Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 17 of 38)

Fusion 4-cyl

It 68000 miles had to replace the throttle body on this 2010 Ford Fusion 2.5.this is not under the 80000 mile coverage, and it is a part of the fuel system that is covered.

- Durham, NC, USA

Aug 142013

While traveling in the middle lane on I-77 at 65 mph, the car suddenly decelerated to a stop. The car was running but the car was unable to move. Fortunately a brave passerby pulled off onto the left median, stopped traffic in the left lane, directed me to put the car in neutral & pushed my car over the left lane and onto the left median. A state highway patrolman, coincidentally, came by and called a tow truck. He pushed me farther off the road, fearing a rear end collision. The car was towed to a Ford dealership where the throttle body was replaced. The tow cost over $80. If I had not purchased an extended warranty this repair would have been over $700. This was a terrifying incident as this is a heavily traveled stretch of interstate. I consider myself very unfortunate that I was not involved in a serious accident. If the good samaritan hadn't helped, I would have had to either stay in my vehicle & risk a rear end collision or try to leave my car in the middle lane, cross the left lane by foot, and wait for assistance along the left median. I have since learned that the throttle body defect in Ford Fusion has been well-documented. There should be a recall. I worry for my nephew & son-in-law who both have 2010 Fusion.

- Akron, OH, USA

Aug 092013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on the highway going approximately 70 mph when my car acceleration seize to accelerated. The wrench light and check engine light came on. I coasted to the shoulder of the highway were I put my hazards on. I shut the car off waited 5 minutes then started back up. I turned around drove home. This happen two times before on the same day. I read a forum of other Fusion owners who this happen to. They all said it was the full throttle body. I replaced the part and not had a problem since.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Nov 072012

Fusion 6-cyl

We had just bought our 2010 Ford Fusion 10 days prior to this incident. I had just picked up my children from school and when I was leaving the school parking lot I had too come to a complete stop (which is on a downward slope) when trying to accelerate the car lost all power and had shut off, I had no control of course and rolled right in front of an oncoming school bus that was in other lane. The bus had to come to a complete stop to avoid hitting us. It cranked right back up but seemed a little sluggish. My little girl was screaming for me to turn (which I was trying but could do nothing) she was very upset and crying. It never showed any sign of problems before hand. I contacted the dealer we purchased it from and they said they could do nothing it was not a Ford dealer it was used when we bought it with 50000 miles. I contacted a Ford dealership and they said unless it showed a sign they could do nothing I have tried other mechanics and nothing. We did have throttle body checked and it was fine. We have had several incidents of it shutting off with no warning and it is a regular basis it seems to not want to go when I press the seems slow to respond. The shutting off of the car only seems to happen when im trying to take off from a stopped position then it will die right after it starts going. This makes me very nervous and not want to go anywhere. We haven't had it long so we cant get rid of it due to the negative we have in the car and cant afford higher pmt. I will never go with Ford again not saying that all are like this, but one bad apple can spoil them all for me.

- Vinemont, AL, USA

Jun 062011

Fusion 6-cyl

While already in motion on the highway the car begins to decrease it's speed, vibrate and then stall out. The problem is intermittent. Corrective action taken at times of event is to pull out of traffic as best as possible. Turn off the ignition, put the car in park then after approx two minutes, restart the vehicle and continue driving.

- Holtsville, NY, USA

Jun 122013

This car has a tendency on stalling because of the electronic throttle body.

- Eldersburg, MD, USA

Jul 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down a side street going about 25 mph when my car lost power, when I pressed the gas the car shook and stalled out. I restarted the car and managed to pull off to the side of the street before it stalled out again. The engine light and the wrench light were on when this happened. I had the car towed to the local Ford dealership where they immediately told me "it's probably the throttle body" they told me the repairs could take months because the parts are on back order because it is a common problem with the Ford Fusion. Previous to this incident my car had been having problems accelerating improperly and would stall out while stopped. This started happening about 2 months before my car needed to be towed to the dealership.

- Springfield, MA, USA

Aug 142013

We were driving on a highway when the cruise control kicked off. I realized that the car had no power, so I went to the shoulder and the car was shuddering as I came to a stop. I turned the car off, checked to see if there was anything I could see wrong in the engine compartment, checked all fluids, etc. Got back in the car and it started right up. We went a little while longer and it happened again. All in all, it happened probably 8-10 times in a little over a 100 mile trip. The wrench light would come on when the problem appeared, but only the service engine light would stay on after restarting.when we got back into town, I went to auto zone to have the engine code read and it was P2111 (throttle body). After doing some investigating, I found that this is a very common problem among these cars. I found out that it is very easy to replace, so tried ordering one. The part that most sources have listed is around $170. But, that part is not available and the replacement is $324. I think Ford is gouging the consumers to fix a known problem that should be fixed under a recall. I have a 4 year old car that I don't dare take a trip with.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Jun 302013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the maintenance light. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis but they were unable to duplicate the problem. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Versailles, OH, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

While doing 50 mph on a highway, the car suddenly lost power. The motor was still running, but it was as if it was in idle. Depressing the accelerator did nothing. I pulled the car over to the shoulder and stopped. The idle was extremely rough. There was a 'wrench' indicator light. I turned the car off. As I restarted the car, it was very rough to start then after a few seconds, idle was normal. I drove without a problem for about 20 miles when the problem re-occurred in the exact same manner. When I started the car this time, the 'wrench' light was off, but the 'check engine' light was on and remained on. The Ford dealership says the throttle-body needs to be replaced, and that this is not covered under the power-train warranty.

- Kildeer, IL, USA

Jul 252013

Car lost power while driving at 45 mph, after about 10 minutes of driving. It would not respond to accelerator pedal and the wrench light went on. I pulled off to side of road; car restarted after 2-3 tries; drove without incident for next 1500 miles. Since then has stalled three times, usually within a few minutes of initial start driving at 30-40 mph. Each time, restarts with one or two tries and runs ok, but feels sluggish.

- Columbus, IN, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

I had just started and was exiting a retail establishment. I was driving down a slight incline approaching a stop light when the car started shaking and dramatically lost speed. The wrench light came on which according to the manual indicates a possible powertrain/transmission issue. I turned the car off and then restarted (in the middle of the road) and drove to a safe location. I was lucky that at the time I was driving at a slow speed and approaching a stop light. If a car had been behind me someone would have been injured.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Aug 142013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, there was a sudden loss of engine power. The contact mentioned that the wrench icon and the check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 66,000. The VIN was not available.

- Peoria, AL, USA

Aug 132013

I was driving in morning rush hour traffic and the car suddenly jerked and then just stopped. It would not accelerate and I was barely able to move the car off the road. I shut it off and was able to restart the car. However the car was acting the same. I took it to the dealer and was informed that the throttle body failed (code pewee).

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Aug 072013

Fusion 6-cyl

My 2010 Ford Fusion has stalled several times while driving and while attempting to accelerate from a stopped position. Several times it has almost caused me to stall in the middle of a busy intersection when turning left, stop while driving on a busy freeway, and quickly accelerate when my foot has been on the brake peddle.

- Austin, TX, USA

Jul 032013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact mentioned that the wrench and check engine warning lamps were illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the throttle body was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 66,000 and the current mileage was 68,000.

- Champagne , IL, USA

Aug 032013

I was driving home at a speed of 70 from work on the freeway when the car powered down all of a sudden. A wrench light turned on and the accelerator pedal did not work I had to pull to the side of the freeway when I stopped my car the car felt as if it was trembling so I turned it off for a few seconds then turned it back on surprisingly the wrench light turned off and the car worked fine again. I kept driving carefully at a speed of 60 now and 20 miles later it stalled again. My car at the moment is at 43,000 miles I bought it new in June 2010. I took it to O'reillys so they can troubleshoot and find out what was wrong with my car and they said it was the throttle body. I continued to call a Ford dealership since I still have powertrain warranty which covers the engine and transmission but unfortunately the sales rep. Said it did not cover the throttle body. At the dealership to fix this problem will cost me $93 to find the problem, $150 for the service and $400 for the part. I am a nmsu student living in Texas and drive 30 miles everyday to school and sadly cannot afford this kind of expense. I'm afraid to keep driving it causing to get rear ended while the car stalls or even worst causing a car incident leaving injuries.

- Anthony, TX, USA

Aug 102013

Fusion 6-cyl

Car suddenly lost power at highway speed, had to pull over, rough idling; amber wrench lit up. Car towed to dealership. Could not find problem but sounds like throttle body failure as described over internet and by another dealership's service manager. Advised to see if occurs again.

- Mystic , CT, USA

Jun 122013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was engaged and failed to respond. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After waiting a few moments the engine was restarted and the vehicle operated normally. The malfunction recurred two times. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer and the throttle body was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Haverhill, MA, USA

Aug 092013

Fusion 4-cyl

Car loses power and stalls at city or highway speeds (have to pull over). Car shuts down when idling. Ford was contacted by our service center and we're told we need a new throttle body, but they are on back-order. There are at least 5000 orders ahead of us. Service person said he is not aware of a recall for this problem. Car was purchased new.

- Marshfield, WI, USA