2008 Ford Fusion engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Fusion:

2008 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 042016

Fusion

I have replaced the broken bolt on the idler pulley for the second time in 6 months. This is an annoying issue with this engine. Fortunately it happened on statrt up so we were in the driveway. Had it happened on the highway, the loss of power steering could have easily resulted in a fatal crash. The bolt is poorly designed and needs to be larger and or harder. If this is not fixed someone will eventually be killed. How many deaths does it take to warrant attention by Ford"?"

- Port Ornge, FL, USA

Apr 012016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled. The wrench and engine warning indicators illuminated. The contact had to maneuver to the side of the road. After two minutes, the vehicle restarted normally, but the engine warning indicator was still illuminated. The failure recurred approximately fifteen times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the codes were erroneous and the fuel throttle body assembly needed replacement. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 45,965.

- Baldwin, NY, USA

Jan 222016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle lost power. The check engine and the wrench warning indicators illuminated. In addition, the headlights failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was not available.

- Toano, VA, USA

Nov 142014

Fusion

2008 Ford Fusion. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle engine front cover gasket issues. The dealer informed the consumer, the engine front cover gasket, crank seal, oil pan gasket, value cover gasket and serpentine belt tensioner needed to be replaced right away, or the engine would blow.

- Daly City, CA, USA

Aug 042015

Fusion

I noticed the area where the passenger side airbag is is bulging from the dash. When I went to start the car it would turn over and immediately cut out. Airbag icon is lit up on dash as is the engine light. Repeated efforts to start and keep going were unsuccessful. Since I was on my way to work I kept trying. Finally got going and traveling approximately 20 mph and the car just completely shuts down. Got started again and proceeded to work and it happened again going about 35 mph. Ran fine for a couple of days, back to the same old thing today with the airbag light staying on. I have read of this issue before however I could not find that report today. It is very dangerous to be traveling along and have the car completely shut down on you. Ford really needs to take care of this issue. I am contemplating reporting this to a news station because it seems like they are not taking this seriously. The other reports I just read do not mention car cutting out on them or airbag and engine lights on.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Dec 012014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the engine light illuminated while driving and caused the vehicle to jerk. The dealer located a failure code at the electronic throttle body. The manufacturer advised that the vehicle was not included in the manufacturer's electronic throttle body warranty replacement program. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Clifton Park , NY, USA

Nov 292014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was on the on ramp for the highway and accelerated to enter ahead of upcoming tractor trailer. I entered the highway and the engine completely shut down on me. I managed to get into the breakdown lane before being hit by the oncoming tractor trailer. I turned off ignition and waited a few minutes before attempting to start car again. It did start and I drove home. Vehicle seemed fine the next few days except for an incident where car was off, no keys in it, but bell kept going off when I opened the door. Had two more instances where car stalled when first started in morning, thought it was just cold. Five days after first incident it happened again. I started car and it stalled several times. When I stepped on gas it felt odd, like it wasn't getting the gas. I proceeded to put in drive, got a third of a mile from home and the exact same thing occurred. I was driving down the street and the car just completely shut down while I was going approximately 25 mph. Would not start for about 15 minutes but once started I was able to get back home. Happened two more times and I am terrified I will be badly hurt or hurt someone else by causing an accident. No warning just a complete engine shut down. Now after all instances the check engine light has come on.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Sep 102014

Fusion 4-cyl

Belt idler pulley attachment bolt broke off while negotiating a corner, detaching the pulley from the front of the motor causing sudden loss of power steering assist, alternator charging, and engine cooling. Ford Fusion equipped with the 2.3L motor. This issue has now happened multiple times, with multiple parts replaced each time in an attempt to fix the underlying issue. A quick search online reveals this to be a very common problem with the Ford/Mazda 2.3L 4 cylinder.

- North Branch, MI, USA

Aug 242014

Fusion 4-cyl

In the driveway and turned the car on. The check engine light and wrench light came on and there was no throttle and the engine took a while to kick on. The scan tool said error code P2112 throttle actuator control system stuck closed.

