2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 34 of 38)

Nov 182012

Fusion

This is the second time in a month that we have had to have the throttle body repaired. The first time, there were error codes that could be used to correct the problem but in less than a month the same problem occurred and this time the entire throttle body has to be replaced. While driving the car lost the ability to accelerate and all propulsion systems did not work. The brakes worked fine but there was no response from the car when I pressed down on the accelerator. This problem needs to be fixed and a recall should be ordered. I have had to pay for this problem 2X and could have been hurt when I was unable to accelerate on the highway and just able to get off the road in time.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Nov 012012

Fusion

2010 Ford Fusion. Consumer writes in regards to throttle problems. * smd the consumer stated twice, within the past two weeks, while driving at speed, the engine suddenly, and without any action by him, went to idle. The accelerator pedal had no effect. Fortunately, he was able to coast out of traffic. After a few minutes wait, the engine restarted and ran fine. The local Ford dealer diagnosed the problem as being in the throttle body and it was replaced, presumably with an identical part. Updated 01/23/13 updated 05/13/13

- Spartanburg, SC, USA

Sep 122012

Fusion

Driving down the road my car started shaking really bad and had no power pushing on the gas and would do nothing I had no where to pull off finally coasted to a drive and shut it off and started back up and it ran find for about a month then as I was going across the highway I gave it gas and it would do nothing and I nearly got hit by a semi truck. There's a lot of people having the same trouble and Ford won't put a recall on it. Someone is going to get killed. I'm currently trying to get them to fix it after my warranty just ran out. Thank you for your time this is a serious issue and hope Ford resolves this issue.

- Harrodsburg, KY, USA

Oct 272012

Fusion 4-cyl

Throttle body failure: Fist occurrence- driving on highway all of a sudden no power. Pressing on the gas nothing happens. No check engine light came on. Pulled off to the side of highway and put the car in park. The car starting shaking and the wrench light came on. Turned car off, then back on and everything was okay. About 6 hours later this happened again as I was passing in the fast lane, then suddenly lost power. Again, no check engine light. Same scenario as the first. Took it to my mechanic and no error codes register. He checked twice. So for a week and a half the car was fine. Then happened twice again, no warning, just lost power. This time a check engine light came on after I put the car in park. Had it towed to the auto shop and a code did register this time. Had it taken for Ford and they had to replace the throttle body. This was a very dangerous situation especially when speeding up to pass as the speed limit on that part of the highway is 75 so cars were coming up fast behind me. If I had caused an accident and injuries occurred the fist or second time it happened on the highway, it would have seemed my fault and there would have been no error codes to at least validate what happened. Please, please, issue a recall for the throttle body before someone is hurt. Not to mention the people just out of warranty that have to pay for this repair.

- Helotes, TX, USA

Nov 082012

Fusion

2010 Ford Fusion on Nov 8 2012 driving approximately 67 miles per hour with cruise control on and set, vehicle suddenly lost all engine power. Repair light (lighted wrench) came on, cruise control went from green to amber. Engine remained on but accelerator no longer worked. When accelerator depressed, engine did not respond. Vehicle coasted to a stop. Brakes, steering, and lights still worked. Once stopped, shifted to park and depressed the accelerator and still no response from the engine. Turned car off. Restarted car. Restart took a few extra seconds but did start. Car operation returned to normal. Cruise control worked. No further issues. Weather was clear, no rain or wind, road was smooth.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Jan 102010

Fusion 4-cyl

2010 Ford Fusion sel. Customer writes in regards to continued transmission problems. The consumer stated the transmission would slip harshly and hesitate on acceleration. The recall repair did not correct the transmission problems. It was determined that the valve body and solenoid body were defective. Also, one of the tires was leaking air, there was an issue with the traction and brakes. There were noises coming from the front of the vehicle. The steering wheel would not lock into place, the cd player did not work at times, the driver side visor did not stay in place, the gas over flow tube was inoperative, the vehicle would pull hard when the brake was applied. The rear driver's side door had to be slammed extremely hard, in order to close it. The driver's side seat belt was backwards. The passenger side windshield wiper dragged on the windshield and the vehicle would sometimes surge on its own. Each time the consumer went to the dealer about certain problems, she was told no problems were found.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 302012

Fusion 4-cyl

The car would not accelerate. It did not lose its braking or steering, but we had no choice but to pull over. Updated 11/07/12 updated 11/15/12

- Fitzgerald, GA, USA

Oct 272012

Fusion 4-cyl

Car would not accelerate engine light came on I turned car off started and it ran for about 100 feet and would not accelerate towed to dealership and they replaced the throttle body and motor assembly I'm glad we were not on the highway.

