2007 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Fusion:

2007 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 122007

Fusion

Takata recall: I purchased my Ford Fusion in 2007 and I received awesome comments; this was the ratings from my older family members, bragging about my car; as being "top of the line vehicle" sounded great! within my first year, on a Saturday my car would not start, before going to work, it was corrosion on my battery post. The following Monday, I contacted hixon Ford service dept. In monroe, la; told them of my experience and was told that they have not heard of any problems. I was given a free battery, without anyone looking into why the car wouldn't start or corrosion on the battery. I didn't think I would have been treated in that manner throughout the time I have my car. Since then, several other problems, such as the rubber around the dash vent, where the defrost air comes out, lifted up out of place. One day the 6-cd changer would not release my cds'; but months later after pressing the button everyday, I pressed the reject and they all came out. Another experience was when the two front door latches just popped out; at a later time, the two back latches popped out. Since I could only afford to get the driver door latch repaired, I would still lock my car door, but they do not lock. Another incident happened when I tried to slow down, because of the bumpy road and my car felt like it hydroplaned; I couldn't stop (scaaarrryy!). after each incident, I would call hixon Ford and ask for recall status, concerning my incidents. They would always tell me, they have not heard anything, but when I called the main office, I was told that nothing had been reported. I never felt they cared what happened to me, because they didn't look into the first incident, but years later, I received an apology; give them another chance with my next purchase and they can't do anything now. Well, they never did anything and I would have been very surprised if they did.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jan 092016

Fusion

Our Ford Fusion suddenly lost power and starting acting in an unpredictable fashion, while traveling on rte 95 North in the passing lane. We narrowly avoided a rear end collision with the vehicle behind us, as well as other vehicles as we worked to get over to the safety of the breakdown lane. An orange wrench light was in an "on" state and the car was running very rough. After checking all gauges and fluids, I restarted the car and found it to be in a normal state again, with no wrench light visible. We turned around and headed home. This condition occurred one more time about 45 miles later, just a few miles from our home, same result. I researched the issue and found that the NHTSA is aware of this problem and has been asked to fix over 1 million cars exhibiting the same issue. I contacted Ford, as recommended in a report I discovered online. Their response was that, while they were aware of the issue and the problems it causes, our 2007 Fusion was not covered and we are responsible for the repairs. This issue just occurred today, therefore I have no documentation, other than what is available on many websites and blogs, documented by other Ford owners, complaining of the same issue. Am I to understand that of the million plus cars having this problem, some will be corrected, while for some reason that Ford could not explain, some are not?

- Sandwich, MA, USA

Sep 152014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. While driving various speeds with the accelerator pedal depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The throttle body warning light illuminated. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electric throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Port Hueneme, CA, USA

Nov 232014

Fusion

I was driving at about 60 mph and suddenly I felt the vehicle have some type of loss of power. I tried to press on the gas pedal and the car would not accelerate and the RPM odometer was "jumping" from 1 to 1.5 and the idle was horribly rough.the motor sounded like it was a forced idle. I pulled to the side of the road and opened the hood to see what was going on, I checked everything to see if maybe there was anything loose or something in there and there was nothing that I could see spot on or notice spot on. I did some research on the 'symptoms" and cleaning or forcing shut the throttle actuator was the number one thing that kept showing. So I pulled everything apart and cleaned it and sprayed some wd-40. Once I out everything back together I then started the vehicle and the wrench light turned off and it was running like normal.

- Azle, TX, USA

Feb 252011

Fusion

The contact owns 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the floor mat shifted to the brake pedal and caused the contact to crash. The vehicle was destroyed and a police report was filed. Injuries were sustained and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Feb 252011

Fusion

The contact owns 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the floor mat shifted to the brake pedal and caused the contact to crash. The vehicle was totaled and a police report was filed. Injuries were sustained and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 64,000.

- Shirley, NY, USA

Jul 152014

Fusion 6-cyl

Wrench light flashes on the dash as the car slows to 20 mpr or less, gas pedal to the floor and it wont go. I shut the car off and turn it back on it runs until it slows down again another 20-30 miles. This year should've been recalled as the 2009-2012 models.

