2006 Ford Fusion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Fusion:

2006 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 222016

Fusion

The rear tail light socket and bulb are charred black as if they caught fire. I found the issue because the signal light failed. It smelled burnt. Unsure if there was actual flame or not.

- Van Nuys, CA, USA

Oct 132016

Fusion

I was driving home from work, when both of my front turn signals went out. My dash indicated to check lf turn lamp and check rf turn lamp. I stopped at the store to purchase new bulbs, thinking the bulbs were bad. I got home, and noticed that the left front parking lamp was on. I shut the car off, and the light remained on. I had to disconnect the light, otherwise it would have drained my battery. I had no front working turn signals and no working hazards in the front. The back signals and hazards work fine, but blink fast.

- New Richmond, WI, USA

Sep 112016

Fusion

Driving on the highway at 80 mph the car looses acceleration power and an orange wrench symbol shows up on the dashboard. I have to safely coast my vehicle to a safe spot off the road. When car comes to complete stop it idles really rough and loud and makes a loud noise when placed into park. I have to shut car off then restart and I'm able to continue driving as if nothing ever happened. The problem keeps happening and is starting to occur more often but always while driving on the highway...pray to god nothing serious ever happens.

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Jun 232016

Fusion

Driving both highway and city streets. While driving to work my turn left signal began to flash faster indicating a burned out bulb when the right turn signal started flashing faster. After work I could not unlock my car and had to have security unlock my car only to find my battery was dead. Security then jumped started the car, I drove off to battle my thru rush hour with out turn signals. The next morning the car battery was dead again, after getting it started I noticed the right front turn signal bulb stayed on even when the car was turned off, until battery was drained. I took it to my mechanic he said the smart box would need to be replaced and programed, and cost about $850! I went to pickup the vehicle had trouble unlocking the door again this time the battery was dead again and needed to be replaced.

- Acworth, GA, USA

Feb 042016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 45 mph, the vehicle accelerated and decelerated independently as the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the ECM failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 121,759.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012015

Fusion

While driving my Fusion on 11/1/15, both front turn signals stopped working when attempting to make a turn onto an interstate. The dash indicated a warning that the left and right front turn signal lamp was not working when the signal was activated by the switch. I assumed a bulb had burnt out. However, once my car was turned completely off, the left front bulb remained on, despite no one being in the car. The light remained on for multiple hours before I became aware of it once I returned to my vehicle. During this time, it was draining the battery. I the. Had to drive my car on city streets and the interstate to get home. I tried purchasing new bulbs, but found that both bulbs currently in the car worked fine. No wiring was loose or frayed. Later that week, I brought it to a mechanic who diagnosed it as a failed smart junction box that has led to the turn signal not working. I contacted my local dealership in accordance with my mechanic's suggestion. I was informed there is no recall on this part. How is there no recall when this is clearly a safety issue? malfunctioning turn signals while driving with no direct cause is a problem. Especially when it leads to a light remaining on leading to killing the car battery. According to the dealership, the only solution is purchasing a new junction box from them (no local parts stores can even find one in their inventory) and have it installed and programmed by them.

- Edgewood, KY, USA

Sep 062015

Fusion

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at 5 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The dealer stated a remote starter that was previously installed burned a fuse. The fuse was replaced, but the turn signals failed. The dealer stated that the smart box needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,000. The VIN was not available.

- Sigourney, IA, USA

Oct 102014

Fusion

Car would cut off at any time, and cut off several times while in motion.. had to be towed twice and finally on 10/1/14 took it to a Ford dealership and they repaired it at a cost to me of $1,462.98. Since the Focus has a recall I wonder if this should also have a recall.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

May 022015

Fusion 6-cyl

After parking my car outside my house, I opened my door and the handle short circuited and exploded blowing out a piece of the door handle off exposing the the handles springs and wiring.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Apr 142015

Fusion

Car dies whilst driving. This is a safety issue. Authorized Ford dealer service determined issue was caused by a defective throttle body.

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Apr 092015

Fusion

My back door lock on my driver side stopped automatically locking and unlocking unless I do it manually. It wasn't a huge issue since I don't have a lot of people in my backseat. Last night, when I got home from work, I reached to open my door and nothing happened. I thought I was tired enough to be mistaken, but it happened. My door will now only open from the outside. The lock still locks and unlocks automatically when I use the button, but I have to roll down my window to get out. This can be hazardous if someone is locked in the car during a wreck, fire, gas leak, etc.

