2008 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Fusion:

2008 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Feb 082016

The first time this happened I was sliding into traffic due to icy conditions. After hitting the brakes hard and engaging the ABS system the brakes became spongey and went to the floor. This happened again after having to hit the brakes hard again and this time we were on an interstate. My mechanic has replaced the master cylinder, brakes, and adjusted them. After this happening several times my mechanic researched it to find the the ABS modules on this model are faulty. This has happened 4 times in the last year. This is a very dangerous and expensive defect on this automobile. After searching online I have read several complaints with this model and the same defect has been noted.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Feb 052016

ABS activated when slowing for a right hand turn on wet roads then brake pedal went to the floor and got very soft. Car would not slow down, had to pull out of traffic lanes. ABS indicator came on. After restarting car brakes recovered to normal however ABS indicator comes on intermittently.

- Post Falls, ID, USA

Feb 012016

Approaching a stop sign on a morning with some ice on the roads, the ABS engaged and the brake pedal went to the floor. All subsequent braking attempts result in the pedal going down to the floor and increased stopping distance. This has happened multiple times over the years with this car. Different components have been replaced but never solved the problem. It typically goes away on its own eventually. Doesn't feel like a safe situation.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Jan 232016

Once the ABS applied brake pedal can be smashed to the floor

- Wapakoneta, OH, USA

Jan 102016

While trying to stop the car while in motion, the brake pedal goes down all the way to the floor, and it takes longer than it should to stop the car. For several seconds after starting to press the brake, it seems like the car will not stop even though the brake is pressed to the floor. I've almost been in several wrecks and have only avoided them by pressing my brakes well before I have needed to the point of trying to stop at green lights just in case. I have taken it to 3 different Ford dealerships to try and fix the breaks to the point where the brake booster, caliper, and brake module have all been replaced yet the brakes still do not work properly. I hope that this problem can be resolved before someone is killed because he or she was unable to stop his or her car due to the faulty breaks.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Jan 132016

In November 2015 I took my 2008 Ford Fusion to a mechanic because the brake pedal went soft. As I recall, I hit a regular ole pot hole and the brakes were non-existent until I pushed the pedal all the way to the floor. When I took it to the mechanic, he said there was power steering in my master cylinder, and that I needed my master cylinder replaced. I allowed him to do so and the brakes were working properly again. In December of 2015 I was pulling into ted's hotdogs and the pedal went soft, again. I took it back to the same mechanic and he noticed the soft pedal. After bleeding out the brakes the brakes returned to working properly. He said he saw nothing wrong with it and called it, "weird." When I picked it up everything was working fine. January 13th, 2016 I was returning home. There was snow on the ground and I was making a left turn onto my street. The brake pedal went soft again. This morning my mother took it to work and she was forced to run a red light at 5:30 am because she could not stop because the pedal was soft. Every time the pedal went soft, it was because I was making a turn. The speeds I was going at were 40mph, 35mph and 20mph. After further research, I have learned that it has nothing to do with the master cylinder, brakes, rotors nor calipers, but has to do with the ABS and hcu.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Jan 122016

Light snow on roads when I approached a stop sign. Approached slowly and began to lightly apply the brakes. Felt/heard ABS engage when the brake pedal lost all resistance and went to the floor. Began franticly pumping the brakes and, after approximately 10 pumps, they returned. Pulled away from intersection and lightly applied brakes on a dry area of pavement; same result as above. ABS indicator light is not on. Immediately took vehicle to a repair facility (pumping my leg off every time I had to decrease speed) and they found no issue. Stated the problem is likely with the ABS hcu (as they had seen the same issue occur on a Lincoln mks). Pedal restored to normal while traveling home from shop.**updated 9/28/16 two days after I reported the original incident, I was driving my morning commute and began to brake as I approached a busy intersection (three directions of traffic but only 1 direction has to stop). Very small spots of unmelted snow were present on the road and again, the brake pedal went to the floor. I also went beyond my desired stopping point on this occasion, as well. In fact, the vehicle only stopped because I wrecked into the back of another vehicle that was waiting to turn.*smch

- Harrison, OH, USA

Dec 232015

Had instance to hit breaks when sliding on ice. Car stopped and ABS was working. Afterwords, pedal depressed to floor. I could stop by pumping them, but thought they had suffured failure. Mechanic I took the car to, said he reset computer code, found air in line, and they worked fine for over a year. Last month, they did the same thing. This time over the course of a couple of days while were away from home, we stopped very carefully. They did seem to correct themselves over the course of time. Returned to mechanic, who went online to try and find reason for problem, after finding no other problem with system, believes that the fault lies in the ABS module. These incidents all happened during extreme braking proceedures.

- The Dalles, OR, USA

Jan 012016

After an ABS even the brakes become spongy or even non-existant. 2 different dealers say no problems. This issue has nearly caused several accidents as the brakes are inconsistent. On-line several people point to a failure of the hbu. I just need to know if this is it. I can not keep throwing money at this issue. Ford needs to either step up and recall this or tell dealers what to fix.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 022015

While slowly driving, I heard a pop noise and then the brake pedal went to the floor. I had the breaks checked, rotor, pad, fluid and had them bled. Nothing wrong and no change. I took them 3 different places and they could find nothing wrong. If I pumped the breaks, the pedal will come back, but if I hit a pothole, minor bump or if its wet, snow or ice...they go out again and I am terrified of wrecking and hurting myself or someone else! I took it in somewhere else and they were able to tell me it's the ABS system and that it may need a new ABS module which is quite expensive! I am very afraid to drive, but I have no choice; work and home. This is a huge safety issue! I have now seen this problem reported several times and no recall" why is this not taken care of? I wonder how many accidents have been due to this? what does it take to have it recalled" it is obviously a defective ABS problem...that Ford is not addressing.

- Mishawaka, IN, USA

Nov 272015

I was coming to a stop while turning in a thin patch of mud, the brake pedal went nearly all the way to the floor causing a drastic drop in braking capability. Apparently, after an "ABS event", a valve in the ABS control unit sticks open robbing the system of pressure. After the ABS event, I was able to re-pressurize the system by pumping on the brake pedal several times.

- Preston, CT, USA

Nov 232015

I was driving down a side street on a Monday night. It had snowed on Saturday and there had been some thawing and icing. I came to a stop sign and when I applied the brakes the anti-lock brakes engaged. After that the brakes lost their pressure making braking more difficult. I definitely could not stop fast if I needed too making it a dangerous situation. This is exactly what happened in August of 2015 as well. I drove the 1/2 mile to my house and decided I would take it to a Ford dealership the next day. Unfortunately on my way there the brakes once again engaged therefore, not showing up on any test. Again, just like in August. I have many concerns with this problem, I do not feel comfortable driving people in my vehicle, people who know I have a problem do not want me to drive them and then there's my daughter who I will not allow to drive the car. I would not want to sell the car knowing that whoever purchased it would be caught off guard because they would be unaware of the problems that seem to be happening to others as well, but yet there is no recall! go figure that nothing will be done until someone (a child) is killed due to greed! go to the following links for more of the same complaints: &

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Nov 212015

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the hcu became jammed in the open position, causing the brake pedal to stick to the floor when depressed. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the hcu was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 81,000.

- Brown Summit, NC, USA

Nov 011015

Brake pedal went all the way to the floor. Driving on the street about 25-30 miles per hour when brake was pressed and it went all the way to the floor with no warning or lights popping up. Took the car to the dealer where they diagnosed it with the need for the master cylinder to be replaced, calipers serviced and system bleed. That did not solve the problem and I left with an unsafe vehicle and with my 2 year old son in the vehicle. Took the car back and after 5 days they told us that we need a new hydraulic control unit. The cost for the repairs is over $2000. Manufacturer was made aware of the issue since there are other customers complaining about the same issue and they have the exact same vehicle. A recall is needed for this issued since it's unsafe and someone can get hurt without any signs. Manufacturer is not taking any responsibility for the cost of the repairs since there are no open recalls or warranties.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012015

Soft pedal, goes almost to the floor, hydraulic control unit has been changed, brakes have been bleed manually and power bleed. Common issue Ford knows about involving 2007 and 2008 Ford Fusion. Already called Ford and complained. Very costly fix for the consumer $950 part. The vehicle was in motion when it occurred. It also did it when hitting a bump and the ABS turned on, the pedal remained soft, no ABS light or brake lights on.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Oct 262015

The brakes went all the way down to the floor, the Ford dealer said that there are 3 components in the system 1)master cylinder 2)hcu 3)power booster, he said that the master cylinder probably leaked into the hcu, which in turn messed up the power booster. The dealership also said that there have been numerous complaints from other 2008 Ford Fusion owners with the same thing. So our question is why doesn't Ford have a recall since they said there is a problem with the brake system on the 2008 Ford Fusion" now they want us to pay $2070 to have it fixed, we have a small grandchild that we Transport to school daily, if something happens to the brake system, then what? we want Ford to have a recall on this before someone dies. How could all 3 components go bad at once???"

- Garner, NC, USA

Oct 272015

While driving my car the brake pedal goes all the way down to the floor, I have a small child and I am afraid the brakes won't work, I see that a lot of people have had the same problem on the computer, I took my car back to Ford and they said they know that this is happening but it will cost me $2,000, I am a senior I don't have it, help.

- Garner, NC, USA

Oct 012015

While driving on a gravel road at slow speed for about 3 miles I came to a stop sign/intersection. When I applied the brakes there was no resistance and the pedal went to the floor before it did brake and locked the wheels and slid to a stop. I drove another hundred feet and pulled off the road and it did the same thing; pedal to the floor. With motor idling I opened the hood and checked the brake fluid level which was full, closed the hood and checked the brakes and they were fine; a full pedal. I drove another 20 miles or so in stop and go traffic and the brakes were flawless, full working pedal, no problems at all. I then went to my local Ford dealership where I related the above to the service mgr. And was told there was no way to diagnose the problem since at that time everything was working fine. He advised me that it could be the booster or master cylinder losing vacuum, but there was no way to check it. I suggested trading the vehicle since it is dangerous to drive but that might get someone else killed. The service mgr. Said if/when it happens and does not change or correct itself, they could then fix it. When it happens again I fear it will result in an accident. What can I do? there are several forums, etc. That suggest I am not alone. I bought this car new and nothing has been done to it. I am so afraid it will happen again and cause an accident that I cannot keep it and I fear for anyone who purchases it. I need an answer.

- Abingdon, VA, USA

May 022011

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the dashboard had a bubble effect on the passenger side of the vehicle. The contact was concerned that the air bag could deploy. In addition, the brake pedal remained pressed to the floorboard when the vehicle was started. The vehicle was repaired, but the issue recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Winnsboro, SC, USA

Aug 282015

I was driving my car down a frontage road when I put my foot to the brake pedal I felt the ABS brakes engage and then when I broke again my foot went down to the floor. I was glad that I was only going 25 miles per hour and that this did not happen because there was a car or person I needed to stop for because I would have hit it/them. I took it to my mechanic who could not find out what was wrong but after looking into the problem on line found that this seems to be an issue with other owners of the same car and year. An intermittent ABS brake problem. The repair cost will be $800 for the part and 5 hours of labor. Shocked to find out there is not recall for what could and maybe has been such a dangerous faulty part.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA