2008 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Fusion:

2008 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 152013

Fusion

Purchased the car for my daughter's 16th birthday. I believe it only had 20,000 miles on it. She had if for 2 years and has always thought the car ran a little "sluggish". in April, 2013 the car began to decelerate when stepping on the gas, and would not shift properly. Brought it to the Ford dealer we purchased it from, who told us the transmission was gone and it needed to be replaced. We were even told that these particular cars "were not meant to last" and that "most people traded these cars in after only a couple of years." We also contacted Ford Motor Company who refused to help us out with any portion of the defect. We installed a brand new Ford transmission for $1,400 and now, only 3 months later we are having to replace the transmission again for the same problem. Also, within a couple of months after purchasing the vehicle the door handles started to peel and my daughter and her passengers have cut themselves.

- Rio Rancho, NM, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 6-cyl

1. engine started running poorly at startup after work. 2. check engine light was flashing. 3.made it home with not much power available. Check engine light on constant now. 4. noticed a burning smell. 5.took it to a shop to check the next day. They replaced one of the rear plug packs. It had burned up. 6. they said to take it to the dealer for a complete fix. Car still running poorly. 7. took it to the dealer the next day. 6/13/2103. They said the plug pack burned up again and I would need that replaced again plus a new computer which burned up the plug pack. 8. they said the next day that the parts were on back-order and it would take a few days. 9. the parts are still on back order. (almost a month now). Car still at the dealer. Using my backup car as dealer has no loaner. 7/6/2013.

- Milford, CT, USA

May 042013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on the highway, the car began to shutter. The car would no longer accelerate and the engine died. At a very slow rate of speed was able to get off the highway on to a ramp. The car was no longer functional and was towed to a local Ford dealership. The dealership indicated that the PCM, six ignition coils and spark plugs all needed to be replaced. This appears to be a known problem with Ford Fusion 2006-2008 and other Ford products with 3.0L V6 engine.

- Grapevine, TX, USA

May 242012

Fusion 4-cyl

Engine oil level indicator (dipstick) indicates engine oil level ok even if very low (dipstick tube is also a drain for overhead cam body). Engine low oil shutdown also did not occur. This results in driver operating a vehicle that can have catastrophic engine failure at highway speeds leaving vehicle with no propulsion, power steering, power brakes and unable to navigate to a safe location and may also generate metallic engine debris on roadway posing a hazard to other drivers. A local dealer also indicated a vehicle operating under this condition could burst into flames.

- Casselberry, FL, USA

Mar 292013

Fusion 6-cyl

A burning smell was detected after my 2008 sel AWD was driven/hot. My mechanic saw oil all over the exhaust and cleaned it all off and did a dye trace to locate the leak. The leak is the rear head gasket! I never had a well cared for car leak this early. I always got over 200,000 miles on my Buick. The cost to replace a head gasket are in excess of $2100-$2500! and as a note, the mechanic who found the issue does not even do major engine repair on this level so they were not making it up.

- Pleasant Hill, MO, USA

Mar 242013

Fusion

While on a trip to new buffalo, Michigan, my 2008 Ford Fusion began to sputter and limp (as if it were running out of gas). The vehicle continued to shake violently, as I pulled over to the side of the road. I then turned off the car and waited a few minutes. When I turned it on again, the car seemed to have miraculously recovered. As I pulled out onto the highway, however, the engine light started flashing and the car began to whine and sputter. Since it was late on a Sunday night and there were no repair shops open, I was forced to park the car at a nearby parking lot and was later picked up by a relative of mine, who drove nearly 200 miles to get me back home. The following day, my insurance company towed the car to a local auto shop where I spoke with a mechanic and service representative. To my dismay, both gentlemen relayed that this was a common occurrence with Ford Fusion, and that the technician, himself had repaired 8-12 such issues in the last year. He also mentioned that there were several tsbs (technical service bulletins) related to this issue, due to a faulty design in the PCM and injection coils which caused them to short to one another. I asked if there had been a recall or if customers were forced to pay to replace these flawed parts. He kindly explained that recalls are for safety issues, ťand that if we wanted the car fixed, we would need to pay for new parts. As the service representative provided me with a quote for the repair cost, a princely sum of $3,010, my reaction resembled that of an individual watching a rather terrible horror movie. I could not help but feel aggrieved as a large portion of the cost (nearly $2,200) was attributed to the faulty parts that needed to be replaced. Note, a similar complaint was also filed on Feb 06, 2012, by an individual in St marys, pa.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA