2006 Ford Fusion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Fusion:

2006 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

Ignition key is stuck in the ignition hole and cannot be removed.

- Nokomis, FL, USA

Jun 302013

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling down busy local highway about 45mph in late rush hour traffic. The car suddenly began to run very rough and then engine stalled. Check engine light came on. The car had to be maneuvered to the side of the road with no power on very busy highway. There were a couple close calls but no accident thankfully. The car was towed to a local dealer. The dealer indicates the power train controller module (PCM) unit failed. This seems to be very common failure on these cars and it can be dangerous.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

May 012013

Car engine started sounding rough and when I stepped on gas nothing happened and car would not pick up speed. It would not go more than 20 miles per hour. The wrench light up in the car showing a problem.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Apr 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

Front turn signals or hazard lights inoperative. Rears working O.K. the interior directional indicators on the dashboard show that the turn signals were working and no bulbs malfunctioning. Both front signal bulbs were replaced. The problem continued. There is no way from the interior of the vehicle to know that the signals or hazards are not working properly. The vehicle was taken to the Ford dealer and it was diagnosed as an internal fault in the smart junction box. Cost of repair was $617.11. Research has shown this to be a problem in all models of Ford vehicles recently.

- Berea, OH, USA

Jan 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

Front turn signal has stopped working. Bulb is good, fuse is good, wires are good. Mechanic says it is smart junction box.

- Neenah, WI, USA

Oct 252012

I was driving home from work, in the rain, when I got the dashboard message that my rf turn signal was out. Drove the rest of the way home and turned off the ignition and the lf parking light stayed on. Checked the bulbs and fuses and all were fine. Did some research online and found out about similar issues with the smart junction box. One suggestion was to disconnect the battery to see if it reset. Tried that with no success. We reconnected the battery the next morning and parking light came back on. Had to remove the bulb so I now had no front turn signals. Brought it in to the dealership, assuming the worst after my online research, and got the news it was the sjb to the tune of $700. I was told it wasn't under recall because it's not a safety issue. Having working lights and turn signals would seem to qualify as a safety issue to me?

- Hugo, MN, USA

Aug 142012

Fusion 6-cyl

On Tuesday, August 14 I was making my way to work and merging on to a busy road when my car stopped move, there was no warning, no check engine light, nothing. I pushed the gas, but wouldn't move. By some miracle the car behind me did not hit me and I was able to get to the side of the highway. Once there, my check engine light began to flash. Once I was able to get the car to a shop, it was determined it fell under tsb 11-8-2. the fix for this, a new PCM, 6 coils, 6 spark plugs, valve cover gasket, tube seals and an air filter element, not to mention a tow to the local Ford dealer toload the new PCM. PCM's in 2006-2008 Ford Fusion, 2008 Ford Taurus, 2007-2008 Ford edge, 2006 Lincoln zephyr 2007-2008 Lincoln mkz, mkx and Mercury 2006-2008 Milan and 2008 Sable are faulty and Ford knows it!

- Elkton, MD, USA

Aug 072012

Fusion 6-cyl

Ac / climate control evaporator temperature sensor (eatc) fails to register set temperature causing loss of compressor operation for the purpose of defogging the windshield creating a visibility hazard, as well as the inability to cool the passenger compartment. System blows only warm / hot air, fogging the windshield and creating a visibility hazard.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Jul 172012

Fusion 4-cyl

I have started having problems like everyone else is describing with my 2006 Ford Fusion. I have owned my car for 2 months. I get home from work & go to get out of the car & the key will not come out of the ignition. From reading the other complaints on here I figured out it has something to do with the shifter button. Something is breaking on/in the shifter button & it's not allowing the car to think it has been put in park, thus not allowing the key to come out of the ignition. You have to mess with the silver shifter button & if you can find it's happy spot you will be able to get the key out. I just can't believe that Ford made this car with such crappy plastic parts!! I'm starting to wish I wouldn't have bought this car. The silver is peeling off of the inside door handles also! this car is in excellent condition & has not been treated rough, so I don't know why it's starting to fall apart. Ford needs to recall these issues with the 2006 Ford Fusion's!! I will never buy another Ford vehicle after this.

- New Whiteland, IN, USA

Mar 012008

Bought the car used with approx. 45,000 miles on it from Ford dealership. Within a week I was back at the Ford dealership I bought it at. The car would not accelerate, stuck in gear, jerk violently. They gave me a loaner car to drive, another 06 Ford Fusion. They told me there was nothing wrong with the car and it was the way I drive. I told them I didn't have any problems with the loaner car or any other car I've ever driven or owned. They insisted I was wrong. Over the next month I brought the car back to the dealership and encountered the same resistance. The problem got progressively worse and dangerous to drive to the point where I would be going 60+ mph on a highway and the car went into neutral. The transmission completely failed in 2010, at that time I had it replaced, costing $3,000. May 31, 2012 - approx 65,000 miles. Similar problems again. Car would not accelerate, very hesitant, entire car shakes violently while driving. Check engine like came on. I took the car to my mechanic, he tested and determined three coils went bad. Looked in the car and discovered the coils had actually melted. With research, determined the computer system had failed. Coils and computer system need to be replaced. Approx cost (so far) - $1500.