- Windsor , KY, USA

May 072014

Fusion 6-cyl

Upon driving the speed became erratic and the car slowed down very quickly requiring me to pullover quickly for fear of a rear end collision. At that time I saw the wrench light on my dash. I feel that is a hazard that should be corrected under the warranty or as a recall from Ford company. The wait for parts is almost a month, Ford should give a loaner car as I am afraid to drive my car in traffic. Thank you

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

May 112014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving to houston from san antonio on I10 and going the speed limit. Shortly after starting my drive I was shocked by a slight jerk and a "wrench" symbol appear. I was in the center lane and hardly had any acceleration to move off the road. Eventually, I was able to get to the side of the highway, turn off my car and turn it back on. It allowed me to drive about 5 min before happening again. I ended up pulling of the road 8 times until I just decided to call aaa and pay additional fees to tow my car into houston. It was scary and def. A safety hazard for anyone experiencing this malfunction. I took the car to get a diagnostic and sure enough it's a throttle body failure. I drove today with no issues, but I am sure it will occur again very soon. Ford really needs to recall and think about their customer's safety.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 142014

Fusion

Went to pass a slow moving vehicle and when gas pedal was pressed the vehicle responded with no power, shuddered, and stalled. Had towed to a local trusted mechanic who was unable to diagnose a specific problem because the he was getting "crazy problem codes". vehicle was towed to a Ford dealer who discovered the coils were destroyed due to a PCM failure. Coils and PCM replaced at the cost of $2,200. Driving home after vehicle was "repaired" check engine light came on. Took vehicle back to dealership, diagnosed a catalytic converter failure. Catalytic converter failed due to the PCM/coil failure. Vehicle will not pass emissions inspection until converter is repaired/replaced at an additional cost of $2,000+. dealership indicated that nothing could have been done to prevent the PCM/coil failed, it "just happened". basic research shows that this happens with enough frequency that Ford must be aware of the problem. Vehicle 2007 Ford Fusion V6 AWD.

- Ambler, PA, USA

Dec 112013

Fusion

I was driving to work on December 11, 2013 down rte 3A at approximately 8am. When I took a left onto westford rd., and accelerated up the hill the vehicle suddenly cut out to the point it would not go any further. I almost was hit from a car from behind me who also was accelerating up the hill, but fortunately he swerved around me in time. I called triple aaa and they towed it to palmer''s automotive. According to the mechanic, the diagnostic showed one of the coil packs malfunctioned.. upon replacement, the coil pack overheated and blew again. Finding it odd, the mechanic contacted Ford. Working with the Ford technician, a bulletin was found stating the car had a known issue with the PCM, the computer module for the vehicle. Ford told the mechanic, the part would be there in 2 weeks. 2 weeks went by and on christmas eve, our mechanic was told there is a national back order on the part and it would be 2 to 4 more weeks. Also, the repair would cost in the vicinity of $1700 dollars. It is now 1/12/14 and we still have no car and no word on when it will be fixed. Ford''s recent ads infuriate me on tv about their reliability etc compared to other brands. The warrantee expired at 80K miles and this car has 84K on it. We are still making payments on a car that is inoperable for the past 6 weeks, as well as facing a huge repair bill, which adds insult to injury. Most importantly, I think about what may have happened if I had decided to take the highway instead of rte 3A to work that day, the results may have been tragic.

- Lowell, MA, USA

Dec 132013

Fusion 6-cyl

Throttle body I was sitting at a stop light and when the light went green I pressed the accelerator and my steering column began to shake and my car would not accelerate past 20 miles per hour. I was terrified because all the other cars took off and I could barely move. The car shook like it was going to fall apart. After barely coasting into a nearby Ford dealership the informed me that it was the throttle body. I replaced the part and it cost me $600.

- Hillsborough, NC, USA

Oct 202013

Fusion 6-cyl

While L was driving on wet pavement with the speed control engaged and set to 35 mph, I rounded the top of a hill and the vehicle began to speed up as usual. I applied the brakes lightly to maintain 35 mph and the speed control failed to disengage and spun the left front tire until black smoke was rolling out from under the fender. It lasted a few seconds before it released. I had a Ford dealer check the brakes to see if the left front caliper had a problem and they did not find a problem. They also had no solution for the speed control failing to disengage. Note: The daytime phone is useless since I am assigned to another building at work away from the phone on my desk. Updated 01/28/14 I contacted Ford once again after the third throttle problem. The third time involved the speed control burning rubber on a wet road after I applied the brakes to maintain speed going down hill with the speed control set for 35. Their response was to ignore the problem as usual. They didn't do anything for any of my complaints even when the car was under warranty. The dealer would not ever replace a broken plastic door handle in the inside until it broke off completely. After they replace it with another plastic handle the spring cut through the plastic again, but I realized that the piece of plastic the broke off was still in the recessed area for the handle and would have caused it to break off completely again if I had not removed it. The chrome also pealed off and cut my fingers again so I scraped it off the top of the handle. They still haven't changed the design of that. For over $21,000 that I paid for the car, they could have at least made one out of aluminum.

- Cedar Rapids, IA, USA

Oct 172012

Fusion

Driving along a four lane highway at approximately 60mph when suddenly the vehicle stopped accelerating, I had to put it in neutral, letting it coast, turn the engine off and quickly back on. It allowed me to continue normally after that. However this problem has been occurring intermittently ever since. When it gets really bad, it will repeat the problem anywhere from 5-10 minutes after I turn it and back on and the traction control and maintenance lights will come on. After awhile the check engine light will come and stay on for a couple of days. Had a diagnostics run on it while the check engine light was on and it indicated that the throttle control system was malfunctioning. Ford wants over $600 for parts and labor to fix the problem which I think is ridiculous considering how many others are having the same problem. Will be contacting the regional sales manager regarding this.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Aug 032013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving 60-70 mph down an interstate and car loses total acceleration control. You can put the gas to the floor and nothing happens. RPM doesn't move and no acceleration. Have to coast off the interstate. Thought it was the gas, put new gas in the car. Went to tn on Friday had to "coast" over to the shoulder 3 times. Came home yesterday had to pull over 6 times for the same problem. Scary scary scary!!!!! will not drive my car again until the problem is fixed.

- Lawrencevilee, GA, USA

May 052013

Fusion 6-cyl

Doing approx. 55 mph when vehicle suddenly decelerated. Coasted into a parking lot. Turned car off, waited and restarted it. It ran fine after that but I took it to the Ford dealer who said it needed a throttle body replacement at a significant cost to me. Since I was on a highway in traffic at the time of this incident it could have caused an accident. The dealer told me that other vehicles were experiencing the same issue with deceleration. I feel that Ford knows about this problem and should issue a recall.

- Barhamsville, VA, USA

Aug 062013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph the vehicle suddenly decelerated. The contact turned the vehicle off and was able to drive without the failure recurring. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic stated the throttle body assembly would had to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 65,627.

- Willis, TX, USA

Jul 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

My husband was driving and the gas pedal stuck he went thru 2 red lights almost hit a car pulled the E brakes stepped on the brake pedal put it in neutral hit the gas pedal to get it to unstick and nothing but it finally stopped. We just bought the car 2 weeks ago. We have 30 day warranty and extended. The dealer had it towed to a mechanic they hooked it up to there diagnostic machine and nothing came up so they took it to Ford and nothing came up on there machine and test drove it and nothing happened. Now they wont do anything because this "machine" says nothing they didn't even take it apart. So I have a disabled husband a 4 year old and 2 month old that I have to drive in this car. It is unsafe. What if it happens again and we really get hurt. I just want it fixed its a safety issue now. Its like no one believes us. We are not trying to get rid of the car besides this we love the car. It took us a long time to find this car. But its unsafe we just want it fixed and replaced please help.

- Kingman, AZ, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down my side street (25mph residential road) when the engine began to lag. It eventually stalled to where I pulled to the side of the street. Vehicle turned off and would not start. It would turnover but would began to idle erratically and would shut off within 5-15 seconds. I tried a few trouble shooting techniques but eventually gave up and took it to an auto shop. They connected the code reader and found 3 different faults with the throttle body assembly. I was told that these are on back order until June 18th.

- Garden City, MI, USA

Mar 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle stalled without any warning. The contact pulled over and after restarting the vehicle the acceleration became sluggish. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis but the cause of the failure was undetermined. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were approximately 105,364.

- Atlanta, GA, USA