2006 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Fusion:

2006 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Nov 142011

I bought the car in April of 2011 and the transmission was slipping a little. I had a mechanic, which was a previous Ford mechanic, told me Ford had a recall on the transmission for that type of car. I then called the dealership to have them check the VIN# to see if my car has the recall. The dealership said there was no recall. But as I researched it, I found out that there were other vehicles of the same make and model as mine and experiencing the same problem. I do not understand why my vehicle doesn't have any defect even though there are many others like this.

- Erwin, TN, USA

Mar 012012

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle violently jerked forward for a few moments. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Plainville, CT, USA

Jun 072011

I suffered the basic same complaints with the trans slipping out of gear after freeway driving and having it slam back into gear. It usually happens when I let off the throttle and need to re-accelerate. I have been lucky so far I usually can get it to re-engage in gear without causing any problems behind me. One time it locked into a high gear and I almost burned up the clutch because it would not downshift when I got off the freeway. I pulled over to the shoulder to figure out what to do and while I was stopped I turned off the motor. When I turned it back on approx 5 mins later it had reset itself and I was able to drive home fine. This is how my commute is basically every day now, it seems to happen more often in the afternoon commute when the weather is warmer. (on a side note if you get struck somewhere, allow the car sit for 5 mins with key off allowing it to reset and it might allow you to arrive somewhere safe).

- Poway, CA, USA

Feb 032012

Fusion 6-cyl

Transmission jumps at low speed sometimes, as if it was trying to go into the next gear but misses. It will grab all at once and it feels like the engine is going to jump out of the car. We now have a rumbling like a bearing is going out.

- Marysville , CA, USA

Jan 092012

Fusion 4-cyl

Transmission problems. Daughter was driving car and backing up from drive it popped and would not move in drive. It would reverse and drive slow at lower gear, but not drive in D. mechanic said gears are fine and not transmission, but confirmed may be sensor in transmission. From reading similar comlaints, it is widespread problem and a potential road hazard. Recalls have been done on same make and model, but from 2007 - current. Why isnt the 2006 covered" the auto mechanic has brought vehicle to 3 diff auto shops and problem is that it is a Mazda engine with german parts in a Ford car and not familiar with parts. Ford dealer was contacted and also Ford product complaint line. All they would say was there are no recalls for 2006 Ford Fusion. Why??" the auto shops insist on replacing entire transmission to warranty their work and charge $2500+ when all is needed is a part for less $.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

May 122010

Fusion 6-cyl

I have been having transmission problems with my car but the service light has never come on! I have also had the key stuck in the ignition! these problems are getting ridiculous and to have Ford not cover them is just not acceptable! the transmission is slipping, not shifting when it is supposed to, downshifting hard. Anytime I try to accelerate to pass, or speed up it bangs and jerks really hard I've almost driven off the road a few times because of how hard it bangs. It just keeps getting worse, to the point my kids ask me "mom, what was that"" this is a complete hazard to drive on the road cause you never know if or when it is going to happen. Let alone having my kids in the car! I have been almost rear-ended a couple of times because the transmission slips and won't go into gear, all it does is rev the engine and if you take your foot off the gas to try and get the RPM's to go down, you really slow down and could cause an accident! is this what Ford needs?! is for someone to get into a bad accident and get seriously injured or die in order to get this recalled"! this is happening to sooo many Ford Fusion and it is all over the internet with the exact same problems!! something needs to be done about this! there is no reason why they can recall the transmissions on the newer Ford Fusion but not the very first year it was out!! they know something is going on with these transmission, they just don't want to spend the money to fix them all and I find that absolutely ridiculous!! my kids should not have to ride in a car that could be the cause of an accident all because Ford doesn't want to acknowledge there is a serious problem! it's not fair that I paid 20K for this car and when it has about 60K miles on it for the transmission to start to mess up and they want me to pay for it!! this is giving Ford a bad name!!! I will never recommend a Ford to anyone ever!!!

- St Paul, MN, USA

Dec 012010

Fusion 6-cyl

The car started about 2 years ago, slipping out of gear when having to accelerate. It also slams into gear when down shifting. This is very dangerous, my wife was getting on the interstate and it slipped out of gear and she had to coast off of the highway because there was a tractor and trailer quickly approaching. We also cannot go up any big hills or mountains. We have had it at the dealership when it first happened and they changed the transmission fluid and updated the computer. This cost $500. They finally came to the conclusion that it needed a new transmission which would cost $4000. We still owe over $12,000 and do not have the $4000 to replace the transmission.

- Orrstown, PA, USA

Jun 012010

The transmission slips and jerks while driving. I bought the car brand new and have been keeping up with maintenance religiously.

