2008 Ford Fusion brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Fusion:

2008 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 282015

I was driving down a frontage road about 25 miles per hour when I put my foot on the brakes. I felt the ABS engage and when I broke again my foot went down to the floor. This happened on Friday, August 28. I drove it home, being very careful not to go near any other cars and time my driving so I did not have to brake at lights. The next day I took it to the shop and when I got there I noticed that the brakes once again engaged but I left it there anyway because I did not trust what was going on. I received a call today from my mechanic and he said that through some research he did, he found that there seems to be an intermittent problem recorded with the ABS on the 2008 Ford Fusion. The part would take up to 3 days to get at a cost of $800 with 5 hours of labor to repair!!! after doing some research myself, it seems like my car is not the only one this has happened too and I'm shocked that there is no recall for such a safety hazard. I was just glad that this happened when I was driving the car vs. My daughter and that I was not in a situation that I needed to brake to avoid hitting someone or something.

- Des Plaines, IL, USA

Apr 132015

Fusion 6-cyl

Brakes failed, went all the way to the floor. Had to put the car into first gear, pull over to the emergency lane, and pump madly to get brakes to finally stop the car. This is the third time it happened, and by far the worst incident. Had to pay Ford dealer $1688 for new master cylinder and new hcu. Went online to see if there was a recall. So far, none. But scores of other complaints on several web sites describe the same situation, same cost to repair.

- Houston, TX, USA

Mar 142013

Lose brakes after ABS went on - has happen few times each year I have own the car.

- Chalfont, PA, USA

Mar 112015

Replaced all 4 pads and rotors. Drivers side rear is sticking. It has heated up so much it has warped the new rotor. The other 3 stay cool and work as expected. After looking online I found caliper failure very common on the Ford Fusion. I replaced caliper and brake hose. Still sticking. Since I can only get remanufactured calipers, I guess I will have to keep returning until I get one that works properly. These should have been recalled or replacements issued.

- Utica , OH, USA

Nov 112014

Fusion 6-cyl

Hydraulic control unit on the anti-lock brake system failed! critical safety system failure. Driving on residential street at around 30 mph, clear and dry conditions. Made a hard stop to avoid a dog in the road. The anti-lock brakes engaged and then the brakes failed, brake pedal went to the floor. Pumped them and the brakes were now spongy and went to the bottom again. I took the car to my mechanic and he changed the brake master cylinder and it failed to fix the problem. They had to take it to the dealer to change the hydraulic control unit on the anti-lock brake system. It failed and was stuck open. There have been many similar complaints on this car. Cost to repair was $1678.

- Perris, CA, USA

Feb 172015

Brakes go soft had master cylinder replaced doing it again it's my daughter car why hasn't Ford re-called them to really fix the problem.

- Tell City , IN, USA

Jan 052015

Fusion 4-cyl

The brakes on my 2008 Ford Fusion suddenly started going to the floor. I could pump them up and would have braking ability but they would again go to the floor the next time I went to stop. I checked the brake fluid level in the master brake cylinder reservoir. It was at the appropriate level. I took it to my mechanic. He found leakage at the rear of the brake reservoir. The master brake cylinder was replaced. I have not had this problem since then.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 012012

When coming to a sudden stop and pressing hard on the brake pedal, the pedal went all the way to the floor and the ABS system rapidly pumped. Since the car was not stopping like it should I had to pump the pedal again to finally get the car stopped. After this I had to depress the pedal nearly to the floor to properly brake the car. Checking brake fluid level I found it was normal. The first auto repair shop changed the master cylinder, found no improvement, and re-installed the original master cylinder. The second auto repair shop stated it required authorized Ford dealer to communicate with a "solenoid" to clear the problem. The third auto repair (a Ford dealer) stated no problem found without major dis-assembly and likely $$$ to fix. However the brakes worked a little better but still "mushy" when depressing the pedal. There have been multiple times when braking hard on a rough road the ABS rapidly pumps with worsening of braking. It generally recovers somewhat over time but still too "mushy" for a normal braking. Ex-Ford repair man suggested checking recalls and have found similar experiences on this website. Surprised to find no recall yet.

- Beaumont, CA, USA

Dec 302014

Driving slow through the city when had to tap brake pedal for a vehicle that was veering into my lane. Upon doing so, my brakes went soft and I noticed that I have to push pedal significantly further before I sense any slowing of my vehicle. Ever since, my brakes have stayed this way and I'm uncomfortable driving my vehicle like this. Took it to a mechanic shop and they said nothing was wrong when they ran a diagnostic test on it. This is the second time in 1.5 years this has happened. First time, the ABS system was replaced and it was normal for about a year. Now it happened again.

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Oct 062012

Fusion 6-cyl

On three occasions, 10/6/12, 6/23/14, and 1/3/15 our Ford Fusion 2008 has experienced an issue with braking. In all three occurrences the problem has identical or nearly identical. They occurred following an anti-lock braking system activation at speeds between 25 and 40mph. The first two were in dry weather when braking while going over a pothole and the third was while driving on snow covered pavement. After the ABS activated, the brake pedal lost almost all pressure and would go to the floor before braking would initiate. Braking distance was substantially increased immediately. In both of the first two cases, the car was taking in for diagnosis and repair, however the issue was not able to be replicated. In both of the first two cases, the problem seemed to resolve itself within a few days. I am concerned with the increasing frequency as well as the number of similar complaints that are very similar to my experience and I urge additional investigation to prevent damage to property or loss of life.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Dec 242014

My daughters car so when it started I not sure. I drove the car and stepped on the brakes they went to the floor. The pedal would pump back up. Took car and had the brakes bled. That didnt work.they put on a new master cylinder brake are mushy at best. Dealer no help.there at least 20 reports on this sight for this model are you going to wait till someone gets killed"??"read your own website for this car.

- Vermilion, OH, USA

Jun 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

1st incident - braking, entering exit ramp - hit pot hole. Brakes went soft. Had to push to floor in order to slow the car. Brakes continued to be soft on drive. Very unsafe. When destination was reached I turned the car on and off three times while pumping the brakes (while off and while on). After letting the car set for a while the brakes reset. 2nd incident - snowy, icy. Going less than 40 mph braking for stop sign. ABS engaged, brakes when soft and couldn't get car slowed. Drove for 2 miles and pulled off. Turned car on and off twice while pumping brakes (while off and while on). Could not get brakes to reset. Drove home and have it off to see if more time all allow it to reset. Both incidents I was nearly in very bad accidents. This is not safe at all and there are countless complaints on various blogs online regarding '06, '07 and especially '08 Ford Fusion with the same issue.

- Marysville, OH, USA

Nov 072014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving the vehicle and needing to come to a stop the brake pedal is soft and goes striaght to the floor. We have had the brakes checked and all the fluid and those are fine. I have been told that it could be the master cylinder but probably the hydraulic cylinder unit. The dash by the passanger air bag is lifting from the dashboard. I have seen many of the same exact post for both issues. A recall needs to be made on these parts before someone seriously gets hurt. This is unexceptable that Ford is not taking car of these issues. There is obviously a serious problem with as many people that are reporting the same exact issues that my car is experiencing. Take this serious please, submit through recalls so people don't have to die or get seriously hurt in an accident to get your attention.

- Clinton Twp, MI, USA

Apr 202014

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 40 mph, the brake pedal was applied and the vehicle hesitated to stop. The contact stated that the brake pedal required excessive force in order to stop. The failure occurred on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who released the air from the ABS system but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 83,000.

- Belpre, OH, USA

Oct 062014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving around a corner I pressed on the brake pedal, heard a snap or pop sound and immediately the brake pedal became soft and moved towards the floor. Braking power was reduced and ABS appeared to not function (no clicking sound). Since this event my brakes have not recovered and I still have soft brakes with reduced braking power. To work properly I need to pump the brakes to restore temporarily the pressure. This was the 3rd time this has happened to me in the last 6 months. The past two times the brakes returned to normal use after a day or so. In the previous two instances I experienced the same result but the intitiation was slightly different. 1st incident was caused by stopping on wet pavement. The ABS started to engaged and then seemed to disengage...result soft brakes for a day. The 2nd incident was intitated by slowing down for a stop sign and hitting a small bump in the road which caused the brake pedal to go to the floor and soft brakes for a day. I am seeing many people with the same issue on the internet boards but appears there is no known solution only expensive repairs that do not solve the issue. See this link for more complaints:

- Santa Teresa, NM, USA

Oct 052014

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving at approx. 15-20 mph approaching a busy intersection began applying brakes and they instantly felt soft and spongy and went nearly to the floor I continued to apply pressure as I approached a busy intersection and eventually stopped. Continued to drive to get someplace safe and at every brake the brakes were very soft and needed a lot of additional space to stop and went almost to the floor. In reviewing all forums this seems a common and sudden issue. Mine occurred with no warning, popping or ABS engaging. Allowing the car to sit as it is Sunday afternoon and will see how it feels tomorrow. I am quite frankly afraid to drive my car and have to get to work somehow...

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Sep 022014

Fusion 4-cyl

This problem has happened to me twice already. The first time, the ABS brakes engaged after driving over some water on the highway. The brake pedal got soft, went down almost to the floor, and did not reset itself. I was afraid to drive with the decreased braking power. I called a Ford dealer and they said they had never heard of this problem, although I could hear some snickering in the background. I told them I found forum after forum online of other Fusion owners complaining of the very same thing. They could only offer an appointment in 2.5 weeks to take a look at it. I called an independent garage and a mechanic looked at it the same day, checked a few things and added some brake fluid to the master cylinder (mc). The braking power returned. He said I would need a new mc if it happened again. A few weeks later it happened again. The ABS brakes engaged after I braked to avoid a car making a surprise turn in front of me. The brake pedal went to the floor and became soft. It felt like I had no braking power at all. I had to press the brake pedal extremely hard in order to slow down or stop. I got off the highway and kept pumping the brake pedal repeatedly to get it to reset. After a few attempts, it reset itself to its normal position. I took the car to a Ford dealer a few days later. They could get the ABS to engage, but could not recreate the problem with the brake pedal going to the floor. They did not know what to do, and could only offer a $2000 "fix" they would not guarantee. I did not take them up on their offer, and they did not believe changing the master cylinder would correct the problem. The problem could occur again any time the ABS is activated.

- Somerset, NJ, USA

Feb 152014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving in snow and when I hit the brakes the ABS made a loud noise and my brake pedal went to the floor. Since then my brakes go almost to the floor before stopping.

- Bloomington, IL, USA

Nov 242013

Fusion 6-cyl

After braking on ice, the ABS engaged then the brakes became spongy and the brake pedal went to the floor. It was snowing very badly and the sponginess continued until the car sat still for hours and then the brake pedal pressure returned. Eight months later on a hot, dry day, while braking over a raised joint on the pavement, the ABS engaged and the brakes again became spongy and the brake pedal went to the floor again. We came home and bled the brakes thinking the action of the ABS might have agitated the brake fluid causing bubbles, but the fluid was not foamy only small amounts of air came out. But the brakes two days later are still spongy. We looked on the internet and found forum after forum on websites complaining about this same problem, but there are no recalls on this vehicle, but other Ford vehicles have been recalled for ABS issues. I am scared the brakes will fail when I need them the most.

- Moriarty, NM, USA

Jul 132014

Fusion 4-cyl

Once around April 27th or so I was driving on the highway to go to dallas. Traffic was slowing down so I applied my brakes, the car did not stop right away. I began to panic and began to pump them and the car finally stopped about a foot behind the car in front of me. Then on another occasion, on or about July 13th I was driving on a street near where I purchased the 2008 Ford Fusion. As I approached a red light I began to apply my brakes but the vehicle did not stop it began to click and was already past the corner, I looked over my left shoulder and traffic was starting to come my way so I let up off the brakes and accelerated. I am very afraid and have called Ford Motor Company that said there were no recalls on the brakes for my VIN. I hope I don't have to be a statistic before the do something about this dangerous safety issue with this car. I just bought it 11 months ago, so I have a long time to pay for it.

- Arlington, TX, USA