Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 13 of 38)

Sep 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

Wrench light came on the car slowed down shake bad and no throttle response at all, had it towed in for service and was told it was a throttle body assembly failure, not covered under power train warranty.

- Dover, KY, USA

Sep 062013

Wednesday, two days before the incident I had taken my vehicle to Ford for the $423.74 recommended 60,000 miles service. The car had never stalled before this scheduled service. Friday I was traveling on a three lane interstate in traffic and passing a vehicle in the left hand lane when I realized that I had completely lost power. Everything was working, steering, air, radio, etc. But there was no power when pressing the gas pedal. I was placed in a dangerous situation as I made my way without power to the right hand lane and the side of the road coasting slowly. As I slowed I once tried moving the car from drive to low but still no power. When my car had almost stopped I could feel a bumpy low power as I pressed the gas. The car stopped and I turned off the engine. I immediately tried to start the car again but nothing happened. It was like the starter was bad, but after 5 minutes the car started and behaved normally. I immediately took the car back to the Ford dealer and was told it was the throttle body and that there is a problem with it but not a recall. It costs over $500 to fix. I was lucky not to have been involved in an accident because of this problem. There needs to be a recall. This is unacceptable.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Sep 082013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the engine stalled with the illumination of the wrench warning indicator. The vehicle was restarted and began to accelerate at a low speed. The contact performed the repair himself which included the replacement of the throttle body. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Port Orange , FL, USA

Sep 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

This is the second incident where I've been driving and the car started to lose power. The wrench light came on and the car started stuttering. I was able to pull over to the side of the road and shut the car off and restart. It started a little rough so I turned off the air, and it drove fine. I'm seeing a lot of comments from others that they are having the same problem and it ends up being the throttle. I'm now deciding my next step.

- St. Johns, MI, USA

Jul 252013

I was driving on the highway when my car starting losing power. The little wrench light and check engine light came on. I was able to pull over to the side of the road and shut off the car. I restarted the car, but turned off the air conditioning. After driving another 7-8 miles, I turned on the air conditioning and the same thing happened. When I restarted the car, I turned off the air and it drove fine. I took it to a mechanic because the book that came with my vehicle said to have the diagnostics checked, but the mechanic said no code is showing up.

- St. Johns, MI, USA

Sep 062013

The first time, while driving down the interstate, in heavy rush hour traffic, the vehicle lost power and I had to make it across 2 lanes of bumper-to-bumper traffic to get to the side of the road. The "wrench" light went on and I could no longer accelerate. The vehicle stayed running, but had a very rough idle. I turned the vehicle off and it started right up and I was able to continue my trip. The next day it did it again, twice within 2 miles of each occurrence, also while driving on the highway. The second time the check engine light came on and I had it towed to the dealership. The dealership told me it was the throttle control and it was roughly $350 to have it fixed, because it was just out of warranty and it isn't covered under the 5yr 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. It only happened to me while highway driving with speeds 70 and above. Not a fun feeling having your car quit unexpectedly during highway driving. It's obvious Ford is having multiple issues with the same component, based all the complaints I have seen on the internet. By the way, the dealership told me I was lucky because Ford just reduced the price on the part as of 9/1/13. Boy, do I feel lucky!

- Milan, MI, USA

Aug 242013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled as the service warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection and diagnosed as having a throttle body failure. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 31000.

- Greensville, SC, USA

Aug 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

Was taking off from stop light and lost control of acceleration pedal. Car would not react to pressure applied to pedal. Put car in park and it started jerking. Turned car off and on again and it acted fine for the next 30 miles. Same thing happened again. Took car to mechanic, couldn't find anything. A few days went by with no issues, then while driving at around 45-50 mph, the wrench light came on and the car dropped speed immediately to 5 mph. I had to make an emergency pull off in the grass as another vehicle was behind me and we were going around a curve. I started car again and drove about 3 miles and it did the same thing while driving. This has now happened about 8 times. Our mechanic has looked at the car twice and couldn't find the problem.

- Centerville, GA, USA

Aug 222013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving to work in rush hour traffic with cruise control on doing about 60mph and all of a sudden the car lost power.......engine began to run rough and would not accelerate above an idle (rough idle). There was no response to the throttle; the car would not go faster and could not maintain speed. It only decelerated. I immediately pulled out of traffic to the shoulder and limped to the nearest side street. I turned the car off, checked under the hood, and when I restarted, it ran perfectly fine. A check of the web and contact with the Ford dealer indicated the throttle body was bad. The dealer indicated this was a common problem, that the part has been upgraded twice but my vehicle was not part of a service bulletin/recall. A new throttle body and about $500 later the car is fine its clear may drivers/customers are experiencing this same issue this was dangerous. When the issue happened I was being followed closely by a large truck. I had no warning and the only available option was to immediately pull out of lane and onto the shoulder.. fortunately I was in the extreme right lane and could pull out of traffic without incident - it would have been a serious incident had I been in the center of left lane, or where there was no available shoulder.

- North Rose, NY, USA

Aug 272013

I was travelling on an interstate doing 70 miles an hour when my car made a bang and I lost all throttle response. The car was running, seemed to go into neutral but pressing the gas pedal did nothing. I was able to cost over 4 lanes dodging traffic to get to a spot where I could come to stop. After turning off the engine and restarting everything went back to normal. Now just over a week later it happened 3 more times in 1 day. Doing research it seems this is a common complaint from Fusion and escape owners. It also seems there may be an investigation under way as to whether this should be a recall issue. Now if Ford was to fix this it would be 1 thing, but after almost killing me on the interstate I now have to fork over $400 to the dealership because even though my car is several thousand miles short of the 30K mile warranty, the 3 year stipulation on my warranty ended less than 3 months ago.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Sep 062013

While driving on the freeway, I experienced a complete loss of engine power. The ignition and electrical power remained on, but the throttle became completely unresponsive. I pulled over to the shoulder, the check engine light came on, and I turned the ignition completely off. I turned it on a minute later, the car started up, no check engine light. Throttle response was back to normal. I drove to my nearest Ford dealer where I was told it's a common problem with a failed throttle body. This could have caused a huge accident, but there was no traffic on the freeway at the time.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Aug 212013

Upon accelerating from stop at city intersection to 30 mph, car suddenly lost all acceleration. Coasted into nearby lot. "wrench" light on. Turned car off. Luckily, no car had been approaching from rear, and this was before entering ramp to busy 60 mph highway. Car ran, as if normal after re-starting, wrench light out. Drove 15 miles to dealer service shop. Shop performed Ford's throttle body test procedure and verified throttle body had failed. Shop replaced electronic throttle body assembly; car at 54,000 miles. From researching, see that this a prevalent issue with increasing rate of occurrence (a top 5 car complaint over past 90 days). Given the apparent incident rate, intermittent nature, and odds of occurring with sudden surprise in traffic moving at speed, clearly presents a hazardous condition and compromises safety in otherwise normal driving circumstances. Evidently problem occurs within predictable range on odometer, which probably indicates some manufacturing defect leading to premature failure. Along with the resulting safety risk exposure, this does not reasonably meet automotive consumer expectations for the equipment and technology. As more vehicles go through this mileage range, may become epidemic with increasing odds for bad outcomes. Wanted to add my event to the list; maybe can save someone else potential serious accident and injury. To this point, the car seems good otherwise, but this item needs to be taken seriously and by all rights get remedied in a proactive manner.

- Owensville, IN, USA

Jul 112013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact merged to the shoulder and was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 115,000 and the current mileage was 121,000. The VIN was not available.

- Campton , GA, USA

Jul 112013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000 and the current mileage was 32,727. Updated 09/25/13 updated 09/27/2013

- Earie, PA, USA

Feb 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

Shortly after I purchased my 2010 Ford Fusion back in February of this year I noticed when I started my vehicle and hit the 20-25 mph my car hesitates to go into gear and when it does it jerks. I took it into my dealership and at first I was told they found trans codes then I was told that was a miscommunication. I was told it did this because the car was cold. I have never owned a vehicle that did this when it was cold. Upon researching known issues with this vehicle I came across the throttle body issue and am wondering now if that is my issue without the stalling issue. Will continue to go back and forth with the dealership and Ford Motor Company until my issue is taken care of.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Sep 042013

Electronic throttle body malfunctioned on our 2010 Ford Fusion while on the freeway at about 70 mph. Without warning, there was no response from the accelerator and I was forced to coast over to the shoulder without the ability to control acceleration. Thankfully the freeway was not too busy and getting to the shoulder without power was possible. I am paying for the cost of repair. After reading several articles about the NHTSA looking into the situation, I believe this malfunction (which is common) poses a major safety issue and warrants a recall. Losing acceleration ability without warning at the wrong time could prove fatal for the driver and other drivers nearby.

- Ventura, CA, USA

Aug 182013

On August 18,2013 I was driving about 50 mph when car went limp( did not stall), idle was very rough. After trying for about 10 minutes to figure out what was wrong, we turned off engine and restarted car. The car was fine for the next week. Then on August 25, 2013 the same thing happened again. Again, repeated turning engine off and restarted. On August 26, 2013, I was wait in a drive through and the car stalled. I had to keep the car running by two footing it ( one foot on gas all the time and one on break as to not hit the car in front of me). I then called my mechanic and we replaced the battery since it read weak, and no codes come up when put on computer. That did not fix the problem. After he did research on the problem, he replaced the throttle body. This should be a recall part. It is going to cause a death one of these times when the car goes limp traveling on highways and such.

- Factoryville, PA, USA

Sep 052013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving this morning my car seemed to "surge". almost felt like it was going to stall a few times at stop lights and such. Then while going 45-50 mph my car wouldn't respond when I pushed the accelerator. When I pulled to the side of the road, the car started shaking. There was a wrench light in my dash that came on. When I turned off the car I restarted it and it ran with the surging problem until I reached my destination. No wrench light when I restarted the car.

- Prior Lake, MN, USA

Jul 182012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway, and all of a sudden, my car slow down quickly and a light came on that looked like a wrench. I had to pull over quickly and try to restart the car, it restarted and I was on my way. This happened several other times and eventually, the vehicle would start, but wouldn't move. Took the vehicle to the dealership, to be told I needed a new throttle body on a vehicle that was two years old. The warranty was up due to the mileage and the cost was around $600. This appears to be a known issue, but Ford is not stepping up to the plate and covering the cost of the repair.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

This has happened on multiple occasions. While driving down the road going approx 45 mph. Suddenly the vehicle would lose throttle response and/or stall all together. On at least two occasions I have almost been rear-ended once almost by a semi-truck. I have done my research on the symptoms concerning my vehicle, and have found out that this is due to a failing throttle body. I have also found out that this has happened on quite a lot of Ford Fusion built at least between 2006 and 2011. I am quite surprised that Ford has not issued a recall on these vehicles' parts, this is definitely a safety issue.

- Orlando, FL, USA