA

Apr 012012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When I put the car in drive it lunges forward and when you put it in reverse it lunges back. If your foot is not on the brake you can hurt someone. Its worse when the air conditioner is on.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Apr 012012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while shifting from park to drive, the vehicle erroneously accelerated. The vehicle was able to be driven to the dealer where it was determined that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the issue. The failure mileage was 51,000 and the current mileage was 53,126.

- Valley Stream, NY, USA

Oct 162012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While parked, the driver placed the vehicle in reverse when it suddenly accelerated backward and crashed into a telephone pole. The driver was not injured. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 153,000.

- Chester, CA, USA

Jun 202012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Low speeds forward or reverse, here in Florida hot humid environment, car accelerates faster than foot pedal response.

- Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Jun 022011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I purchased my 2007 ff Dec of 2010. Three months after purchase, I noticed mild acceleration sometimes without applying my foot to the pedal. It became progressively worse by mid June. So much so that I contacted drivetime where I purchased the car & they gave me some transmission shop to take it to, only be told that it was normal for that particular transmission. Well, by 2012, the uninitiated acceleration has become so bad that a few months ago my car accelerated on its own & ran slam into the back of a lady's car causing more than $2000 worth of damage. I tried to explain to police that my car accelerated abruptly without me doing anything but slightly lifting my foot from the brake (never touching the gas). He didn't give me a ticket but said it was still my fault. My kids call the car a transformer but it is the worse trying to keep it from plunging forward or backward & hitting something or someone! I have to make absolute sure no one is around when I am in shopping lots because I am afraid when the car takes off backwards from parking spaces. I usually have to slam on brakes but then the car shuts off &on comes the engine light. Something has to be done about this dangerous problem with the Ford Freestyle!!!

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jan 242011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I got this car on 04/2010 thought it would be good for the kids nope I have had nothing but problems in Jan /2011 the transmission went now 09/2012 same thing the car seemed like it was going to stall then lunged transmission again this is not a safe car !!!.. has been in shop as of 9/29/2012 tonight the auto shop called me and said the part is not in stock might be up till 3 weeks before they get it, wont pay for a rent a car for me & told me I could come get the car till the part comes in.... but cant tell me its safe for me & my kids to drive in ??something should be done asap !!!

- Quincy, MA, USA

May 052012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My foot was on the brake and I had the car in drive. The engine revved and the vehicle lunged. It has done so on multiple occasions since. It usually occurs when the air conditioner is running.

- Gibsonburg, OH, USA

Sep 012011

Freestyle

We have owned this car for just over a year. For several months now, we have been having problems with the car surging/lunging. It happens without any notice, and you have to slam on the brakes to stop it. Initially, I only noticed the problem when pulling into a parking space. The vehicle would lunge forward. In the last couple of months it has started lunging backward and forward, regardless of how fast I was going (pulling in, backing up, or driving down the highway at a steady speed.) once, the car lunged as I was backing up and hit another car. Minor damage. Not reported. It is starting to happen more often, and the car has also begun dying if it happens whole backing up. Turning the car off and restarting it solves that. I've had to start parking further back in spots because I don't want to hit the car in front of me. This has indirectly caused cosmetic damage (coming out of a store twice I've noticed scrapes that look like someone backed into me.) I don't understand how this can be such a widely reported and potentially dangerous problem without a recall or even acknowledgement of the issue (if you call Ford.) my car has lunged forward at red lights and stop signs toward oncoming traffic, as well as driveways with children nearby. It may only be a few feet, but even that can be deadly considering when the problem occurs most.

