Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 22 of 38)

Jul 192013

I was driving to my friends and all of a sudden my car stalled on me. It wouldn't move when I pushed on the gas it just slowed down while my battery light wrench light and engine light came on. It was dead. I shut the car off and turned it back on and it was fine like nothing happened. Less than a mile it did it again on a busy road. I was freaking out and worried about my life on the busy road. So I shut it off again and started and lucky I made to the Ford service before it did it again and decided to have them check it out. The throttle body gad to be replaced and was the reason why my car was acting up. I thank god that I wasn't on the freeway around rush hour time.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Jul 212013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The failure recurred twice. The contact was able to restart the engine and the vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Saco , ME, USA

Jul 132013

After stopping at bank, car went into creep mode after less than a block. Restarted and drove home. Nine days later the same thing occurred. Drove to mechanic next day ok. Needs throttle body for $440. Ford apparently not willing to fix although they've had this problem for years. Replaced ignition coil a few weeks earlier for $330. Same mo with Ford.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Jul 102013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle surged and stalled with the illumination of the check engine light. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 58,000.

- Bonisay, FL, USA

Jul 232013

I was driving to work yesterday morning and almost got rear ended by a semi when my car lost power. After work I took my car to the mechanic and he verified that there is an issue with the throttle body. After finding this out I did some research online and found that this appears to be a very common problem. I have read countless pages of complaints on this particular problem happening to other people. Without a doubt, I feel that there should definitely be a recall on this issue. I guess it takes someone to get killed before that will happen though. This is not the first time this has happened to me and probably won't be the last. I would hate to see someone get killed over this. It will bring a hefty lawsuit.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

There have been multiple occurrences but the most common is while driving, the little wrench light comes on out of nowhere and the car starts to shake and lose power. I have to pull over to the side of the road and completely turn off the engine. Once I restart it, it will drive for a few miles and do it again. Sometimes it will do it just once and other times, like this morning on the highway, it did it 3 times. I fear for my safety and for those around me. There is absolutely nothing I can do to prepare for it because it does it always without warning. I can't even buy the part to fix it due to a nationwide backorder.

- Coweta, OK, USA

Jul 032013

While driving on a crowded highway the vehicle lost all ability to accelerate or maintain speed. Wrench light was illuminated, car did not stall. Once brought to the dealership no code was available.

- Sunapee , NH, USA

Jul 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

Stopped at red light, light turns green I push the gas pedal and the car has no power- I moved to the side of the street and it crawled along an inch at a time until I could safely pull into a church yard and turn it off, I lifted the hood to check everything and decided to crank the car to see if I could hear anything and it ran fine and has been fine for the past three days. Afraid to drive my car because of this.

- Rockmart, GA, USA

Jul 152013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked, hesitated, and made a loud noise while driving 15 mph and making a turn. The wrench light illuminated after the failure occurred. The vehicle began to function normally after it was restarted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and a diagnostic test was performed. The failure was located within the throttle body and the front axle, needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 63,000.

- Gaines , MI, USA

Jul 162013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving on city streets the gas pedal stopped responding. The car slowed and the engine surged.

- Quarryville, PA, USA

Jun 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

I bought a 2010 Ford Fusion, 4 months ago in March, 2 months after purchase the car began shutting off while driving, the problem was only happening every once in a while, but has progressed more and more to the point that I was unable to drive at all. I took the car to the dealership, who sent it to be serviced. Then I find out that it is the throttle body and would cost me 600 dollars to get repaired and that it is not covered under warranty. I liked the Fusion until I began having these issues, but I fear for the life myself and my kids in this vehicle and don't think that I should be having these problems right after the purchase of a new vehicle.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Jul 222013

Today I was driving through a residential neighborhood at about 20 mph. My car slowly started to lose power. I was able to pull off to the side of a road in a parking lot where the vehicle began to shake violently. I put the car in park and turned the car off immediately. Upon restarting, I was able to begin to drive and the car drove for several miles as normal. Then, the car seemed to lose power again, quicker this time, and shake violently. I was on a busy road with one lane of traffic and could very nearly have been rear ended. It appears to be the throttle body, as so many other reviewers have claimed. What is not understandable is that the part is back ordered. Even though my husband can repair it himself, we'll have to wait for the part and wait to have a car back. As a full time teacher, I am not sure how Ford has not recalled such a consistent issue that takes away from the reliability of their automobiles. I hope someone can address this issue immediately and place a recall on this part. I am so disappointed in Ford products.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Jul 152013

I was driving my 2010 Ford Fusion on highway 31, it was very cloudy and hard rain was coming down fast. I reached 40 miles an hour after almost pushing my foot so hard on the peddle. All the sudden the car started losing power, slowly going down. Wrench light came on, vehicle started shaking, and right at the best time I hit the brake and the car turned off, it would not turn back on. I had to have my vehicle towed to the Ford dealership. My vehicle has been in the shop a total of 4 times and this problem is still not fixed, I am so uneasy when driving my car, hoping it will not turn off and leave me stranded. I am very scared to drive my vehicle, it is the only way of transportation for me. I am very upset about everything and it still is not fixed. Terrible vehicle, terrible service from the Ford service people. Totally devastated that I make a car payment on my vehicle which is covered under warranty and I am in harm.

- Longview, TX, USA

Jul 092013

The car began to stall on the freeway, so I had to drive it off the freeway after it had turned off twice. The first time, it went off in the middle of the freeway as I luckily veered to the side and no one was hurt. I took it to be serviced. It turns out there was a faulty throttle control: The throttle actuator was stuck closed (P2111), and also would get stuck open (P2112). This must have happened while I was on the freeway. The auto service center ran the tests and tested my vehicle after replacing that throttle assembly and now my car runs back to normal. Also, my rear parking aid back up tone is out of order. Sometimes it just beeps constantly and there is nothing behind the vehicle. It seems to be working in order, but once in a while it does that.

- Tracy, CA, USA

Jul 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

Faulty throttle body has caused several engine stall events on and off highway. Car in shop awaiting replacement part. Ford service acknowledged that this is a well known defect without a recall yet announced. They advised not driving the car again until part is replaced as that would be "very dangerous." Why would this not be a recall yet?

- Rochester, MN, USA

Jul 192013

While driving down the highway during rush hour, the car shuddered and stalled, kept oscillating around 1000 RPM, would not accelerate. Almost crashed trying to get to the shoulder. Called dealership from side of the road, they said it's probably the throttle body.

- Gates Mills, OH, USA

Jun 192013

Fusion 4-cyl

The first time the problem occurred I was a 4 lane with the cruise set a 65. The car lost all power and at the same time! the wrench light came on. I braked the car and pulled over off the road, the cars engine was running extremely rough so I turned of the ignition. After waiting a few minutes restarted the car got back to speed and the same thing happened- lucky for me no traffic around at the time. The forth try the car ran fine the rest of the 6 miles left to work. That night going home from work- same thing- loss of all power and wrench light- made it off the road again safely. Restarted the car and it ran fine- about 3 miles to home. Over the next few days it did the same thing several more times then ran fine for about a week. Turns out that was just the start of the fun! : [ now it started losing power at busy intersections in town, as I was pulling into traffic on a 4 lane that traffic was moving 55mph.

- Colchester, IL, USA

Jul 202013

Fusion 4-cyl

60 mph on highway. Wrench light came on. Lost power. Coasted to side of road (luckily safely). Turned car off. Restarted after a few minutes. Continued about 1/2 mile. Happened again. Did same thing. Continued another 1/2 mile. Did it again. Engine shuttered this time. Check engine light remains on. Was able to restart vehicle and get home (approximately 2 miles). Happened once shortly after used vehicle purchase in 2011 but never did again until now. Internet search indicates defective throttle body part is cause. Very unsafe particularly in highway driving when this happens! just purchased a second 2011 Ford Fusion SE (2011) for our teenager. Concerned about our child's safety. Ford needs to issue a recall!.

- Norton, OH, USA

Jul 122013

I was driving my car and had gone approx 1-1/2 - 2 miles down the road and the car was driving fine then all of a sudden my car started to hesitate and would barely move. I pulled over on a side road and turned my car off and restarted it sounded fine I turned around and pulled onto main road again and again the car started puttering and would barely move I managed to get car off the road. I had it towed to tasca Ford where they said the throttle body needed to be replaced. It has been a week now and I still don't have my car and they can't tell me when the new part will come in because it is being manufactured? they are also stating they have 18 - 20 cars waiting for this same part.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

Cruise control on 65mph@2000rpm with no input from driver, RPM suddenly jumps to 3500 no speed change, loss of power or jerking of car. Turn off cruise control, RPM drops to 2000 smoothly, all seems fine. Turn on cruise control again, RPM jumps immediately to 2700, again smoothly. Turn off cruise control, RPM drops again to 2000. Drive home w/O cruise control no problem. On trip to dealer for diagnosis the wrench icon appears on dash when the accelerator becomes suddenly completely unresponsive. Motor runs smoothly but doesn't react to accelerator. Pull over, turn off motor, wait 1-2 min. Wrench icon is gone, all seems okay, drove on to dealer.

- Stockton, CA, USA