Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 28 of 38)

May 012013

The engine surges when stopped at a light or the brake is applied. This has been going on for several months. I also almost ran into items in the garage as I pulled in slowly and then it surged. I took it to the dealer to have it inspected and they said it was the mass air flow sensor and throttle body having carbon build up.

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jun 182013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 5 mph the engine and throttle warning indicators illuminated continuously. The vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was engaged. The vehicle was coasted onto the emergency lane and within fifteen minutes the vehicle began to function normally. The failure recurred several times. A certified mechanic performed a diagnostic test that detected a trouble code related to the throttle body. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 88,000.

- Rocky Point, NC, USA

Jun 222013

Throttle body is apparently defected...when I try to accelerate the car shuts off and you lose throttle. You have to stop and restart the car to regain any speed. This happened 8 times in a 3 mile area. Taken to have the problem looked at and was given codes P2112, P2111, PO685. Apparently on line this is a real issue with Ford Fusion and the part is on back order with Ford dealerships. This is a real safety hazard as driving in traffic just shuts off at any given time.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jun 212013

Fusion 4-cyl

There has been several incidents over the past 2 days. The first time it happened I was making a left turn, I tried to accelerate but there was none. The engine felt like it was shaking. I pulled over after finally getting through the intersection, turned off the car and then after a few minutes, restarted it and it ran fine. That evening on my way home from work I was driving down the street and it did the same thing. A wrench light came on the dash display. The same thing has happened 6 times. Its almost like it resets itself if I turn the car on and off. The wrench light also turns off once I turn the car on and off.

- Owasso, OK, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

Was riding on interstate when car stopped accelerating. Car behind me had to move to shoulder to avoid hitting me. I pulled over to shoulder turned off engine and started back up with no problem. Went to auto place to get it checked they said they could not check without engine light on. Car ran fine until 6/21/13, going 45 mph and car stopped accelerating. I pulled on side of road restarted and everything was fine but engine light was on. Went to auto place to get checked and it gave a code of P2111 throttle actuator control system stuck open. After researching code I found that this is a common problem. I keep thinking about what could have happened on that interstate. Now I avoid the interstate until I can afford repairs.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion 6-cyl

I was driving on a busy road when my car stopped. I pushed the gas and it would not go. I barely pulled over and turned the car off. After several minutes it restarted. I almost got rear ended the following day because it did the same thing on a hill. I had two small children in the car this time. I called the dealership and they said it is a faulty throttle body. They said it would cost me over $500 to fix and the part would take several days to come in due to it being on back order from it happening so often. I almost got hit with my three year old and 6 month old in the car. This is a major safety issue. It happens out of no where and at any speed. Thank goodness I wasn't on the highway with my children!!! Ford needs to step up and make this a safety recall!! the dealer said he is seeing it in mostly all 2010-2012 Fusion.

- Zanesville , OH, USA

May 132013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving ~70 mph, my car stalled - the gas was no longer responsive and the RPM went to 1K. I was fortunate enough to be able to pull over and stop my car. Between the speeds of 5 and 0 zero miles an hour, the engine shook violently (I have witnessed this with the hood up - it is abnormal) and the wrench symbol turned on as well as the check engine light. I was able to restart the vehicle within minutes and drive normally. However, this event repeated itself every 30 to 60 miles on a 300 mile trip. After this trip, the vehicle was "fine" for about six weeks, 1000-1500 miles - city or highway. However, the battery died at one point. Also, there were times when the gas was not responsive - it would hiccup. Occasionally the hiccup would occur during acceleration. On 6/20, the event occurred once more, but at low speed and during deceleration - 30-40 mph. I was able to restart the car twice and drive another half a mile to a parking spot. Four hours later, I tried again. I was able to drive half a mile without incident, but needed to restart the car 5 to 7 times to reach a parking spot. The car was towed to a dealership where error code P2112 was produced. Further investigation by the technicians suggested part DS70-9E926-D, all or part of the electronic throttle body. Tsb 10-21-6 addresses a similar pair of parts in 7T4Z-9E926-fa and 8S4Z-9E926-B labeled "electronic throttle body" as well. The part is currently under back order with no eta on the back order. This appears to be indicative of a significant problem on a broad scale within the company's vehicles. The red mccombs dealership is currently taking the position that my car/car part is not covered under a warranty. I believe this is a serious safety concern that is the responsibility of fomoco and should be covered under warranty or taken care of by recall.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact own a 2010 Ford escape. The contact stated while driving the vehicle it lost all power. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer who stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 59,640.

- Elkton, FL, USA

Apr 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

I purchased a used 2010 Ford Fusion with 59674 miles on 4/4/13. On the drive home I experienced a lurching occasionally when accelerating from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd gears. (it is an automatic transmission.) there were no warning lights lit. The lurching continued to get worse. It bucked and idled rough. It died sometimes (mostly while idling), leaving me blocking traffic, till I could put it in neutral and restart. The lurching was the most concerning, because the car became hard to control. I had to work hard to keep from getting in an accident. I found this site and others describing the throttle body problems and I recognized that was the exact problem I was having. I called two Ford dealerships, both of whom said they couldn't get the throttle body because so many are failing that there is not enough supply. One dealer said that people were just bringing in their Fusion and parking them at the lot until a throttle body was found. At the dealership, the clerk was on the phone with their parts department unhappy that she had to tell a another customer it would be 3-4 weeks before they would get a throttle body for their 2010 Ford Fusion (not mine). I begrudgingly I authorized the $95 diagnosis fee. I waited 3 hours. Then she told me they said it was a faulty maf sensor and would cost $500. I remembered reading the complaints here that others were told the same thing, only to have the problem reoccur and then have to replace the throttle body. I chose not to have the work done and left an order in the parts department for a throttle body. From the moment I drove out of the dealership the car was working fine. I think they cleaned the throttle body. I will have my mechanic install a new $70 maf and wait for the throttle body to fail eventually, as I fully expect it to do. The dealers know this is a rampant problem. This needs a recall!

- Navarre Beach, FL, USA

Jun 202013

Fusion 6-cyl

Traveling on the freeway this morning, when my vehicle suddenly slows to a crawl, and I lose power to the gas pedal. I just miss being hit by a semi-tractor which had been behind me. I was able to motion my car across three lanes to the side of the freeway. After shutting the vehicle off, and restarting the vehicle it seemed to run normal until about 50 miles down the road when the same thing happened again. I am afraid to drive the car at this point. Dealership claims they are now sure what the cause is, but have seen this numerous times.

- Saint Charles , MO, USA

Mar 022013

Fusion 6-cyl

Was heading home down a narrow back hill when my car lost all acceleration. Had to coast down the hill & when I reached the bottom I was able to restart the car and it started right back up. The dealership told me I needed to change a filter & my battery was bad. Bought a new battery at sears did not have the money for the filter (+plus I was told that was probably not the problem). Last week merging onto an expressway ramp @ 60mph it bogged down to 0 rpms and I thankfully was able to get over so I was out of the way of the traffic so I could shut the car off and on (took me several xs) so I could finish my errand. This has happened to my numerous times now so I am hesitant to even take this car on the expressway. Now I am finding throttle body problems and it sounds like what my car is doing. If there are so many of these complaints why is Ford not made to fix this problem...Y do we have to shell out the $500 to fix a car that is 3 years old.

- Ludlow, KY, USA

May 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car has cut off in traffic numerous time and 3 close calls on accidents. Throttle body was the problem.called Ford and they gave me a case # and said that they couldnot help knowing that the have a problem. Ford mechs that I have talk to have said that they have replace alot of the throttle bodys and for will not recognize the problem probably until someone gets killed or injured while the car has completely shut down running 60mph.

- Smithfield, VA, USA

Jun 122013

Fusion 4-cyl

I was traveling approx 60 mph in crowded traffic when suddenly and without warning the car stalled and lost its power. Fortunately, I was able to guide the car safely to the side of the road. The wrench light did come on. After about a minute and just prior to calling road assistance, I attempted to start the car. It did so successfully and I was able to drive to my local Ford dealership immediately. For two days, the service department attempted to duplicate the failure but was unable to do so. No dtc was produced. However, after much discussion and research, they went ahead and replaced the throttle body. So far, the problem has not recurred.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Jan 082013

Fusion 4-cyl

I had come to a stop light and was turning right when the car went into limp mode. Second time about two weeks later I was turning onto a entrance ramp to an interstate and was accelerating when it went into limp mode. It happened again two weeks later. About three weeks ago I was idling when the car totally cut off. I restarted it drove 5 miles and it went into limp mode when I was pulling into a parking lot. Yesterday it happened when I was doing a steady 70 mph on the interstate. Today when I was doing 65 mph on the interstate. Each time, I pulled over, turned the ignition off and restarted the car which ran normally after that.

- Mcleansville, NC, USA

Jun 082013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving down a moderately traveled road, my vehicle lost power where when I pushed on the accelerator (nothing happened). I was able to get pulled off the side of the road and some warning lights appeared on my dash. I turned the car off and restarted it and it seemed to be okay (no warning lights on dash) and I proceeded home. The following morning it happened again while attempting to pull away from a traffic light on a busier road. I managed to get off the road, turned it off and tried restarting it. Once I got it restarted, I headed straight for the dealership. It was diagnosed as being the throttle body. My issue is that it can completely catch the driver off guard and cause an accident. The vehicle is not very old and the manufacturer seems to be controlling the distribution of the part (only so many released at a time). It took over a week to get my car back for what seems to be a very common issue as read in forums from other owners of the same type of vehicle. I believe the issue with the throttle body needs to be reviewed for a possible recall.

- New Oxford, PA, USA

Jun 192013

During initial acceleration the car will lose power and start shaking sporadically. The car will not stall but it does not accelerate even when the gas peddle is depressed. The car has to be restarted to stop behavior. Check engine light appeared after the behavior persisted for about a week. Brought car to an auto zone for an odbii reading. The codes that were reported are as follows: P2111: Throttle actuator control system - stuck open. P0457: Evap small leak detected brought car to Ford dealer as problem persisted. Ford dealer diagnosed problem as electronic throttle body failure. Electronic throttle body was replaced.

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Jun 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

On June 18, 2013 while driving home from work I was stopped a yield sign waiting for traffic to clear which would allow me to enter a main road. When traffic was clear I pressed the accelerator and began to proceed. Within one or two seconds I lost all power in my accelerator and the rpms were not moving in my dashboard. As I steered my vehicle to the side of the road my car began to jerk as I put my vehicle in park; roughly 100 feet from where I pulled from. It is important to note the wrench on the dashboard turn on when my vehicle came to rest. I turned my car off and put my hazards on. I waited several seconds then turn the car on. It had trouble starting but did start. I noticed the wrench on again but it quickly turned off. If the road was not clear when I pulled from the yield sign I would have caused and accident after starting my vehicle and proceeding down the road about 1 mile the vehicle had the same sequence of losing power in the accelerator and jerking to a stop as I put the vehicle in park. This time the road had widened to a tow lane road overpass of an interstate. My vehicle came to a stop just before the entrance to the interstate. The posted speed limit is 35 mph but people typically accelerate to 50 mph preparing to enter the highway. Coming to a stop before the interstate on ramp thankfully did not cause an accident but did cause a small traffic slow down as I pulled to the side of the road. Again I was able to start the vehicle with a little trouble and this time I noticed the wrench and check engine light on. After dropping my vehicle off on June 19, 2013 I received a call from the Ford dealership advising the issue was related to the throttle body and that it would need to be replaced. I authorized the work because I need a reliable car and do not want to fear for my safety while driving the vehicle.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Jun 142013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving on the highway going about 40mph my car felt like it died, it was still running but unresponsive. There was heavy traffic and I had to stop in the middle of the lane because I was in an area where there were no shoulders to coast to. Once I stopped, I put it in park and restarted it, it ran fine and acted normal for a few days, and it started doing the same thing on the same stretch of highway that I use every day. Only this time it kept happening about every 15 to 20 min. It is at the Ford dealer now and they are telling me it has a bad throttle body and it needs to be replaced. The only problem is that they are replacing so many right now that there is a national back order and I might have to wait 3 or 4 weeks. So not only am I out several hundred dollars but I don't know when ill get my car back. Ford knows there is a problem with the throttle body, they should be replacing this for free. Its a defective part. And it is not very cheap. Plus they are charging me $130 an hour to diagnose the problem that seems like everyone is already aware of. I am having the exact same symptoms as all the other throttle body people.

- Lincolnwood, IL, USA

Jun 142013

Fusion 6-cyl

Driving and lost power, car engine died. Wrench icon came on on the ger indicator. Sputtered when coming to stop and had to shut car off and restart. When restarted I had no odemeter or gas mileage indicator on dash. Did another 2 times until I reached my destination, approx 3 -5 miles away. I was out of town when happened and I called my Ford dealer and explained and the service manager stated he was 95% sure it was the throttle body. He also stated I might not be able to get fixed right away as to the possibility of no parts available as a known issue. Had to finally stop at a Ford dealer on Sunday on our return trip as kept happening, repeatedly and too unsafe to drive any further as we were not getting any further than 5 miles apart before it kept happening and 2 of us had to stay overnight in a hotel until the Ford dealer opened Monday am. On the 4th time this happened, a check engine light finally came on..not prior to this though.the Ford dealer confirmed it was the throttle body and we did have replaced at that time.

- Alsip, IL, USA

May 152013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the wrench warning icon illuminated on the instrument panel as the vehicle decelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where and they stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 38,000.

- Hopelawn, NJ, USA