Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Ford significantly updated the Fusion for the 2010 model year. We wish they hadn't

2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 35 of 38)

Aug 102012

Was driving down the highway at 60-65 mph when suddenly car jerked and lost all acceleration power. The rpms were stuck (not going up or down) and car began to slow down. The wrench light came on. I had to pull to the side of the highway to avoid getting hit. Tried putting the car in park and back into drive, but it started shaking, so had to turn off the car, let it sit for a few minutes and re-start the car. It drove normally after re-start, however this was the second occurrence in one week and am now scared to drive it long distances or on the highway. Ford needs to fix this issue before someone gets hurt!

- Waterford, MI, USA

Jul 262012

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 40 mph the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle began to shake when the contact attempted to start the vehicle. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The failure recurred four different times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the throttle body would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000. Updated 10/10/12

- Florence, AL, USA

Aug 042012

Driving on highway the accelerator stopped working. Pulled the car off the road avoiding accident. Turned car off. Turned car back on working normally. 1 mile later same problem occurred. This happened 12 times in 12 mile stretch. Throttle body is bad. This is common problem and needs to be recalled.

- South Point, OH, USA

Jul 252012

Driving on Florida turnpike, just got on highway and at high speed the check engine light came on, diagnosed as code P2111, throttle stuck open by dtc reader. Immediately lost power and about grinded to a halt, had to pull off road and limp to next exit. Vehicle stuck in idle until restarted and had no further problems for a few miles but keeps coming up. Cannot drive car on highway for fear of another dangerous failure. Ford says throttle body is bad, no warrantied after 36,000 miles.

- Cutler Bay, FL, USA

Jul 272012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact tated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The technician stated that the throttle would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Jul 282012

Fusion 4-cyl

I had this issue when I first bought the car. Driving on the hwy going 65 and all of a sudden the car lost acceleration and shook violently and stalled out. The wrench light came on and the vehicle went into stealth mode. This happen again on 07/16/2012, my daughter was driving the car. Then it happen again on 07/28/2012. I took the car into the dealership and they did not get any of the codes, I guess because we turned the car off. At this point, I do not know what to do.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jul 302012

All of a sudden the RPM's immediately dropped to a rough idle. All throttle response was lost, I pulled over on the highway, where the vehicle was in limp mode with the check engine and wrench lights illuminated. The engine was idling very erratically and shaking, there was no response when pressing the accelerator. After shutting down the car, it restarted ok and drove. It suddenly did the same thing 2 more times before I was able to get home. The obd2 code was P2111, the drive by wire throttle bodies on these cars are faulty. Seems to be a common problem.

- Cumberland, RI, USA

Jul 272012

Fusion 6-cyl

My 2010 Ford Fusion V6 sel surged, shook violently and stalled out. A light shaped like wrench appeared. I pulled over and let it rest for about 30 seconds, then tried to start. It started up and I drove home. After researching online, I found many, many other Ford customers with my year vehicle were having the same problem. Dealers were telling them it's a bad throttle body.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Jul 242012

Fusion 4-cyl

The vehicle lost all power at 70 mph and a wrench light came on. This was very, very dangerous. I pulled to the side of the road and turned the vehicle off as it would not move forward anyway. It had a rough restart, but then seemed to be better though still running rough. The wrench light went out. It took it in for servicing at the dealer where they diagnosed the throttle body. This was a very scary and dangerous experience.

- Richfield, OH, USA

Jul 192012

I was driving on a busy highway going about 70 mph and all of a sudden I had no gas peddle. I had my 3 year old daughter in the car at the time. I had no clue what was going on and almost got hit from behind bc I had not touched my brake yet. I pulled over and my car did restart but I did not make it far before it did it again. I took got my car to the dealership and they told me the throttle body needed to be replaced. My car has 40,000 miles I got it brand new off the lot and it's not covered in the extended warranty. The dealership acted like it was no big deal. Let me drive off the lot. They also wanted 250 more to repair it. Looking online I'm finding out that this is happening to so many people. Ford needs to have a recall on this part before someone does in an accident. I called Ford myself and filed a formal complaint. Please everyone must do the same that is the only way to prevent this from happening to someone else.

- Derby, KS, USA

Jul 232012

Fusion 6-cyl

While traveling on the expressway with the cruise control on my engine returned to idle speed and there was no response from the accelerator pedal. I had to coast to a stop on the shoulder, put the car in park, shut it off, and restart it. The next day this happened again twice, the check engine light came on, I read the code and it was P2112 throttle actuator control system stuck shut. I did some research and there are apparently some known problems with the throttle body assembly. My car is out of warranty and the dealer told me this part isn't covered under the extended emissions warranty. I was lucky that this didn't happen while I was turning or merging into traffic.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jul 222012

Fusion 4-cyl

Was driving on at 65mph on a state highway and passing another vehicle when my vehicle suddenly stopped responding to the accelerator. The engine dropped to 750 RPM and wouldn't do anything in response to my attempts to accelerate. The vehicle slowed quite rapidly because of this problem and I had to take evasive action to avoid a crash. There was no warning prior to it happening and no sounds associated with the incident. If my wife had been driving I know there would have been an accident. After turning off the vehicle and restarting it, the vehicle drove properly. When I returned home, I checked for any codes and found there were none. Took the vehicle to the dealer for repair and was told "it is probably the throttle body control; we know there have been many incidents like this". this was reported yesterday in another incident but not with "speed control" as the affected part. I did not know it was an option at that time.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Jul 222012

Fusion 4-cyl

On 7/22/2012 at approximately 2000 hours my family was traveling southbound on Georgia state route 3 - us hwy. 41 in rocky face, Georgia when our vehicle (2010 Ford Fusion automatic transmission) suddenly without notice went from a solid cruising speed of 40mph to an abrupt halt - nose of the car actually went forward towards the ground so abruptly that it made contact with the ground. The vehicle stalled (still barely running) in the lane of travel and would not get any throttle acceleration. My family and vehicle was almost struck by on coming motorists from the rear due to the abrupt stopping and the vehicle would barely get any throttle acceleration. After the Georgia state patrol trooper came to assist the car would not go above 25 mph without suddenly stalling and the check engine light coming on along with an orange wrench symbol. The vehicle had to be abandoned at the dalton Georgia state patrol post due to this issue until Ford could send a representative to tow the vehicle to the local dealer where we purchased. The local dealer on 7/23/12 informed us that this is an on-going problem that Ford is aware of and that the "throttle body" would have to be replaced. Upon further online investigation I found that this issue is widespread and reported since 2010 & has caused very unsafe conditions for motorists such as it did with my family. I am asking you all to look into recalling the "throttle body" on the 2010 Ford Fusion to be replaced. This is a problem that Ford is aware of and they are blatantly passing the blame off onto the consumer and someone (if not my own family) is going to get hurt. It is unsafe for a late model vehicle that has been serviced as required by the manufacture every 3-5 months to have these abrupt issues and break my family down in the roadway of travel on a major us highway. NHTSA please have Ford correct before someone gets injured!!

- Tunnel Hill, GA, USA

Jun 262012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the throttle failed. The tachometer displayed 2,000 rpms however the vehicle was not responsive to acceleration attempts. The contact parked the vehicle and later, the failure was corrected however the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or a repair shop for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The current mileage was 60,506. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jul 142012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. While driving approximately 5 mph and entering a parking space, the vehicle accelerated rapidly as the contact slightly depressed the accelerator pedal. The contact applied the brakes but the vehicle would not respond. The contact crashed into a concrete pillar. The contact sustained bruising to the shoulder and breast plate from the seat belt. The vehicle sustained damage to the bumper. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostics where the technician stated that the transmission was loose but did not mention if the crash was related to the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 192012

On June 19, 2012, driving at approximately 40 mph, the car does not respond to pressing gas pedal, and it slows to a stop; everything else seems to continue to work fine. Turned car off, then restarted it with no issues. On July 7, 2012, again driving at about 40-45 mph, the car starts to jerk, the gas pedal doesn't work, and the car starts to slow, while jerking, and a wrench/tool symbol appears on the dashboard. I pulled over, turned the car off, then turned it back on. I made it about 1 mile (close to home) and the car loses power in the same manner, jerking and slowing, gas pedal doesn't work, and the wrench light and the engine light both come on. I was able to roll down the road into my driveway. Final incident with the same issues occurred on July 9, 2012. I called Ford (car was still under warranty), and they said it was the throttle body, and the throttle body was replaced.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Jun 132012

I and my children were traveling down the highway at 60 mph and I all of a sudden I could not give the car any gas. The motor was still running but I had no control over the gas. So I coasted until I could pull over. As I slowed down, the car shuttered. I turned the car off and restarted it. It ran fine for awhile. Then it happened again and again (as I was entering an intersection, turning onto a major highway, and rounding a curve) until it was happening 3-4 times in a trip. I took the vehicle in to the dealership and they cleaned the throttle body. It ran ok for about 2 weeks and then became worse than it was before. I took it back to the dealership and they replaced the throttle body. So now time will tell. I was/am concerned about the fact I might not have been so lucky to be able to get off of the road and could have been in an accident. I have seen that this is a common occurrence in the 2010 Ford Fusion. I have contacted Ford Motor Company as well to no avail.

- South Boston, VA, USA

Jun 252012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated while driving 40 mph, she attempted to accelerate and the vehicle did not respond. The wrench maintenance warning light illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact depressed the brake pedal and the vehicle began stalling and shaking, even as the contact shifted into park gear. The contact applied the emergency brake, turned off vehicle and restarted it. After the vehicle was restarted, the maintenance warning light was no longer illuminated. The failure was resolved momentarily. The contact continued driving and the failure recurred every five miles. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop where the vehicle was inspected and the failure was found in the throttle body. The air filter was defective and a burned spark plug was found. The approximate current and failure mileage was 54,000.

- Severn, MD, USA

Feb 022012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled and the throttle control warning lamp illuminated. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the throttle was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 48,000.

- Highland Springs, VA, USA

Jun 152012

Fusion 4-cyl

While cruising between 65 - 70 mph, vehicle stuttered, then "throttle control/transmission' warning light illuminated, and vehicle lost power. Accelerator pedal completely unresponsive and engine becomes erratic, but power steering and other electrical components unaffected. Able to coast to side of road, where engine continues to sputter, but does not stall. Changing transmission position has no effect. Turning vehicle off and then back on appears to rectify the condition. Two identical occurrences, but first time (06/15/12) with cruise control on, second time (07/06/12) with cruise control off. Dealership unable to find source of problem.

- Bethpage, NY, USA