2007 Ford Freestyle engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Freestyle:

2007 Ford Freestyle Owner Comments (Page 6 of 21)

Jun 122012

Freestyle 6-cyl

When I started backing up my car with the A/C on it start to lung and even shut off at times. I love to back in my parking space and this had never happened so this was a surprise to me. I pulled forward then cut the wheel and the moment I would put the car in reverse it would lung when my foot is on the breaks lightly. I was so frighten by this I took the car back to the oil change place today (7-11-12) to see if something was done wrong when they change the oil. Then I took it to the car to the mechanic on 7-11-12 too; which all he could do for me was flush the throttle to see it that can help the problem.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 162012

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic light, the vehicle accelerated on its own. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnosis. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were 62,000.

- Winston Salem , NC, USA

May 192010

Freestyle 6-cyl Diesel

Unintended acceleration when sitting at an idle and removing foot from brake.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Jul 122011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated the vehicle surged forward whether it was is in drive or reverse. The contact stated the failure had occurred for over a year. The contact was forced to put the vehicle in park while at a traffic light due to the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the throttle body was removed and cleaned. The dealer stated the throttle body did not need to be replaced. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was unknown. The current mileage was 75,923.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while attempting to park, he depressed the brake pedal and there was a rapid increase in the engine rpms. The vehicle also surged forward and backward during the failure. The failure continued once the brake pedal was released. The failure recurred consistently when the engine was idled and when the temperature was high. The vehicle was inspected by a mechanic, who stated that the failure was related to the throttle body. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 64,000.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 122011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact was traveling 3 mph in the reverse position and when the brakes were depressed, the vehicle accelerated unexpectantly and the engine stalled. The check engine warning light illuminated after the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 79,000 and the current mileage was 83,000.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Jun 012010

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that the vehicle would suddenly accelerate with the brake depressed, while reversing, when at a complete stop or when the air conditioner was activated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the air-conditioning power caused the vehicle to suddenly accelerate. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 77,773. The VIN was not available.

- Livonia , MI, USA

Jul 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

Vehicle lunges when stopped. Check engine light goes off and comes on. Vehicle losses all power. When vehicle restarts it operates okay for awhile and then problem repeats itself.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Nov 022011

Freestyle

There is an issue when going very slow or stopped where the car 'lunges' forward (or backwards in reverse) while the gas pedal is not being pressed. It happens worst when A/C is on and the steering wheel is turned. It has been getting progressively worse, and now I can duplicate it to where I have my foot on the brake pedal and it still moves about 6 inches forward with no way to stop it. The vehicle revs during this time and sometimes dies right after doing it as well. It seems to be something with the throttle body and is a defect with the car. I have found other used Freestyles at various dealerships and was able to get 2 of them to do this same thing.

- Eagle Mountain, UT, USA

Jan 082008

Freestyle 6-cyl

Our car was quite new. My daughters and I were in the car at a stop light. Someone was in front of me at the time and they were making a right hand turn. When I was slightly rolling forward I applied pressure to the brake and my car jumped or lunged forward-causing an accident with 4 kids and 2 adults involved. This is the first of many incidents with my car proactively moving.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 292012

Freestyle

Over the months, when driving the vehicle there were inconsistent occurrences of surging forward or backward at low speeds without accelerating. Typically this has occurred when parking or backing out of a parking spot/garage. It has increased lately and this past Friday, the vehicle surged greatly and then the engine stalled. This has happened after idling. The only "remedy" is shutting the vehicle down completely and then restarting.

- Scenery Hill, PA, USA

May 312012

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car first started when I had it on cruise control going down the highway at 70mph. I had the air conditioning on and the tach went to 4,000 rpms and the car shut off while going down the highway. The car when sitting idle will idle up and down. When put into reverse or drive the car jumps forward or backwards and you can barely stop it by pressing the brakes. Now when the car is put into reverse and your backing out of a parking space the car will lunge and then turn off.

- Little River, SC, USA

Dec 152011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph and merging onto the highway, the vehicle started hesitated without any warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 95,000.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jun 252012

Freestyle 6-cyl

I was pulling into a parking space when the car lunged and hit the concrete wall in front of me. It had been doing this mildly for a couple of days. During this event, the speed was unexpected and dangerous.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Freestyle 6-cyl

If you have your A/C on and leave your car idling for just a few minutes then when you put it in reverse or drive, it surges a few feet like 4 to 5 ft unless you really hold the brake down. It really seems to be getting worse as time goes on.

- Hempstead, TX, USA

Jul 152011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly lunged forward. The failure occurred while in reverse and while coming to a stop. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. There was an investigation open under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Edmond, OK, USA

Jul 132011

Freestyle

In July of 2011 we started experiencing lurching. When you press the brake to put the car into reverse or drive, the car lunges when letting off of the brake. Then the wrench light came on and lost all power. After turning the car off and then back on the light went away but not the lunging problem. We took it to the dealership where we bought the car and they did a computer update. It kind of fixed the problem. Now one year later in June of 2012 the car is lurching again, but worse than ever. While sitting in a drive through line, I released my foot off the brake and the car suddenly lunged forward. After reading the many reports online from other Ford Freestyle owners, this is not an isolated incident. And the there seems to be no fix for the problem. Dealerships are throwing parts at cars hoping to fix the problem but none seem to be working. While car owners are paying exorbitant fees to not have a problem fixed.

- Cedar Springs , MI, USA

Jun 262011

Freestyle

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Freestyle. While the contact was driving into parking space with her foot on the brake, the vehicle suddenly lunged forward. The contact continued to depress the brake pedal and was able to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. There was an investigation under NHTSA action number: PE11018 (vehicle speed control) that may be related to the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Jefferson City, TN, USA

Jun 222012

Freestyle 6-cyl

My 2007 Ford Freestyle has a cvt transmission problem. When I arrived at the hotel, the valet parking driver almost hit the car on the front because of sudden accelerator of the transmission. I also almost hit another car after that.

- Tujunga, CA, USA

Aug 242011

Freestyle 6-cyl

The car takes off even when in park. This has happened on more than one occasion. My husband or I can be sitting at a red light, stop sign, even in park in our driveway and the car will have a surge of going forward. This problem is extremely bad especially when we start the car or if we are idling with our foot on the brake. It is very scary. I reported this problem to my local Ford dealer. I was told there was not a problem.

- Lenoir City, TN, USA