- Conway, AR, USA

Jul 012014

Fusion 6-cyl

My brake lights and rear blinkers are no longer working. One day they just went out. Of course I took it to my mechanic right away since it is extremely dangerous driving at night with no brake lights and I had recently enrolled into night classes for my fall semester. I left my car with my mechanic for nearly a week because he thought the switch needed to be replaced. He ordered a new one, but when it arrived he called to tell me that it wasn't what he thought it was. He let me keep the new switch free of charge since he wasn't able to help me at all. I had to walk to the shop to pick up my car because my mechanic was just as baffled as I was. Since someone who went to school for this kind of stuff couldn't help me, I figured I would google the issue to see if there were any answers out there. I found websites full of people having similar issues. ( www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Fusion/2006/lights/turn_signals_do_not_work.shtml ; www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/4304-parklampsturn-signal-issues/ )

- Conway, AR, USA

Jan 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

The power locks, and interior door handles to open the door in both the front and rear/driver and passenger sides malfunction regardless of use/force. The interior door handle warps/bends and breaks. The locking mechanism also malfunctions making it impossible to open the door from the interior. In only way to exit the vehicle is to roll down the window and open the door from the outside door handle. Once the locking mechanism has malfunctioned, it is impossible to lock the vehicle via the remote alarm or with the physical key. This presents a major problem as 1:in the event that the driver and or passengers need to exit the vehicle it is impossible unless windows are rolled down. 1B: in the event that a crash or windows malfunction, all occupants are trapped in vehicle 2:the vehicle is without passive anti-theft as the doors are unable to lock.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Aug 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

Right directional signal didn't work.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Jul 162014

Fusion 6-cyl

The factory ignition coils began to short against the interior walls of the engine head above the spark plugs. As they shorted it burn the power control module (PCM). With no PCM my spark plugs failed to light, causing my engine become flooded with gasoline, which washed away the lubricants on my cylinder and heads causing all of my cylinders and heads to become damaged. As this happened before I was able to pull over my engine shut off. Causing me to lose power steering and all of the other electrical functioning components. Luckily I was on a fairly quiet road and at somewhat low speeds, but for the many others that have or could experience the same problem might not have been or be as lucky. 2006 Ford Fusion 3.0L V6.

- Kingman , AZ, USA

Jul 012008

Fusion

Motor mounts: All three mounts have been replaced. 6 total. One has been replaced twice. One three times. Electric door locks & window regulators: Front driver and rear right passenger have failed. Driver floor mat: Slides.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

May 272014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling 60 mph, smoke entered the vehicle from the front panel vents underneath the hood. The contact stated that the engine warning light illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle began to stall intermittently. The failure occurred on three separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power control module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 124,000 and the current mileage 124,030. Updated 08/19/14

- Ripley, TN, USA

Dec 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

I have had problems with it since I bought it, it has problems starting especially when its cold outside. Driver heated seat caught fire and melted my seat, now my heated seat doesn't work and seat is ruined. Transmission is poorly made and unsafe. While driving it has problems shifting, shoots the rpms all the way up. The car sounds like its going to blow up. Does it mostly when showing down and speeding up. Not the only person having issues, Ford needs to stop being so cheap and recall the 2006 repairpal.com/transmission-problem-242.

- Batesville, IN, USA

May 152014

Fusion

I am the original owner of a 2006 Ford Fusion with only 65000 miles. I recently had a very scary near death experience due to a defect in this vehicle. After much research online and speaking to certified mechanics I am sure Ford is well aware of the problem that exists with the ignition coils exploding due to a computer malfunction. This causes the car to stop. My car happened to stop while I was on the freeway. I won't go into a lot of detail but it was scary and could have potentially cost me my life. Fortunately I was able to safely coast to the shoulder and wait for aaa to come to my rescue. I took my car to a mechanic who got the car running again after replacing two ignition coils and my spark plugs, but it broke down again on the way home from the mechanic. Again, the car just shuts off without warning, but this time I was left in the middle of traffic waiting for aaa. My car is now at the Ford dealership and the bill is really high. Both, my mechanic and the Ford service technician confirmed that there is an issue with the computer that is causing ignition coils to "burn up" or "explode". I understand that there is an 8 year or 80,000 mile warranty with covers this issue, but unfortunately I am over the 8 years (but still 15,000 under the mileage). This should be a recall. Someone could potentially lose their life because Ford chooses to overlook this ticking time bomb. I am now having to spend $2200 to repair this issue when Ford should be the one covering the cost to make it right.

- Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Oct 012012

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled as the traction control warning light illuminated. The contact coasted onto the shoulder and was able to restart the engine and resume normally. The dealer performed a diagnostic which located the failure at the throttle. The vehicle was repaired. The computer system and the throttle body was replaced. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,189 and the current mileage was 97,000.

- Belleville , IL, USA