- Starkville, MS, USA

Aug 062012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When reversing out of and into various parking spaces, the vehicle lurches forward when I am not accelerating. I cannot detect a pattern but it has happened at least 6 times.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Aug 312011

Freestyle 6-cyl

On several occasions, my car has surged forward when I was moving at very low speeds when my foot was not on the accelerator. This seems to be worse when the air conditioner is running. On these occasions, the engine sometimes stalled and twice the wrench light came on. When the car was shut off and turned on again, the wrench light went off and the car started but it seemed to run a little rough. These incidents seem to happen months apart, but I have learned to turn off the A/C when driving at low speeds. This condition is especially dangerous when I am crawling through the line to pick up my grandchildren at school. On the last occasion both the wrench and the engine light came on. I took it to the dealer the next day. They diagnosed a computer wire problem (I think the computer analysis number is 19773) and a broken "anti-roll" mount. The cost will be $739.57 even though it is still under original warranty till October. From the comments I have been reading on the internet, this will still not fix the surging problem which I had never heard of before until a friend told me. My husband is a Ford retiree and until now we have been very pleased with our car. It only has 48,000 miles.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 262012

Freestyle 6-cyl

Incident 1: vehicle lunged forward during a low speed tight turn into a parking spot. Driver's right foot was on the brake, nothing was hit. Air conditioning was on. Unable to repeat. Incident 2: vehicle lunged backward while backing a small camping trailer into a driveway. Driver's right foot was on the brake, nothing was hit. Steering wheel was straight, air conditioning on. No damage. Unable to repeat.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Aug 042012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was going to pull out into a 4 lane road and was easing up to see better...out of nowhere the car begins to accelerating. Once I got out into the road the car just cut off and I had to quickly restart it to avoid being hit. Then I turned in to chic fil a and was in the drive thru line. It was a pretty long line so we would ease up ever few minutes. The car jumps and starts to accelerating and I stomp on the brakes. The car was accelerating so much that the force of the brakes stopping the car made my tires squeal.

- Madison, GA, USA

Aug 172011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while attempting to make a right turn the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnose that the electric throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 1,500 and the current mileage was 39,286...updated 09-21-12 the consumer stated the first time the vehicle accelerated, she had just made a right turn out of a business, and the vehicle just took off to the right and hit the curb. The dealer said nothing could be as there was no recall on the vehicle. As more miles was put on the vehicle, the sudden acceleration was happening more frequently. The dealer kept the vehicle for a week, but was unable to find a problem. Updated 09/25/12

- Big River , CA, USA

Jun 102011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would exhibit recurring unintended acceleration failures. The failure occurred when the air conditioning was running and when the contact was slowing decelerating to attempt a turn. The vehicle had not been inspected or repaired. The failure mileage was unknown, but the current mileage was 90,000. Updated 10/03/12 updated 10/05/2012

- Memphis, IN, USA

Aug 102011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated independently while the brakes were depressed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 69,000 and the current mileage was 82,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 032011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would abnormally lunge forward while driving at any speed. The failure would become worse when the air conditioning unit was activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that there were no failures found within the vehicle and offered no additional assistance. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 92,000.

- Merced, CA, USA

Aug 082012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The Freestyle will rev and surge forward or backwards when in gear and idle. This primarily occurs when the A/C unit is on. I have to apply the brakes until the car goes back to normal RPM. Typically this happens in parking lots or drive-thru lanes and has caused me several close calls for collisions. Sometimes after the surge happens, the wrench light on the dash comes on. I am not able to drive as the car feels underpowered and I cannot accelerate well. Turning off the car, waiting a bit, then restarting seems to reset it. Dealer says it's a known problem with the throttle body and there is no recall for the part and is very expensive to replace.

- Kent, WA, USA

Jul 042011

Freestyle 6-cyl

I have also experienced unexpected vehicle movement when my foot was not on the accelerator. My vehicle has moved as much as 1-2 feet when the brake was not applied or lightly applied. I describe the movement as a "lunge". also, as others have reported, , the lunging has occured when my foot was not on the accelerator and was either firmly on the brake pedal or lightly on the brake pedal. I have only noticed this condition while in "drive". lunges have been sudden and unexpected, and generally are of brief duration. The condition seems worse with the air-conditioning in operation and/or when the steering wheel is turned.

- Winthrop, ME, USA