- Bohemia, NY, USA

Aug 182014

Fusion

My car wouldn't accelerate, then my check engine light comes on. Within 20 my car completely shuts off. Had to tow it to a mechanic, to tell me the computer system in my is burning up the coils in my engine. I called the dealership to see if there was a recall on this, and there was not. In fact as I look on the internet I have similar stories about the exact same problem. I told the dealership that and there was nothing they could do. Also on this site I reading how some of them the dashboard curls up, mine is also doing that. I bought this car brand new, just paid it off and this happens. I even finance through Ford, you think they would try to help.

- Saint Charles , MO, USA

Jun 112014

Fusion 4-cyl

My 2008 Ford Fusion SE 2.3L, 5-speed manual, has shut off on the highway with no warning at highway speeds of 65+mph. The engine would suddenly lose power and stall and I would have to coast and attempt to control my car at speed until I could get the engine restarted. I was unable to just turn the key forward to restart the engine and had to turn the key backwards all the way into the "off" position before attempting to restart the engine. The engine would not always restart on the 1st or second attempt. This happened to me twice over a 2 week period at high speeds before suddenly worsening and causing my vehicle to stall and not run in idle or randomly at any speed. I took my vehicle to a Ford dealership where they diagnosed it as a faulty throttle body (engine fault codes included P0128, P0607, P2107) but refused to cover any portion of the repair despite the vehicle having only 35,500 miles and numerous complaints about similar safety issues on similar vehicles/components.

- La Vergne, TN, USA

Feb 122014

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveled from ct to marathon, fl, arriving after noon. Within sight of the hotel destination the engine began to break down and run rough. I also smelled smoke. I managed to get to the hotel parking lot before the engine quit altogether. A local shop diagnosed the problem as two cylinder misfires and failed ignition coils. 57 mi from the dealer in key West and over 100 mi from miami, I elected to have a local ase certified shop replace the coils. Reflashing the PCM showed a new set of codes and that the PCM was failed and needed to be replaced. According to machado Ford in miami, there were no pcms in Ford's inventory in all of the us. Searched for remanufactured pcms was fruitless as well. Finally contacted armstrong Ford in homestead and they said they could fix the car. $996.56 to the shop in big pine key. Transported the car to homestead on fri 2/21. Monday the dealer had located a PCM and replacement was completed under warranty Tuesday afternoon. I picked up the car on Wednesday and left for jacksonville in the afternoon. 120 mi North in jupitor, the engine failed again. We sat on the side of the fl turnpike's 70 mph traffic until we could have the car transported to mullinax Ford in West palm, arriving after the service dept had closed. The next day I learned that all three catalytic converters were plugged and needed replacement. Two converters were available and were replaced on 2/28. The third converter was back ordered with an expected availability of 3/31. Since the remaining unit had discharged its contents into the tailpipe and was discarded, I was able to drive back to ct. Tasca Ford in berlin ct is still waiting for the replacement converter after numerous extensions of delivery dates from Ford. The Ford customer serv rep refused to return my calls. My total out of pocket expenses exceed $4000 to date.

- Wethersfield, CT, USA

May 012014

Fusion

I bought a 2008 Ford Fusion. I have under 100,000 miles and the oil pan came off and blew my motor. I am very disappointed and angry about this situation. I took very good care of the car. Got oil changes and checked the oil weekly. There was no oil leaks whatsoever. When I contacted Ford I was greeted with rudeness and a don't care attitude. Is this how you treat your customers on a daily basis? there was no warning or indication that the motor was gonna blow up. I was driving 50 mph when the car motor blew out. Luckily I wasn't hurt or anyone else. Please contact me that you received this information.

- Ortonville, MI, USA

Apr 012014

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the PCM malfunctioned causing the coils to melt and as a result, the ignition coil, spark plugs and PCM needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 112,000. Updated 7/14/14 updated 07/18/2014

- Galesburg, IL, USA

Mar 182014

Fusion

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the PCM needed to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 112,000.

