2009 Ford Fusion drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

2009 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

May 032016

Fusion

I was parking my 09 Fusion at my son's preschool, and was almost stopped in the spot, when my car violently and unexpectedly accelerated forward up over a 4 inch curb. I pressed on the brake as hard as I could, but it was the tree that I hit that stopped me. There was no damage to the car, but I had both my children (4 years old and 11 months old) in their car seats with me at the time. This is the second time it has happened while parking. Both times I was going less that 10 mph and was almost at a complete stop when the car unexpectedly lurched forward. Will not put my children back in this vehicle until this problem is fixed; is not drive-able.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Mar 042015

Fusion 4-cyl

I have twice now experienced a catastrophic engine/power train failure while at speed and in traffic. While driving and without any prior notice, my car immediately shuts down. During which the engine stalls, power brakes fail, and steering wheel locks. Luckily I was in a position in traffic where I could quickly engage the hazard lights and allow plenty of reaction time for other drivers to avoid me. After the car has stalled and lost all power, that is when the warning lights (engine and wrench) come on the dash. Each time it has taken no less than 5 minutes, while sitting in heavy traffic, to restart the car. When the car restarts it will drive like it did prior to the failure but the check engine light will remain on. This time I was able to bring the car to the local Ford service department to have them diagnose the problem. After a full day of trying to recreate the issue (25 mile test drive) their recommendation was to take the car and continue to drive as normal until it happens again. After researching this site and several others, I have found that I am not the only Fusion owner who has experienced this problem. I brought several documents to prove the issue has been recognized by Ford (csp 13N03) and there is a fix for the problem. Due to the bureaucratic nature of the conflictual relationship between the automotive industry and government entities, I am now left with a blunt refusal to remedy the issue with my car from the Ford dealership because I do not own a 2010 Fusion but rather a 2009. A model year prior to what Ford recognizes has issues but I in fact have twice experienced the exact symptoms that Ford outlined in their csp 13N03 document. At the end of the day I still have a very unsafe vehicle that is not fit to be on public roads because of the mass safety risk it poses to it's occupants (my children) and other motorists.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Dec 182014

Fusion

While driving my Fusion which has had no mechanical issues up to this point slammed into 3rd gear followed by a rapid decrease in power and speed. The check engine light and wrench came on and pretty sure was in the" limp home" mode. Took it to get the codes read and P 2104 and P0607 were present.

- Rayville , MO, USA

Nov 302012

Fusion

I'm getting a check engine light and a wrench symbol on my dashboard. When I take it to get checked, it says 'faulty throttle body' or throttle control actuator. This causes my Ford Fusion to go into 'limp home' mode. This is a mode that causes that car to accelerate no more than 20 miles an hour. The problem with this is that it happens when I'm in the middle of traffic, traveling at speeds of 55-70 miles an hour. When this happens, I fear for my life. When I contact auto care centers, they all tell me that this is a problem that has to be handled by the dealership. When I contact the dealership, they don't know what I'm talking about. I think that this throttle body is defective and after some online research, I see that I'm one of many Ford owners that this has happened to. I would like a them recall this defective auto part. I hope no one has died from their car suddenly going into 'limp home' mode.

- Garden City, GA, USA

May 282014

Fusion

While merging onto a freeway my car experienced a sudden loss of power while driving. Shortly afterwards my check engine light came on and I took it to the dealer to see what it was. It was a bad catalytic converter I was told that it would take 4 weeks to get one in. Meanwhile it being my only car I asked and was denied a loaner vehicle from Ford Motor Co. And I was told that the vehicle was still safe to drive as long as I did not let it goo too long without the repair. I called back 4 weeks later and was told that it would be an additional 4-8 weeks as there were "no" parts to be found anywhere. This worried me greatly as they even said problems could arise if driven too long without being fixed. So I filed a complaint with Ford Motor Company and was treated like crap by them. They told me they were willing to help but "not" willing to do anything. So I called a local news station who put me in touch with their executive offices where I got the same response. No loaner vehicle and no compenstaion for the extra gas I had to buy as it sucked it down. Whenever someone from Ford's calls me I am lucky to get a sentence in before they hung up on me! thankfully to my contacting a local news station they made enough headway with Ford that my part "finally" arrived today on 07/28/14 but I am extremely upset that Ford would put me in the situation where myself and my family could be in danger by driving an automobile that is not safe. Driving with bad catalytic converters is not safe and could cause all sorts of other issues and the fact that Ford's encouraged me to do so is frightening. This for one along with the GM issues has me seriously thinking of buying a foreign automobile for the first time ever. It was wrong what Ford Motor Company did to myself and my family and I hope that this complaint will prevent them from doing this again in the future!

- South Lyon, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving into a parking lot, the vehicle loss power and the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who diagnosed that the power train control module failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 16,000. Updated 09/05/14 updated 09/15/2014

- Pensicola, FL, USA

Jan 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Slowed down to turn in a parking lot and car just stalled and check engine light and tool light came on. I had a diagnostic rsn and got code 2104 & 2112 meaning throttle body failure.

- Durham, NC, USA

Oct 212013

Fusion

For the past month the check engine light has appeared and stayed on for a brief time. Now it stays on. I have had a diagnostic test done and the results were P2112, P0721 and P2104. There appear to be a bad app sensor, throttle actuator control system-forced idle, stuck closed and failed ECM. If this is included in any recall, please let me know asap. This is the only vehicle I have and my lively-hood depends on it.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Vehicle shifts very irregularly- seems to go in and out of gear and when stepping on gas pedal it does not respond then jerks into drive gear. Two warning lights came on in dash, small wrench and check engine. An obd code reader was used to determine a fault code of po 772 ( shift solenoid stuck on) and car was taken into a Ford dealer. Initially told that warrant had expired but engine and drive train warranty is for 5 years / 50,000 miles. Dealer inspected and found solenoid defective and transmission bands damaged. Car is be at dealer since June 4, 2013 as of today's date (06-08-13) upon investigating this problem I found hundreds of similar complaints by Ford Fusion owners and thus far no recall by Ford. This problem could cause an accident which could result in injury or even death if occurring on the freeway. Ford needs to recall the Fusion for repair or replacement.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

Feb 022013

Fusion

After making a right turn and attempting to accelerate, the wrench light illuminated for the first time and the vehicle appeared to stall and I could not accelerate. Thankfully, it's a Saturday morning and traffic was light and I was not on the highway. After pulling over and putting this information in a search engine I found numerous complaints of this happening to other Ford owners. Some were on the highway and some in heavy traffic. The light eventually goes off, so of course the owner assumes there is no problem. The repair cost is expensive and this is an obvious problem Ford knows about and is refusing to fix it. This is very dangerous and I don't think a lot of people know to report this problem to you.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Aug 292012

Fusion

When driving at a normal speed, the idle of the car quickly drops and you are unable to maintain your speed. You immediately are forced to stop the car, turn it off and let it sit to reset it's self where ever on the road you are. This has happen randomly last few weeks. Just a few days ago it got increasingly worse. Was entering highway off an exit trying to merge. Was unable to get the speed because the idle dropped. Luckily had just enough time to get to shoulder to sit and wait. Had it been few seconds longer would of merged with highway traffic and then car would of came to a quick halt. The diagnosis to this problem the throttle body went bad.

- Willow Street, PA, USA

Jul 212010

Fusion 6-cyl

Sudden acceleration when car was put into reverse. The car engine was turned off. Floor mat was not touching the gas pedal. Dealer could not find any codes in car computer. Car is 2009 Ford Fusion, V-6, AWD. Model sel.

- Clovis, NM, USA