2008 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Fusion:

2008 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

I started my car and it sounded & seemed normal. However, after driving less than 2 miles, my engine suddenly decelerated and the rpms dropped dramatically. I tried to accelerate and it would not increase speed. I was able to get off the road safely. I had to have my car towed. The mechanic determined that the problem was due to a faulty power train control module which impacts the ignition coils and the estimated cost of repair is $2100! one of my ignition coils was melted. Ford has issued a technical service bulletin on this issue, however, they do not deem this a safety issue! cars that just stop running or decelerate quickly is most definitely a safety issue. I can think of many scenarios where this issue would cause injury or perhaps even death. Had I been on a freeway or driving at a greater speed where there was more traffic, I could certainly have ended up in an accident with another vehicle. I researched this concern and found that I am not alone and there have many others affected by the same exact situation. Ford is of the opinion that this should be the responsibility of the car owner and they do not hold themselves accountable. I understand how warranties work and I realize that cars age. However, this issue has nothing to do with wear and tear or age. This is a faulty piece of equipment that is causing a safety issue when it hampers a vehicle's ability to continue in a forward motion at a normal rate of speed. Any help you can provide on this issue would be appreciated.

- Kingwood, WV, USA

May 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Auto transmission stopped shifting into higher gears. Only 1st and reverse. Had a shop try to repair it. Now it shift from 1st to second and then to fourth. Still no 3rd or 5th gear? spent over $ $600 so far.

- Ticonderoga, NY, USA

Aug 232013

Fusion 6-cyl

My vehicle has had no previous mechanical defects or issues. On the above listed date, my vehicle had difficulty starting after sitting (off) for approximately 12 hours. I began to drive and the vehicle died while I was driving. Later diagnostics revealed that the PCM and ignition coils were damaged. This is a known issue for Ford, as they have issued a tsb on the issue. Ford has neglected to issue a recall or safety advisory to their affected customers, and is now failing to rectify the issue. This is a major safety defect, as the vehicle could become inoperable while operating at moderate to high speeds, which could cause a loss of control. Ford is aware of the issue and is failing to take responsibility and protect its consumers.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 232013

Fusion 6-cyl

Ptu (transfer case) is leaking out of vent tube. Because the ptu oil is not serviceable (no drain plug) the oil has degraded and turned into a thick tar like substance clogging up the unit. Now unit makes whining noise during acceleration destroying the gears.

- Victor, NY, USA

Aug 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

Car began running rough and there was no power in the throttle. The problem was diagnosed as an issue with the throttle body or actuator.

- Lake Bluff, IL, USA

Apr 152013

Fusion

Purchased the car for my daughter's 16th birthday. I believe it only had 20,000 miles on it. She had if for 2 years and has always thought the car ran a little "sluggish". in April, 2013 the car began to decelerate when stepping on the gas, and would not shift properly. Brought it to the Ford dealer we purchased it from, who told us the transmission was gone and it needed to be replaced. We were even told that these particular cars "were not meant to last" and that "most people traded these cars in after only a couple of years." We also contacted Ford Motor Company who refused to help us out with any portion of the defect. We installed a brand new Ford transmission for $1,400 and now, only 3 months later we are having to replace the transmission again for the same problem. Also, within a couple of months after purchasing the vehicle the door handles started to peel and my daughter and her passengers have cut themselves.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Mar 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

The rear carrier bearing is already wearing out. From searching around on the internet, this is a known problem. My car only has 65000 miles on it, there should be no reason for this to happen. You can't find a replacement bearing, so it makes me thing Ford knows about the issue but is not willing to do anything about it; leaving people to hope the drive shaft doesn't fall out going down the road.

- Strasburg, CO, USA

Feb 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

On an interstate merge ramp, the Fusion suddenly lost power and felt like it would stall. Wrench light came on and engine surged with acceleration, but never got over 40 mph. When I took my foot off the gas pedal, it felt like the car would stall; it lurched and managed to keep going very slowly. I feared for my safety on this very busy interstate. The car lurched and surged until I could get to a safe stopping point.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Feb 262012

Fusion 6-cyl

Whirring noise developed from AWD drive shaft carrier bearing.

- Milford, CT, USA

Dec 012011

Fusion

Power train control module broken, 3 months after I purchased it. Made my pregnant wife stranded during the winter. Ford did nothing to help about it. $1500 bill and left my wife stranded in the middle of the road waiting for cars to hit her. Thanks for nothing Ford.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Jun 092011

Fusion

Used vehicle purchase 2 days ago, my husband and I drove the car on a test drive and it went well, after all the papers were done we got in the car and went to go eat and when we came out to leave and I tried to pull the into R and it would not budge so my husband tried to drive instead and he couldn't pull it in to R and this happened we immediately called the dealer and they said come back and they tried for about 20 minutes and asked we bring it back tomorrow, so we did and they said oh we adjusted the automatic transaxle linkage it won't happen again and here again I went to the pharmacy today and tried for 32 minutes to put the car in gear. In any gear and I couldn't I got so upset I called my husband and asked him what to do if I couldn't get it in gear and he told me try again for a bit and if I still couldn't do it, call a wrecker to pick it up. I have spoken to numerous owners in the last few days on the Ford owners forums and it is atrocious just how many times I have been told they have had issues like this too. Come on I have trouble paying for a car I may or may not be able to drive!

- Dallas, TX, USA