- Berea, OH, USA

Oct 022012

Fusion

This is the second time car lost power and the wrench light came on also shuddered pull to the side of the road and restarted the car. Fault cleared after this.

- Bushnell, IL, USA

Oct 062012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph the vehicle would go into shut down mode, jerk violently and then slow the vehicle down 2 to 3 mph. There were no warning lights illuminated before or after the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised him they needed to diagnose the failure with the throttle body injector. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileage was approximately 52,000.

- Johnson, TN, USA

Sep 142012

Fusion 4-cyl

On freeway going 65mph with cruise control in pause mode. When I tried to accelerate I heard a noise, the wrench light went on & I lost all power although the motor continued to idle at very low RPM. After being towed, the car started right up and seemed fine. Took it to Ford and they found no codes coming up. 3 weeks later the exact same thing happened. Ford again said no codes. I read all of the reports about the bad electronic throttle body problems people were having, I told the dealer to replace it even if they were not going to pay for it. The dealer insisted he had never heard about this problem even though I gave him 11 pages of complaints from the NHTSA website. Ford did not pay for the repair. This can be a very dangerous safety issue. I was lucky enough to get off to the side of the freeway in time before getting hit. There should be a recall.

- San Mateo, CA, USA

Jan 102012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving about 70mph when I realized, the gas pedal wasn't working. There was no acceleration then the car starting knocking like it was out of gas so I coasted over to the side of the road. I turned the car off, waited about 5 mins and tried to start the car. It started up fine and drove fine the rest of the way home. A few days later, I was turning at a light and it the acceleration stopped again. Fortunately, there was a median for turn lanes that I coated in to. Otherwise, this could have been an accident. I took the car in to Ford, they replaced the throttle body and motor assembly. It took several days because I was told that the part was on back order and that Ford had changed manufacturers. This made me wonder why was the part on back order - it seemed like such an odd thing to happen on a fairly new car and why would Ford have changed manufacturers. I googled my year and model and discussed this same thing has happened to a lot of people. My son started driving a couple of months ago and thank goodness this happened with me in the car and not an inexperienced driver. With the car suddenly dying and no gas, this presents with a very dangerous situation depending on the road and traffic you may be in. I think Ford needs to recall this and make repairs before someone is injured or killed.

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Sep 172012

Fusion

75 while driving at highway speed car would stop being responsive to the accelerator pedal being depressed. The car would go into limp mode and shake violently. The obd system's & the wrench(powertrain light became illuminated. I proceeded to pull off on to the shoulder of the road and turned the car off. Lights reset and car would run okay. This occurred 12 times prior to the obd codes could be determined. Code P2111 and various related codes. Throttle body stuck open. This problem could potentially have caused a fatal collision in heavy traffic.

- Frankfort, NY, USA

Sep 122012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact was in traffic and neither the brake pedal nor the accelerator pedal was depressed when the vehicle began to roll forward. Immediately, the vehicle abnormally accelerated to 35 mph. The contact attempted to control the unintended acceleration but the steering wheel and the brakes had become operable. As a result, the contact crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy and the front driver side seat belt did not restrain the contact properly. The contact sustained a fractured toe, a bruised sternum and bruising to the forehead. The police reported to the scene and a police report was filed. The contact was transported to the hospital via ambulance. The police inspected the vehicle but could not determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was towed to a collision center and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The manufacturer advised the contact that an engineer would be sent to inspect the vehicle. Prior to the crash, the contact noticed slight surging and had taken to the vehicle to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician recalibrated the computer. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Covina, CA, USA

Sep 202012

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph and attempting to accelerate, the vehicle would not respond. The vehicle started to shake while decelerating. The contact stopped the vehicle as the wrench warning light illuminated and the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the failure could be related to the throttle body however, a diagnostic was not performed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure and current mileage was 74,300.

- Hattiesburg, MS, USA

Sep 012012

Fusion

On a typical good weather day I was driving around running some errands in the city. Shortly after I started the car going at a city traffic rate of speed...approx 35-40mph...I got approximately 5miles out and the car began to slow down, and a wrench sign appeared. Even with my foot on the accelerator, I could not accelerate, and went to pull off to the side of the rode which I was barely able to do. Once I was fully out of the road, I put the car in park, and before I could shut the car off, it began to shake/ vibrate. I turned the car off and let it sit a couple minutes and I proceeded to start the car up, which it did so like the day I bought it, and the wrench sign went away. I proceeded to my first destination with out any problems. I left my destination and proceeded to my next...I got about 3miles out and the car did, and showed the same thing. So as I decided to just head home which was no more than 10 miles away, the car did the same thing 5 more times and the check engine light came on!!!!! I am now home and afraid to drive anywhere. I got online to see what it could possibly be, and I have not been able to call a mechanic because it is of course a holiday weekend!!!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 312012

Fusion

For several weeks I've been noticing a sputter/vibration when in idle or park. This has only happened intermittently. This morning, while driving to work at approximately 65 mph, car suddenly begins to lose power and surge/vibrate/sputter and I notice the wrench light illuminated. I'm completely unable to accelerate and all I can do is coast to a stop on the shoulder of the (very busy) highway. After shutting the car off and sitting for about 15 minutes I'm able to restart the car with no indication there was ever a problem. The car is running smoothly and wrench light is off. I drove it to the nearest dealer's service department where I left it for inspection. As usual, I had to call the service department for an update and was told that the car was not "acting up" and everything seemed to be fine. They did agree to keep it for another round of inspections for the next day or so but I suspect I'll get the same response. After doing some light research, I've discovered that this is a very common issue with the Fusion but there is no recall or tsb addressing it. I've read post after post after post written by infuriated Fusion owners about this problem. It's time for Ford to own up to this, get a solution, and send out the recall notices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Chatsworth, GA, USA

Aug 282012

Fusion 4-cyl

I had been driving on a surface street for about 1 mile after coming off a highway. The car had come to a stop at least twice at traffic lights. I was coasting (foot not on brake or accelerator) when the car accelerated on its own from ~30 mph as if the cruise control (cc) had been activated. I touched the brake as quickly as possible (probably < 1sec of acceleration) and conditions returned to normal. Looking at the dash, I noted that the cc master switch was on, but cc was not active before acceleration event or after braking. State during acceleration is unknown. My fingers were nowhere near the cc buttons (or any other steering wheel buttons) when the event occured. Prior to the event: I was on a highway traveling about 60-65 mph with cc on and active. When cc is active, I always keep a thumb on the cancel/resume button. Traffic slowed and I braked, then hit C/R (turning cc back to active -- my error). I immediately noticed the error and set the cc back to inactive (either by brake or cancel, I can't recall). Cc was left in its master-on/inactive state when I came off the highway with active velocity set somewhere in the 60-65 mph range. This was the state of the cc system when the above described event occured.

- Santa Monica, CA, USA

Aug 272012

Fusion

I was pulling my 2010 Ford Fusion hybrid into a parking space at about 3 mph and the car suddenly surged forward. To avoid impact into the car in front of me, I turned the car into a parking block next to my parking space. As I did this, I jammed on the brake, put it in park and turned it off. Damage to front bumper and casing in front of tire from hitting the parking block. Drove to dealership with no problems. Diagnostics revealed nothing. Contacted Ford Corp. About the incident and will await to see if they will cover damages to my vehicle.

- Haddonfield, NJ, USA

Aug 142012

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving down the highway when I noticed that I could no longer accelerate. I coasted to a stop, the car shaking as it came to a stop. I placed the car in park, turned the car off, and restarted. It started up fine, and then it happened again about 10 minutes later. After a mechanic was unable to duplicate the problem, I thought it was perhaps "bad gas" and moved on. Two weeks later, it happened twice, once stopping me in the middle of a busy intersection (because this time I wasn't going 60mph this time). The diagnosis from Ford: A faulty throttle body sensor. The car is barely three years old, it has a significant defect (not caused by wear-and-tear or user-error), but it is not covered under their warranty. The mechanic at Ford says that they see a lot of these situations. They are grossly negligent in not warning families and offering to fix their mistakes by replacing the bad throttle body components.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA