2010 Ford Fusion engine problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 7 of 38)

Nov 192013

Fusion 6-cyl

The problem I am about to describe has happened twice within 5 days. Traveling down the interstate sudden loss of power with no response from the throttle. Yellow wrench light came on RPM's went to 1000 each time. After pulling over and shutting the car off and then restarting the engine bounced and coughed and then ran normal with no yellow wrench. I have called Ford and will have the problem taken care of tomorrow. How come they all know it's a throttle body problem but Ford is not addressing the safety issue with customers. It is all over the internet an obvious known problem. Toyota got killed for sudden acceleration but Ford does nothing for sudden loss of power.

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Nov 232013

Fusion

Saturday afternoon on 11/23/13 we were driving 57 mph when the car buckled and the little wrench came on. We were barely able to get off side of the road since there was a ditch beside us and we were on a state route so there were cars coming towards us and vehicles behind us. We waited a few minutes started the car and headed on our way. Later on that same day around 10pm the car did the same thing and we had no power while trying to accelerate in the middle of the night and the little wrench comes on. This time there was less traffic at night so we were able to somewhat get off the road. Again we sat there for awhile, started it back up and headed straight back to our house. Since we know what the problem is already due to my wife having the same make, model, year of the car and her own mother having to replace the same thing. The dealership said it was the throttle body that needed replace. We are able to call the same dealership that my car was originally purchased from the same place where my wife got her car from and get the part needed. My wife's story with her car is a bit more intense while I was driving on the highway of 70 mph the car buckled and lost all power and cars were flying by almost not allowing me to get off the side of the road. Almost got into an accident because of it. If they really want me to be a happy Ford customer I would hope they would recall this knowing peoples lives and safety are at risk when the car loses all control while driving. Only time will tell if I have to come back and voice another complaint. I come from a family of Ford owners and I'm thinking it will stop with us.

- Pandora, OH, USA

Oct 302013

Fusion 4-cyl

During the month of September, my car began suddenly shutting off while I was driving. This happened multiple times on the highway and surface roads. I would pull over, turn the car off and wait a few minutes. The car would work fine afterwards. I first had the battery checked which revealed a bad battery, I had it replaced. The car continued to have symptoms after the new battery was installed. I also noticed the stalling happened more when I filled the gas tank completely. I finally took the car back to the place I purchased it for diagnostics. I discovered that the throttle body was defective. I was told by a tech that the manufacturer had assembled new throttle bodies to replace the originals as the original throttle body did not work properly. Apparently, the intake was not opening/closing properly therefore the engine was not getting enough gas at times. The shop was able to pull codes from the previous stall events, P2111 & P2112. They replaced the throttle body assembly, ~ $300. I see many complaints regarding this issue and expect/hope a recall will be issued in the near future. As a side note, my ABS light was on as well. There was a known recall on the driver's side air bag assembly, shorted to ground. Ford replaced the air bag assembly at no charge. I hope this information is helpful.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Nov 182013

Fusion 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 45 mph, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 31,000. Updated 01/07/14 updated 01/09/14

- Naples, FL, USA

Fusion

Car stalled on highway- had to pull over to shoulder and restart auto ran for at about 5 mph- did not react to accelerator.

- Ladue, MO, USA

Nov 152013

Fusion 4-cyl

The car started to run rough, the engine light went on, there was no response to the gas pedal. I had enough speed to move to the shoulder. I turned off the car and the issue seemed to resolve itself. I happened two more times in the last three miles to my house.

- Nesconset, NY, USA

Nov 162013

Fusion

I was on an on ramp on the way in to work in the morning when my vehicle lost propulsion. I was accelerating and then the accelerator became unresponsive and the engine idled roughly between 750-1000 RPM. The 'wrench' light came in and I was able to roll to the side of the freeway. I turned off and restarted my vehicle and the malfunction had apparently cleared as the issue has yet to return, but will. I say 'will return' because the exact same thing happen 23sep while on the freeway traveling 35mph during morning rush hour. I brought the vehicle to the local Ford dealership for a diagnostic test ($) and they found nothing and had no ideas as to the potential cause. I was willing to accept it as a fluke, but now that it has happened again I know there must be a problem. I am hesitant to return to the dealership for another $80 diagnostic test when it seems that this is a prevalent issue... (nearly 95% of the complaints of this vehicle on this website). Is there a recall in the works for this vehicle malfunction?

- Silverdale, WA, USA

Fusion

Owner was driving a 2010 Ford Fusion on a multi-lane highway in stop and go traffic approaching a two lane tunnel on Friday, November 1, 2013. Vehicle was non-responsive when pressuring the accelerator, so had to pull over onto shoulder of highway. Even after turning the car off and then restarting the ignition, car would not move when pressing the accelerator, although it began to shake. The dashboard light displayed as wrench icon, which according to the owner's manual meant a potential transmission problem. Aaa towed car to residential neighborhood. The next morning, Saturday November 2, a third party towing company hired by Ford roadside assistance arrived to tow vehicle to the nearest Ford dealership. The tow truck urged driver to drive the car to dealership, and followed behind. After about 2 miles of driving on residential surface streets, car became nonresponsive to accelerator while driving around 10 mi/hr. The tow truck driver towed the vehicle the remaining distance to Ford dealership in colma, California. After waiting for an hr, dealer mechanic reported that the throttle body needed to be replaced, and advised that the powertrain warranty was inapplicable despite vehicle being within the 5 yr / 60,000 mi window. The Ford dealership performed the repair and collected payment the same day. After returning home with the vehicle, I discovered that pg 19 of the 2010 Ford owner's manual showed that the throttle body was a covered part that Ford should have replaced at no charge as an emissions-related component so long as the vehicle was within 8 yrs / 80,000 mi. Ford customer service agreed that pg 19 showed that this part should have been covered under warranty. However, they advised that their internal Ford computer database indicated that this part was only covered for hybrid vehicles despite the written manual making no such distinction.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Nov 142013

Fusion

I was about to drive onto to the main highway and all of the sudden my car started shaking violently, dropped speed to less than 10mph, no response from accelerator, car would not go. I was terrified because it was late at night and being a female alone at night with a car acting up is not comfortable. I pulled over after almost being hit after the drastic deceleration, I turned the car off and waited a few moments and restarted it. It drove fine about 2 minutes before having the same issue, I was trying to just get home. This happened 4 more times before I reached my home which was 10 minutes away. I was on my way to pick up my child and am thankful that he was not in the car at this time. Is it gonna take someone being seriously injured or killed before Ford recalls all affected vehicles and fixes the issue. I have always been a die hard Ford supporter driving no other manufacturer but after the safety of my family being put in jeopardy I am seriously considering another manufacturer and move on from Ford. The issue is determined to be the throttle body.

- Bowling Green , KY, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

While trying to accelerate for a green light the car began to vibrate and would not accelerate at all. I was able to move to a safe place at idle only speed. The car was towed to a Ford dealer who told me that the car could not be looked at until Monday. The car is under a Ford extended warranty. I was told by the Ford warranty program, by phone, that I could rent a car and the cost would be covered for three days under the Ford insurance program. I was billed for $359.24 for replacing a throttle body and motor asy which was not covered by the extended Ford warranty and therefore the rental was not covered either. This included $119.95 for a pin points test which was completely unnecessary since Ford has had to replace thousands of these parts and Ford has sent bulletins to Ford dealers about this problem.

- Bedford, MA, USA

Sep 072013

Fusion 4-cyl

The first time the incident occurred I was riding down the interstate and just out of no where the car cuts off without warning....in the middle of traffic!!! the orange wrench light came on and then the engine light. I was able to get to the side of the road and restart the car. I was able to get a diagnostic test done at oreilys and the code P1121 (or something like that) indicated that the throttle control was stuck open. I was able to drive the car on without incident. It has cut off several times since then without warning, but I continue to drive because this is my only form of transportation. It is totally unpredictable and dangerous!!! after talking to other Ford owners and doing my research online I see this is not an isolated problem. This is unsafe and the part should be recalled!!!! I have continued to drive and make sure that I am very cautious and I try not to go over 60mph, but after it happened again yesterday in a very compromising scenario... I'm going to have to buckle down and get it fixed.$$$$$$$$$$ I will never buy a Ford again!

- Daphne, AL, USA

Fusion

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Fusion. The contact was driving 35 mph when the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact placed the vehicle in park and restarted the vehicle after several attempts. The vehicle performed normally once restarted but the failure later recurred. The contact also stated that she had an issue with the vehicle jerking and failing to increase speed despite the accelerator pedal being depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic but the failure could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 94,000.

- Fort Hood , TX, USA

Oct 292013

Fusion 4-cyl

1st event-when I accelerated at a red light the car shuttered and barely moved. Luckily no collision. All of the warning lights came on. I turned the engine off. Then I restarted with no warning lights showing and drove home. 2nd event--in heavy traffic, I accelerated and again it shuttered and stopped moving. All of the warning lights came on. I turned off the engine which caused a backup and fortunately no accident! I restarted the engine and the service engine light came on. Worried that something might happen, I drove it to the Ford dealership. The car was ten days out of warranty. I was without a car overnight. They replaced the throttle body assembly ($185.03) with labor costs at $142.43.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 112013

Fusion 4-cyl

Instance #2 (in 2 days). Unresponsive accelerator pedal. I went out to my car in the morning to go to work. Started it up, backed out and went about 20 feet and the car started sputtering hard with the wrench lighting up just like the day before. I stopped and shut the car off. Restarted the car and noticed when it was turning over it did it a lot longer than usual, almost like it was stuck or something. I drove it about 1 mile to a breakfast place with no problems, shut if off and went in. (note - there is an instance #3 right after this ).

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

Nov 102013

Fusion 4-cyl

Instance #1. unresponsive gas pedal. I parked my Fusion at the store and went in for 20 minutes. Came out, started the car, backed up and pulled away slowly. About 30 feet from the parking spot in a heavily congested area the car jerked harshly and sputtered with the wrench lighting up. It would barely move even though I tried to tap the gas and then tried harder to get it out of the way and into a parking spot.. finally, I got in a parking spot and shut the car off. I popped the hood and remote started the car. The engine ran normal with no sputtering. I got back in the car and drove 1.5 miles home with no problems. (see instance #2).

- Sandy Springs, GA, USA

Oct 242013

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving at approximately 30 miles per hour in my neighborhood, the vehicle lost power and would no longer accelerate. It felt as if the car had violently run out of gas. This caused me to stop rather quickly. I turned the ignition off, waited 3 minutes, and started the car again. At this point, I was able to drive the 0.5 miles back to my home. I took the car to the dealership and the throttle assembly body failed and needed replacement. I was informed that this is a pretty common thing with Ford Fusion. Total bill was $598.

- Lake Mary, FL, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

While driving approximately 45mph the car suddenly started running rough and lost all power. RPM decreased dramatically and the car would not accelerate, however the engine did not stop running. The wrench indicator came on as I managed to safely get to a parking lot. I turned off the engine and waited several minutes. I re-started the engine and drove home with no further incident. Since the incident I took the car into a reputable shop for proper diagnostic which resulted in no indication or failure codes from the tests. There was no forewarning for the failure incident and I will say that I was in a precarious and dangerous traffic condition when the failure occurred. Through further research I found the following: Unfortunately this failure seems to be occurring more frequently and linked to a throttle body problem. The diagnostic codes for this failure apparently get erased when the car engine is cycled off then on, preventing a diagnostic test from capturing the code necessary for analysis (unless a diagnostic is performed while the incident is occurring). If the problem is a faulty throttle body the failure code should be P2111 or P2112. Ford has changed the part number of the throttle body replacement part from the original part causing suspicion to be cast on the original part. This warrants a safety recall due to the nature of the failure and possible injury potential when failure occurs in traffic, but has not been recognized by Ford.....yet.

- New Smyrna Beach, FL, USA

Nov 062013

Fusion 4-cyl

Throttle response stopped entirely at an intersection, resulting in a near rear-end collision. Subsequent extreme rough idle, bogged-down engine behavior, and difficulty to start engine. Faulty part is electronic throttle body, per NHTSA action number PE13003.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Fusion 4-cyl

I was driving South on coburg road about 10:00 am this morning and the car started to rock front and back and my speed suddenly dropped. I went from about 25 mph to drifting and about 2 to 5 mph in traffic. I coasted and turned at the next intersection and pulled over. All of a sudden a warning light came on to check the engine. I was able to restart the car and drive about 3 miles to the Ford dealership. This happened 3 times on the way to the shop. The total cost was about $350 and I was told that it wasn't covered under warranty. I was told it was the throttle body. We have 2 Ford Fusion and I am concerned that the same thing will happen to the 2012 while my wife is driving. Extremely unsafe.

- Eugene, OR, USA

Jun 142013

Fusion 4-cyl

This is a complaint for an issue that has an existing preliminary evaluation - NHTSA PE13003. I purchased a 2010 Ford Fusion sel in July 2010. It was purchased new. In may of 2013, while driving on city streets with my 3 year old daughter, my vehicle appeared to stall as I was turning at a traffic light. While the vehicle was still powered, my ability to control the vehicle or accelerate to speeds over 5 mph was instantly removed. I was able to limp to the side of the road and restart the car, which drove normally until the next day when I was driving across town to meet the person providing me a ride to and from the Ford dealership. Over the course of an hour, my vehicle exhibited the same symptoms 4 separate times while trying to get to a Ford dealership. The dealership reported to me the next ay that I would have to have the throttle body replaced, at a cost of $486. None of the cost would be covered under warranty, and that I would be advised to have the work done immediately as the necessary replacement part was in shortage nationwide, and the dealership only had 1 on hand. I had the part replaced, and the vehicle has functioned normally since.

- Sugar Hill, GA, USA