Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion brakes problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Dec 172014

I had a problem with my power steering wheel wit a Ford Fusion 2010 I investigate end found that 2009 to 2011 have a power steering wheel problems that cost 1600 to fix it there's 1000600 complains about this and Ford needs to change all the power steering wheels end there's being a lot of accidents when people are driving on the freeway when the power steering brake down they should make Ford fix this problem like they made Chrysler I don't know know how much people are going to die until you guys fix this.

- Richmond, CA, USA

Nov 172014

Fusion 6-cyl

This is 3rd incident. Daughter driving vehicle on interstate approx 75mph. After 1 hr of driving, steering got stiff, advance trac light sensor appeared and "service power steering". she slowed down and was able to exit the interstate safely and park the vehicle at a gas station. After turning off the vehicle and turning back on, power steering was completely out. "service power steering now." My husband went to pick up the vehicle and see if it needed to be towed back to dealer. Once the car sat for about an hour, my husband turned on the vehicle and steering was operational. He was able to drive the vehicle back to the dealer (an hour drive on interstate going 50mph). He noted that the steering would come and go - didn't matter what speed he was going- it was sporadic. Dealer recommends new power steering even though the power steering was replaced 2 years ago. They weren't sure if this would or would not happen again. Seems to be a Ford defective part (software issue or sensors) that hasn't been recalled yet so by replacing the module again may only be a band aid till a recall is made and a "fix" is made to this part. "advance trac sensor, ?torque sensor, etc.. seems like once the advance trac sensor is tripped, it's a domino effect and power steering sensor is somehow disabled. Ford already recalled other models with this epas for different defective sensors - not sure why the Ford Fusion haven't been recalled yet. Maybe they don't know the exact cause of the power steering failure"

- York, SC, USA

Nov 282014

Fusion 4-cyl

We were pulling out of a parking lot and a warning chimed to "service advancetrac" and, simultaneously, I lost power steering while trying to turn. We came to a red light so I tried shutting the car off. Upon restart, everything appeared to be working properly. However while driving home the warning came back on, and I continued to lose power steering at random times. Driving around curves was especially frustrating, since I would go into the curve without power steering, and it would sporadically resume function, causing me to run off the road twice. We have not driven the car since then.

- Lodge, SC, USA

Nov 132014

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving at about 25-30 miles per hour and got a flat tire. I stopped the car and changed the tire, but once I started driving the caution alarm came on and started flashing that the "electric power assisted steering" malfunctioned. It became difficult to steer the car. I almost ran off the road into a drainage canal trying to make a turn.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Nov 032014

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was going down the highway, my power steering failed. I was almost unable to turn into a parking lot to get the car off of the road. The messages on the dash read power steering fault and service advance trac. This seems to be a common problem with these type of cars. The replacement part is $1400 plus labor. Something needs to be done to get this recalled.

- Lettsworth, LA, USA

Nov 032014

Shortly after starting the car the power steering service and advance trak service announcements came on dash. We drove for another 10-min and then stopped the car. When we restarted the car, we had no power steering at all. Powering off the car and trying to restart has not restored any power steering capability and the advance trak and power steering service warning display constantly now. The car is undriveable.

- Oceanside, CA, USA

Nov 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

Drove 120+ miles on interstate, parked car for approximately 30 minutes. Restarted and noticed warning light on dash, later determined it was "advancetrac" light. Drove 2 miles at 45 to 50 mph, car pulled extremely hard to the right. Stopped and cut off car to check tires, they were ok but noticed on dash readout was "service advancetrac and service power steering now." Restarted car and had no power steering. Extremely hard to drive but managed to get to Ford dealership; they said that the steering gear needed replacing at a cost of $2,249.27. Was out of town and couldn't leave it over the weekend so they reset fault code and I drove back home; power steering worked and no warning lights or readout on dash.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

May 162014

Fusion 4-cyl

I had my daughter and 4 month old grandson with me. We drove 7 miles to town to go to grocery store with no car troubles. Parked and went into store upon returning and starting my vehicle it started dinging at me and I didn't know why until I tried to pull out and had no power steering. At this point I noticed I had 2 messages "service advanctrac" and "power steering assist fault". I looked under the hood for my power steering fluid only to discover that I had none and that the car had electronic power steering. I shut the car off and restarted both messages went away and car ran fine. In July it happened again and this time I was out of state, 5 hrs from home, on the freeway heading home when I had to pull off and shut the car down and restart it then I made it home. In September it happened again and this time my daughter had my car coming home from the grocery store in town with her 8 month old son coming up a hill out of town limits. She shut it down and restarted then made home. Now its October and on Sunday the 26th I drove to town for church with my foster son and the car ran fine. When I left church I started the car and both messages appeared again but shutting off the car would not fix it. I had to drive home with no power steering. My husband disconnected the battery for 1/2 hr and that didn't fix it either. I have been researching and found that this is a problem in the 2010-2012 Ford Fusion and its a costly problem that I cant pay for so now my car has to sit and I have no means of transportation, especially since I live in the country with no public transportation. Please help!!

- Big Springs, WV, USA

Aug 012014

Fusion 4-cyl

The electric power assisted steering (epas) suddenly fail while driving, resulting in increased steering effort and at times it's will turn way to easy.

- Holt, MI, USA

Sep 292014

While driving car on interstate 85 near auburn Alabama in a construction zone on un even pavement my car suddenly lost power steering. Light came on and says service power steering now along with service advance trac. I was able to get it under control with out incident, but this poses a serious safety hazard.

- Buford, GA, USA

Sep 192014

Fusion 6-cyl

As I was parking my car, the service advancetrac warning message and service power steering message appeared on the dash and I lost power steering. I almost slammed into another car as a lady was attempting to exit the car. Luckily my brakes still worked. I see there are a lot of other 2010 Fusion owners who are experiencing the same problems. My vehicle has 77,000 miles on it currently and that seems to be in the same range as the other owners at the time of their steering failures. Ford really needs to make a recall on this before someone is seriously injured or, worse, killed.

- Fort Scott, KS, USA

Aug 152014

Just purchased used 2010 Ford Fusion SE (6cyl). After 2 days of driving, was on the interstate driving approximately 75 mph and the advance trac light came on. I noticed the power steering was getting stiff. Shortly after a "service power steering" message appeared and it was extremely difficult for me to control my vehicle. I was able to safely pull off to an exit and turned off the vehicle. After about a minute, I turned the vehicle back on.the advance trac light sensor was off but the message appears "service power steering now". the steering wheel was completely locked up and I was unable to drive the vehicle. The dealer I bought this vehicle from towed the vehicle back to their lot and had the problem diagnosed. They were told by Ford that the electric power steering had to be "reset". they "reset" the power steering, the message was cleared and the steering was good. After 2 weeks of driving, again I was on the same interstate going 75 mph and the advance trac light appeared with the message "service power steering." Luckily, I was near an exit and was able to safely park my vehicle at a gas station. The dealer again towed the vehicle back to their shop and is waiting to figure out what to do. I find this extremely dangerous and I'm surprised that a recall hasn't been made for this issue on the Ford Fusion.if you google the problem, you will see multiple forums with people complaining of same issue but all the repairs were different on their Ford Fusion. Either the module was replaced or the power steering rack and pinion was replaced. Of course, none are within warranty and were pretty costly.I saw that a massive recall has been made for this issue in the Ford escapes. I'm not sure if Ford is waiting for multiple fatalities to occur before they address this issue. I hope my complaint helps.please Ford... issue recall for the Ford Fusion power steering!

- York, SC, USA

Sep 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving under normal conditions, the power steering system suddenly failed. Messages stating "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" as well. Great difficulty turning on the windy road with four kids in car. Found numerous complaints online. See other Ford vehicles were recalled for same problem. Why not Fusion?

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Aug 082014

Fusion 4-cyl

Electronic power steering failure; never worked again. The car makes a loud popping/ clicking when turning sharply at lower speeds, especially when turning right.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

May 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on a state road at a rate of approximately 55 mph, as I was slowing down to enter an exit the power steering failed and I almost crashed into the cement barrier as the steering wheel locked up and was extremely difficult to turn.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Jun 212014

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving 45mph then suddenly my steering wheel started going all over car lost control and steering was uncontrollable and really hard. I had to drive really slow to get back home.

- Edinburg , TX, USA

May 302014

I bought my 2010 Ford Fusion sel V6 with 12000 miles and drive it daily 120 miles/day to work. It has 106,000 miles now. Last week, for the third time, the "service power steering now" and "service advancetrac" indicators flashed on while driving 70 mph at night, using cruise control. Arrived home safely, next morning, no power steering. Drove car to Ford dealership, who hooked it up to diagnostic machine, and cleared messages, power steering now functioning again. The second time this occurred the dealership looked at something to do with the wheel on the passenger side. I have not used cruise control with this car since the second episode, nearly a year ago. Last week, when the third failure occurred, my friend was driving the car and had activated the cruise control, and I had warned him that I believed there was some relationship factor with using cruise control and the loss of power steering. I drive quite roughly, aggressively, and have hit many bumps with no loss of power steering. During the first and second occurrence the cruise control was activated, a rough spot was encountered, and the "service power steering now -advancetrac" messages came on, with consequential loss of power steering. No mechanical work seems to matter, only effective action is clearing the messages and reestablishing power steering by hooking up to diagnostic machine. I believe it is a software glitch maybe involving a sensor. I am not a mechanic. Will the recall/replacement of throttle assembly solve this problem?? Ford needs to step up and respond to this problem.

- Gillespie, IL, USA

Apr 062014

I started my car then suddenly the laram appear as (service advance trac) however I didn't notice any change in my car, I had my steering working and my brakes fine, after that I went few miles than turned off the car, after that the alarm disappeared, after a while it appeared again and I continue my trip then parked the car and after 1:30 hours I turned on and the alarm disappeared and never appeared again till now which means after a day.

- Newyork, NY, USA

Oct 222013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving vehicle at various speeds from 25 mph to highway speeds of 55 mph, electric power steering periodically and suddenly cuts out, making steering difficult especially due to the suddenness and unexpectedness of these incidents. Incidents seem to occur when riding over a bump in the road and are typically noticed most frequently on highway on/off ramps.

- Havertown, PA, USA

Mar 072014

Started my car and everything was fine, within 45 seconds of driving my dash said service power steering now and then service advancetrac, with the advancetrac light coming on. As soon as this happened my power steering was completely gone and I could hardly turn. It has never worked since and whenever I start the car it says service power steering now shortly followed by service advancetrac.

- Trenton, MI, USA