2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 10 of 32)

Oct 112013

Fusion

Was driving about 35 going to make a left hand turn and wrench light came on car sounded as it was getting no gas and stalled as turning in. I was almost in an accident.

- Concord , OH, USA

Oct 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

Traveling at approximately 25 mph, the engine appeared to be quitting. I punched the accelerator a number of times, however, the car didn't respond and the engine simply quit. When attempting to restart the car (after having had to flag cars to go around me to avoid a rear-end collision), it initially would not re-start. I waited a few minutes and the car started. So far it has run fine, but having this same issue with throttle body on a previous vehicle (Toyota Camry), I know that this is what the problem is and that it is only a matter of time before the engine will quit again while in motion or idling. I am now afraid to take the vehicle onto the highway for fear of a serious accident. Seeing numerous posting on this issue of the Ford Fusion throttle body, it is apparent that the company needs to issue a recall.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Oct 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving at highway speed when vehicle died, having complete loss of power. Wrench light and check engine light both came on. There was no shoulder to pull over onto and many large 18 wheelers driving by. I pulled over in someone's driveway, turned the vehicle completely off, inspected under the hood and around the vehicle with no findings, and then attempted to restart. The vehicle restarted but had difficulty turning over. I continued to drive for approx 5 more miles when the incident occurred a second time. On the second time the vehicle had loss of power but the engine remained running. There was no throttle response, from depressing the gas pedal. Once I pulled over on the shoulder the engine began rocking the car violently. I immediately turned off the vehicle and let it rest for 5 minutes. I restarted the car once again, this time without difficulty and drove it straight to an auto shop. The mechanic performing work on the car states the error code was P2111 and was the throttle body causing the problem.

- Searcy, AR, USA

Oct 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

While exiting a highway at nearly 60mph my cars transmission system went unresponsive. The motor was still running, but the car was coasting. I put on my hazard lights. I had a semi truck next to and behind me. I was nearly hit while trying to move to the side of the road. While stopped on the side of the road the car started lurching violently. I shut the car off and had it towed to my Ford dealer. My dealer told me the car needed a new throttle body part which was no longer covered under warrant since my 3 years was up 3 months prior. When I looked up the issue online it appears this is a constant complaint and problem. Why isn't this a recalled part. It nearly killed us. I have a 12 year old son and no longer feel safe having this car. What's worse is this problem was known prior to my being sold the car in the first place. I wanted to buy american and have had good luck with Ford in the past, but they decided saving a few bucks was worth more than my and my child's safety. How is this legal. If nothing else car companies should be required to disclose this type of problem to potential buyers..

- Kettering , OH, USA

Oct 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car stalled then died started again and did the same thing in 200feet three times then I had it towed.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Sep 302013

Fusion

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion on an elevated portion of an interstate highway which does not have any shoulders. As I was passing a truck, I suddenly lost power. I moved over to the driving lane right in front of the truck. Fortunately the driver was alert. My car quickly lost power. I coasted to a spot were an on-ramp merges onto the highway. This spot was marginally safe with cars speeding by me on both sides. City police came within 5 minutes and protected me with their flashing lights and in 10 more minutes I was towed to my mechanic. They found that the throttle body was frozen open at the time of the incident. This cost $433 to replace. This incident could have ended very badly. I was truly terrified. Ford needs to recall the 2010 Ford Fusion before someone is killed.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Oct 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

On my way home from work while going 65 mph on I-65 while in the far left lane, car decelerated to 30mph and began shaking. Had to pull over and avoid being hit by 4 semis and 5 cars, thankfully managed to get in median, just in time. Car had to be restarted which it did fine, but later happened again. Called dealership and they said to bring it in that it is a known failure with a diagnosis of throttle body failure!! please do something about this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

We were driving down a busy road when we suddenly lost acceleration and could not move to safety. The wrench light came on and we had to get towed. We later found out that it was the throttle body, which was a common, known problem with this particular model.

- Canonsburg, PA, USA

Jul 182012

Fusion

My 2010 Ford Fusion lurched forward and then stalled while on the highway driving with the cruise control on. The service engine light and a wrench appeared on the dash. I was losing speed and had to get to the side of the highway causing the semi and other vehicles behind me to slam on their brakes... the semi narrowly missed me. Once to the side of the highway I turned my car off waited a second and restarted it. It ran fine for about 5 miles and it did it again. It did this a total of 4 times on the way to work and 5 on the way home. I took the car in to a service center and the code they got was "P2111 throttle actuator stuck open". I looked online and found that 2011 and 12 Fusion had been recalled for this problem but not the 2010 but see that many 2010 owners have had this same issue as I have had. Why are 2010 Fusion not being recalled for a bad throttle body? it is a very scary and serious problem and only a matter of time before someone is injured or even killed. I was lucky.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Oct 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was approximately 2 miles from my starting point traveling at a speed of 55 mph. Suddenly, the 2010 Ford Fusion lurched while shifting into overdrive. When it lurched all ability to accelerate was lost. With cars on each side, I had no ability to accelerate; I lost speed quickly and worked my way to the side of the road (very dangerous situation). I immediately noticed the ┐┐wrench symbol warning light on the dashboard, but did not know what that warning signified. During the loss of acceleration, the car did not lose power steering and it remained running, but the engine was sputtering and not idling at a steady pace. When I got to the side of the road, I put the car in park and tried to ┐┐rev┐Ł up the engine, but I had absolutely no control of the throttle. The wrench light was still on. I then turned off the ignition and waited about 1 minute then restarted. The car again had no acceleration ability and sputtered which sounded very much like a cough. I turned the car off again and called for assistance. Approximately 5 minutes later, when assistance arrived, I started the car again. At this time, the wrench warning light was off and the car appeared to idle normally. Upon research, I found that the wrench symbol means: Throttle control/transmission problem. The driver of the car should contact the authorized dealer for service as soon as possible.