- Wayzataa, MN, USA

Feb 282014

Fusion

On 2/17/2014 this vehicle experienced a "limp mode" condition. The vehicle was on a high speed road and was able to be safely removed to back streets. The vehicle would not accelerate beyond 20mph. The vehicle was put into park, shutdown and then the key put into the on position paused and started. Problem seems to be resolved. In November the vehicle experienced two situation. 1. limp mode - was unknown at the time so the floor mats were removed 2. acceleration - the vehicle appears to accelerate on its own. Not from a stand still by while in motion.

- Merrimack, NH, USA

Feb 062014

Fusion 4-cyl

Throttle body needs to be replaced. While driving at highway speeds the vehicle lurched, lost power and acceleration. Wrench lit up on dashboard. Had to pull off freeway, turn off car. Waited 5 minutes, proceeded with drive. No further incident occurred. Took to dealership and was told the repair would exceed in excess of $700. If there is a known issue with an extended warranty, why was that warranty not extended to us?

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Dec 012013

Fusion

I was driving down the road with cruise control set to 60 mph when the wrench light came on and I had limited power. I then pulled to the side of the road and had to turn the car completely off. Restarted the car and everything was fine so I thought. It keeps happening. One of my friends told me that Ford has been having this problem so I looked it up and sure enough there are many that has had this same problem. I am filling this out in hopes to not only get my vehicle fixed but to also save a life! I have a little one that rides everywhere with me. This is a safety issue that needs to be fixed immediately!

- Clinton, AR, USA

Dec 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

I started my car and it sounded & seemed normal. However, after driving less than 2 miles, my engine suddenly decelerated and the rpms dropped dramatically. I tried to accelerate and it would not increase speed. I was able to get off the road safely. I had to have my car towed. The mechanic determined that the problem was due to a faulty power train control module which impacts the ignition coils and the estimated cost of repair is $2100! one of my ignition coils was melted. Ford has issued a technical service bulletin on this issue, however, they do not deem this a safety issue! cars that just stop running or decelerate quickly is most definitely a safety issue. I can think of many scenarios where this issue would cause injury or perhaps even death. Had I been on a freeway or driving at a greater speed where there was more traffic, I could certainly have ended up in an accident with another vehicle. I researched this concern and found that I am not alone and there have many others affected by the same exact situation. Ford is of the opinion that this should be the responsibility of the car owner and they do not hold themselves accountable. I understand how warranties work and I realize that cars age. However, this issue has nothing to do with wear and tear or age. This is a faulty piece of equipment that is causing a safety issue when it hampers a vehicle's ability to continue in a forward motion at a normal rate of speed. Any help you can provide on this issue would be appreciated.

- Kingwood, WV, USA

Sep 162013

Fusion 4-cyl

On Monday September 16, 2013 I began to hear knocking from my engine on my way home from work. When I arrived home, I checked the oil dipstick and it was dry. I put two quarts of oil in it and the knocking persisted. On Tuesday I took the vehicle in to a local mechanic to tell me what the knocking was. He checked the dipstick and it was again dry and told me I needed a new engine. I then had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealership where I purchased it. They told me the oil drain plug was only held in be three threads and that's why there was no oil in the car, thus causing the engine failure. At no time did any warning lights illuminate on the dashboard. The dealership doesn't want to cover the repair under my extended warranty because they say a "negligent repair" caused the engine failure. However, no one has an explanation as to why no warning lights ever alerted me that there may be a problem. The repair shop that changed the oil last says the oil was drained from the car quickly, and there was not a gradual leak because the "bottom of the vehicle is dry." Assuming this was vandalism, no warning lights ever illuminated in the car saying that the oil was low or empty, and the check engine light never illuminated either. I'm still trying to get the engine repair paid for.

- Columbus, OH, USA