- San Diego , CA, USA

Nov 082011

Fusion 6-cyl

2006 Ford Fusion sel V6 automatic transmission when trying to accelerate to enter the highway my car jerked violently when it slammed itself into gear it made a very loud noise when it shifted. I almost lost control of my vehicle. I took the car to a dealership to repair they said it was the throttle body and I have it replaced. Less than 30 minutes of leaving the dealership it did it again. I had the dealership pick up the car because of the defective transmission and now they agree it needs to be replaced. However, I did further research and I have found that many consumers have the same complaint as mine and their are many sights available. Why hasn't Ford recalled this transmission. To ad more salt in my wound my insurance company is choosing to use a used 2006 transmission from 2006 Ford Fusion sel with 48,000 miles on it and to top it off the car tat this transmission is coming from was T-boned and totaled thanks geico so now im not a the mercy or Ford but geico so now I have to get rid of my car because I am scared that his will occur again. If someone would just google Ford Fusion 2006 sel violently jerking.. you will see thousands of people having the same issue.

- Dunedin, FL, USA

Nov 042011

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle would jerk sporadically while in motion. In addition, the vehicle would loss power and stall without warning. The dealer diagnosed that the power tran control module was defective and needed repair. The manufacturer was notified, but told the contact that the VIN was not associated in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 52,000 and the current mileage was 52,082.

- Missouri City, TX, USA

Sep 212011

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on the on ramp to get on the interstate. When I went to accelerate the car jerked violently almost causing me to loose control of my vehicle. This continued until I could get of the highway. When coming to a stop and trying to accelerate to proceed forward the car continued jerking violently and now I am scared to drive my car. I contacted Ford no recall on this problem, then I did further research and I noticed that there was several complaints regarding this issue with this model. I could have been killed today as this is a dangerous defect. If you google Ford Fusion 2006 sel V6 jerking during acceleration you will see thousands of reports.

- Dunedin , FL, USA

May 052011

Early May 2011 I was driving home at 65mph and I lost 5th gear. Then 4th gear. On way to dealership I lost 3rd gear. Warranty covered a brand new transmission. They claim after a week they finally got the transmission in and installed but they were waiting on a part for it because the transmission came with a part for a Mazda 6 and wouldn't work. After two weeks they were finally done. Took vehicle back to dealership on 09/26/2011 stating great difficulty getting vehicle to shift out of park. Also stated there is an excessive amount of heat coming from the console in to the cabin above the transmission. Also stated the transmission is shifting very hard at times. Ford called today and stated the transmission has no problems at all and that I can't get out of park because the shift interlock sylionid needed to be replaced requiring that everything from the shifter and everything below all the way to the floorboard would have to be replaced costing over $400. I have found hundreds of complaints online

- Willow Park, TX, USA

Aug 242011

The contact owns a 2000 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle hesitated to shift into gear when she attempted to accelerate from a stop. The vehicle eventually jerked into gear and began to accelerate. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the contact was informed that the vehicle needed a new transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jan 212011

Fusion 6-cyl

Transmission problems on V6 six speed transmission. Hard shifting from 3rd to 4th gear (sometimes a very loud bang). Down shifts like a manual transmission when slowing down.

- Grover, MO, USA

Jul 162011

Transmission went completely out of gear when exiting the turnpike and entering the highway. The transmission had been slipping intermittently for months.

- Westlake, OH, USA

Apr 012011

The transmission in my vehicle started slipping at 60,000 miles. It will slip out of gear and slam violently back into gear making the vehicle hard to control. It does not happen all the time but it has been happening more often.there has been many complaints of this models transmission doing this in other vehicles.

- Whittier, CA, USA

Apr 082011

Transmission mishap, jumped out of gear while doing highway speeds resulting in near collision. Transmission downshifts extremely hard causing car to jump and have erratic shifting. Ford aware of problem, their recommendation is a new transmission resulting in a $4256 repair bill.

- Andersonville, TN, USA

Jun 012010

Fusion 4-cyl

2006 Ford Fusion. Consumer states that the transmission is not shifting correctly. Mechanic informed the consumer that there were tsb's out for this issue. The consumer stated after paying $3,408.45 for the replacement transmission, a few weeks later she started having the same problem again. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, where they concluded a defective valve body was installed in the vehicle during a previous visit.

- Kenilworth, NJ, USA

Dec 072010

Transmission would shift out of a gear, car would rev up to high, then transmission would shift violently back in jerking the car around feeling like you have been rear ended. The transmission will slam so hard into gear when trying to accelerate( I have had this experience accelerating at 45mph and at 65mph) engine light comes on stays on for a few days goes off problem comes back a few days later. Only solution when this happens is to pull over and shut the car off. Once car is turned back on the gear shifter (automatic) is very tight to put in reverse or drive.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jul 222010

I am unable to remove my key from my ignition unless I remove a piece of the shifter on my transmission.

- Erie, PA, USA