- Edwardsville, IL, USA

Sep 292013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was at a stop light. The light turned green and I began to accelerate to about 10 mph when the car suddenly began running rough and I could not increase speed. It slowed down to about 3 mph and the wrench light came on and no matter how far I pushed the pedal it would not move past 700 RPM. The car behind me which had seen me start to go assumed I was going to keep accelerating and had to brake hard to avoid running into the back of me. I sat in the left lane until the right cleared so I could literally roll it onto the shoulder to avoid getting rear ended by traffic. I shut the car off and re-started it. It seemed to work fine after that. The next day, it did it again to my wife. She was starting to accelerate, the wrench light came on and no power, gas pedal was inoperative and it was running rough. This repeated itself several times more that day. Did it again and it seemed it was increasing in frequency. Took the car to the dealership and they said the throttle body failed and that it is a common occurrence. It had an error code of P2111. This part should not fail so easily and it nearly caused my car to get rear ended. I did a little research while at the dealership because I felt that this part failing so early and with so little mileage (which most is easy highway) was odd. I come to find out that this is not an isolated incident and it seems more and more are failing. Ford even acknowledged they had made some defective ones. This part should be recalled.

- Coral Springs, FL, USA

Jul 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was going down the freeway at approximately 65 mph, and out of nowhere my car lost power and began to decrease speed. I tried to press the accelerator and there was no response. I pulled to the side of the road and put the car in park and it was very rough idling. I turned off the car, waited a few seconds and turned the car back on and it seemed fine. Now this has happened to me at least 20 times in the last few months, at random times and speeds. The scariest one for me was in a very busy intersection and my car did this 4 times trying to get through the intersection. I would really like to see this get fixed as soon as possible before someone really does get hurt.

- Livingston, TX, USA

Oct 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car lost power and engine seem to idle three times within a 4 mile trip. I took the car to a repair shop and was told that the "throttle actuator control system" was stuck open (error code P2111). The mechanic told me that Ford had put out bulletins in the past referencing this problem. He also said the replacement part was difficult to find because stocks were low due to this frequent problem with other Ford Fusion owners.

- Madison, WI, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion

I was driving on a highway going about 40 and the car stalled and lost all power with no response to pressing the pedal. It was idling very rough and the wrench light and check engine light came on. I shut the car off and restarted and it seemed fine until I got on the interstate. While driving on the interstate it stalled around 15 times in 20 miles. It stalled going 75 mph a few times and also stalled countless times in traffic when I was stopped and tried to accelerate. This was very scary and is an extremely dangerous issue. On the way home I experienced the same problem and rode with my hazards on in fear of being rear-ended.

- White House, TN, USA

Sep 182013

Fusion

Vehicle sputters stops and then can be restarted...only to do it again. I had the fuel line cleaned and it did no good..took to a dealer and lo and behold P2111...I received part today and will be hopefuly getting it done tomorrow...im out $400!!!

- Columbia , SC, USA

Sep 302013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while accelerating from a stop sign, the engine stalled as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was restarted and began to perform normally. The contact stated that the issue was recurring. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 79,000.

- Avella , PA, USA

Sep 182012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was on the highway driving and noticed that my engine light came on as well as a golden wrench. Suddenly, I noticed that the car began to slow down and as I pressed the gas, the car would not speed up. I was on a 4 lane highway and so happen to be in the far left lane during afternoon traffic. It was a very scary moment. I finally was able to get to the emergency lane without causing or getting in an accident. Once I came to a stop, the car seemed to shake. I cut the car off and waited about two mins and started it back. I stayed in the right lane as I traveled home but about 10 miles later the car did the same thing. Today which is the 2nd of October the car did the exact same thing, coming from my newborn daughter doctor's appointment. This is almost gave me a heart attack because my child was in the car with me. Very dangerous and serious problem!!!!

- Covington, GA, USA

Sep 082013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 46,000. The VIN was not available.

- Granbury, TX, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

While traveling to work vehicle lost all power. Nearly rear ended as there was no place to pull of as car coasted to a stop. Looked online to see if this is a problem with this car as I purchased it 4 months ago. Numerous complaints and close calls reported. The throttle bodies are on backorder as there are so many failures being reported. This a serious problem and will lead to accidents.

- Adrian, MI, USA

Oct 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was making a right hand turn on a red light. I came to a complete stop. Checked both ways & proceeded to make my turn (when making a turn on red, you need to be able to accelerate in order to effectively make the turn, obviously). My car lost all throttle power and response to the engine. My mph dropped drastically low and car started to violently shutter back and fourth. I was left like a sitting duck in the middle of the lane. Two cars swerved out of their way, almost hitting me in the process (as this was a 4 lane road/highway). I had children in the car at the time also. I restarted the vehicle, wrench icon cleared and car drove as normal. However, 3.5 miles later car does the same exact thing. The throttle body is defective on this vehicle. I have called Ford and explained it is a safety hazard and they refuse to do anything about it. My 3yr warranty has expired which voids my warranty out even though I have not even hit 36,000 miles on the vehicle yet! no recalls are being issued. No help/assistance is being given to customers with this similar issue. Ford estimated me at around $450-500 for replacement! please somebody help. I am extremely hard-working and thought I bought a reliable vehicle (at least for a while)...did not expect to have a $500 repair before 36K miles even hits! it is 100% a safety hazard, no matter even if Ford claims it is not... "the car is supposed to be able to idle still and be able to move off the road safely in the event this occurs"..... quite difficult to believe when the car is shaking back and forth violently. Please help.

- Joliet, IL, USA