2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 30 of 38)

May 232013

Fusion

Accelerator suddenly lost ability to accelerate and the wrench light appeared on the control panel. After coasting to a stop was able to turn off car and restart. This has recurred ~10 times. Ford dealership diagnosed as a faulty throttle position sensor (tps). To replace they ordered a complete throttle body and motor assy.$185.41 plus labor. Ford is unable to get this replacement part for at least 3 weeks so far..

- Yorktown, VA, USA

Jun 062013

Fusion

I was driving around 70 miles an hour, southbound in the hov lane of I-95 near exit 2B in alexandria va. The area is a construction zone with barricades on either side of the two lane hov facility. Suddenly, and abruptly, I lost all acceleration and had to coast to a stop in a manner that blocked the right lane of the hov facility. The engine remained running in a rough idle, and the engine/wrench light came on. I tried restarting the car (shutting off and turning the car back on trying a variety of shifting the transmission to N or P). The car would run, but always at a rough idle with no ability to accelerate. During this time, there were several near rear-end collisions due to motorists traveling at a high rate of speed before encountering my completely stopped vehicle. Realizing the peril I was in, I quickly exited the vehicle and hopped the construction barricade. I called 911 due to the danger of the situation and it took around 25 minutes for the roadside assistance vehicle to arrive. After the engine cooled, the issue seemed to resolve itself, and I was able to drive the vehicle to the nearest dealership. The diagnosis was made by the Ford dealership technicians within 90 seconds of me describing the problem. The throttle body was the problem. I researched the issue to discover that this issue is extremely common and well known to Ford. The issue is so pervasive that there is a nationwide back order on the part with a lead-time of more than 2 weeks. I was angered to learn that Ford is aware of this issue yet has not sent notice of the problem or a recall and is charging customers for parts and labor to fix this problem. Most importantly, I am angered of the peril that I was placed in when this known issue impacted me in one of the worst possible places to have it happen. I cannot imagine what I would have done if my kids were in the vehicle.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Jun 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Throttle body malfunction caused the Ford Fusion to stall every couple blocks. Had to tow it to the dealer who diagnosed the problem as throttle body replacement was needed.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 082013

Fusion 6-cyl

Loss of power on interstate going 60 mph after 1.5 hour drive. Weather: Sunny, upper 70's. throttle control lost. Changing accelerator position has no effect on rpms. Gas tank 3/4 full. Engine still running, coasted off onto the shoulder. Engine vibrated a lot but may have been antilock brakes kicking in. Turned off engine. A few minutes later started again, but it wouldn't start at first. Recently had 50000 mile service. Symptoms consistent with those reported in the press for Ford Fusion problems with throttle assembly. Safety issue makes it a scary situation on interstates especially where there is no immediate place to pull over (miles of construction, for example) with heavy truck traffic behind you.

- Blacksburg, VA, USA

Jun 062013

Fusion

While driving at 50 miles an hour the engine lost power and would barley move when the gas pedal was pushed, I was able to drive two blocks to an auto repair shop and was told it was the throttle body assembly, I contacted Ford Motor Company and found out there have been numerous complaints about the throttle body so much so that the parts are on a two month back order unless they order under an emergency condition then it still takes two weeks. I am wondering why there has not been a recall by Ford before someone is seriously injured or killed? I am now having to pay over $500 for the repair.

- Evans, GA, USA

Jun 052013

Fusion

Powering down of vehicle consistent with a throttle body failure. This happened on multiple occasions between June 5-7 2013. Vehicle is at Ford dealer in gaithersburg, md with unknown time for completion. This is the 5th time N the 3 year history of the vehicle that I will be without the car for more than 2 weeks. Since I am out of warranty I was told I will have to pay for this repair. This is completely ridiculous.

- Boyds, MD, USA

May 152013

Fusion 6-cyl

I had been driving my 2010 Ford Fusion sel for about 15 minutes on the highway at speeds of 65mph when suddenly I lost the ability to accelerate or maintain speed. There was no prior warning anything was wrong, and when it happened it was not accompanied with a loud noise or jolt. Instead, the wrench light on the dash illuminated and I began slowing down. Applying pressure to the accelerator had no effect. I quickly had to navigate across three lanes of traffic while quickly slowing as I coasted to the shoulder of the road. As the car slowed below 20 mph, it began noticeably shaking and surging. This continued once at a complete stop. I then shut the car off and waited approximately 10 minutes before trying to start it again. It cranked for a while before finally catching. I was then able to drive normally again and get off the highway to a safer location. Since this occurrence, I have taken my car to the Ford dealer twice. The first time they could do nothing for me as "the service engine light did not illuminate and thus no code was registered". as the issue continued and increased in frequency (now occurring at speeds as low as 20mph and 45mph, and as quickly as 2 minutes after leaving my house), I took the car back to the dealer where they were able to get it to replicate the issue while driving it. They determined it was a bad throttle body. I am now waiting on this part which is currently on back order. I was told there are over 8,000 orders ahead of me and it could be over a month before the part is ready. As a result, I have a car which is unreliable and tends to stall every time I drive it.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

May 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated independently and began jerking. The contact shut the engine off and restarted the vehicle. The failure recurred and the vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician stated that the electronic throttle body would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Aylett, VA, USA

Nov 152012

Fusion 4-cyl

The vehicle stalled/lost power, while making a turn at 15-20 mph. I took it to dealership to have it checked. I was told that they couldn't find a problem. It happened a second time while trying to merge into a highway at about 40 mph. I called for a tow truck. While waiting I tried to start it after 15/20 minutes. It started, but waited for tow truck since I was afraid to get on the road. It was looked at again at the dealership repairshop and was told that the problem couldn't be found, but that perhaps the throttle system needed to be cleaned after 30,000 miles. This cost around $250. The problem happened a third time at about 10 miles per hour on May 17, 2013. This time the vehicle didn't start as in the past. Had both engine light and wrench light. Had to be towed. This time, the dealership repairshop, norris Ford techs, said that it was definitely the throttle mechanism and that it had to be replaced. It was in the shop for three days since they had to order the part. Despite this major repair, it happened again today, June 7, 2013. I had the cruise control set at 55mph. The car lost power, started shaking, and stalled. I've been luckily so far that noone has hit me from the back, but I'm very concerned and afraid that I decided to report it. This Ford Fusion problem needs to investigated.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 012013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was stated that the throttle body needed to be replace. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 042013

Fusion 4-cyl

Traveling on expressway the car had no throttle. Pressing the gas pedal but no response. Engine started to miss fire. Wrench light came on. Pulled over, shut car off. Started up and ran ok. Pulled into an advance auto they scanned no codes. Next day on expressway again. Same thing happened. This time engine light came on. Taking back to dealer today.

- Sarver, PA, USA

May 302013

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the malfunction indicator lamp illuminated and the engine stalled. The vehicle was coasted to the side of the road where the engine was restarted. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The failure was contributed to the electrical throttle. The vehicle was to be repaired when the part became available. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Hampton, GA, USA

May 072013

Fusion

Going over 50 miles an hour car cut off on highway likely did not get killed by the car behind me. Turned off then it restarted. Now does it all the time. I took it to the dealer and they are saying it is a throttle body and I do have an extended warranty but they will not cover this. No one has this part shortage.

- Cibolo, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Fusion

6-1-13,2010 Ford Fusion with 4 cyl. Approximately 35 mph, car began to shudder, would not accelerate then cut out. Wrench light came on. Coasted to side of road and pulled off. Tried to restart car, restarted on second try. Ran fine the 20 miles back home. Same thing occurred on 6-4-13.

- Newport, NC, USA

May 042013

Fusion 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 37 mph, the vehicle stalled with the illumination of the check engine warning light. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where it was advised to the contact that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 5,760.

- Jackson , MS, USA

May 232013

Fusion

I was driving down the interstate and my car started to slow down and I couldn't accelerate. Pulled over and restarted the car and it drove it home. The next day the same thing happened as I was pulled out of the driveway but cutting it off and back on no longer fixed the problem. It is currently at a Ford dealership the throttle body is having to be replaced. The part is on national backorder. So I definitely think this is a serious problem that should be recalled so everyone knows to have it fixed. And we shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars to have something fixed that was faulty to begin with.

- Columbia, SC, USA

May 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

The wrench icon lit on the dashboard while driving on the interstate. Vehicle immediately lost power and had to be quickly driven to the shoulder of the road. Car could not be driven further. Vehicle towed to nearest Ford dealership. Dealership advised me throttle body had failed. Vehicle at dealership for over 2 weeks, and cost 900 dollars. Not covered by warranty since vehicle was just beyond 60,000 mile warranty.

- Maple Shade, NJ, USA

May 222013

Fusion

Driving 45 miles per hour, when car just started shaking then stopped, glided over to breakdown lane. Car started again after a minute or so went on our way. Next day car stopped again, twice. Took it into Ford dealership. They said it was the throttle body and is on back order but we can clean it, they did and charged $250 for service. Well it is happening again and again. We bought this car brand new in 2010 for our retirement car, it has only 38000 miles. We are afraid to take long trips, so we are stuck to home with only grocery store and other runs. What a retirement!!!!!!!!! we traded in a 2003 Crown Victoria, Ford of course. My first car was a 1962, galaxie 500 and have had Ford ever since, can send you pictures of all our Ford. Never had a Ford with a problem, ever, talk about scary, we are in out upper 60S and driving this car is so really scary. We do not need to have or cause an accident. It keeps happening, sad for us.

- Delmar, MD, USA

May 272013

Fusion 6-cyl

While driving down the highway at 50 mph in my 2010 Ford Fusion, the engine shut down and I was unable to get the engine to do anything but remain at idle, I coasted to the shoulder of the road. I shut the engine off and then restarted it. I managed to get back home. I took the car to a Ford garage and they determined that the throttle body was bad. They have ordered a new throttle body so they can make the repair.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

May 292013

Fusion

This morning my wife told me her car would not accelerate and had acted like it was out of gas. She said when she stopped and turned the car off and then restarted the car it worked fine for a few miles. I decided to take it to my mechanic. On the way there the car would get up to around 40 to 45 and then seem to loose power. When I would pull over the car would begin to shake. I had to turn the car off and wait a couple of minutes and then restart it and it would be fine for a while. Finally made it to the mechanic and after being checked it turned out to be the throttle body. The mechanic said they called for the parts and there were over 4,000 on back order. There were able to find one and hopefully it will arrive in a day or so. With that many on back order and all the comments here you would think this would be a recall item. I can't imagine what could happen if you were in heavy traffic and this happened. It is a safety issue that needs to be addressed.

- Cleveland, TN, USA