2009 Ford Fusion electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford Fusion:

2009 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Sep 212016

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. While the vehicle was parked, a small fire on the passenger side floor ignited. The fire department extinguished the fire. A police and a fire report were filed. There were no injuries. The contact was informed that the charger cable that was plugged into the accessory power outlet cable (underneath the front passenger side floor mat) became hot and melted and burned a hole in the carpet, which ignited the fire. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 115,681. The VIN was unavailable.

- Albion, NY, USA

May 032016

Fusion

I was parking my 09 Fusion at my son's preschool, and was almost stopped in the spot, when my car violently and unexpectedly accelerated forward up over a 4 inch curb. I pressed on the brake as hard as I could, but it was the tree that I hit that stopped me. There was no damage to the car, but I had both my children (4 years old and 11 months old) in their car seats with me at the time. This is the second time it has happened while parking. Both times I was going less that 10 mph and was almost at a complete stop when the car unexpectedly lurched forward. Will not put my children back in this vehicle until this problem is fixed; is not drive-able.

- Arvada, CO, USA

Dec 162015

Fusion

I had exited the highway & was stopped at a stoplight in the right hand turn lane. Cars were behind me. When it was my turn to go, the car would not accelerate for me to make the turn. The traction light, wrench light, and engine light came on. I pressed down on the accelerator to try to move the car out of the middle of the 4-lane intersection, but it moved at a snail's pace maybe 4 feet from the turn lane. The car did not have the power to turn or even make it to the side of the road. My car was perpendicular to the cars in the 4 other lanes. I'm thankful I wasn't hit. I turned off the car and restarted it, but the same lights came on, the car was shaky, and could not accelerate. The police pulled behind me and she called the tow truck. The tow truck took us to the Ford dealership. The Ford dealership said the electronic throttle body has to be replaced, and was the cause of my car problems today. The lady at the dealership said Ford has had problems with the electronic throttle body going out in Ford vehicles, including the kind I have- 2009 Ford Fusion.

- Salem, MO, USA

Mar 102011

Fusion

The contact owns a 2009 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the rear tail lights failed to fully illuminate. The socket prematurely rusted and caused an internal failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no remedy. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 1/12/16

- Lancaster, NY, USA

May 182015

Fusion

Smart junction box and transmission have been replaced. It's a new car with 37000 miles.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Apr 262015

Fusion 6-cyl

While using the driver's side door latch to exit my vehicle, the latch (plastic) broke. I am no longer able to lock the driver's side door automatically using the other door locking features on the car or from the key faub.

- Covina, CA, USA

Mar 042015

Fusion 4-cyl

I have twice now experienced a catastrophic engine/power train failure while at speed and in traffic. While driving and without any prior notice, my car immediately shuts down. During which the engine stalls, power brakes fail, and steering wheel locks. Luckily I was in a position in traffic where I could quickly engage the hazard lights and allow plenty of reaction time for other drivers to avoid me. After the car has stalled and lost all power, that is when the warning lights (engine and wrench) come on the dash. Each time it has taken no less than 5 minutes, while sitting in heavy traffic, to restart the car. When the car restarts it will drive like it did prior to the failure but the check engine light will remain on. This time I was able to bring the car to the local Ford service department to have them diagnose the problem. After a full day of trying to recreate the issue (25 mile test drive) their recommendation was to take the car and continue to drive as normal until it happens again. After researching this site and several others, I have found that I am not the only Fusion owner who has experienced this problem. I brought several documents to prove the issue has been recognized by Ford (csp 13N03) and there is a fix for the problem. Due to the bureaucratic nature of the conflictual relationship between the automotive industry and government entities, I am now left with a blunt refusal to remedy the issue with my car from the Ford dealership because I do not own a 2010 Fusion but rather a 2009. A model year prior to what Ford recognizes has issues but I in fact have twice experienced the exact symptoms that Ford outlined in their csp 13N03 document. At the end of the day I still have a very unsafe vehicle that is not fit to be on public roads because of the mass safety risk it poses to it's occupants (my children) and other motorists.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 262014

Fusion 4-cyl

2009 Ford Fusion - while driving, all of the lights on the instrument panel lit up. Driver pulled over to safe area & shut off vehicle. Vehicle would not restart. Lights, radio and fan still worked. Vehicle was taken to garage for assessment & repairs - the main power control module and the transmission control module were bad, battery was at 9 instead of 12 - all component's needed to be replaced.

