2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 14 of 38)

Jul 182012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway, and all of a sudden, my car slow down quickly and a light came on that looked like a wrench. I had to pull over quickly and try to restart the car, it restarted and I was on my way. This happened several other times and eventually, the vehicle would start, but wouldn't move. Took the vehicle to the dealership, to be told I needed a new throttle body on a vehicle that was two years old. The warranty was up due to the mileage and the cost was around $600. This appears to be a known issue, but Ford is not stepping up to the plate and covering the cost of the repair.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jul 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

This has happened on multiple occasions. While driving down the road going approx 45 mph. Suddenly the vehicle would lose throttle response and/or stall all together. On at least two occasions I have almost been rear-ended once almost by a semi-truck. I have done my research on the symptoms concerning my vehicle, and have found out that this is due to a failing throttle body. I have also found out that this has happened on quite a lot of Ford Fusion built at least between 2006 and 2011. I am quite surprised that Ford has not issued a recall on these vehicles' parts, this is definitely a safety issue.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate, my car began to lose power and I could not accelerate. Fortunately, I was in the far right lane and was able to pull off the highway safely. Had I been in the center or far left lane, my safety and that of my passenger could have been seriously jeopardized. Aaa towed me to a Ford dealer and it was necessary to replace the throttle body. I have since learned that this is a common problem with this model and believe a recall should be in order.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Jul 272013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car has died unexpectedly. The wrench and engine light will go on, it did it once on July 27, Aug. 24 and 25 and on Sept 4, it died twice on the freeway in rush hour traffic. The Ford service dept. Diagnosed it as a "faltering throttle box". there is a wait of a month for these.

- Greendale, WI, USA

Sep 022013

Fusion

Engine dropped to 900 RPM. Coasted to stop. Vehicle would not respond to acceleration. Turned engine off and restarted made it to town. Diagnosed by dealership as throttle body. Parts not available till October. They have car we have rental because we had extended warranty. If we didn't have that we would be in trouble.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Sep 012013

Fusion 6-cyl

Just four months after purchasing my so called "certified pre-owned 172 point pass inspected 2010 Ford Fusion" the car starts acting up while driving down a main street in the middle of town, the car lost all acceleration right after I started taking off from a stop light. The wrench light then came on and the car started to stall out as this was going on I'm also trying to turn left, which was a little scary because I basically cut someone off while turning because, I had no acceleration whatsoever to avoid them. This is a serious problem and I'm not the only one whose had to go through it from all the same complaints I see on the internet. This malfunctioning throttle body needs to be recalled before someone gets seriously hurt!

- Maryville, MO, USA

Sep 032013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the electronic throttle body would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 81,000. The consumer stated the vehicle stalled multiple times, before it stopped completely. Updated 10/22/13

- Liverpool, NY, USA

Aug 182013

Fusion 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power and would not respond to accelerator, just prior to entering freeway on ramp. Wrench icon appeared on console. Fortunately, no one was following, so was able to pull over to side of road safely. Car began to shake. Turned off car - was able to restart and get home safely. Reviewed symptoms on line - consistent with throttle body issue, which appears to be a frequently reported problem with the Fusion. Took the car to the dealer next day - confirmed it was defective throttle body. Service manager indicated this is a common issue with the Fusion, and they see one or two a month at just this dealer. Part had been back ordered for some time, but luckily had just come in, so vehicle was repaired same day (out of warranty, of course - 3 year old car with 40000 mi). Seems like this is a known problem with potential safety implications that Ford is well aware of - why isn't this the subject of a recall and replacement before this happens to someone at 70 mph?

- Pleasant Prairie, WI, USA

Aug 072013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 60,000.

- Carrollton , GA, USA

Aug 142013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that she attempted to accelerate from a stop and the vehicle moved only a few feet into an intersection before failing to accelerate any further. The vehicle was shut off and restarted, and the vehicle operated as designed. Three weeks later the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the electronic throttle body would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 43,000.

- Corryton, TN, USA

Sep 012012

Fusion 4-cyl

As I was driving down the road, my vehicle "stalled" ('limp" home mode) for no reason, the transmission/throttle control indicator light appeared on the instrument panel. I safely pulled the car over, as I slowed down the vehicle began to "jerk". the only way I was able to stop this was by putting the car in park and shutting off the engine. This happened after I had been on the road for about 15-20 min. I pulled back on to the road and a very short time later it happened again. I pulled over, shut the car off and started it back up and again it was "fine" (operational). I then made it the rest of the way home. This happened late on a Saturday evening of labor day weekend. I took the car to the dealership on Tuesday and on my way there it went into "limp home mode" 4 times in a 7 mile commute. Ford did a diagnostic test and informed me that it would need a new throttle body. I am waiting to hear from Ford if they are going to cover the expense as this is a known issue. The Ford dealership told me it would be $460 +tax to perform the repair.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Aug 252013

Fusion 4-cyl

While on the freeway doing approximately 65-75 mph, my vehicle lost power, the wrench light came on the dash, and the vehicle began to stall. I pulled over to the side of the freeway, turned the car off, and restarted. It was fine after restarting. A couple days later the incident occurred again. Within 4 days, my vehicle began to have 4 episodes on my 11 mile commute. These issues during rush hour traffic prompted me to bring it in to the dealership asap as I did not feel safe driving it any longer. My vehicle is currently at the dealership awaiting diagnosis and repair. After a google search, I am fairly certain that the diagnosis will involve the throttle body.

- Spring, TX, USA

Sep 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was traveling down a 2 lane highway (state road, pa) when the car began to rapidly lose acceleration and seemed to stall. The engine jerked excessively, but never turned off. No amount of pressing the accelerator made any difference. I coasted to the side of the road safely. Luckily, no one hit me. Turned engine off and called for roadside assistance. Turned the vehicle on a few minutes later and everything was fine. The yellow wrench light came on when accelerator lost control. Next day, while driving to work, it happened on rt13N de and again I was lucky to be able to quickly get to the emergency lane. Yellow wrench light and no control on accelerator with engine vibrating heavily but does not turn off. Switched off and turned on - everything is fine. Same day evening - returning from work - it happens as I get on the entry ramp to I95 N de. Narrowly missed someone rear ending me. Yellow light, heavy vibration and no acceleration. Turn off and turn on, everything is fine. Being in downtown wilmington - no emergency lane and had to do this right in the middle of the road during rush hour. This sudden loss of power is extremely scary and with 2 children in the back seat - I fear for their safety. Imagine if this is happens on the interstate with a 18 wheeler behind you. Will be taking to dealer first thing in the morning. Vehicle is serviced and maintained only by Ford. No one has touched my vehicle other than Ford authorized dealer and have not missed a single Ford recommended maintenance service.

- New Castle, DE, USA

Sep 022013

Fusion 4-cyl

PE13-003 my 2009-2011 Ford escape, Fusion, mariner and Milan electronic throttle body malfunction 21-Feb-2013 my 2010 Ford Fusion 4 cylinder has malfunctioned twice in two days with sudden power loss and the wrench icon of the gauge cluster. Each time, the engine would drop to 800 RPM and crawl at less then 20 mph. The first incident was near hunt auto as leaving a 4-way stop on Sunday with near 90 degree heat. The second was Monday while on I-65 N near millersville at 68 mph. Scary. Both times I had to pull over, inspect the idle behavior, turn the car off, wait 30 seconds then turn-on again fine with normal behavior. After research, this appears to be under investigation by the NHTSA since Feb 2013 as likely throttle body issues of this engine type. I have sent this info to my local Ford dealer www.huntauto.com. please advise and assist as possible.

- Franklin, KY, USA

Aug 302013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the accelerator pedal traveled to the floorboard. The vehicle did not acetate however. The vehicle was stopped and restarted some time later and operated as designed. The dealer was notified of the failure, who suggested that the throttle body could have been defective. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 63,000.

- East Syracuse, NY, USA

Jul 202012

Fusion 6-cyl

At highway speed, there was a controlled loss of power to the engine. Upon shutting down and restarting, the problem cleared but recurred. The vehicle was serviced and the electronic throttle body was replaced.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 312013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on a busy interstate highway when suddenly my car looses power and goes into limp mode. Absolutely no throttle response. Wrench light indicator came on. I pulled over to the side of the road and my car shuttered a bit as I slowed down. Turned the car off and waited a minute before restarting. Restarted sluggishly. Began driving again and no more than 5 minutes later, the same thing happened. This time the check engine light came on. Once again, turned car off, restarted and began driving again. Made it into a local brake/muffler shop where they were kind enough to diagnose the problem for me. Error code P2112 came over with a description about the throttle body actuator being stuck closed. They informed me they've seen this problem many times and it seems to be a common issue. It made sense to me because, leading up to this event, I had been experiencing a lagging throttle. It has happened to me twice more since this initial occurrence.

- Wappingers Falls, NY, USA

May 222013

Fusion

The accelerator stopped working as I was starting to move after a stop light. A light went on that looked like a wrench. The Ford dealer was unable to diagnose the problem after paying $134.20. Happened again while driving 60 miles per hour on the freeway on 8/4/2013. The Ford dealer replaced a valve and we paid $291.98. Happened several times while driving 60 mph on the freeway on 8/25/2013. We researched the problem on the internet and found several drivers with this model had a malfuntioning throttle body. We told the Ford dealer how to diagnose the problem. This repair cost us $654.13.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Aug 162013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle decelerated and began to shake. The wrench warning icon was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated the electronic throttle body would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 77,000.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Aug 282013

Fusion 4-cyl

Motor power surge a few times then died with 4 lanes of traffic all traveling about 65mlh. Was able to turn key off and restart motor and ran fine the rest of the way home. Today surge a few times but not as often as yesterday.

- North Branch, MN, USA