- Pennsauken, NJ, USA

Jun 032012

Fusion 4-cyl

Cruise control started malfunctioning. I have five controls for my cruise control. The resume cruise just stopped working. The +set button which is suppose to set cruise or speed it up now resumes cruise. The - set now sets the cruise and speeds the car up and not the on and off are only working sometimes. This is a real safety issue because myself of someone else could his the - set button trying to slow our vehicle down and instead of slowing down the car speeds up.

- Mount Washington, KY, USA

May 262009

Fusion 6-cyl

2006 Fusion sel. 1) ignition key gets stuck in ignition. Approximately 9 incidents beginning May 2009 of parking the car, turning off the motor, key cannot be removed from ignition: 3-4 times the key could not be removed for over 48 hours; 4 - 5 times within 12 hours.. car can be locked if using the second remote-control key, but will unlock all doors with in 5 seconds when lock on the inside door is pushed and door is closed. Have had the alarm go off 3 times when car door is opened after car left unattended for 15+ minutes, unlocked, with key stuck in ignition, but alarm has not sounded at all times for the same scenario. 2) chrome veneer on interior front door handles wrinkling and peeling. Problem was beginning to show it self when car was purchased.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 082012

The car went into "limp" mode for no reason. Vehicle would not go faster then 20mph. This cold of caused an accident. Took to local shop and was told a sensor in the electronic throttle body was bad and therefore could not read throttle position accurately, sending the car into "limp" mode. New throttle body cost $600. If this would of happened at highway speeds this would of been a serious safety issue due to not being able to control vehicle speed without any notice.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

Mar 162012

The turn signals and high beams no longer work during operation. All fuses and relays were checked and all fine. The parking lights do work when head lamps are on, work when hazards are turned on, and also flash when locked with key fob. But when using turn signal stalk nothing happens and therefore can not signal to turn or change lanes. Also high beams do not activate in any position of the signal stalk. The sjb is the source of the problem.

- Northglenn, CO, USA

May 052011

Early May 2011 I was driving home at 65mph and I lost 5th gear. Then 4th gear. On way to dealership I lost 3rd gear. Warranty covered a brand new transmission. They claim after a week they finally got the transmission in and installed but they were waiting on a part for it because the transmission came with a part for a Mazda 6 and wouldn't work. After two weeks they were finally done. Took vehicle back to dealership on 09/26/2011 stating great difficulty getting vehicle to shift out of park. Also stated there is an excessive amount of heat coming from the console in to the cabin above the transmission. Also stated the transmission is shifting very hard at times. Ford called today and stated the transmission has no problems at all and that I can't get out of park because the shift interlock sylionid needed to be replaced requiring that everything from the shifter and everything below all the way to the floorboard would have to be replaced costing over $400. I have found hundreds of complaints online

- Willow Park, TX, USA

Jun 012010

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator was depressed. The failure caused another vehicle to crash into the contact's vehicle. The vehicle was taken to both the dealer and a private repair shop where the repair shop confirmed that the throttle malfunctioned and a calibration was needed for the electrical system software. The manufacturer was contacted, but the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 72,000 and the current mileage was 100,000. Kmj

- Petal, MS, USA

Aug 302011

I too have a 2006 Ford Fusion SE with a smartbox malfunction. My driver's side directional signal doesn't work. My mechanic said he checked all the wires lending to the box and they are fine, it's the box. It will cost around $600 to replace. Ford no longer makes this part, so he has to search junkyards for it. He can't reroute the wires because the directional signal in the back is located in the place where he would reroute it. I now have a vehicle that will not pass inspection, that I can't drive "safely" and if the part is found I will have to take out a loan just to pay to get fixed. Why!

- Doswell, VA, USA

May 082011

I owned a 2006 Ford Fusion, this car caught on fire at 4am. It was ruled as an electrical fire. There were no problems leading up to this fire.

- Spring , TX, USA

Jul 212011

Since I bought the car in spring of 06, bulbs need to be replaced quite frequently. When I change them, the old bulb looks black and burnt. A few days ago, I was driving and my front, right directional stopped working. I replaced the bulb, thinking that was the issue again, but it wasn't. I took it to the dealership and they said the smart junction box needed to be replaced because it shorted out internally. Estimate is $600 after I had to pay $100 just to find the problem. That seems like an expensive fix for one directional. I can't afford that right now, so I can't fix it. Seems ridiculous. Car has 85,000 miles on it.

- Morrisville, VT, USA

Jul 012011

Front driver's side indicator/hazard light not working. Left rear driver side works. Consensus is either a smart junction box or headlight harness. Cost of repairs around $600 not including labor. Very costly for one turn signal. Big mistake on Ford's part.

- Bluefield, WV, USA