2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 21 of 32)

Fusion 4-cyl

Car stalls while driving at any speed.

- Wixom, MI, USA

Jun 292013

Fusion

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion on the interstate at approximately 65 mph when without warning the car began to jerk and decelerate. A wrench light came on. I was not able to accelerate at all. I was able to get the car safely off of the road at which point it shut off. Upon restarting the engine the car continued to jerk and the engine light came on. I waited approximately 10 minutes and restarted the car again. This time the engine light stayed on but the car was drivable and I was able to make it home. I had my car to the Ford dealership July 1 and was told that the car needed a new throttle body which the dealership said was on backorder. Upon learning this, I researched this issue on the internet and found that others have had this some thing happen to them. This is a major safety hazard and it needs to be corrected before someone is not able to get their car off of the road when this situation occurs.

- Saint Marys, OH, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

My wife was driving the car and it lost power and as she described "it started to buck". there was little response and the orange wrench light came on. She turned off the car and started it back up. The car was fine and a couple miles down the road the check engine light came on and it did it again. She turned the car off and started it again. She was able to get it home. I looked at it the following day and contacted my local Ford dealer. Speaking to a technician, he told me a diagnostic probably wouldn't bring anything up since the lights were now off and the computer had reset itself. On Sunday June 30th, 2013, I was driving approximately 55 mph when I pressed the accelerator to switch lanes and there was no response from the engine. The orange wrench light came on and my wife told me that that's exactly what had happened to her. Fortunately, there was little traffic and I was able to coast to a nearby parking lot. I turned the car off and let it sit for about 5 minutes. When I started it back up, it idled rough and quickly smoothed out. It sounds like there are many similar issues with the throttle body on this vehicle. I stopped reading after 55 reports all listing the same issue. A recall should be placed on this part since it causes a high hazard/major safety issue.

- Pawtucket , RI, USA

Apr 172012

Fusion

My 2010 Fusion has a defective throttle body. I have contacted Ford about this issue and I get the answer that its my problem not theirs. I have been waiting for a part to fix this that has been on back order since April but of course this will be at my expense. I see that this problem is effecting hundreds of other 2010 Fusion and would like to know why this would not reach recall status? it also will accelerate on its own which in its self is a major safety concern.

- Georgetown , KY, USA

Jun 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on interstate highway @ 70 mph with cruise control engaged, without warning, the cruise control disengaged, the engine decelerated suddenly, and the 'wrench' warning light on the instrument panel illuminated. I coasted to the shoulder of the road. The engine was running at very low RPM (500 - 600 RPM). The car shuddered while the A/T was in drive - the shudder stopped when the A/T was shifted to N or park. The engine speed did not respond to pressing the accelerator. Cut off engine and shut off all electric accessories. Car restarted and ran the remainder of the day. Incident repeated itself the following day at exactly the same location (and thus under nearly identical driving conditions - throttle, torque, speed, engine RPM, etc). I replaced electronic throttle body (etb) based on recommendations from mechanic, Ford dealer service desk, and numerous anecdotal accounts found on search of internet of nearly identical episodes with other Fusion owners. The etb I removed from the car had a uniform layer of dark combustion deposits on the butterfly.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Jun 292013

Fusion 6-cyl

As I was driving to the store my car stalled, there was a complete loss of power. A wrench symbol appeared as well as the check engine light. After restarting the vehicle I was able to move another 200 feet before it happened again, repeatedly I would need to put it in park, shut off the vehicle and begin again. This has happened about 10 times since last night. I am not unable to safely travel to work or any other location due to this situation.

- Dublin, OH, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down highway at 65mph when the engine jerked and car stopped accelerating. Luckily there was no one to the right of me so I was able to pull over. Once on the side of the road, the car started to jerk violently even while in park. I had it towed to a Ford dealership and was told the throttle body assembly was defective. I could have died!

- Andover, MN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving on a highway at about 45 mph the gas pedal stopped working. The car engine remained running but would not respond to the pedal. The car slowed and luckily could be pulled to the side of the road. When the car slowed to a stop it started bucking. After turning the engine off, the car was able to be restarted and ran ok for the rest of the trip to work. The car had the same failure on the way home from work and on the way to the dealership the next morning. The deal service has diagnosed the problem as a bad throttle body and that the part was on back order.

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jun 262013

Fusion 4-cyl

Since I have owned the car it would occasionally fail to start on the first turn of the key. The engine would crank for 5+ seconds until I turned the key to the "off" position, removed the key and tried again. It would always start on the second try... just recently (beginning of June 2013) I noticed my tachometer was going from 7000 to 4000rpm at stop signs and traffic lights but the car never stalled. On 6/26/13 after accelerating from a stop sign to about 30 mph the car lost power, the wrench light came on but the car did not stall. I gradually pulled off to the side of the road with my hazards on trying not to cause alarm to the vehicles behind me. I put the car in park, turned the ignition key off and removed the key for 10-20 seconds and restarted the car. Everything seemed to be ok so I drove the car home. On 6/27/13 I drove my car approximately 100 miles to my destination without any problems but on the way back I was 20 miles into my return trip and driving at approximately 65mph on the garden state parkway when I experienced the same exact problem from the day before (yesterday). This time I was in heavy rush hour traffic coming out of nyc. I was very fortunate to get to the shoulder of the gsp. Again I waited 10-20 seconds and restarted. The idle was rough for a few seconds but was fine after that so I merged back onto the heavily congested road. After another 20-30 miles the car failed for the 3rd time. This time I was able to get to the shoulder easily because I stayed in the right lane knowing a power loss was just a matter of time. I have been fortunate so far because the car has started back up and it was still daylight. My fear is traveling at night on a road without a shoulder which I do a lot and not getting it started.

- Brick, NJ, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car started jerking and the throttle light and engine light came on. Lost power and acceleration. Had difficulty maneuvering it to the side of the road. Vehicle had to be towed to dealership where mechanic diagnosed the problem as failed throttle body assembly.

- Marietta, OH, USA

May 262013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 45 mph, the malfunction warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The contact was eventually able to be restarted and was driven to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Gardendale, AL, USA

Jan 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving to work when suddenly the car lost all forward power. I was in the middle of an intersection when the engine cut out, and a couple of people had to make some pretty severe emergency maneuvers to avoid accidents due to my almost-stalled car. I couldn't get any power out of it with the gas pedal. When I coasted off into someone's driveway, the car barely stayed running. It shook and missed like it didn't have enough air. There was a yellow wrench icon on, but no check engine light. I shut down and refired, and it ran perfectly. I took it to the local dealer, and they told me that there was no stored data to analyze, and that it didn't do it to them on the test drive. They said there wasn't a problem. 2 minutes of googling shows a huge problem with the throttle bodies on these cars. We need a recall!! what if people hadn't been paying attention when my car failed in the intersection? there could have been a big crash.

Apr 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion on the interstate, at approximately 70 miles per hour, when I started feeling it "surge". it was in cruise control at the time, and it felt like it was surging up a couple of mph over the set point, and then falling back a couple of mph below the set point. It was like the cruise was hunting for the set speed. Suddenly, there was a lurch and I lost all power from the engine. Cruise disconnected and I started coasting down rapidly. There was very nearly a rear-end collision with the guy behind me as I was losing speed so quickly. There was a yellow wrench icon lit on my dashboard, but no check engine light. I managed to cost over to the right shoulder. When I stopped and put it in park, the engine ran extremely roughly. It stumbled and missed like it wasn't getting any air. I shut the engine off, waited a minute, refired it, and it ran perfectly. We continued our trip and had it looked at when we got back. Or local Ford dealer said "there are no stored codes, it didn't do it for us, and there isn't anything wrong." This has happened several times to me and every time the dealer says the same thing. 2 minutes worth of googling shows that there seems to be a massive problem with the throttle bodies that Ford has on these cars. We need a recall! we could have been injured or killed in a wreck on the interstate when this happened.

Jun 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving in heavy city traffic at approximately 55 miles per hour, when the car suddenly lost all power. The engine felt "disconnected" from the transmission. I could push the gas pedal all I wanted, but there was no response from the engine. The car continued to roll under it's own momentum, but because of the sudden loss of power, I was very nearly rear-ended by the car behind me. I was in the left lane, and because I was coasting down to a stop quickly, my only choice was to pull into the center turn lane of the 5-lane road. Traffic continued to speed past me as I stopped in the center lane. As I stopped, the engine ran incredibly roughly. It was stumbling and missing like it wasn't getting enough air. There was a yellow wrench icon on my dashboard, but no "check engine light". I shut down, waited a minute, and refired the car. The car ran perfectly smoothly after that. I did some checking, and it appears to be a throttle body problem. It appears to be very widespread on 2010 and 2011 Ford's. please make them recall this. It's a huge safety concern. I'm lucky it was just me in the car, and I knew what to do. What if my wife and baby were in the car, and she wasn't as lucky" what if the guy behind me wasn't as quick on his brakes?"

Jun 082013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on the interstate at about 60 mph, my 2010 Ford Fusion unexpectedly lost power and suddenly slowed. It did not accelerate when I stepped on the gas, however, the engine was still running. I had to put on my emergency flashers and coast to pull off on the side of the road while other cars and trucks traveling fast were coming up on me. After I pulled off, I restarted the car and it ran okay for a while. However, the same thing has happened a total of 4 times. This is a major safety issue. I am afraid to drive the car until they figure out what the problem is.

- Greenlawn, NY, USA

Jun 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

2010 Ford Fusion sel 2.5L automatic purchased in yonge/steeles Ford Lincoln in Canada. During normal driving, wrench light will suddenly be on: - cannot accelerate, speed cannot go beyond 60km/H, RPM cannot go beyond 2000 - sometimes vehicle will suddenly loose power and slow down. Almost got rear-ended a few times. - managed to pull over, stop the car, and restart, sometimes the problem will disappear after restart, sometimes the problem comes back in a few minutes took my car to markville Ford Lincoln on June 20th, 2013, and they claimed it was fixed. On the report, it is said: "DS12 diagnose engine light concern, locate and repair wiring to accelerator, replace sensor" "ftp fuel injectors & throttle body service plus PCM reprogram" 5 days later on June 25, 2013, the exact same problem happened again. I was almost rear-ended, and my 3 year old son was sitting in the back of the car. Very frustrated and upset. Took the car to markville Ford Lincoln first thing in the morning on June 26, 2013, and the wrench light was on my way to the dealer. I did not shutdown the engine and put the car in parking at the dealer. After a while, the engine suddenly started to rev up and down between 1500 and 2200 RPM. Voiced the concern of the throttle body issue to the dealer as I have seen this issue discussed all over the internet. Dealer still claim it is a PCM issue. The car is still in the dealership right now. Called Ford Canada customer relationship, and they will contact markville Ford Lincoln. Sorry the address doesn't allow Canadian address. So I simply put New York state.

- Markham, NY, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving along on a neighborhood road when my car suddenly lost power and idled really rough. When I would press the gas pedal, nothing would happen. I was able to pull the car off to the side of the road due to very little traffic and cut the car off and then restarted it. It worked at that time, but since then has done this multiple times while driving. The last time this happened, it would happen everytime I started the car for about 4-5 times, before the car finally stayed on, and I was able to get home. Luckily each time this happened, traffic was slow, because this could have caused a serious accident. I have been looking into this situation and have found multiple other occurrences of this same problem happening all over the country, and have found out that it is the throttle body and the throttle actuator. Something needs to be done about this and quick before someone gets killed from this.

- Norman, OK, USA

Mar 212013

Fusion 6-cyl

My 2010 Fusion is experiencing the same loss of power issues (complete loss of accelerator response, followed by the wrench light appearing) related to the defective throttle body control. While sporadic at first, the frequency of the incidents has increased to where failure now happens almost every time the car is driven (the 25+ failures have occurred in all situations, at all speeds: At highway speeds, on side streets, accelerating up hills, pulling away from stoplights, etc). I have stopped driving the car because the last throttle failure occurred as I crossed a busy 4 lane highway and could've resulted in a deadly accident. When attempting to have the problem fixed in April, my local dealer claimed Ford had placed a "hold" on all throttle bodies and that a new design of the throttle body part was being shipped from the supplier in mid-May. (the dealer also informed me that, despite this being a part of the engine, the throttle body is not covered by the powertrain warranty.) when my "new" throttle body arrived at the dealership in mid-June and I came in to have the part replaced, I was told Ford had placed another "hold" on the part and my car could not be serviced at this time. If Ford will not fix this problem on their own, it is imperative the NHTSA protect consumers by forcing the company to address this problem and to do so at no cost to the car owners. For owners who are forced to drive this car, this is a life and death issue.

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Jun 252013

Fusion

Vehicle stalled, wrench light on dash lit. I went to side of road, depressed accelerator but engine did not respond. Idled only, idle was rough, engine jerked. After 2 minutes I turned engine off then started the engine with normal result, wrench light was off and vehicle idled normally. I drove 20miles home. Will take vehicle to dealer 6/26, I believe this is a dangerous occurrence as stalling at a higher speed in traffic could be deadly.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Jun 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

Driving down the highway I lost the ability to accelerate, and the car went to a quick decelerate. Luckily there was not much traffic, and I was able to safely pull to the side of the road. The car almost stalled once I got completely stopped. I turned the car off for about 30 seconds, and restarted it. It started up a little slow, but was quick to go back to normal. This was on Tuesday morning. On Friday afternoon the same symptoms (no acceleration, and a quick deceleration) but this time I was traveling approximately 60 mph in heavier traffic. I was in the left lane, and my only option was to pull off to the left, because I was not traveling fast enough to try and get through the traffic to the right. Turned it off, about a minute later I started it again, and I went on my way. Then this morning (06/25/13) it happened 2 times on my way to work. I have been driving in the right lane, just in case it happened again, and it is a good thing I did. I consider this to be a safety hazard, as traveling at high speeds, and not being able to safely get pulled over presents a lot of danger for myself and other drivers. I took my car to the repair shop to have them look at the code, and they told me it points to a throttle body issue. After reading numerous reports of similar situations and symptoms, I think this is something that needs to be addressed.

- Heartland, TX, USA