- Factoryville, PA, USA

Nov 302012

Fusion

I'm getting a check engine light and a wrench symbol on my dashboard. When I take it to get checked, it says 'faulty throttle body' or throttle control actuator. This causes my Ford Fusion to go into 'limp home' mode. This is a mode that causes that car to accelerate no more than 20 miles an hour. The problem with this is that it happens when I'm in the middle of traffic, traveling at speeds of 55-70 miles an hour. When this happens, I fear for my life. When I contact auto care centers, they all tell me that this is a problem that has to be handled by the dealership. When I contact the dealership, they don't know what I'm talking about. I think that this throttle body is defective and after some online research, I see that I'm one of many Ford owners that this has happened to. I would like a them recall this defective auto part. I hope no one has died from their car suddenly going into 'limp home' mode.

- Garden City, GA, USA

May 122014

Fusion 4-cyl

The error code for my car indicated there was problem with the secondary air injection pump and the dealership ordered the part. When I went to have the part put on, I was advised I not only needed to replace the secondary air injection pump, but the air valve as well. Since I was last there other customers were experiencing the same problem. And this problem was occurring because water was some how getting into the secondary air injection pump and working its way up to the air valve. Therefore, they both need to be replaced and it would cost $700 plus fix. My concern is how is the water getting into the pump in the first place (is this a manufacturer defect?). and if it is, what is going to keep water from getting into the pump in the future?

- Mckeesport, PA, USA

Dec 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

Replaced vehicle battery on 12/30/2013. Check engine light came on before the car was even removed off of the auto center premises. Service center ran vehicle diagnostics check and reported P2112 error indicating an issue with throttle body. Ford dealer ship said the throttle body needs to be replaced which isn't cheap. Faulty electronic throttles are causing these problems.

- Novi, MI, USA

Aug 252012

Fusion

I had a history of recurring problems with my 2009 Fusion. The battery died over and over again, causing me to finally replace it. The car constantly threw errors regarding low tire pressure. But the largest problem happened when we were driving down a two-lane highway at roughly 55 mph and the steering wheel suddenly became unresponsive and locked, causing us to hit first the concrete divider on one side of the highway and ricochet across and hit the metal safety rail on the other side. The car was unresponsive to braking. The car hit head-on both times and was completely totaled. I remember frantically trying to open the doors because I was sure was about to explode. This is an incredibly frightening experience for me because there was literally nothing we could have done to prevent it. We weren't speeding. There was no inclement weather. No one was distracted by their phone or the radio. No one fell asleep. A driver behind us who stopped described how the car just suddenly veered out of control. It is difficult to describe the terror you feel when you are behind the wheel of a car that has completely stopped responding to anything you do. It is scary to think how easily we could have crashed through the metal guardrail and fallen to our deaths, yet there isn't even a recall in effect. I am so extremely lucky that no other car was involved in the accident, but this is incredibly dangerous.

- Taylor, MI, USA

Aug 292012

Fusion

When driving at a normal speed, the idle of the car quickly drops and you are unable to maintain your speed. You immediately are forced to stop the car, turn it off and let it sit to reset it's self where ever on the road you are. This has happen randomly last few weeks. Just a few days ago it got increasingly worse. Was entering highway off an exit trying to merge. Was unable to get the speed because the idle dropped. Luckily had just enough time to get to shoulder to sit and wait. Had it been few seconds longer would of merged with highway traffic and then car would of came to a quick halt. The diagnosis to this problem the throttle body went bad.

- Willow Street, PA, USA

May 042011

Fusion 6-cyl

There's was a fire that started on electrical wiring leading to my right front wheel on my 2009 Ford Fusion SE V6 I think it was cause by the cruise control system that Ford has been having problem with I was driving on the interstate when the fire happen the minneapolis fire dept told me to have it inspected at a Ford dealership.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA