Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion brakes problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Dec 172015

The master brake cylinder/hydraulic pump and control module became faulty and failed at roughly 43000 miles. My mechanic informed me that this is typically a part that should not fail with this few miles and was suspicious when he called the local Ford dealer and they had over 10 in stock. He informed me that in his 20+ years he has not seen dealers have that many high dollar parts in stock and advised I file a claim with Ford motor. I did file a claim with Ford motor but was advised they were not aware of any wider issues with the master brake cylinder/hydraulic pump and control module on my make and model year. Ford motor case numbers- cas-8423129 and cas-8428833 I noticed that my master break cylinder failed when I started my car one morning and the break pedal went all the way to the floor. I had my car repaired at my local Ford dealer, covert Ford in austin, tx.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Aug 042015

In Aug. 2010, while leaving home on our canyon road, and on a downhill incline, I stopped without incident to let a couple of cars pass on a narrow stretch. After they passed I tapped the accelerator and slowly (10-15mph) rolled into a 90 degree downhill turn. When I applied the brakes there was no response whatsoever. I quickly pumped the stood on the brake pedal with no results. I had only 2-3 seconds to react and as I began to go straight through the turn I jerked the wheel to the right and rode an earthen bank up and over a boulder that stopped the car. The undercarriage was badly damaged, totaling the car. Had I gone straight another 4 feet, I would have gone off of a cliff and onto a highway. The car was always perfectly serviced and had no problems previously. Ford did not respond to my complaint.

- Ojai, CA, USA

Jun 012016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the brakes failed to engage twice while in a residential driveway. The failure also occurred while driving approximately 20 mph and the brake pedal did not fully function without being pumped and applying pressure. The failure was reported to the manufacturer and the contact was to schedule a repair appointment with the dealer to determine a repair solution. The approximate failure mileage was 27,000.

- Elmsford, NY, USA

Jun 262016

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 20 mph, the brake pedal was depressed, but failed to operate normally. The contact stated that the brake pedal was very hard. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Elmsford, NY, USA

Apr 232016

Vehicle was stopped in front of a residence and in park with foot on the brake pedal. Suddenly and without warning the brake pedal went to the floor. Upon inspection, there was brake fluid inside the engine compartment and dripping on the street below. Vehicle was deemed undriveable and towed to the mechanic. Problem was diagnosed as a brake line failure where the line itself was intact, but the rubber hose had come loose from the crimped metal fitting. Attached photo show the section of hose that had come loose

- Rocklin, CA, USA

Mar 112016

City street the car became undrivable had it taken to a shop.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 142015

No one can fix brakes.

- Jacksboro, TX, USA

Jan 232016

The brake pedal went to the floor and became spongy the breaks for them changed and cannot believe the brakes and it appears that the ABS control or under the hood has a stuck valve which causes the brakes not to work

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 012015

Unusual wheel vibration on 2010 Ford Fusion continuous since summer 2015.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Oct 292015

When applying the brakes at driving speed (30 mph) on a city street the brake pedal suddenly went to the floor with no resistance and no braking action. The car was stopped using the emergency hand brake. After turning the car off and restarting it, the brakes worked normally. Car was towed to a Ford dealer for service. The computer brake control unit was replaced by the dealer after reviewing the codes. Part number is be5Z-2C219. Cost was $1120. Ford moco says they will not contribute anything to cost reduction and they don't consider it enough of a safety problem to use any customer sat program to help with the cost. They also say no recall is applicable. Car mileage is 55,763. 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid which has always been dealer services at regular intervals.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Jun 202015

I own stated Ford. Driving on highway rear brake failure. Towed to repair garage and rear rotors and pads replaced. Cost $380 dollars. Only have 32,000 miles. We were lucky we were able to pull over to the side of road. This a safety hazard. Today my friend called and had the same problem. $360 repairs. Rotors and pads replace. Both incident on major highways..have repair bill and old parts. Don't have knowledge to send info as requested.. I am 90 yrs old. Thank you.

- Burke, VA, USA

Sep 232015

There is a problem with my power steering. It failed on me when parallel parking. An error referring to advancetrac appeared on the dash. I had to turn my car off in order to reset it, but I fear it may happen when driving on a freeway.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Aug 242015

Car brakes are squishy and pedal is easily pushed to floor when braking at high speed or in panic stop. Feels like the brake booster is not operating properly. Took to Ford and they advised it was operating properly. Still does not feel right and takes too long to stop.

- New Rochelle, NY, USA

Jan 142015

Fusion 4-cyl

As has been documented dozens of times on several websites, I too, like others, experienced total brake failure by my 2010 Ford Fusion. Like other documented complaints, I too found that, in a situation where sudden braking is required, I experienced total brake failure. Normal braking on roads and streets has not resulted in brake failure for me; however, in the one situation where sudden braking was required, my 2010 Ford Fusion -- fully serviced solely and regularly (each ~5000 miles) by Ford service technicians since its purchase new in 2009, now at 81,000 miles -- I experienced: 1) no braking, 2) no slowing down, 3) no front-end-of-the-vehicle-diving-down when brakes were applied (inertia), 4) no skid marks on the dry pavement -- just utter and complete failure by the braking system in my 2010 Ford Fusion as I drove around a building (15-20 mph) and suddenly saw, braked, & hit a stationary pick-up truck on the road. At the scene of the crash, upon attaching the 2010 Ford Fusion with chains, the tow truck driver mentioned that he saw brake failure. Following the crash, I had a mechanic go with me to the salvage yard where my auto insurance company had the 2010 Ford Fusion towed; the mechanic did a 15-20 minute inspection, with a salvage yard employee watching, which indicated that, yes, indeed, the brakes had failed before there was the collision (the area of collision on the front right destroyed the ABS area). While there did not appear to be any deficiencies in the brake lines, which were checked regularly by the Ford service technicians, there was failure involving the master brake cylinder at the time of sudden braking. Rather than being dry or dusty, the mbc was covered completely in goo. Not a sign of safety or properly-working parts. Despite these truths, my insurance company tells me I have to pay, since there has been no recall issued. Why not yet"?"

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Nov 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

I park on an incline so I normally set my parking brake for safety reasons. November 2014, temperatures had dipped below freezing and I went to release the parking brake to go to work, and I could tell that it did not release all the way. As I was driving I could tell something was holding me back because the car would not accelerate properly. Made it to the stop light leaving my neighborhood and the rear right brake seized up entirely. It sounded like I was trying to do a burnout and it had the worst smell. I immediately called the dealership and told them what had happened and a tow truck was called. As they were working on it all they could find wrong was that the right rear brake pad had worn down to nothing and was grinding on my rotor. Changed brake pads and they sent me on my way after dropping about $400 on the repair. Not even two days later the temps dipped below freezing and the parking brake stuck again. For the next two months I did not use my parking brake and had intermittent problems only when the temperature had dipped below freezing. As of today January 2015, parking brake has not been used but right rear brake has seized up, yet again, the past two days as the temperature has been below freezing. I am terrified to drive this car in fear of the brakes completely failing and causing a collision. I have children and this has been a serious problem. This needs to be investigated.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 012014

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While stopped, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle stalled and the check engine and service engine soon warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the fuel line and flap needed to be cleaned. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. In addition, while driving at an unknown speed, the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond without warning. As a result, the vehicle struck a curb and the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 34,927.

- Elkhorn, NE, USA

Oct 142014

Fusion 4-cyl

Rear brake (passenger side) seized up causing rapid brake pad wear, this vehicle has had the rear brakes replaced 4times since new vehicle purchase.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 012014

Brake caliper slide will freeze up and grind on brakes and rotors. New brakes and pads were put on 1 year ago and the left rear caliper has completely frozen up. From doing online research this is a severe problem with this make and model and should be investigated.

- Hartford, SD, USA

Aug 112014

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was cresting a hill, the engine briefly seized, the power steering failed, and the advancetrac light came on. Everything returned to normal two seconds later, except for the advancetrac light. The light turned off after the next start. Multiple times thereafter, when the engine has repeated stops/starts in a short span of time, the advancetrac light comes on and there is a loss of power steering. The power steering returns after idling for a couple of minutes.

- Norristown, PA, USA

Aug 072014

Fusion 4-cyl

The brakes on my 2010 Ford Fusion go to the floor and I need to pump them continuously to get my car to stop. When it first happened I took it to a shop and they said it did not have brake fluid. I had my brakes flushed and brake fluid added. The brakes were good for about two weeks and then they again went to the floor. I took them into a brake shop and they did a reverse bleed, checked my pads, my ABS system, my master cylinder, flushed them again and did not find any leaks or any problems. My brakes worked for about two days and then it happened again. Now it is a daily occurrence and I do not know what to do other than replace the M/C which I have been told is not bad. No leaking behind it or around it. I am at a loss. Something is wrong with my brakes and I have read that other 2010 Ford Fusion owners have had this problem.

- Antioch, CA, USA